Why Specialty Restaurants?

OV8

Where's the confusion? They suggest a mode of dress, follow it or do your own thing. RCI is not going to offend anyone over a suggested dress code unless that person is way out of line, and if you don't realise when you're way out of line.....:rolleyes:

You mean the confusion that this was originally a specialty restaurant thread & has turn into a debate about dress?

Gee - wonder how that could happen if a clear cut rule was in place.

:cool:Assuming that you are correct, the RCCL is guilty of sending out mixed signals and wrong info (AGAIN?). Just go off their web. Went under customer support, FAQ's, then food and beverage. The question is there regarding dress for Specialty Restaurants and Mystery Dinner Show. The answer is "We sugguest smart casual - JACKETS FOR MEN." My belief is that RCCL should not have a dress code if they do not enforce it. If you have one, then enforce it. One way or the other.:cool:

I'm correct (see the attached picture). :)

But I do agree that RCCL is sending mixed signals. I have seen the FAQ on their website suggesting jackets for men. The only thing I can think of is perhaps they've loosened up the suggested attire and haven't updated the website. Either way it's a bit confusing.

I can tell you that they are definitely strict about the no shorts policy. We personally witnessed two men being asked to come back wearing pants instead of shorts.

ChopsRes.jpg.eb32df4fbc548be65b05cba7c4b6de37.jpg

My argument is AGAINST the specialty restaurants.

Fact: We all have a limited number of dollars, and we cannot have everything we want.

Fact: The real cost of eating at a specialty restaurant is the MDR meal + the $40-50/couple surcharge + tip. That exact dollar figure is a bit elusive.

Just being on the cruise itself is special and memorable. I've already paid for the meal in the MDR, and it is good -- perhaps not as good as the other, fee-based options, but good. I can save the $40-50 per couple (plus tip) and use that at home for a nice meal out with my husband.

We don't have to "upgrade" or "supersize" everything we do to have a wonderful vacation.

The specialty restaurant on the ship is a little nicer than the MDR, but going out for an evening at home is much nicer than just another meal at home.

Thanks anyway but please don't speak for me and MY "limited amount of dollars" :rolleyes: .....I will dine at the SR several times and ALSO have a nice dinner out whenever I please...:eek: I may also run up several hundred dollars worth of cocktails on my account when I cruise as well! :p wait...scratch that "may run up" and replace it with "WILL run up" :D

There's always one night where I don't like the menu in the MDR. It's usually "Caribbean Night." We try to schedule the SR for that night.

When they first came out with the SR concept, I didn't see the point as I was always happy with my experience in the MDR. However, once we experienced Portifinos, we clearly saw the difference. The food and service were amazing and it felt so much more intimate.

I would have to agree with others that the quality of food in the MDR has slipped a bit in the last 5 years.

Thanks anyway but please don't speak for me and MY "limited amount of dollars" :rolleyes: .....I will dine at the SR several times and ALSO have a nice dinner out whenever I please...:eek: I may also run up several hundred dollars worth of cocktails on my account when I cruise as well! :p wait...scratch that "may run up" and replace it with "WILL run up" :D

The lady was clearly speaking her situation not yours.

Yeah look it up...narcissistic...= u.......zzzzzzzzzzzz.

As a foodie, I've always been interested in trying the SR on my three RCCL sailings. But I look at the menu at the door, and NOTHING appeals to me to even make a reservation (PORTOFINO).

I guess I need to sail on a ship with a Chops, except I read that they don't serve Prime meat. Someone please correct me.

I also hope there is not a general decline in the food in the MDR to get more people shelling out more bucks to $uppliment their dinner.

:cool:Read all the previous comments-----They are trying to make this a more memorable experience, i.e. something special. They ask that you wear a jacket. If you want to lower this experience for not only yourself, but for the others in the room, have your DH wear his tiddy whiteies. If not have him put on a jacket and keep it special. :cool:Yours is the attitude that has ruined the MDR on formal nights

It wasnt the style of dress that people wore in the MDR that ruined the formal nights, its the loud mouthed, self obsessed only want to hear their own voice people that ruined it for us! Why do they need to talk so loud when the people are right by them?

The ambiance, service and most importantly the quality of food is much better than the MDR in my-honest-opinion. You are not rushed during your meal, and your meal is prepared to order.

I have never felt rushed during any meal in a main dining room. In fact, more often then not, the service was too slow between courses. I have had several instances where dinner in the main dining room took 90 minutes which is way too slow for 3 courses.

I usually like to eat in the specailty restaurant 1 night. The quality of the food is higher and the often have an entree and appetizer that I would like to try that does not get served, even in lower quality, in the MDR.

For Alaska, we'll have bulkier clothes of course and less suitcase space because of the new airline weight regulations. Will my husband be fine with a sportcoat and ties (and shirts of course!) for the week or will he also need to bring a suit? He has not brought a suit the past couple cruises in the Caribbean as everyone seems to be dressing down since our first cruise 15 years ago, but I'm wondering about Alaska.

• 2 weeks later...
Would anyone agree that the quality of the food in the MDR has gone down in the lasy ten years?

Unlike many of you, I've only completed 1 cruise (second one is coming up soon :)) so I can't give a comparison on the quality over time. However, I thought that the food was very good and the service was excellent. Maybe it's just because I live a peasant lifestyle but I really had no complaints. Now I will say we had gone to Chops 1 night and it was a step above and well worth the $20 service charge.

P.S. I wore a jacket, so I'm not that much of a peasent and my "undies" were safely hidden. ;)

As a foodie, I've always been interested in trying the SR on my three RCCL sailings. But I look at the menu at the door, and NOTHING appeals to me to even make a reservation (PORTOFINO).

I guess I need to sail on a ship with a Chops, except I read that they don't serve Prime meat. Someone please correct me.

I also hope there is not a general decline in the food in the MDR to get more people shelling out more bucks to $uppliment their dinner.

My guess is that with the wholesale prices of Prime cuts, the steaks they serve are a very good quality "choice". As opposed to the MDR, which IMO is still serving the infamous

"Ranch steak" disguised under a different name.

I wanted to hear what are the opposing views for the Specialty Restaurants vs. MDR & WJ?

What are the compelling reasons to go with the SR's on some nights vs. the the other inclusive dining options ?

I am assessing the choices some what objectively this cruise & would welcome any comments!

For us it's simple.

1. There are a couple of menu's we don't care for in the MDR

2. To many people don't wash their hands before handling serving items in the WJ.

3. The food/service is just a little more personalized in the specialty restaurants.

Most nights we still dine in the MDR. We generally enjoy the atmosphere, enjoy getting to know the servers and enjoy the converstation with other guests. We will take breakfast in the WJ but, I really prefer to go to the MDR for breakfast when we can. Room service is also an option sometimes but, there's just never enough room and I hate leaving all those dishes for our cabin steward.

Archived