Why Specialty Restaurants?

OV8

If you don't see much difference, you must have been there on a REALLY off night.

I believe food opinions are like @holes - every1 has 1.

So there is really no point in saying 1 food tasting is substantially better than another esp. when you don't know individual preferences & are somehow trying to normalize things across the board.

We dined at chops one evening last week and ate at the cafe prom and the windjammer the rest of the evening. We had the my time dining so we didn't have to let the dining room staff know when we would not be there. All but the windjammer were great.......it was awful.

We have never cruised just for the food but rccl has to start limiting the choices available and make sure they are cooked well. Worst food in the windjammer of all cruises we went on. Salad...good (how can you ruin salad)...fruit and fries good as well.

Haven't been on a RCI cruise yet but on Disney, the speciality restaurant is 18 yrs and up only so it's a good way to get away from kids. RCI is 13 yrs and up after 7 pm but still getting way from younger children is still great.

Also, the food was much higher quality at the SR than in MDR. The atmosphere was a lot more romantic and dressy too.

We enjoyed the SR Portofinos.The extra attentive service and the upscale quality of the food was well worth it to us,but once per cruise is enough and we usually take 9 day or longer cruises.We like to keep the budget in check plus the food is a bit too rich to eat often,besides if we do it too much it stops being special ......................Frank:)

By the end of the night I was convinced they put the junior servers in the specialty restaurants..

Actually we were told the opposite. It is the very best servers that work the specialty restaurants. It was our MDR wait staff that told us that.

It is known that a meal in a SR takes a good 90-150mins so to some it service is slow but to others the less than rushed pace is very enjoyable

Thats not true. The tip is included in the surcharge. Anyone that tips MORE does so for... well, not because they must, or because it is expected. The tip is included.

And while there is absolutely nothing wrong with the meals in the MDR, they cannot really be compared tot the specialty restaurants. If you don't see much difference, you must have been there on a REALLY off night.

I absolutely agree. I eat in Chops one night every cruise.

Fact: We all have a limited number of dollars and we prioritize how we spend them. We choose to spend them in Portofino when we have an opportunity.
Well, you summed up my post in a word: priorities. You'd rather have one meal onboard that's a real zinger . . . I'd rather have one very good meal onboard AND ANOTHER very good meal later at home.
Thats not true. The tip is included in the surcharge. Anyone that tips MORE does so for... well, not because they must, or because it is expected. The tip is included.
You can find post after post debating this topic on this board. The general consensus seems to be that the lion's share of that fee goes to the ship, not to the wait staff. Do I know that for sure? No, all things tip-related are rather murky online; however, since I don't want to be the jerk who's stiffing the crew, I'll continue to tip where it seems appropriate -- and, in my opinion, based upon what I've read online, it seems appropriate at the specialty restaurants.
If you don't see much difference, you must have been there on a REALLY off night.
Did I say there wasn't much difference? Nope.

I said I'd rather save the money to have another meal out (later, at home) that'll be a "something special" in the middle of a ho-hum week rather than take a vacation week and add one more little "zing" in the middle of something that's already pretty great.

We ate in Portofino, and took on the Specialty Restaurant for the first time in 3 cruises while in the Western Med. We had friends that would eat there every night if given the opportunity, so we decided to give it a try.

That being said, I am perfectly happy with the main dining room. I never feel rushed or slighted in the least there. I think the quality of the food there has gone down over the 5 years since we started cruising, but so has the price for the cruise- so RCCL has to give up something.

For my money, I don't know that I would go to the SR again........unless it was a HUGE celebration for someone in the family, not just me and the DW.

The food in the specialty restaurants is inarguably far superior to either Windjammers or the main dining room, and the service is also much more personalized. The ambiance is also much nicer and more intimate, since the rooms are much smaller, less crowded and less noisy.

The food is much better for two reasons.

1) the quality of the food ingredients is better (better cuts of steak for instance)

2) the meals are prepared to order, not mass produced.

Having said that we usually visit each specialty restaurant once on each cruise, just for a special treat.

We also enjoy the main dining room and don't have any real issues with the food there.

That pretty much sums it up for me. I greatly prefer either SR over the MDR for a full sit down meal. I don't think it's even fair to compare them to the WJ since that is a buffet with minimal service.

And I guess I need to find a new countdown clock since mine are now from a censored place...:rolleyes:

I wanted to hear what are the opposing views for the Specialty Restaurants vs. MDR & WJ?

What are the compelling reasons to go with the SR's on some nights vs. the the other inclusive dining options ?

I am assessing the choices some what objectively this cruise & would welcome any comments!

SR's have a far better level of service than MDR or WJ...even when you get really great service in the MDR.

More ambiance and often you can get a far better view of the ocean going by, or in AK all the scenery....we were even pointing out whales and other sealife to those a for back from the window....amaazing what whales can do to those dining...forget the food watch the whales.

After enough times in MDR the food tends to get old...now I am almost at that point with Portifinos...so perhaps next will be get tired of Chops...oh well, I still love all of the food options in both SRs.

My argument is AGAINST the specialty restaurants.

Fact: We all have a limited number of dollars, and we cannot have everything we want.

Fact: The real cost of eating at a specialty restaurant is the MDR meal + the $40-50/couple surcharge + tip. That exact dollar figure is a bit elusive.

Just being on the cruise itself is special and memorable. I've already paid for the meal in the MDR, and it is good -- perhaps not as good as the other, fee-based options, but good. I can save the $40-50 per couple (plus tip) and use that at home for a nice meal out with my husband.

We don't have to "upgrade" or "supersize" everything we do to have a wonderful vacation.

The specialty restaurant on the ship is a little nicer than the MDR, but going out for an evening at home is much nicer than just another meal at home.

It is person preferences, I would forgo crappy froo froo drinks for a night in one of those restaurants. and since we have come home with tabs as small as $200 we do not overdo it either. But then again we prepay excursions.

A person can actually go on a cruise and not spend another dime if they don't want to. We pre-pay our tips to get it out of the way and our only other expense is usually wine and perhaps a night in a specialty restaurant and one commemorative photo.

Do we think specialty dining rooms are worth it? Absolutely. Is it worth it to everyone onboard? Not really, there are some who resent having to pay more for a meal. But, when you stop and realize the food cost for each pax is about $12 per day, it does put it into perspective why they charge more for the finer quality food and the individual preparation.

I think everyone has the right to make their own personal choice, whatever it may be. There is no correct or better answer to this issue.

I believe food opinions are like @holes - every1 has 1.

So there is really no point in saying 1 food tasting is substantially better than another esp. when you don't know individual preferences & are somehow trying to normalize things across the board.

I think you are overgeneralizing here. Sure some people might prefer a Taco Bell steak taco to a steak from Ruth's Chris, but the steak at Ruth's Chris is unarguably higher quality meat and more expertly prepared. The difference between the main dining room and specialty restaurant on a cruise ship may not be quite so dramatic, but it is fact - not opinion - that the food quality and food preparation is superior at the specialty restaurant. There will always be those that prefer the main dining room and the specialty restaurants are certainly not for everybody - but the vast majority on this thread have pointed out that the food is better at the specialty restaurants and that is objectively true.

Would anyone agree that the quality of the food in the MDR has gone down in the lasy ten years?

I don't know about the last ten years, since I don't remember the food on my 1995 Nordic Empress cruise, but I've noticed a pretty significant decline in the last 2 years alone. If RCI is going to keep the base price of the cruise so low (we paid about $400pp for our OV on the Empress and could pay that today for an OV on a 4-nighter), then something is going to have to give. Some ships do a better job with their budget and menu choices - we've had very good luck on Vision, not so much on Mariner or Monarch lately.

And the service has also declined IMHO as the waitstaff is forced to take on more tables and duties. Your assistant waiter now is in charge of your wine and, more recently, cocktails since RCI has gotten rid of the MDR bar servers (at least they're phasing them out). Plus he or she has to do silverware, pour water and see to the things that your waiter doesn't do. Some teams can carry it all off, but as we saw at our table on Mariner in April, dinner can turn into a prolonged affair that simply isn't justified by the food that is eventually flung at you.

I think the specialty restaurants are good enough and have enough variety that I'd happily pay a surcharge on my cruise to eat there nightly (and have a guarantee that I could get a reservation).

Thank god for SR's, we dined in them most evenings after trying MDR a few times, the MDR in my opinion lacked imaginative food and the quality was poor. The extra cost was worth it in fact would pay double if they did increase the price. Portofino was our favourite.

Another Gem on the Brilliance was the sea view cafe, this was better than the MDR, their pasta and pizzas and salads were very good and fresh.

Would anyone agree that the quality of the food in the MDR has gone down in the lasy ten years?

I read this comment all the time and have to say...the quality of the food has never been that great. You certainly cannot compare it to the food in the specialty dining rooms, ever. I have always thought the food in the MDR is comparable to that of banquet dining, since it is similarly prepared.

Over the last 10-20-30 years cruise lines have had to compromise freshness and preparation because of CDC regulations. They now have more frozen and pre-prepared items than ever before.

But I also think that the general public has accepted of lower quality of everything across the board, clothing, food, haircuts, entertainment on television, etc...

However, I do also think it depends on the Head Chef on a cruise ship, he or she can influence the preparation a great deal. I've been on the same ship numerous times (Monarch when she was still on the West Coast), sometimes the food was pretty good, sometimes, eh.

:cool:Read all the previous comments-----They are trying to make this a more memorable experience, i.e. something special. They ask that you wear a jacket. If you want to lower this experience for not only yourself, but for the others in the room, have your DH wear his tiddy whiteies. If not have him put on a jacket and keep it special. :cool:Yours is the attitude that has ruined the MDR on formal nights

Just the other day, while thumbing through a book, I found my Chops reservation confirmation note from my Freedom cruise in January (good bookmark)! At the bottom it says:

Dress code: Smart casual (slacks, collared shirt) Shorts are not allowed

To Ourlovelycruise: Your husband is fine wearing khakis and a polo shirt. Have a great time!

We are certainly in the minority but we were unimpressed with our one specialty restaurant experience. I realize that we could have been there on an off night. We had great table mates and ended up regretting that we gave up an evening with them. I doubt we'll do it again unless we are traveling with people that are so inclined.

1 final question - is it 'all-u-can-eat' in the SR's or is there some modicum of sanity on left these ships? LOL!:D

If you can eat more than what they give you and want seconds then you can go back to the wj. I totally doubt you will be able to eat all they routinely give you.

I think the specialty restaurants are good enough and have enough variety that I'd happily pay a surcharge on my cruise to eat there nightly (and have a guarantee that I could get a reservation).

Or they have dumb it down enough for most ppl not to care & drive some others to spend their tokens to upgrade. Thus increasing RCL's margin all around.

Just the other day, while thumbing through a book, I found my Chops reservation confirmation note from my Freedom cruise in January (good bookmark)! At the bottom it says:

Dress code: Smart casual (slacks, collared shirt) Shorts are not allowed

To Ourlovelycruise: Your husband is fine wearing khakis and a polo shirt. Have a great time!

:cool:Assuming that you are correct, the RCCL is guilty of sending out mixed signals and wrong info (AGAIN?). Just go off their web. Went under customer support, FAQ's, then food and beverage. The question is there regarding dress for Specialty Restaurants and Mystery Dinner Show. The answer is "We sugguest smart casual - JACKETS FOR MEN." My belief is that RCCL should not have a dress code if they do not enforce it. If you have one, then enforce it. One way or the other.:cool:

My belief is that RCCL should not have a dress code if they do not enforce it. If you have one, then enforce it. One way or the other.

This I agree with. the confusion & frustration eminates from RCL themselves.

Therefore, we can rant vs. RCL but I find it unfair to rant vs. other customers who may be under the same confusion.

It seems in their efforts to catered to every1 & not offend any1, they have just made things difficult for some.

My belief is that RCCL should not have a dress code if they do not enforce it.

You got your wish. RCI doesn't have a dress code, just suggestions. They make the suggestion to try and influence the atmosphere they wish to maintain, but it is the cruiser's choice to follow it or not.

This I agree with. the confusion & frustration eminates from RCL themselves.

Where's the confusion? They suggest a mode of dress, follow it or do your own thing. RCI is not going to offend anyone over a suggested dress code unless that person is way out of line, and if you don't realise when you're way out of line.....:rolleyes:

Archived