What was your first cruise?

alabama ghost

Our 1st cruise was on the NCL Seaward in 1993 for our 25th wedding anniv. and we, of course, became hooked on cruising. The 2nd cruise was on the lovely old blue lady, the SS Norway--what a wonderful ship. Now ready for our 12th cruise - and (hopefully), still counting.:D;)

My first cruise was on the Norwegian Seaward in 1980. On the same day the Starward had an engine fire at the dock right behind our ship.

In those days Jamaica was a lot less crowded. Our group of ten was the only one at Dunn’s River falls. Now it’s always packed. We also went to a private beach where we could walk out about a quarter mile in waist deep water. Any further than that and there was a drop off after the reef of about 200 feet.

Would've had to have been the Pinta, Nina, or Santa Maria back in 1492. The luxurious new Mayflower didn't come along for another 150 years or so..... I hear passengers were complaining that the food had gone downhill and service wasn't as good as in the good old days.....

Bwah, ha, ha!

My first cruise was aboard the Azure Seas (don't even remember which cruise line it was way back then). From San Pedro to Ensenada round trip. THREE DAYS!

It was in the early 70's and I took my mom as my roomie --she was 75 at the time.

I paid for the cruise, Mom paid all other costs! (Much more than the basic cost of an inside cabin.)

It was a fantastic trip! There was a live brass band at sail-away, Champagne was generously poured for everyone upon arrival, streamers were distributed for sail away. WHAT FUN!!

Food was fantastic--cavier and canapes were everywhere, and champagne was abundant!

Because of her age, we received a table for two and our service could not have been better. Wine, which mom enjoyed (she lived in Napa) was wonderful and priced moderately.

Mom enjoyed the good service and tipped very well.

We had just an inside room because that was the best I could afford back then. Thank God, I've never had to have an inside since then. But, frankly it really was not a bad room!

WE HAD A GREAT TIME! -- Mom passed at age 90 (and enjoyed many other cruises after the first) but I hope to think that her first "short, small cruise" was one of the highlights of her life.

Since she sufferred from Alzheimers at the time of the cruise--any enjoyment she had was a blessing! She lived a long time after that cruise, and in spite of the Alzheimers--she NEVER forgot that experience. I KNOW I NEVER WILL!

My first cruise was on the Dolphin's Sea Breeze in 1989 to the Caribbean. It was a cargo ship refitted to be a cruise ship. Hurricane Gabrielle (right before Hugo) was playing around at that time. All the other cruise ships went west and avoided her. Our captain decide our ship could with stand it, and we went through the tailend of it for about 24 to 36 hours. Even with the rough weather, I caught the cruise bug. Thankfully, I've never had to go through a hurricane on any other cruise!

Tammy

Spring 2000 - My first time ever on a ship or outside of the country. I sailed on the S.S. Universe Explorer (Semester at Sea) and sailed around the world in 104 days visiting 10 countries: Cuba, Brazil, South Africa, Kenya, India, Malaysia, Singapore, China, Vietnam, and Japan. It was the experience of a lifetime!

Summer 0f 1955. SS Lurline from San Francisco to Hawaii as a teenager:cool:

As we left the pier in SFO (still used today) we watched as my father ran down the pier to catch the ship-Missed. They brought him out on the pilot boat.

Ship was full of coeds going to Hawaii for summer vacation:D DARN:)

I remember my Dad reading the extensive menu to my younger brother and after listing the Filet Mignon, Cavier, etc., my brother asked Dad; "Don't they just have peanut butter sandwiches"?:p

Aw the good old days.

Would've had to have been the Pinta, Nina, or Santa Maria back in 1492. The luxurious new Mayflower didn't come along for another 150 years or so..... I hear passengers were complaining that the food had gone downhill and service wasn't as good as in the good old days.....

dreams alway get things mixed up

hi alabama ghost we were on the oceanic out of new york to nassau rt back in 1970.The price for a suite was 390.00 p/p.The ship was only five years old at that time.Just about all pastas and desserts were prepared at your table.

long cruiser

My first cruise was on one of those 4 day 3 nite trips out of L.A. in 1994 on a Norwegian ship. But my first real cruise was on the Sky princess in 2000 to Alaska and have been sailing ever since.:D

Marilyn

Our first cruise was on the old Emerald Seas out of Miami on their 4-night cruise over the Christmas holidays. We drove down from South Carolina. I remember being so nervous and scared until we boarded and I got involved in everything going on. Our two boys were with us then. We were hooked.

My first ocean voyage was on a Clyde Mallory Line ship New York City to Jacksonville Fl

in October 1939 when I was 3 months old. That was the Chippewa.

My first pleasure cruise was on the Premier ship, the Royale. It was her 4th cruise, April

1984. We had an inside upper and lower because we didn't know if we'd like it and couldn't

afford to blow all that money. We had to put the chair into the bathroom to reach the

beds. I fell in love with cruising and 40 plus cruises later, the only stateroom number I

remember is that one, M22. It broke my heart when she sank being towed in the Atlantic.

Our first cruise was around the Pacific Islands on the Pacific Star in 2007. 2 adults and 2 adult children in a 4 berth inside cabin! Our other DD was on her first contract as a dancer and we went to see what that involved. Little did we know how addictive cruising would become.

Our first was an Eastern Caribbean from Miami, 7 Days, Carnival Celebration, July 1989. Didn't know about Cruise Critic then. We packed 10 suitcases (including carry-ons) - had to change clothes 3 times a day to wear them all!

Our first voyage on Princess was a Western Caribbean from Ft. Lauderdale on the Sun Princess, January 1997. We tried to book an aft mini-suite but they were all taken. Princess offered us an aft suite (C-746) for the same price - our first upgrade! We hit elite on Princess this September thru the Panama Canal. Besides Carnival, we have sailed on Noregian and HAL - Princess by far is our favorite.

See you on the water,

Rex

Archived