Does "Marina" Change Oceania?

fPetrarca

Most present Oceania cruisers chose the line in large part because of its ships size, which provided a great combination of intimacy with a relatively large range of dining and entertainment options. In addition, the "R" ships size allow them to visit ports not normally visited by other lines with larger ships. The new "Marina" promises to be a beautiful ship with many enticing features but it will nevertheless be nearly twice the size of the existing ships. Actually closer in size to Celebrity's "Century" class ships with much of the glitz of Celebrity's "Solstice." But will many of Oceania's current passengers sail "Marina" on a regular basis (I'm sure many will want to try her once)? Where will the new additional passengers come from? Will they be former Celebrity devotees or small ship fans who have tired of small ships? I guess I'm having a hard time figuring out how this ship fits into Oceania's business niche.

You have asked very good questions. The Marina may look like the Century with all minsuites and above (other than the few non-balconied cabins), with better food and beds, and charge more.

IMO this is not so much a question of the size of the ship as much as one of the determination of management and crew to maintain the same sort of experience as they provide on the smaller ships. Will the service be as friendly? Will the open seating work as well? Also they way they design the public spaces will be important so that there are plenty of places to get away from the 1259 other passengers if one wants.

There was a lot of concern among loyal Seabourn passengers that the new Odyssey, at three times the size and 2 1/2 times the passenger capacity, would be different from the triplets. Having sailed on the maiden voyage I can say that yes, it is different because of its size but it is the same Seabourn experience because both management and crew have gone out of their way to ensure that. Lets hope Oceania does the same.

I've been suspecting that it may be a long-term safety issue that will eventually find smaller ships fazed out. I hope that I'm wrong about this, but it seems that, with the advent of ever wilder weather, all other things being equal, a larger ship may be able to withstand a larger wave - up to a point at least.

Are there any marine physicists out there who've reviewed the recent data?

I think that there is intelligent design behind the crafting of a company like Oceania. I can't see them messing with the successful formula in any way unless there was good reason for it. And frankly, intelligence at sea puts safety first and money a close second, at least IMHO.

Given what Oceania offers, I think that they will be more than able to fill all their ships. (People may try the other lines but, like me, they'll come back.)

Maybe they'll sell one or two of the smaller R ships after Marina's up and going, always keeping one for "nostalgia" cruises?

I certainly hope they do not sell any of the smaller ships as this is one of the many reasons we keep coming back to Oceania.

The only drawback I can see to the new ship is it's size. Over 1200 people will be a different experience and for some of us not a better one.!

1. Do I detect a "Global Warming" theme? Having done a TA on the Seabourn Pride,which was some what rough, I firmly believe that O will keep all three of the sisters.Great ships that will handle the elements.

2. My only question is where is O going to get the staff for the Marina? If they decimate the existing ships, then what will they use to staff the sisters? After having talked to a head waiter in 02/2009 and gotten his take on what O will do, I can only cringe! And please don't ask me to elaborate. Go on board and find out for yourself.

2. My only question is where is O going to get the staff for the Marina? If they decimate the existing ships, then what will they use to staff the sisters?.

My guess is they will hire new staff, then take some of the staff from the existing ships.

Just as they did when they launched the Nautica

My only question is where is O going to get the passengers to fill the three existing ships plus the new 2X size ship? They're either going to have to poach them from other lines or create a lot of new O cruisers. Or get current O pax to cruise a lot more.

My only question is where is O going to get the passengers to fill the three existing ships plus the new 2X size ship? They're either going to have to poach them from other lines or create a lot of new O cruisers. Or get current O pax to cruise a lot more.

Well, it is funny you say that. I remember people saying the same thing before Seabourn launched Odyssey. The reality is people have different tastes and desires. I, for one, loved my cruise on Oceania, but I really would have liked a bigger cabin and a bigger bathroom. I liked the fact there weren't a lot of passengers compared to larger lines, but the new ship is at least twice as big as the current R ships, so the number of passengers being twice the number may result in one feeling as if little has changed in terms of space ratios. And there are a lot of folks out there sailing Celebrity who would like a more deluxe experience but don't want to sail on the 30,000 gross ton or less ships. I suspect Oceania will be just fine. These cruise lines are businesses. They don't typically do things willy nilly without a lot of research.

These cruise lines are businesses. They don't typically do things willy nilly without a lot of research.
That is true, but well researched business deals do often fail. In fact, over expansionism (of ANY business) is often the fatal mistake of businesses folding. Only time will tell ! Hope for the best.

I certainly hope they do not sell any of the smaller ships

We must remember that ships have a maximum life span of about 40 years. 25 or 30 years is much more common. The O ships are just nearing 15 years old, but for several of those years they sat idle (which is like death for a ship).

They can still be maintained, but that maintenance will become increasingly expensive as the years pass. Look at it from your own perspective....how many of us drive a car that is more than 15 years old?

Have you ever gotten rid of a perfectly good car, just because you wanted something more reliable?

Look for Oceania to phase the present trio out within the next ten years.

I don't like this any more than you do, but I know ship maintenance. :(

On a brighter note, if past experience is any indication, the bells and whistles of the Marina will trigger an exodus of the Oceania faithfull away from the existing fleet, so we'll all have a new favorite ship on which to cry into our cocktails about those beautiful "old" ships which left us too soon! ;)

An inimate ambience is charming , but put my bet on ten restaurants, a Canyon Ranch Spa and bigger bathrooms.

They can still be maintained, but that maintenance will become increasingly expensive as the years pass. Look at it from your own perspective....how many of us drive a car that is more than 15 years old?

Have you ever gotten rid of a perfectly good car, just because you wanted something more reliable?

Well DW has a beautifully restored 1966 Mustang Convertible that she bought new in 03/1966. Took me 18 months, but it was worth it. And it's metal...not the plastic one gets these days.:D

I've been suspecting that it may be a long-term safety issue that will eventually find smaller ships fazed out. I hope that I'm wrong about this, but it seems that, with the advent of ever wilder weather, all other things being equal, a larger ship may be able to withstand a larger wave - up to a point at least.

Are there any marine physicists out there who've reviewed the recent data?

Have there been problems with safety on smaller ships?

I can't wait for the new ship. I have only been on Princess so far but find them all a bit too big. We've looked at some of the really small luxury cruises but I think sailing with 350 strangers is going a bit in the opposite direction for me. 1200 people and a small to midsized ship sounds PERFECT.

I hope they go to Alaska someday...

Katherine

Archived