Gold PLATED jewelry on the Triumph

tryin2

Hi all!!

We went on a cruise, May 10th and bought some jewelry by the inch ON BOARD. I asked the vendor 3 times if it was solid gold, OF COURSE, is the answer!!! Totally false!! One neckless and five bracelets later, the four of us all bought gold plated jewelry thinking is was solid gold. now three of us get itchy skin when we wear them. Not very pleased with the scam!!

So just a warning for the rest of you thinking of shopping on board, DON'T!!!

The rest of the cruise was great, this just leaves a bad taste....Have another cruise in 3 months....won't be wastine a dime more for any other shop on board!!!

I know that I read on board the gold by the inch was gold plated, which is why I've never bothered to even look at it. I think there is a discription of the jewelry right there at the station selling it, or in the Capers that advertise it.

Sorry you got caught up in the moment, I'm really picky on what I buy on board, and when they have the cheap sales I know I'm not getting solid gold or superior stuff, I'm getting sale stuff;)

When you asked the question, they may have thought you were joking, so they played along.

Did you really think you were getting SOLID gold for $1 an inch when it is currecntly sell for over $900 an ounce?

when i was reading i could not help but laugh....I was on the Truimph in june and too brought an bracelet and an ancklet. I made friends with the guy who sold it to me and it was funny seeing people come up and ask is it real gold and the look on there faces when he said yes....It is like "For Real" :p

The good news is that I have one of the thin necklaces that I bought to put an inexpensive Vatican coin on and I have worn it for 10 years without the gold plating wearing off.

Btw, you can just send it back. You have a one year warranty and they will give you a full refund.

You will need your receipt. Here is who you contact:

Starboard Cruise Services

Customer Service Department

8034 N. W. 14th Street

Miami, Fl. 33126

1-800-540-4785

Just give them a call and let them know the problem. They will direct you from there.

We bought our son a Fossil watch and one of the hands fell off after 9 months.

We sent it back and received a full refund...no questions asked.

Only fine jewelry can be returned. I bought a ring, and called starboard and was told that only jewelry from the fine jewelry store can be returned, not costume jewelry (the stone fell out the day we were leaving the cruise, the glue apparantly wasnt good).

Only fine jewelry can be returned. I bought a ring, and called starboard and was told that only jewelry from the fine jewelry store can be returned, not costume jewelry (the stone fell out the day we were leaving the cruise, the glue apparantly wasnt good).

That stinks. Although I would not call a $65.00 Fossil watch "fine jewelry" LOL

DH bought a "gold by the inch" necklace on our first Disney Magic cruise. It looked nice at first, but the more he wore it the more dull and ugly the finish became. At that time they had a replacement policy, so on our next Magic cruise he was able to have it replaced for free. The second one did the same thing after a few months of wearing it though.

Amazing that people go on cruises and believe the "bargains" that the ship is selling.

Have always wondered why the ship's super shopper's nose does not grow due to his or her whoppers.

There is a world market for the precious stones that go into jewelry and why do people think that diamonds purchased in the Caribbean are such a bargain?

Or that people that they have never met before will have their own best interests at heart.

Love to cruise but do not think people should leave their brains at home.

DH bought a "gold by the inch" necklace on our first Disney Magic cruise. It looked nice at first, but the more he wore it the more dull and ugly the finish became. At that time they had a replacement policy, so on our next Magic cruise he was able to have it replaced for free. The second one did the same thing after a few months of wearing it though.

I believe the key to long wear is to purchase the very thin. The one I bought 10 years ago is very thin and has not lost its "polish" at all.

And perhaps 10 years ago, they did a better job of making them???

If I were the OP, I would still give Starboard a call. Some of the heavier chains are $5 an inch...and with 20 inches...that is $100.00!!

They do honor their guarantee; I always save the paper they give me with the "gold" when I pick it up. I like to buy it for ankle bracelets, knowing it is not great quality, but it works quite a long time for me before showing any wear. I also bought a ring in the gift shop years ago,and within the first year I had an issue with a small stone falling out. I followed the return policy and got my ring back repaired in no time!

Amazing that people go on cruises and believe the "bargains" that the ship is selling.

Have always wondered why the ship's super shopper's nose does not grow due to his or her whoppers.

There is a world market for the precious stones that go into jewelry and why do people think that diamonds purchased in the Caribbean are such a bargain?

Or that people that they have never met before will have their own best interests at heart.

Love to cruise but do not think people should leave their brains at home.

Rule of thumb.....don't buy on the ship or the recommended stores....unless you are really familiar with pricing and/or fall in love with a piece:)

Well, buying online from a well known site isnt any better I found out the hard way. They say full description if not as described. I bought a tanzinite ring for $329, with a 2.57 tanzinite, when it arrived it clearly was half that size, sent it back, and only got $379, they said as described. Just contacted them again, but it would have also cost me $40 for a appraisal and the jeweler would have had to remove the soft stone. I also paid $8.06 to return it and $25 to have it sized which is nonrefundable I was told last night. So, at best Im out $25 due to a HUGE listing error they havent even acknowledged. Luckily I took lots of comparison pictures to also prove my point to fight the decision ....

So, dont think you will get a bargain online either at certain sites selling jewelry. You cant even leave feedback like with ebay if you get jipped.

Every mall in America has a kiosk selling this stuff. If you must buy some of this crap, buy it at a local mall so that you can get it exchanged easily. My wife worked at one about 25 years ago when her aunt was managing the kiosk. She says they spent half of each day making replacements for people. And the company was STILL making money by the boat load. She made me a chain which quickly started flaking, revealing a reddish brass or copper material underneath. It is now glow-in-the-dark green and has been holding up a dart board in my garage for about 15 years now. I have been very satisfied. :p:)

Hi all!!

We went on a cruise, May 10th and bought some jewelry by the inch ON BOARD. I asked the vendor 3 times if it was solid gold, OF COURSE, is the answer!!! Totally false!! One neckless and five bracelets later, the four of us all bought gold plated jewelry thinking is was solid gold. now three of us get itchy skin when we wear them. Not very pleased with the scam!!

So just a warning for the rest of you thinking of shopping on board, DON'T!!!

The rest of the cruise was great, this just leaves a bad taste....Have another cruise in 3 months....won't be wastine a dime more for any other shop on board!!!

Surprised that you weren't told the truth about the metal!

Sailed on the Caribbean Princess in June I asked if the silver was really sterling silver. I was given the correct response -- jeweller's metal with a coating.

So if Princess was honest about it, I can't see why all the lines under Carnival aren't doing the same since so many people have allegeries these days. That is why you will see more and more stainless steel jewlerly being sold. It is about 1/3 the cost of sterling silver, tends to be heavier and never tarnishes.

MARAPRINCE

I remember it on the Splendor, sign stated gold plated. Tons of people gathered for it, I personally have no desire to purchase plated jewelry of any kind. Also some of it was up to $4 an inch, which in my opinion was way too much for plated jewelry.

Archived