Seattle

Fredbrot

I've go through a number of posts but still am not finding what I need. I am arriving Friday, 8-28-09 with wife and 21 and 16 year old daughters. Going on cruise (NCL Star) on Saturday. We will be staying at the Sheraton on 6th Ave. What is the best way to get from the airport to the Sheraton without breaking the bank? Is there public Transportation? Where is the best place for dinner? Should we walk down to Pike's Market or are there get family places to eat near the Sheraton? Our flight home does not leave until 6pm. I wanted them to see the Space Needle and ride it up to the top. Is that still possible? Is it open on Saturday's? How do we get there frroom Bell Street Pier? Are there lockers at the Bell Street Pier were we can store our luggage?

Thanks to all who respond.

Fredbrot

I'm an economical sort of person, so here goes:

There is a bus that goes from the Sheraton to the airport- the Greyline Airporter shuttle. You can either get tickets online or just go the the stand near luggage pickup area #1. We bought tickets for the bus right on the spot. The bus leaves every 30 mins and goes right to the Sheraton. I believe the cost is $11 pp.

Take a cab the next day to the port. The cab should be just under ten dollars. You can drop off the luggage around 10 AM and board around 11.

The Sheraton is easy walking to Pike's Place Market and there are lots of restaurants and shops. Go to the Specialty bakery which is right down the street on Fifth Ave just south of Pike for breakfast. My favorite!

NCL has the BAGS program which they will start letting you know about a few days before the end of your cruise. For about $25, you put your luggage out the night before and it goes right to the airport and you don't see it until you get to your home airport. I heard it works great. It doesn't work with all airlines so check with NCL.

Also, you can take the Shuttle Express vans back to the airport after your cruise. I believe we paid $13 per person.

I have done the Alaska Seattle trip twice now with using Greyline, taxis and then Shuttle Express and have been very pleased.

Connie

You can leave your luggage at Bell Street Pier and walk or take the bus to the market. Bus stop right outside.

btw, you can often find exactly the information you need if you use the 'search' option at the top right. We all seem to need pretty much the same facts.

With 4 people, the cost of the Airporter bus is going to be close to the cost of a taxi (4 x $11=$44, whereas a taxi will be about $45, before tip).

From downtown to the airport, there's a flat fare of $32 for a taxi.

It is Pike Place Market--not Pike's...

Pike is the name of a street that terminates at the market.

we have a neat name system in seattle--the street names in downtown come in pairs: Pike and Pine, Union and University, and so on. these streets run from east to west. the numbered streets--such as 1st Ave--run north and south and then it all changes at yesler down by where the logging mill was...

And it's kind of like calling San Francisco "Frisco"--saying it wrong can set the locals' teeth on edge.

we have a neat name system in seattle--the street names in downtown come in pairs: Pike and Pine, Union and University, and so on. these streets run from east to west.

Also, starting from south and going north, you can remember the order of these pairs of streets with this mnemonic: Jimmy Carter* Made Seattle Under Protest.

*edited from the original as I learned it to protect any delicate religious sensibilities

we have a neat name system in seattle--the street names in downtown come in pairs: Pike and Pine, Union and University, and so on. these streets run from east to west. the numbered streets--such as 1st Ave--run north and south and then it all changes at yesler down by where the logging mill was...

Those names that come in pairs have a acronymic sentence that describes them perfectly and reminds you what order they come in. If you know it you can find anything in the downtown core.

(Not to worry to to much about offending religious folks as Jesus did make Seattle and I think Jimmy Carter is much too young to have done it here is the accurate acronym with explanation:)So just remember the acronym, "Jesus Christ Made Seattle Under Pressure." Starting from the south you have the J's (Jefferson and James), the C's (Cherry and Columbia), the M's (Marion and Madison) the S's ( Spring and Seneca), the U's (University and Union), and the P's (Pike and Pine). If you remember these and the way they run South to North and that the cross streets are numbered you really can't get lost downtown. If someone tells you that Benaroya Hall is at the corner of 2nd and Union and you are at Pike and 7th you know you have to walk five blocks west and only three or four blocks south. It really helps you keep track of where you are in downtown Seattle. Unfortunately, north of Pine it doesn't work anymore.

By the way, it is an easy walk to the Pike Market and back down Pike Street. Going to the Pike Market down Pine (one block away) require a two block walk up a severe incline if you return that route.

We were very happy with the location and quality of the Sheraton Seattle. Pike Street right outside the side door.

Similar question to the original post- arriving at 9:40pm at the Seatlle /Tocoma airport. The grayline $11 shuttle no longer runs past 9pm..any other economical suggestions to get to the Westin downtown.

The Sea-Tac portion of Light Rail is supposed to open Dec/2009. That would be an option and cheaper than a taxi. But you will need to drag your bags with you.

Until December there is a shuttle bus from the airport to the Tukwila light rail station. The other end of the light rail is about two blocks from the Westin, and that part of downtown isn't scary, even that late in the evening. So if you're reasonably able and don't have a ton of luggage (and especially if your bags have wheels!), it's quite do-able. I'm seeing a lot of people on the light rail with luggage, traveling to and from the airport.

I might just add to Connie G's post is that the airporter bus is $18.00 round trip. We are planning to do this in September, along with the bags program, as our flight does not leave until 7 p.m. after the cruise. We are just planning to ckeck the schedule, and catch it at the hotel closest to where we end up after a last bit of sightseeing.

The most economical way would be the public metro bus. route 174 or 194 express takes you straight into the downtown bus tunnel. A few bucks a person, but you have lug your baggage.

Routes 174 and 194 do not appreciate luggage on the bus during peak hours, which all cruise weekends are. If you want to do it on the cheap, you can take your chances with being allowed onto the shuttles to the light rail and then go into downtown.

I recommend against it at this time. After 1 January, the light rail will stop at the airport and then will be a more viable option for you.

The most economical way would be the public metro bus. route 174 or 194 express takes you straight into the downtown bus tunnel. A few bucks a person, but you have lug your baggage.

I thought the buses weren't running now that the light rail was up?:confused:

Those names that come in pairs have a acronymic sentence that describes them perfectly and reminds you what order they come in. If you know it you can find anything in the downtown core.

(Not to worry to to much about offending religious folks as Jesus did make Seattle and I think Jimmy Carter is much too young to have done it here is the accurate acronym with explanation:)So just remember the acronym, "Jesus Christ Made Seattle Under Pressure." Starting from the south you have the J's (Jefferson and James), the C's (Cherry and Columbia), the M's (Marion and Madison) the S's ( Spring and Seneca), the U's (University and Union), and the P's (Pike and Pine). If you remember these and the way they run South to North and that the cross streets are numbered you really can't get lost downtown. If someone tells you that Benaroya Hall is at the corner of 2nd and Union and you are at Pike and 7th you know you have to walk five blocks west and only three or four blocks south. It really helps you keep track of where you are in downtown Seattle. Unfortunately, north of Pine it doesn't work anymore.

I would imagine that non-Christians who live in Seattle would disagree with you.

We are staying at the Sheraton on 6th post cruise. Do you think hoofing it from pier 66 is doable with two 25 in wheeled bags or do you think we should get a cab? Will they let us check in or hold our bags so that we can do some sightseeing that morning and afternoon?

thanks for your help

The waterfront is at a lower elevation than the rest of downtown so getting "up" to the main part of downtown involves climbing stairs or taking an elevator and walking a couple blocks uphill. So no, I wouldn't attempt to walk even with roller bags.

And yes, I'm sure the Sheraton will let you leave your luggage if your room isn't ready.

Routes 174 and 194 do not appreciate luggage on the bus during peak hours, which all cruise weekends are. If you want to do it on the cheap, you can take your chances with being allowed onto the shuttles to the light rail and then go into downtown.

I recommend against it at this time. After 1 January, the light rail will stop at the airport and then will be a more viable option for you.

Has anyone actually been turned away from the shuttles from the airport to the light rail for having luggage? I thought that was the whole point of them--making it so people coming to and from the airport can use light rail until the airport station is finished. I've been on the light rail going north a few times (I live near the Tukwila station) and I've seen quite a few people with modest amounts of luggage, and it seems to work okay for everybody.

Archived