English Remove Tips, "we don't tip"

I was having a great time on my Carnival Victory Cruise until the last night when I was sitting next to some English travelers. They were upset that there was a $10/day tip added to their bill and they went to have it removed. I tried to explain to them that they were cheating their work staff. No avail. The tips were removed because "English don't tip. We pay an fair salary to the employee w/o the tip". They were quite satisfied that they had removed this "unfair" charge to their bill.

Europeans: I know you have a very different view of tipping than we do in America. That's why many European cruise companies charge a higher price, the "tip" is built into the price. BUT, when you're on an American cruise, please folow the customs of America and leave the tip on your statement for your wait staff and room steward. That tip IS a big part of their salary. Don't cheat your workers out of their pay because of your customs back home.

Sorry, but this really upset me.

I was having a great time on my Carnival Victory Cruise until the last night when I was sitting next to some English travelers. They were upset that there was a $10/day tip added to their bill and they went to have it removed. I tried to explain to them that they were cheating their work staff. No avail. The tips were removed because "English don't tip. We pay an fair salary to the employee w/o the tip". They were quite satisfied that they had removed this "unfair" charge to their bill.

Europeans: I know you have a very different view of tipping than we do in America. That's why many European cruise companies charge a higher price, the "tip" is built into the price. BUT, when you're on an American cruise, please folow the customs of America and leave the tip on your statement for your wait staff and room steward. That tip IS a big part of their salary. Don't cheat your workers out of their pay because of your customs back home.

.....pip, pip, cheerio!

;)

wasiii

Maybe that's how Americans get such a bad reputation around the world, we're always telling other countries/peoples/cultures how they should live their lives. If the English or any other country do not wish to Tip, that is their business and as long as it doesn't strain meaningful International Relationships or violate established Basic Human Rights, why should anyone else care. JMHO

It's a shame, when cultural misunderstands end up in hard working staff getting stiffed. I can happily say all of my British friends are pretty well versed in American tipping customs.

Recently, John Heald has been adding the make up of the passengers sorted by nationality.

Have no fear... there are few Brits on these cruises. The VAST majority, of course, are Americans.

Oddly enough... John reported that a complaint that came from another ship recently:

So, even though I highlight the outrageous and sometimes comical comments we receive each and every cruise, I encourage anyone who sails with us and who sees something that we need to know about to let us know as soon as possible.

But not if you have a comment like this one which was sent to me by my friend and Cruise Director colleague Lenny Halliday who is currently serving on the Carnival Victory. He sent me this complaint from……and I am embarrassed to say….a British guest.

“Hello John

I thought you might like this comment for your blog

All the best

Lenny”

Guest: _________ Ref: 8409566942A

Cabin: ____ Booking#: _______ Added-Changed: 07/22/09 – 07/22/09

TOO MANY AMERICANS

Guest informed GSA that they were surprised that there were so many Americans on board the ship Mr.______ said that they were loud and obnoxious and that this is not what he thought the cruise would have been. Guest said that they usually cruise P&O cruises which are all English.

That’s brilliant. I can just picture this poor British chap in his pink shirt and blue blazer complaining that about “those vulgar Americans.” Still……at least this pompous arse has broken that stereotype that says British people never complain and that we are all a race of painfully polite, cricket obsessed over boilers of vegetables, who, when not queuing politely or reading Jane Austen, are taking tea and cucumber sandwiches with Mrs. Bucket with our little fingers raised in the air before popping home for a huge portion of spotted dick.

http://johnhealdsblog.com/2009/07/23/salt-and-pepper/

:D

Maybe that's how Americans get such a bad reputation around the world, we're always telling other countries/peoples/cultures how they should live their lives. If the English or any other country do not wish to Tip, that is their business and as long as it doesn't strain meaningful International Relationships or violate established Basic Human Rights, why should anyone else care. JMHO

I agree that as Americans we can tend to be a bit, if not QUITE a bit, ethnocentric. However, there's also that saying, "When in Rome..." which I think applies quite well to this situation. When you are a guest in someone else's "country" (in this case, the cruise ship) it is only polite to act in a way fitting to that culture.

So true. Workers should be respected, and no one should have to work for free (there's a term for that). When in Rome...

When I was in the military, we were also taught that not only are you a guest in the host country and expected to honor their customs and culture, you are also an ambassador of your own country. What ever you do will reflect what others think of people from your country.

We all know that there are bad apples in every basket.

When I was in the military, we were also taught that not only are you a guest in the host country and expected to honor their customs and culture, you are also an ambassador of your own country. What ever you do will reflect what others think of people from your country.

We all know that there are bad apples in every basket.

So tipping in the UK, Oz and any other country that doesn't regularly adhere to a Tipping Custom would be offended by Americans who try to Tip for their Services. I can live with that.

People know the expectation when they book the cruise.

If they did not want to tip....they should not have booked the cruise.

Believe me though...the English are not the only ones. There is a culture right here in America that does not tip. It is not that they don't "believe in it"...they simply want to spend the money on theimselves.

Just ask the wait staff of our local restaurants that literally plan their vacation when these folks are in town. Not only to they not tip....they are demanding, demeaning and want everything for free.

Thank goodness next year...(after 102 years) they are headed to St Louis.

(you might want to alert your restaurants and wait staff!!)

I agree that as Americans we can tend to be a bit, if not QUITE a bit, ethnocentric. However, there's also that saying, "When in Rome..." which I think applies quite well to this situation. When you are a guest in someone else's "country" (in this case, the cruise ship) it is only polite to act in a way fitting to that culture.

Their are many customs around the world that are vile and wrong (for the visitor, not the host) and not something someone would choose to participate in, so your "When in Rome..." comment doesn't really work if you don't accept or appreciate the custom the same way as "Romans" do. Tipping in some parts of the world is not customary, believe it or not some cultures look at it a an insult to offer a Tip.

Where does it say in the Cruise Documents/Contract that Tipping is "EXPECTED"?...or is that your rule?...and who appointed you to determine who should cruise and who shouldn't.

Where does it say in the Cruise Documents/Contract that Tipping is "EXPECTED"?...or is that your rule?...and who appointed you to determine who should cruise and who shouldn't.

I didn't read LHP's post as insinuating they WERE the tipping police??? While the term 'when in Rome' may be somewhat cliche, I think common sense would dictate that visiting another country with different customs does require a certain degree of flexibility regarding common practices.

Well said. Mind your own business, guys.

Believe me though...the English are not the only ones. There is a culture right here in America that does not tip. It is not that they don't "believe in it"...they simply want to spend the money on theimselves.

Just ask the wait staff of our local restaurants that literally plan their vacation when these folks are in town. Not only to they not tip....they are demanding, demeaning and want everything for free.

A tip is simply that, voluntary. If someone doesn't want to give it, they don't have to. It's something you give because you feel that the person deserves it. If you feel that the staff deserves compensation above their salary, give it to them. Some people (obviously the ones OP talked with) do not feel this way.

Poor St. Louis - I will have to go research what group this is out of curiosity!

Part of the reason I had to get out of the restaurant business years ago was groups like this. I got fed up working for free and being treated like dirt besides. After one particularly nasty weekend where I worked three 12 hours days and had less than $40 to show for it at the end of the weekend I'd had enough. I made it 7 years in that business and it aggravates me to no end the excuses people will come up with to not tip. One particular group I used to wait on would leave religious literature that explained that their "tip" was a spiritual one in lieu of money. I'm sure my landlord would have loved me handing them that for the rent.:rolleyes:

I am by no means advocating tipping for poor service, but there are plenty out there who are just cheap. They could get service fit for royalty and still not tip. They are also the ones who are usually the most demanding and demeaning. Of course I personally think it's ridiculous that we don't pay servers a living wage in this country (2.12 an hour is standard) but if we did everyone would flip because meal prices would double when eating out. And the people who try to make any excuse other than poor service for not tipping are just blowing smoke and trying to make themselves feel better about the fact that someone has been a servant to them for free.

Now that I think about it, these are the same people who will look for a trivial reason to complain about something so they have an excuse to stiff the waiter. I have even caught people pulling out strands of their own hair and placing it in the food before to try and get it free!!! :eek:

I didn't read LHP's post as insinuating they WERE the tipping police??? While the term 'when in Rome' may be somewhat cliche, I think common sense would dictate that visiting another country with different customs does require a certain degree of flexibility regarding common practices.

Jolyn, With all due respect, you read her post differently than I did, she used the word expectation, which of course there is not one in this context. Maybe it is HER expectation as determined by HER judgement of the situation. Flexibility is a good word and maybe we as Americans should try to be flexible when we try to understand the cultures and customs of the rest of the world and not be world snobs about some of these matters. Tipping really is no big deal in the grand scheme of things. I don't subscribe to some of the customs of other countries, but I am not going to condemn them for practicing them nor am I going to practice them.

Poor St. Louis - I will have to go research what group this is out of curiosity!

Part of the reason I had to get out of the restaurant business years ago was groups like this. I got fed up working for free and being treated like dirt besides. After one particularly nasty weekend where I worked three 12 hours days and had less than $40 to show for it at the end of the weekend I'd had enough. I made it 7 years in that business and it aggravates me to no end the excuses people will come up with to not tip. One particular group I used to wait on would leave religious literature that explained that their "tip" was a spiritual one in lieu of money. I'm sure my landlord would have loved me handing them that for the rent.:rolleyes:

I am by no means advocating tipping for poor service, but there are plenty out there who are just cheap. They could get service fit for royalty and still not tip. They are also the ones who are usually the most demanding and demeaning. Of course I personally think it's ridiculous that we don't pay servers a living wage in this country (2.12 an hour is standard) but if we did everyone would flip because meal prices would double when eating out. And the people who try to make any excuse other than poor service for not tipping are just blowing smoke and trying to make themselves feel better about the fact that someone has been a servant to them for free.

Now that I think about it, these are the same people who will look for a trivial reason to complain about something so they have an excuse to stiff the waiter. I have even caught people pulling out strands of their own hair and placing it in the food before to try and get it free!!! :eek:

ewww! I can not even begin to imagine what type of human being it would take to be that utterly pathetic!!!

Jolyn, With all due respect, you read her post differently than I did, she used the word expectation, which of course there is not one in this context. Maybe it is HER expectation as determined by HER judgement of the situation. Flexibility is a good word and maybe we as Americans should try to be flexible when we try to understand the cultures and customs of the rest of the world and not be world snobs about some of these matters. Tipping really is no big deal in the grand scheme of things. I don't subscribe to some of the customs of other countries, but I am not going to condemn them for practicing them nor am I going to practice them.

True, so much lies in interpretation :) To me the 'expectations' are $10 pp per day which may be adjusted up or down according to services. This alone should have been enough for the English people to know that they in fact did not: 'We pay an fair salary to the employee w/o the tip".according to what cruising photo overheard.

I promise I'm really not trying to be argumentative:o just trying to let you know where I'm coming from.

LMAOOOO.... Ooooh I know who you are talking about!!!!!! And yes, St Louis... watch out!

Not sure why someone would travel to another country without researching its customs and cultures. I can only speak for myself, and I for one do all the research I can to make sure that I enjoy my vacation and enrich the lives of those I come in contact with while in their country. It is all about respect for others. IF tipping is a custom, than tip. How much is up to you, but nothing is a slap in the face to those who have provided service for you.

Phooey with the arguments about whether one does as Romans when in Rome. The logic in the statement attributed to these British passengers just doesn't make sense.

The tips were removed because "English don't tip. We pay an fair salary to the employee w/o the tip". They were quite satisfied that they had removed this "unfair" charge to their bill.

"English don't tip. WE PAY A FAIR SALARY TO THE EMPLOYEE WITHOUT THE TIP."

That makes perfect sense, but the fallacy in the logic is that the ship does not pay the service employees the way they believe the English always do. One has to wonder if they thought what their steward, or waiter, was paid w/o tips was a "fair salary."

If so, well, then they certainly had every right not to tip. But if they would not consider that a "fair salary" then their logic fails.

On our Hawaiian cruise last year we sat with an Australian couple at breakfast that complained bitterly about the tipping, but also opined that the cruise line ought to just pay a decent salary to begin with. So, while it was not their custom, and they didn't like the different custom, at least they recognized the "why" behind it.

True, so much lies in interpretation :) To me the 'expectations' are $10 pp per day which may be adjusted up or down according to services. This alone should have been enough for the English people to know that they in fact did not: 'We pay an fair salary to the employee w/o the tip".according to what cruising photo overheard.

I promise I'm really not trying to be argumentative:o just trying to let you know where I'm coming from.

I'm really not trying to argue either...I just think Tipping should be between the Tipper and the Tippee. Cruiselines provide "Guidelines" which are far different from "Expectations" and decisions should be made useing those guidelines and by the services received. That's how I do it, but other people may like it done differently. Too many people get on these threads and call posters unflattering names if they don't proceed as they advise/dictate.

I'm really not trying to argue either...I just think Tipping should be between the Tipper and the Tippee. Cruiselines provide "Guidelines" which are far different from "Expectations" and decisions should be made useing those guidelines and by the services received. That's how I do it, but other people may like it done differently. Too many people get on these threads and call posters unflattering names if they don't proceed as they advise/dictate.

I knew you weren't trying to argue :) I just didn't want you to think that I was...lol. I agree that it is ultimately up to each individual to decide when and if to tip. I suppose my college years waiting tables for $2.25 hr may have skewed my opinions regarding tipping; to me the bottom line is the Europeans that this OP overheard (I can't say whether all English people feel this way) felt the employees were paid enough by their cruise fares, which isn't totally correct. Otherwise it is up to each individual to tip as they see necessary.

Glad there's no hard feelings, I really wasn't trying to come down on anyone;)

Archived