Why Specialty Restaurants?

OV8

I wanted to hear what are the opposing views for the Specialty Restaurants vs. MDR & WJ?

What are the compelling reasons to go with the SR's on some nights vs. the the other inclusive dining options ?

I am assessing the choices some what objectively this cruise & would welcome any comments!

The food in the specialty restaurants is inarguably far superior to either Windjammers or the main dining room, and the service is also much more personalized. The ambiance is also much nicer and more intimate, since the rooms are much smaller, less crowded and less noisy.

The food is much better for two reasons.

1) the quality of the food ingredients is better (better cuts of steak for instance)

2) the meals are prepared to order, not mass produced.

Having said that we usually visit each specialty restaurant once on each cruise, just for a special treat.

We also enjoy the main dining room and don't have any real issues with the food there.

The specialty restaurants have much better quality food and many people also find the ambiance to be a big step up. Although you pay a surcharge, it is still significantly less than you would pay on land for a comprable land based dining experience. I enjoy the main dining room, but definitely eat in specialty restaurants at least twice on a cruise - and these meals are often a highlight of the cruise.

The ambiance, service and most importantly the quality of food is much better than the MDR in my-honest-opinion. You are not rushed during your meal, and your meal is prepared to order.

What is the dress code in the steakhouse style restaurants? Could DH get away with khaki pants and a polo or nice tropical button-up?

:cool:Read all the previous comments-----They are trying to make this a more memorable experience, i.e. something special. They ask that you wear a jacket. If you want to lower this experience for not only yourself, but for the others in the room, have your DH wear his tiddy whiteies. If not have him put on a jacket and keep it special. :cool:Yours is the attitude that has ruined the MDR on formal nights

Thanks for the insights every1.

Being a relatively rookie cruiser vs some of you I guess, the cruise on the whole IS the special occasion.

That said, I can see where one could need a more intimate setting to celebrate some personal event - where a big 'arena' full of fellow cruiser may not be suitable - then either of the 2 SR would be indeed a pleasant place to be.

1 final question - is it 'all-u-can-eat' in the SR's or is there some modicum of sanity on left these ships? LOL!:D

:cool:Yours is the attitude that has ruined the MDR on formal nights

*****??! That was a legit question by the poster.

No1 asked for your additional personal commentary - way to take it down a couple of notches.

What is the dress code in the steakhouse style restaurants? Could DH get away with khaki pants and a polo or nice tropical button-up?

Most definately! The "suggested" dress code is smart casual so khakis & polo or other collared shirt is very appropriate. I've been in Chops & Portofinos and what you're describing is entirely appropriate. Most gentlemen that I've seen (including myself) that wear jackets tend to take them off anyway during dinner so why bother wearing it in the first place.

Yes, this is perfectly acceptable, do not worry about the comment below -

:cool:Read all the previous comments-----They are trying to make this a more memorable experience, i.e. something special. They ask that you wear a jacket. If you want to lower this experience for not only yourself, but for the others in the room, have your DH wear his tiddy whiteies. If not have him put on a jacket and keep it special. :cool:Yours is the attitude that has ruined the MDR on formal nights

As was mentioned below, the suggested dress code is smart casual which does NOT mean a jacket is required. As a matter of fact, if you wear a jacket on a non formal night you will most likely be one of the only ones with one on.

Most definately! The "suggested" dress code is smart casual so khakis & polo or other collared shirt is very appropriate. I've been in Chops & Portofinos and what you're describing is entirely appropriate. Most gentlemen that I've seen (including myself) that wear jackets tend to take them off anyway during dinner so why bother wearing it in the first place.

Agree 100%. We even did the specialty restaurants on formal nights so that we did not have to dress formal. We did dress nicely, but not as formal as if we were in the dining room.

Yes, this is perfectly acceptable, do not worry about the comment below -

As was mentioned below, the suggested dress code is smart casual which does NOT mean a jacket is required. As a matter of fact, if you wear a jacket on a non formal night you will most likely be one of the only ones with one on.

Agree 100%. We even did the specialty restaurants on formal nights so that we did not have to dress formal. We did dress nicely, but not as formal as if we were in the dining room.

:cool:RCCL website states that suggested dress code for specialty restaurants in smart casual - JACKETS FOR MEN:cool: Like I said earlier, wear you undies if you like, but if you want to keep this a little more upscale, then wear a jacket. If once you are in there, stick it on your chair if you deaire.:cool:

My argument is AGAINST the specialty restaurants.

Fact: We all have a limited number of dollars, and we cannot have everything we want.

Fact: The real cost of eating at a specialty restaurant is the MDR meal + the $40-50/couple surcharge + tip. That exact dollar figure is a bit elusive.

Just being on the cruise itself is special and memorable. I've already paid for the meal in the MDR, and it is good -- perhaps not as good as the other, fee-based options, but good. I can save the $40-50 per couple (plus tip) and use that at home for a nice meal out with my husband.

We don't have to "upgrade" or "supersize" everything we do to have a wonderful vacation.

The specialty restaurant on the ship is a little nicer than the MDR, but going out for an evening at home is much nicer than just another meal at home.

The specialty restaurants have much better quality food and many people also find the ambiance to be a big step up. Although you pay a surcharge, it is still significantly less than you would pay on land for a comprable land based dining experience. I enjoy the main dining room, but definitely eat in specialty restaurants at least twice on a cruise - and these meals are often a highlight of the cruise.

I agree 100%, we dine at Chops and Portofino each cruise.

Why has not wearing a jacket in these dining rooms ruined the MDR on formal nights? The OP specifically asked for comments on these not the MDR.

Although 'smart casual' suggests a Jacket and Tie, it is acceptable to RCI to wear smart shirts and trousers (we wear black trousers and formal shirt).

I find your comments and disparaging remarks rude and uncalled for.

I do the S/R to help use up my shipboard credit.....now that it's use it or lose, I'm not that big of drinker...I sure don't need anymore cruise pic's of myself or any thing in the shops...oh & the food & service are pretty good too!:D

Fact: We all have a limited number of dollars, and we cannot have everything we want.

Fact: We all have a limited number of dollars and we prioritize how we spend them. We choose to spend them in Portofino when we have an opportunity.

Like I said earlier, wear you undies if you like, but if you want to keep this a little more upscale, then wear a jacket. If once you are in there, stick it on your chair if you deaire.

Putting your jacket on the back of your chair is really keeping things upscale.:rolleyes: As you stated earlier "Yours is the attitude that has ruined the MDR on formal nights". People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.:mad:

My argument is AGAINST the specialty restaurants.

Fact: The real cost of eating at a specialty restaurant is the MDR meal + the $40-50/couple surcharge + tip. That exact dollar figure is a bit elusive.

Just being on the cruise itself is special and memorable. I've already paid for the meal in the MDR, and it is good -- perhaps not as good as the other, fee-based options, but good. I can save the $40-50 per couple (plus tip) and use that at home for a nice meal out with my husband.

We don't have to "upgrade" or "supersize" everything we do to have a wonderful vacation.

The specialty restaurant on the ship is a little nicer than the MDR, but going out for an evening at home is much nicer than just another meal at home.

I hear you. Dollars are not limitless.

That said - I've had quite a few $500-$1K meals in my life (not exaggerating) based on other ppl's recommendations.

Food taste is a personal decision & I will tell you that more often than not, my own personal research yields a much better taste @ a significantly lower price point than something a foodie or an ambiance queenie has suggested.

This is not a knock on the SR's or the MDA's. & I will take a table @ 1 of the SR to see for myself. But will reserve personal opinion until I have eaten the last morsel. Good eating every1.:)

:cool:RCCL website states that suggested dress code for specialty restaurants in smart casual - JACKETS FOR MEN:cool: Like I said earlier, wear you undies if you like, but if you want to keep this a little more upscale, then wear a jacket. If once you are in there, stick it on your chair if you deaire.:cool:

From RCI

Dress Suggestion

We suggest smart casual attire in Portofino – jackets for men, dresses or trouser suits for women. On formal evenings, formal attire is also appropriate in the restaurant. This includes suits and ties or tuxedos for men and cocktail dresses for women.

As the extract from RCI states, it is a 'Dress Suggestion' and therefore, is not mandatory. Even on formal nights it states 'formal attire is also appropriate', again it does not state it is mandatory.

I have never noticed anyone dining in either of these venues not dressed 'smartly' but obviously this is a very personal interpretation. I have never seen the maître d' turn diners away because the gentlemen are not wearing jackets. Just my observation.

Thats not true. The tip is included in the surcharge. Anyone that tips MORE does so for... well, not because they must, or because it is expected. The tip is included.

And while there is absolutely nothing wrong with the meals in the MDR, they cannot really be compared tot the specialty restaurants. If you don't see much difference, you must have been there on a REALLY off night.

In my undies? Now you have a good point! Me in that type of dress WOULD ruin everyone else's dinner!

I'm a budget cruiser, so I stick to the dining options included in the cruise fare UNLESS nothing on the MDR menu sounds good. I track down menus online before the cruise so that way I know which night to skip. Usually, there's only 1 night of a 7-night cruise where nothing looks appealing...and that's the night I book Chops. It is worth every penny. As others have said, the food quality is superior and DH & I appreciate the individualized attention. We don't have the money for that kind of dining in real life, so $50 is a bargain for what would be hundreds otherwise.

For us the specialty restaurants are worth the extra cost. It makes for a very special dining experience. As others have mentioned, the food is of better quality and the service is more personalized.

That being said, I think someone can have a fabulous cruise vacation without visiting the specialty restaurants. There is nothing wrong with the food/service in the MDR, the specialty restaurants just allow for a different experience.

As for the debates about dress code, I honestly couldn't tell you if others were wearing jackets when we went to Portofino and Chops on the Serenade. I was too busy enjoying my meal to notice whether others were wearing jackets. I do know that on smart casual night in the dining room there were very few men wearing them as our tablemates were trying to figure out what the difference was with smart casual.

We did Portofino's on our very first cruise this month, and I wouldn't do it again. By the end of the night I was convinced they put the junior servers in the specialty restaurants. The meal was very drawn out, she was very slow to refill glasses, she disapeared for a very long stretch between coffee & dessert, and made inappropriate comments regarding our consumption of food - when my fiance was done with the silverware placed appropriately, "Oh, you didn't clear your plate - you must not be done." When I paused during the main meal, "what's the matter with your dinner? you've barely touched it." My sweetie was like, this is like eating with my mother!

The best is that when she hadn't cleared away our appetizers and our sorbet course and she showed up with the entrees with no room to put them down. There was a long pause before I was forced to lift my app. plate to make room for the entree. Very, very annoying.

I spoke to the maitre 'd to tell her to cancel our desserts & let us depart, please. They insisted on sending dessert to our cabin. Nice gesture. The next night we happily retreated back to the MDR into the capable hands of our delightful waiter and the good company of our tablemates and assured them they had missed nothing. Not worth it.

Archived