How Strict With Ages ForThe Kids Clubs

mit01

I have always heard the ships use the age you are the day you get on the ship. It does not change if they have a b-day during the cruise. The older teen groups do a lot of things outside of the club location.

Technically, they don't want 18 years olds with minors. I thought it was a ridiculous move on their part to boot him out, but I understand it. However, it didn't stop my son from hanging out with his new friends outside of the teen center. It's a good thing he had the opportunity to meet these kids the first part of the week. Our upcoming cruise in two weeks will be entirely different as meeting kids will be more of a challenge.

I am definitely not an expert here; however, I speak from personal experience that they DO make exceptions. We cruised on Princess last month and they allowed my daughter in an older group. I was pleasantly surprised because I had heard over and over on this forum that it was impossible. Speak with the director at a time when it isn't hectic and busy. Let him/her know that you would like to try it out and if they have any concerns what so ever then you will pull them out. Princess has an icredible kids program.

I am definitely not an expert here; however, I speak from personal experience that they DO make exceptions. We cruised on Princess last month and they allowed my daughter in an older group. I was pleasantly surprised because I had heard over and over on this forum that it was impossible. Speak with the director at a time when it isn't hectic and busy. Let him/her know that you would like to try it out and if they have any concerns what so ever then you will pull them out. Princess has an icredible kids program.

When you put people first, there are always exceptions. I am not surprise which is why I am an advocate of asking and take things here with a grain of salt. Many rightly do what is expected, so have very little chance or reason to see what can and do happen when you ask. Many parents would be a nervous wreck if their kids could not be together on these kind of vacation.

I do have a question, and I am an older sibling. Why do parents want their kids together? Last thing I would want back in the stone age was my sister tagging along on such a vacation. Did enough of that at home. Might not be so much the kids but the parents. Let them do things in a group of their peers.

I do have a question, and I am an older sibling. Why do parents want their kids together? Last thing I would want back in the stone age was my sister tagging along on such a vacation. Did enough of that at home. Might not be so much the kids but the parents. Let them do things in a group of their peers.

Peace of mind, I guess. Really, if I am paying for it I deserve peace of mind.

It's really not their vacation because they don't work and don't need the rest. The vacation is mine which I choose to share with them. Until they start to pay, they have no ownership in it, and it's about my peace of mind. I am jealous if you were having this kind of vacation as a kid:D Heck, I wish I had a mama like me as a kid :-) I have decided to give my kids the childhood I never had. Most days it feels pretty good until the whine starts.

Peace of mind, I guess. Really, if I am paying for it I deserve peace of mind.

It's really not their vacation because they don't work and don't need the rest. The vacation is mine which I choose to share with them. Until they start to pay, they have no ownership in it, and it's about my peace of mind. I am jealous if you were having this kind of vacation as a kid:D Heck, I wish I had a mama like me as a kid :-) I have decided to give my kids the childhood I never had. Most days it feels pretty good until the whine starts.

Nope, never had this kind of vacation as a kid. We visited senior relatives in Arizona. We were happy if the hotel had a pool. I do know my sister minding was tying her to a tree. Mom could never figure out why she did not want to play with us older kids. I think my sister would have loved another group of kids.

I am a lot older, the only cruising we did together back then was watching the love boat. We have cruised together as adults and she does her thing and we do ours. Maybe she is afraid I will find a tree to tie her to and play cowboys and Indians. :D

We can argue to rules all we want and how "unfair" things can be, BUT they are the rules and it's a lesson for our kids to learn that they should be followed. Kids nowadays sound like little lawyers mimicking their parents trying to negotiate what they perceive is unfair. If parents think siblings should be in the same group for comfort, then either the parents or kids aren't ready for this separation.

I agree; my son has a friend with a younger brother (by 18 months). The mom insisted they do everything together even though they are completely different -- like chalk and cheese. Now they are older and mom can't make them do everything together anymore. Which is good, because they can't stand each other after years of "enforced closeness". :rolleyes: I bet they'd get along better if mom had been more laid back.

We can argue to rules all we want and how "unfair" things can be, BUT they are the rules and it's a lesson for our kids to learn that they should be followed. Kids nowadays sound like little lawyers mimicking their parents trying to negotiate what they perceive is unfair. If parents think siblings should be in the same group for comfort, then either the parents or kids aren't ready for this separation.

Please take a look at history and see how many rules were broken, exceptions made so many of us can enjoy the privileges we do today. I assume you are taking about 'cruise world' rules. Rules are important because they are guidance for the wise and sometime observance of fools. I would not wish to tell my daughter that Rosa Parks was wrong for taking that seat because it was against the rules. Breaking rules have propelled some to greatest while landing others into jail. Some of the great ones even ended up in jail, Nelson Mandela. Rules along with kind heart and good judgment were taught to me. As for the separation, in life or on vacation, some of us are forced to do what we are not ready for. Yes, when possible I want my kids looking out for each when in unfamailar surrounding. The way I looked out for my siblings and my neighborhood looked out for me. If I have to glue them together for this to happen, so be it!

There are a lot of stupid rules out there so here is for you. Medical plan won't pay for anything that is dental. Dental plan won't pay for anything that is cosmetic. So your molars get removed due to surgery but your dental won't pay for implants because those are cosmetic. You medical won't pay to replace the molars removed during surgery because that is a dental procedure. Thanks to the rule, which someone is following, the only way to get your molars back is to forgo your vacation and pay out of pocket, yet you are fortune to have 2 'great' insurance plans.

When you put people first, there are always exceptions. I am not surprise which is why I am an advocate of asking and take things here with a grain of salt. Many rightly do what is expected, so have very little chance or reason to see what can and do happen when you ask. Many parents would be a nervous wreck if their kids could not be together on these kind of vacation.

Well I can assure you that the responses you have seen here to the contrary are quite accurate and based on actual experience. And my response was based on having asked the kids club staff and speaking to the director about moving my daughter up on not one, but two different Princess cruises where my daughter was within a few weeks of being in the next age group. While one response in this thread may indicate otherwise, if you look at the majority of responses here from people who have been there, done that you will see that the fact is Princess is extremely strict on the age groups. If you do a search, you will find numerous threads on this topic and they all say the same thing. Kids are not allowed to move up. You can go ahead and take it with a grain of salt, but just because you doubt the veracity of the information does not mean it isn't accurate. It is based on real life experience from those who have tried and been told emphatically, "No". If you somehow figure out a way around it, more power to you, but the answers you are receiving are based on fact, not speculation.

Well I can assure you that the responses you have seen here to the contrary are quite accurate and based on actual experience. And my response was based on having asked the kids club staff and speaking to the director about moving my daughter up on not one, but two different Princess cruises where my daughter was within a few weeks of being in the next age group. While one response in this thread may indicate otherwise, if you look at the majority of responses here from people who have been there, done that you will see that the fact is Princess is extremely strict on the age groups. If you do a search, you will find numerous threads on this topic and they all say the same thing. Kids are not allowed to move up. You can go ahead and take it with a grain of salt, but just because you doubt the veracity of the information does not mean it isn't accurate. It is based on real life experience from those who have tried and been told emphatically, "No". If you somehow figure out a way around it, more power to you, but the answers you are receiving are based on fact, not speculation.

Sincerely, no disrespect intended. I take everything I read on the internet with a grain of salt and I save a pinch to add to the food just in case. Even this thread stated a few exceptions, with kids moving down, after there were posts about no exceptions. Taking things with a grain of salt means I might not experience the same as another poster in any or all areas. I apologize if the post seems in anyway out of line...my bad!

Medical plan won't pay for anything that is dental. Dental plan won't pay for anything that is cosmetic. So your molars get removed due to surgery but your dental won't pay for implants because those are cosmetic. You medical won't pay to replace the molars removed during surgery because that is a dental procedure.

Seems to me that being able to eat with teeth is not cosmetic

Seems to me that being able to eat with teeth is not cosmetic

If your dental plan offers dentures that would be an option but implants are cosmetic so excluded. There is a big difference between dentures and having your molars back. Since most plans do not cover these procedure at 100 percent, there would still be a cost, not picked up by your insurance. Now in case of your b00bs, you would have brand new chandelier even in a haunted house at no additional cost. I guess there is nothing cosmetic about 40DDD. At my age I would rather have the implants in my mouth than on my chest......maybe, for sure:D.

There are rules that are meant to drive people nuts, others protect and keep us safe, and the ones that should have never been in the first place. Not everyone knows the difference.....JMOP

I think the consensus here is that the rules are likely to be enforced, so parents should prepare their kids to expect this. There is no harm in asking, but please, don't act entitled and demand that the rules be bent for you. I actually can understand this, it would make for chaos if multiple parents are pushing for their kids to be moved up or down. And, children at the older limts of each group would probably be upset to see even younger kids allowed in. After all, how many parents do we hear brag that their child is exceptional and too mature for their assigned age group??

[quote name='cynbar']I think the consensus here is that the rules are likely to be enforced, so parents should prepare their kids to expect this. [/quote]
This says it all.

Is the important thing here really whether or not they will make an exception to the rule? Is the important thing here the"comfort" to the parents? Could the real question here be: Since the activities are geared to the age group in question, will the activities of the older group be at a level the younger member can truly enjoy and/or fully participate in? While as a parent I know we would all love to say"my child...absolutely", however the physical and mental development between the ages of younger teens varies largely. I have to believe that fun to a 12 year old is certainly different than fun to a 15 year old. And fun for a 16 or 17 year old is really going to be different. I'm not sure that is "comforting".

Archived