Key West

The real fun in Key West is in the evening, when you go down to the docks to watch the sunset, have a drink, and be entertained by the strange and wonderful street performers. It's a party every evening, but I suspect most of the cruise ships are gone by then.

Interesting place, especially for those of us who remember the 60's and the flower children. Some of them are still playing their guitars and singing in Key West.

Some good restaurants, lively bars, an interesting maritime museum, and some fun folks here. A cruiseline could do worse.

We spent a few days in Key West over the holidays a couple of years back. Sure, there's a party atmosphere but not everywhere you go. There are parts that are quote beautiful and have that old world feeling. We just loved it and would go back in a heartbeat. Someone mentioned the Sunset Clelebration at Mallory Square - hands down on of the most interesting aspects of the area - we were so enthralled, we went back night after night.

I would recommend Ernest Hemingway's house tour - it was great. Also, there's a secret "locals" beach that, for speed, you can take a taxi to that is quite lovely called Fort Taylor Beach. It's definitely walkable back to the ship, but I wouldn't plan on getting a taxi from there - it's off the beaten track, but has chair rentals and a snack bar. http://beaches.uptake.com/blog/fort-zachary-taylor-beach-key-west-florida.html

The Conch Train tour is great, too. No need to pay for a shore excursion in Key West - the Conch Train takes you to all the "must see" spots and stops right outside the port - but it doesn't stop at the locals beach. Enjoy!

:eek: I can't believe you're telling me to eat instead of exercise. I gotta google and see what I can work out with an indy tour operator :eek: I will take your advice, though and forego the kayak if we must choose one!

There is a very simple solution...

Take your chocolate covered key lime pie WITH you while kayaking! Paddle, lick, paddle, lick, paddle...

There is a very simple solution...

Take your chocolate covered key lime pie WITH you while kayaking! Paddle, lick, paddle, lick, paddle...

I am eternally in your debt :D :D :D I'll look for an independent tour where we can request a stop at the chocolate covered key lime pie shop on our way to the kayaks :D

• 5 years later...
Has anyone noticed that Key West is rarely on a HAL cruise anymore?? (Just like Nassau)

Do you miss going there?

Krazy Kruizers,

We are on the Nieuw Amsterdam B2B Western/Eastern Caribbean Cruise

On 3/15/2015. We have 2 stops in KeyWest coming and going. Love Key West!

Denise :)

3STAR MARINER becoming 4 STAR on our next cruise!

Krazy Kruizers,

We are on the Nieuw Amsterdam B2B Western/Eastern Caribbean Cruise

On 3/15/2015. We have 2 stops in KeyWest coming and going. Love Key West!

Denise :)

3STAR MARINER becoming 4 STAR on our next cruise!

Since I started this thread back in 2009 -- we have been in Key West about 3 times.

We were also on the Nieuw Amsterdam Nov 2013 and March/April 2014.

Key West is a neat port of call. The HOHO trolley is a great way to get around. And what about the chocolate covered frozen key lime pie on a stick?? Oh, man ... wish I had one of those now!

Another sailor after our own hearts!! We love visiting Key West by ship ... or by car!

Not long ago I heard that there was a lot of trouble in Nassau with pickpockets and muggers assaulting cruise passengers - even in plain sight in the main shopping areas. For example, one mugging was right in front of the Harley shop in view of the docks. The US government had issued a warning about Nassau at the time I heard the stories.:(

Interesting place, especially for those of us who remember the 60's and the flower children. Some of them are still playing their guitars and singing in Key West.

I used to be a musician in the late 60s early 70s and we played in Key West, Daytona, and several other hot spots on the Gulf Coast. Ah, memories! Great places!

We're doing our first ever HAL cruise on the Eurodam on March 22,2015,and Key West is one of the stops.Been here in Florida for 34 years,and never been there!:confused::(

We live about 30-35 miles south of you & often sailed our boat down to Key West..

We love the town.. The most fun about Key West is sunset on the Harbor.. Unfortunately, many of the ships leave before sunset, & it isn't as much fun & interesting as it is at sundown, when all the characters come out & set up their acts.. The animal acts & the clowns are a hoot:D:D! If you are only there for a few hours the hop on-hop off trolly is a great way to see the town..

After you get a taste of the Keys, you might want to take a drive down there for a few days...We've done that with our family from up north..

Love Key west although not as good as it was 20 years ago (is anything):) spent a few weekends there and have been on a couple of cruise stops. A drink in the Hogs Breath is good especially if country and western bands are on.

The last time we were in port in December on the Ryandam we had really bad weather in December.

Key West is Great !

Two interesting stories.

1. Back in the '80's I was in Federal Court in Key West for three weeks and everyday walked to the courthouse in our business suits. Everyday someone would come up to us and say, "y'all not from around here, are you" :D

2. Economy is good. Ten years ago there was a man on the sidewalk who would tell dirty jokes for $.50. In March 2014 he was charging $2.