Opinions PLEASE: Jewel of the Seas

I could really use some help here. We are on the 11 night ultimate on the Jewel of the Seas in March.

We are in cabin 1104 right now and we love the back of the ship. We feel that the cruise pirce for cabin 1104 is a great price. BUT

On longer cruises what are your opinions on if it is worth paying for a Junior Suite or even going for the Grand Suite on the Jewel.....

If you think it is a waste of money I want to hear that as well.

Thanks for the help in advance.....

I sailed the 11 day in a D1 and it was more then fine. The huge balcony was so wonderful. We spent many an afternoon enjoying it. I had 9260.

Only your wallet/bank account should determine if you want to spend the extra.

A JS is the perfect size for a longer cruise, without paying the high price for a GS---if there are only 2 of you, the JS will be more than ample. Aside from the extra room you get in a Gs, the only thing you're paying for is the use of the concierge---personally, the limited time for drinks and the fact that you have to drink them there, wouldn't make the price difference worth it, to me!

A JS is the perfect size for a longer cruise, without paying the high price for a GS---if there are only 2 of you, the JS will be more than ample. Aside from the extra room you get in a Gs, the only thing you're paying for is the use of the concierge---personally, the limited time for drinks and the fact that you have to drink them there, wouldn't make the price difference worth it, to me!

I was in a GS on the jewel around Scandinavia last summer for 12 nights with my family and some friends - we had a JS, a GS, an OS and the Royal Suite so I got to see a good spread of cabins! The GS is nice but not really anything special, I don't really think there was a dramatic difference from the Junior so unless you really need the space I would probably save the money to spend on something else.

We sailed in 1104 for a 10 days ( Panama Canal, January - 09) and loved it. The cabin is a size we are comfortable with but that balcony is TERRIFIC. There were two chairs, two loungers, a small table and still lots of room. We tend to spend more time on the balcony than the cabin so an aft is great for us.

Enjoy

We had GS1600 (the aft GS) on Jewel's sister Serenade; it was an oddly-shaped cabin and according to one of my roommates, had less storage space than other GSs. Which was a bit of an issue with 3 women sharing a room!

I swear, the bathroom in that GS was bigger than some of the cabins I've seen! It has a full-sized bathtub -- which proved to be a bit of a challenge for my roomies as they're both a bit vertically challenged.... a huge step to get in and out...

I loved being at the back of the ship, and all the balconies back there are bigger than elsewhere. If you can get JS1100 for not much more than what you're paying for 1104, I'd go for it (I've heard the walk-in closet is awesome, and the balcony is huge; we had 1100 before we switched over to 1600), but other than that I'd stay with 1104.

I've asked myself the same question. I have 9256 booked for my 12 day Brilliance cruise in October of 2010. I love bathtubs and keep thinking to myself how nice it would be to be able to soak my weary feet after all of my wonderful shore excursions. Both 1100 and 1602 are still available. However, on this cruise, it would cost an extra $3000 to upgrade and even the queen of justification (me) can't make that leap yet. I've tried telling myself that no doubt there will be a Senior special and I won't end up paying that much, but so far I'm planning the walk to the hot tubs in the solarium.

I've asked myself the same question. I have 9256 booked for my 12 day Brilliance cruise in October of 2010. I love bathtubs and keep thinking to myself how nice it would be to be able to soak my weary feet after all of my wonderful shore excursions. Both 1100 and 1602 are still available. However, on this cruise, it would cost an extra $3000 to upgrade and even the queen of justification (me) can't make that leap yet. I've tried telling myself that no doubt there will be a Senior special and I won't end up paying that much, but so far I'm planning the walk to the hot tubs in the solarium.

We have had D1 Aft 9256 on the Panama cruise on the Brilliance and loved it! Also had it on an 8 night on the Jewel. Photos in the link below.

We are going on a 12 Med. cruise on the Brilliance in August and have 9256 booked; yes, we considered JS 1100 but the price spread was too great and has remained at least 3K more even with price drops.

We did get some nice price drops on our D1 (senior rates) from our original booking two years ago.

Vicki, I know exactly how you feel and a couple of times I put JS 1100 on courtesy hold to think about it but, like you, I couldn't justify the 3K difference.

Kathy:)

We were in a D1 aft for 12 days on the Jewel and the same on the Brilliance. We prefer junior suites but were comfortable enough during both 12 day cruises. My wife's first remark upon entering the D1 was "Wow, this is small".....however she squeezed in a party for 14 people one afternoon.

My wife prefers the aft JS...had a js aft on the Splendour out of Venice last summer and have had some on the port/starboard sides...if you don't mind the extra $, go for the JS if one is available on the aft.

We were on the Jewel for the 10 days in Oct 2008 and had an INSIDE cabin and found it just fine. We are about to deposit on the 13 day Oct 2010 and are still taking an inside.

Partly because my hubby gets seasick and down low, mid ship is best for that. Partly because I'm economical. I'd rather have the extra money to spend on shore, to put towards another cruise, etc.

There are so many places on ship to enjoy. We personally never felt claustrophobic with the inside. And it was great when you wanted to sleep in.

C :)

I'm always amazed that cruise ships are designed with the most expensive suites underneath a non-cabin deck. I splurged for a suite on Splendor of the Seas and listened to people walking, dancing and partying on the pool deck directly above the room! On the Jewel, I see that half of the suites are under the Windjammer Cafe which is a notoriously noisy location. As always when choosing a cabin, check out what it is under and over, as well as what type it is. I'm on the Jewel in Jan 2010 and picked a balcony cabin on deck 8, sandwiched between two cabin decks!

We were in JS100 on the Jewel for 12 nights last year and had no problems with noise from the Windjammer. My wife declared it the perferct cabin, but, like others, I couldn't justify $3K difference.

We were in 9258 on the Radiance and would go with 9256 anytime.

thank you all. yeah i would say at least what i have read that 95% of people say know bad noise at all from the WJ above deck 10 aft cabins.

it will be up to my wife but i think we should just stay put in 1104.

We had a midship JS on our Serenade cruise through the Panama Canal last year and 9256 on our TA this past May on the Jewel. As much as we loved the JS, our preference was 9256 because of the huge balcony.

Also, there were times early in the morning when we were in the JS that it sounded like we were under a bowling alley. Guess they were moving chairs around in the Windjammer.

Tim

thank you all. yeah i would say at least what i have read that 95% of people say know bad noise at all from the WJ above deck 10 aft cabins.

it will be up to my wife but i think we should just stay put in 1104.

We did hear some noises from the Windjammer... mostly chairs scraping around in the morning. If folks were seated at the tables nearest the railing, and we were on our balcony, we could hear them talking. And on glacier day (when we spent the most time out there), we did get some paper debris (empty sugar packets) from careless diners.

We thought about asking someone up there to toss down some ranger cookies for us... :D

We didn't hear anything in 1700 on the Indy. I'll have 1100 on the Jewel this September (the price difference met my justification standards :) and besides, it's DH's big 6-0) so I'll experience that first hand. My worst experiences have been in rooms under the pool. The pool party on the Grandeur went on until almost 1:00 a.m. and then they pushed the furniture back in place until almost three. (they'd set up for a buffet just over our heads.) Ugh. Never again on that one....

We sailed on Jewel OS in Dec 07 and had JS 1570 deck 10. We've been in 3 JS since and have really enjoyed the extra size over a D1. Last year I was stuck in a wheelchair on the Mariner because of an accident 3 weeks before the cruise , and was REAL glad we had the extra space of the JS, not to mention a bathtub instead of a shower. Having said that, our friends were in cabin 9660 on Jewel and really enjoyed the extra large balcony. They did say they got bored being only able to see where we had been and not where we were going. :p

check out Deck 9, the area around the library, next to a set of elevators. there are some balcony rooms that have monstrous balconies. BF and I had one of these last december and it was perfect.

• 2 years later...
I could really use some help here. We are on the 11 night ultimate on the Jewel of the Seas in March.

We are in cabin 1104 right now and we love the back of the ship. We feel that the cruise pirce for cabin 1104 is a great price. BUT

On longer cruises what are your opinions on if it is worth paying for a Junior Suite or even going for the Grand Suite on the Jewel.....

If you think it is a waste of money I want to hear that as well.

Thanks for the help in advance.....

I was just wondering if the room 1104 on the Eclipse would be the same as on Jewel of the Seas. Would it have the larger balcony?

If you spend a lot of time in your cabin, you may want to upgrade. We've done up to 14 days on the Jewel in a D1 and D2 with no problems. However, we don't spend a lot of time in the cabin. I don't like to pay for extra room if we aren't going to use it.

Agree about 9256 and would take it anytime it's available. We've been partial to JS's in the past and are aft cabin junkies and even though 9256 isn't a JS it suits us in every way. Corner aft with a huge balcony, not directly under the windjammer, and the cabin fits our needs well plus it's cheaper than a JS. We booked this cabin twice last year on Radiance and also have it booked this coming year on Jewel.

Archived