Price of lobster lunch in Bar Harbor?

Chance's Mom

We are starting to budget for excursions for our Sept. New England cruise on the CB Princess. How much should we allow for a lobster lunch in Bar Harbor?:confused: I know that the price will vary. We are just looking for a ball park figure. We are looking for a whole lobster :) as opposed to a lobster roll.

Thank You!

I'm going to be rather wishy-washy on this one. Somewhere between $20-35 for a meal.

This is really subject to change. Right now the lobstermen are getting less for their lobsters than they have in the past 20 years. There is a talk of boycotting / stopping to drive prices up. There are still lots of lobsters in local pounds for restaurants to buy from .... don't know if anything will actually happen. Probably won't.

Enjoy your visit (and your lobster). Jan

15.95 (plus 7% tax) is a good price for a lobster that is cooked. The price for a dinner isn't bad either. I'll have to talk my DH to going there on a weekend.

Find out if they are shedders ... this is the season for soft shell (July-Oct) and some look large but don't have as much meat inside. DH really likes the 1 1/2# lobsters (but they are more expensive per pound).

Enjoy your dinner .... I'm hungry just thinking about it!!! :D

PS - I like Maine scallops, Maine crab (small crabs - hard to pick) and really love our Maine shrimp ... small but full of flavor). Jan

We got 1 and 1/2 lb. lobsters last night at our local supermarket. Hannafords, in Portland, Maine. Anyway, they steamed them at the store for us and we picked them up at the agreed upon time. They do this for free. The lobsters were 4.99 a pound. Took them home and melted some butter. Delicious!;)

My point here is that if all you want is lobster, go to someplace in Bar Harbor where they serve them casually outside on picnic tables. They call this "in the rough". Some places allow you to bring your own wine/beer. It will be much less expensive doing it this way. $10-15 at most. Lobster ALWAYS taste better outside. Have fun in our beautiful state.

Ok I will be on the Explorer of the Seas Sept 17th sailing and we are going to be in Bar Harbour on the 20th. My main purpose to go on a cruise to Maine is to eat Lobster, now I have a name of a place to eat it. I would like to eat it outside on picnic tables like I see in the movies. Can you do this at this particular restaurant ? If not then do ya'll have a name of a restaurant to eat it outside ?

Take rt 3 heading North, the street name could be Main St in town or Eden St. Anyway it up the hill from where you are dropped off then turn right at Eden ST, RT3. Follow that north about 5 miles until you cross a bridge taking you off the island. Just after you cross the bridge on your left is a lobster pound. You pick your lobster and sides and in a few minutes it brought to you to eat in a tin pan. Very Rough but so much flavor.

Heading back to town again just past the bridge is a state park where you could also take your feast for a picnic and a great view.

Hope that helps.

You can also follow signs to the airport to get there.

Better yet hire a cab for an hour.

If you rent a car from Enterprise they will pick you up at the ship and drive you back to the airport to drop the driver off. Then 30 seconds from the airport on your right is the lobster place.

It might be on a free bus route also.

framer

Abear2 wrote & asked: now I have a name of a place to eat it. I would like to eat it outside on picnic tables like I see in the movies. Can you do this at this particular restaurant ?…

My reply with a question: What is the name of the particular restaurant you say you have the name of? Or did I miss something you posted elsewhere?

The lobster pound framer (post #8) referred to in his post is the Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound. Located off island but right at the bridge to. http://www.trentonbridgelobster.com/index.html . The free bus service (Island Explorer) has limited service to there to 10/12. Here is the schedule for that route, #1.

http://www.exploreacadia.com/route1.htm

In Bar Harbor (take note of the correct spelling of the name), there is a restaurant within walking distance of the tender dock that has “pound” in its name and it does offer outside seating. Stewmans Lobster Pound has 2 locations. I’m referring to the one in downtown BH at the wharf, 35 West Street. http://www.stewmanslobsterpound.com/default.asp

just curious here, but what movie did you see where the people were eating lobsters "outside on picnic tables".

the menu here

www.weststreetcafe.com

prices seem very reasonable------I'll be there soon myself

Had lunch there after our tour of Acadia National Park. We didn't eat the Earlybird lobster special but I noticed a table of ladies who looked liked fellow Princess cruisers enjoying their whole lobster. The size of the lobster looked just right for lunch. I had the lobster roll which was OK. My wife had the lobster saute which looked like the meat from a whole lobster sauted in butter. That was good and she didn't have to mess with getting the meat out of the shell. We finished our lunch with 2 slices of their fresh blueberry pie. Good stuff.

Ok I will be on the Explorer of the Seas Sept 17th sailing and we are going to be in Bar Harbour on the 20th. My main purpose to go on a cruise to Maine is to eat Lobster, now I have a name of a place to eat it. I would like to eat it outside on picnic tables like I see in the movies. Can you do this at this particular restaurant ? If not then do ya'll have a name of a restaurant to eat it outside ?

I must say, your post made me smile. Now that the cat is out of the bag, I'll admit that my main purpose of the New England cruise is to eat lobster and more lobster. I don't go until October, so please report back on how the lobster was.

We to are going to Bar Harbor and will be on the Explorer of the Seas leaving Bayonne on 10/15/09. Love this cruise and have done it before. We also are planning on eating as much Lobster as possible..:D

On our last trip to Bar Harbor we had lobster rolls at Stewmans and they were just delicious. Wonderful to sit outside overlooking the harbor also. They had the option of whole lobsters also but since we never had a lobster roll we thought we would try it and we just loved it. Don't know if we will try that West Street Cafe whole lobster feast but it sound tempting. Guess we will decide with the weather.

We had been in Halifax also and tried a lobster roll there and did not like it at all. This trip we are going to search out a whole lobster restaurant.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived