What was your first cruise?

alabama ghost

My first cruise was in March 2001 on Carnival Destiny wih my sister and 2 kids 5 and 8 .We were sharing a cabin .I needed a vacation because my MOm had died the previous October and even after those few months still deeply felt the loss.

WE went to the Southern Carib and I fell in love with Curacao St Thomas and St Maarten

At first I could only afford winter break cruises in March but I found Cruise Critic became a little more knowledgeable with computers and started to plan 2 cruises a year

Now 22 cruises later I still love ships and have tried many companies >i love Princess but still enjoy Costa and Carnival

I hope to continue to cruise for a long long time I am lucky my son 18 soon still enjoys our travels

We have been all over the Caribbean,to Panama,Mexico <Hawaii,Bermuda Alaska and are planning South America

I would love to see the WORLD from a ship ...

Michele

My first cruise was a 7 day r/t from NYC to Bermuda in 1971 on Cunard's Franconia with the ship serving as a hotel for 3 nights in Hamilton. I fell in love with both cruising and Bermuda in one fell swoop!

My first cruise with Princess is 50 days away and I am really looking forward to it!

My first (DW's second) was on the Song of Norway back in 1990 in the Southern Caribbean. It was our honeymoon and it hooked us both BIG TIME.

- Skeet shooting and golf ball driving off the aft deck was awesome

- No TV or news to speak of

A truly magical getaway from the real world. Today's cruise's are still great but nothing compares to that type of "getaway". Total relaxation set in by day 2...

Post cruise we stayed at the El San Juan in PR and had a blast while getting adjusted to being back in the real world.

RA

My first cruise was originally booked with Sitmar aboard their newest ship FairMajesty. Princess acquired the line and the ship became the original Star Princess. I sailed the inaugural, a 10 day Carribean itinerary from Ft. Lauderdale on March 24, 1989. I have such wonderful memories of that first cruising experience, the inaugural festivities, and the wonderful crew. Since then, I have had the pleasure of experiencing 5 other inaugural sailings with Princess, and 36 cruises to date! My 37th cruise will be at Thanksgiving aboard the Ruby. I was definitely hooked after the first and always feel at home aboard a Princess ship.

Our first cruise was on the Disney Magic when it came out to the West Coast for the first time to do Mexican Riviera cruises. We had no idea what to expect, but when you walk onboard there is someone there to greet you and they announce your last name over the microphone like this... "Welcome to the Jones family"... It was so nice and you feel like a celebrity walking into the gorgeous atrium. It just got better from there and we were hooked on cruising.

I read on another board a thread like this one and thoroughly enjoyed it. Hope you might like to remember something like this.

My first cruise was on the S/S Florida, part of the P&O Cruise Lines, from Miami to Nassau in the summer of 1966. Very small, by today's standards and the "staterooms" reminded me of those on trains. We had a wonderful time and that began our family cruising which we're still doing today. I remember they had a special deal where teenagers (or children?) could cruise free and my sister and I even got our own room.

Does anyone else remember this ship? Or tell us about your first experience on a cruise line. My dad would say his first was a trip overseas during World War II when he went to Europe on the Ille de France. (Not sure I spelled that right.)

Hi,

Still have fond memories of my first cruise in 1959 as young 10 yr old Scots lad emigrating to Canada with his parents. We came on Canadian Pacific Steamship Lines' "EMPRESS OF ENGLAND" and sailed from Greenock, Scotland to Montreal with a stop in Quebec City.

I do not fondly recall the first night at sea, combatting the head on surge of the Atlantic with the broadside beating from the Irish Sea. There were many onboard that first night who ended up talking to Beulah on the great white telephone (the loo) and for our First Nations brothers and sisters, you'd be tickled to know that yes there were truly many palefaces onboard the first morning into the North Atlantic.

My parents were booked passage in Tourist Class in stateroom C27. The decks were lettered back then with no fancy names, and the ship was divided into both FirstClass and Tourist, with large walls dividing the Promenade Deck between the classes of passengers.

Us kids found the loopholes tho' and managed to sneak in to use the First Class pools by a small doorway behind the stage curtains in the Tourist Class Ballroom.

Cabins certainly were basic back then, however the entire vessel was decorated in light coloured woods (even in the staterooms). With 2 adults a 10 and 2 yr old, needless to say it was certainly a squeeze. There was a sink, however, and shower and toilet facilities were down at the end of the companionway, much like army barracks.

It was this cruise that got me hooked and wasn't til 14 yrs later as a university graduate that I was able to get back to sea onboard P&O's ORIANA for my voyage to New Zealand.

Since then as you can see by my signature block I have down additional cruisng and while I don't consider myself a cruiseaholic, I do enjoy the vacation advantages that a relaxing cruise can bring.

Ciao for now!!!

Archived