Please give me your opinion on flight times from Port Canaveral

Hi everyone! I'm getting airfare for my January FOS cruise out of Port Canaveral. I'm going through Orlando Airport. Do you think a 10:45 flight back would be cutting it close? They also have a 2:48 flight back.... I'd hate to sit around all day waiting for my flight... We are carrying our own bags and aren't checking anything, so at least there's that.

Thanks! I'm trying to book it now but figured I should check before I do!

Melody

Ugh - yeah, unfortunatley! I was hoping for 12 because that would be perfect, you know? But I've only left from Port Everglades or Miami, so I wasn't sure about how long it takes to get to the airport from there. I had read it was around 40 minutes so that's what made me nervous...

Thank you for your opinion! :D

I agree, the airport is a good 45 minute drive from PC...one little traffic tie up and you stand a good chance of missing your flight...I'd book the later flight...since your cruise isn't till Jan. there's a good chance they may change your flight time anyhow...maybe it will be moved up a bit...

Everything would have to work perfectly for you to make a flight that early. MCO is a 45 minute drive from Port Canaveral. If the ship is delayed getting in at all, you won't make it. Another consideration is security at the airport. The lines to get through security at Orlando can be huge. I would book the later flight.

Having said that, I have had an 11:15am flight thanks to Delta cancelling our early afternoon flight and putting us on the 11:15. We got an early color to get off the ship, we did not do self disembark. We were the fourth color off and had arranged for a private towncar service to pick us up. We asked for an 8am pick up and asked that the driver call our cell phone when he got to the port. He called just after 7:30, while we were getting our luggage. We were able to get on the road before 8 and were at the airport just after 8:30. We had first class tickets so we breezed by anyone who was waiting to check bags. Security lines were huge but they moved pretty quickly. You have to take a tram to the gates so that adds time too but we still made our flight with lots of time to spare.

I would book the later flight just for the peace of mind. If you do take the early flight, make sure you have a backup plan. We knew none of us had to work the next day so if we missed our flight, we could deal with it.

Thanks so much everyone! I took all of the advice and booked the later flight home. I will surely use that time to be more leisurely getting off of the ship. As well, I'm renting a car so maybe it will be a nice beach day!:D I'm just glad I got a great deal on air - I'm sure it will only go up from here....

I just posted this on another thread asking the same question:

We always book our flights out after 2:00 pm. (say around 2:30 or 3:00). That gives us plenty of time (we like to be the last ones off the ship rather than rushing, stressing, standing in long lines, etc.) to relax, disembark, get luggage, go through customs, etc.(If you're last off, it will be around 10:30) Then you have to catch the shuttle back to Budget,(20 minutes), stand in line to get your car (30-60 minutes), and drive to airport (45 minutes), return car (10 minutes), and get to gate (30 minutes) . By now it could be as LATE as 1:00 pm.

This is assuming the longest amount of time. Reality is much shorter than that. We usually get to the airport by 11:30 or 12:00, and have plenty of time for a relaxing lunch before boarding.

Hope This Helps.

I just posted this on another thread asking the same question:

We always book our flights out after 2:00 pm. (say around 2:30 or 3:00). That gives us plenty of time (we like to be the last ones off the ship rather than rushing, stressing, standing in long lines, etc.) to relax, disembark, get luggage, go through customs, etc.(If you're last off, it will be around 10:30) Then you have to catch the shuttle back to Budget,(20 minutes), stand in line to get your car (30-60 minutes), and drive to airport (45 minutes), return car (10 minutes), and get to gate (30 minutes) . By now it could be as LATE as 1:00 pm.

This is assuming the longest amount of time. Reality is much shorter than that. We usually get to the airport by 11:30 or 12:00, and have plenty of time for a relaxing lunch before boarding.

Hope This Helps.

How funny! I'll be using Budget, too ( I LOVE Fastbreak) so you accurately described my whole scenario!:p

Thanks so much everyone! I took all of the advice and booked the later flight home. I will surely use that time to be more leisurely getting off of the ship. As well, I'm renting a car so maybe it will be a nice beach day!:D I'm just glad I got a great deal on air - I'm sure it will only go up from here....

I probably would have booked the earlier flight. But, I know that it would have been pushing it.:D Since you chose the later flight, you could always get off the ship earlier and stop by Downtown Disney and have lunch (Disney also has a lot of nice restaurants at their various resorts). Just a thought since you will have a little time to spare.

Just out of curiousity:

Why are you all using limo services and rental car instead of the tranfer option RC offers?

I'm asking, because we booked it... and I'm wondering if its not a good idea, because no one here seems to use it. Is it too slow? Or any other reason?

Just out of curiousity:

Why are you all using limo services and rental car instead of the tranfer option RC offers?

I'm asking, because we booked it... and I'm wondering if its not a good idea, because no one here seems to use it. Is it too slow? Or any other reason?

First, I'm flying in early and don't want to do the airport trip twice. As well, the rental car was cheaper for me. Also, I really hate waiting for shuttles to fill up - I had a bad experience waiting for an hour once in Miami!:eek: If the price was good I might though. I'm still toying with getting a transfer for the way back to the airport.... I did the RC transfer the first cruise I did and it was reassuring to have the RCCL people meet you at the airport and load you up!:)

Just out of curiousity:

It is usually cheaper to arrange your own shuttle to Port Canaveral or to rent a car. We have done a one way rental to the port for around $50 since we always fly in the night before and want to be able to run errands, go to dinner etc. We return the car the morning of the cruise and take the rental car shuttle to the port. We rent a car to get back to the airport if we have a later flight but use a limo service if we have an early flight. I don't want to have to sit and wait for a shuttle to fill up if I have an early flight. Limos or towncars are more expensive but are worth the peace of mind.

Just out of curiousity:

We always fly in the day before the cruise, so renting is not only cheaper, it is more flexable. We have the car to use that evening and the next morning before embarking.

WE ALWAY USE ART TRANSPORATION. THERE ARE THERE WHEN YOU LAND. also they will stop you to store in case you want soda and water:)

Are they even still in business? They had all sorts of legal issues, were sold, original owners bought them back, were closed down and reopened under different owners. I would check if they even exist anymore and who is actually running that business.

Just out of curiousity:

A couple reasons why people stay away from the RC transfers:

1. Arranging your own transportation is almost always cheaper...

2. The RC transfers won't leave until the bus is full... which means you could be waiting a while on a bus...

Arranging your own transportation gives you more control over port arrival and departure... This is particularly important if you have also arranged your own flights (which is also cheaper than RC, usually)...

We usually get to the airport by 11:30 or 12:00, and have plenty of time for a relaxing lunch before boarding.

And this is also when reality sets in....you have to pay for that lunch!:eek:

We usually get to the airport by 11:30 or 12:00, and have plenty of time for a relaxing lunch before boarding.

And this is also when reality sets in....you have to pay for that lunch!:eek:

LOL!!

"Hey, Hey, Hey;

What are these...... number thingies on the side of my menue????? :confused: :p"

Archived