Interview for Chef's Table

m steve

As I recall, we were asked if we had any symptoms of illness (particularly fever or GI) and also if we had any food allergies. There was some general conversation about what the event entailed. (Including the "closed-toe shoe" thing for women).

I don't recall anything else. Some have suggested that the maitre d' assesses whether the group seems convivial/compatible, but I'm not sure I buy it....

I am not sure if you call it an interview or a pre-dinner meeting. The maitre d' explained the logistics of the night, time frames, asked about allergies and if we were all in good health and such since we were going into the galley while in operation. We had one couple who missed the meeting and still came the following night. Meeting took about 45 minutes with most of the time spent talking amongst ourselves waiting for the missing couple.

The Chef's Table was definitely the highlight of our last cruise!!!

Tim

I am not sure if you call it an interview or a pre-dinner meeting. The maitre d' explained the logistics of the night, time frames, asked about allergies and if we were all in good health and such since we were going into the galley while in operation. We had one couple who missed the meeting and still came the following night. Meeting took about 45 minutes with most of the time spent talking amongst ourselves waiting for the missing couple.

The Chef's Table was definitely the highlight of our last cruise!!!

Tim

That was about it. No biggie. Enjoy. The Chefs Table is an awesome experience.

marilyn

How strict are they on the closed-toe shoe requirement? If I didn't read it here, I would only have dressy open toed shoes for my dressy outfits during a warm weather cruise.

So funny--the closed toe shoe situation got me at the interview--maybe all of 5 minutes--I don't wear closed toe shoes normally--the next day we were in Aruba and I found a pair of closed toe shoes--I was told that I could wear my tennis shoes in the kitchen and then change them when we went into the dining room--I also don't take tennis shoes with me--

apparently--they seem concerned with the cleanliness of our bare feet--I thought they were concerned that something would fall on our toes--this was a warm weather cruise also--and--living in Southern california closed toe shows are not very important to me

Enjoy

Nancy:D

What does this entail? Questions about you food experience or alergies? Please advise.

For us, the Maitre'D came over and asked us about food allergies and our general health over the last 72 hours. He also asked us if we were willing to try different foods.

We were told what type of shoes to wear and where to meet the next day.

How strict are they on the closed-toe shoe requirement? If I didn't read it here, I would only have dressy open toed shoes for my dressy outfits during a warm weather cruise.

They will not let you into the kitchen with open toed shoes. I believe this is both a safety and a health requirement.

There is a place a volunteer at that cooks and packs meals to deliver to seniors. You can not voluneer in the kitchen unless you are wearing closed toed shoes.

<living in Southern california closed toe shows are not very important to me>

Nancy -

Same situation here. I can't even remember the last pair of closed-toed shoes I owned, save for some tennis shoes.......

I wonder if they only want the "toe" portion to be closed. What about closed toed dressy shoes with just a strap across your heel?

<living in Southern california closed toe shows are not very important to me>

Nancy -

Same situation here. I can't even remember the last pair of closed-toed shoes I owned, save for some tennis shoes.......

I wonder if they only want the "toe" portion to be closed. What about closed toed dressy shoes with just a strap across your heel?

That's what I bought in Aruba--closed toe and heal strap--probably don't even need the heel strap--who knows ????

Nancy:D

Hi There

Having done the table more than once,

the best interviewed us a day before, ask about things like nuts etc, but also asked about what do you like to eat, and added things to the menu

so we all had something special to eat,

We then had a chat on the day about what was going to happen etc.

The worest well nothing, as such evening was good but not amazing.

yours Shogun

When we did the Chef's table in May we had no interview, just were asked

about food allergies when we signed up. I also wore open toe shoes as that was all I had and had no problem. I've since read others that only had open toed shoes and wore them. No one even seemed to look at our feet and the only areas of the kitchen we were in were hallway and an area with a stainless steel table for our appetizers. There was no food or

supplies around. The only food we saw was on the other side of a window.

I was concerned about this also, and specifically asked the Maitre d' about it. His response was that he would be too busy looking at my eyes to notice what was on my feet. What a sweetheart!;)

Rochelle

Pretty much, its a health issue.

Its on their list of requirments so do you take a chance that it will/or will not be enforced?

That shoe requirement threw me for a loop, too. However, I was told on the Golden that they just didn't want people to wear flip-flops. I only had strappy sandals along and it wasn't a problem. Guests are given white coats to wear into the kitchen and the first stop is the hand washing station.

We have been lucky enough to have done the Chef's Table twice. The first time was in the Caribbean, where the interview consisted of asking about food allergies and recent illness. The closed toe shoe requirement was waived for us, since most women don't bring closed toe shoes to the Caribbean. We also were not required to wear the white coats in the galley. Two weeks ago, we were on the Island cruising Alaska. The interview was basically the same, but we WERE required to wear closed toe shoes. Luckily, I had a pair of black canvas shoes that fit the bill. Before going into the galley, white coats were put on each of us....mine didn't fit and I was uncomfortable for that portion. They need to ask what size you wear in the interview. All in all, the experience is so wonderful, it is worth all of the inconveniences.

We have been lucky enough to have done the Chef's Table twice. The first time was in the Caribbean, where the interview consisted of asking about food allergies and recent illness. The closed toe shoe requirement was waived for us, since most women don't bring closed toe shoes to the Caribbean. We also were not required to wear the white coats in the galley. Two weeks ago, we were on the Island cruising Alaska. The interview was basically the same, but we WERE required to wear closed toe shoes. Luckily, I had a pair of black canvas shoes that fit the bill. Before going into the galley, white coats were put on each of us....mine didn't fit and I was uncomfortable for that portion. They need to ask what size you wear in the interview. All in all, the experience is so wonderful, it is worth all of the inconveniences.

ROTFLMAO:D:D:D

My jacket was so small, it fit like a short sleeved shirt:mad:

And I'm not that big of a guy:eek:

Archived