What was your first cruise?

alabama ghost

I read on another board a thread like this one and thoroughly enjoyed it. Hope you might like to remember something like this.

My first cruise was on the S/S Florida, part of the P&O Cruise Lines, from Miami to Nassau in the summer of 1966. Very small, by today's standards and the "staterooms" reminded me of those on trains. We had a wonderful time and that began our family cruising which we're still doing today. I remember they had a special deal where teenagers (or children?) could cruise free and my sister and I even got our own room.

Does anyone else remember this ship? Or tell us about your first experience on a cruise line. My dad would say his first was a trip overseas during World War II when he went to Europe on the Ille de France. (Not sure I spelled that right.)

I read on another board a thread like this one and thoroughly enjoyed it. Hope you might like to remember something like this.

My first cruise was on the S/S Florida, part of the P&O Cruise Lines, from Miami to Nassau in the summer of 1966. Very small, by today's standards and the "staterooms" reminded me of those on trains. We had a wonderful time and that began our family cruising which we're still doing today. I remember they had a special deal where teenagers (or children?) could cruise free and my sister and I even got our own room.

Does anyone else remember this ship? Or tell us about your first experience on a cruise line. My dad would say his first was a trip overseas during World War II when he went to Europe on the Ille de France. (Not sure I spelled that right.)

My first cruise was Miami to Havana Cuba but I don't remember much about, obviously pre 1959.

I had posted the question some time ago on this board to find out the possible name of the ship or the line. Someone suggested SS Florida, but I guess there were many ships and ferrys that did that route so I was never able to trace it down.

First real cruise was Carnival Mardi Gras, 1981 I think.

The Panama Canal cruise on the Sun Princess in November 2001. Yup, shortley after 9-11.

It was for our 25th anniversary and our introduction to cruising. We have been on 3 cruises sinse then. The 2nd was with RC (large ship) & the last two again with Princess. (Tahitian & Sea)

Obviously we enjoyed our selves immensly. Where to cruise to next? :D

My first cruise was on Princess in 89 to the Bahamas. I was still in school and barely remember it . I was a two day affair.

So my first real cruise was last summer to the Baltic on the Crown for 10 day. Got me hooked!:)

My first cruise was on RCL Song Of America in early 1980. What a beautiful ship. I remember they had skeet shooting, and lots of caviar on almost everything you ate:)

I remember the skeet shooting on my first real cruise from Miami to the Bahamas in June 1977. I think the this cruise was Costa!! Not sure.

I had cruised in Oct of 1976 as well on a 2 day from Italy to Greece. That one was bare bones!! 4 (i think per room and no private baths!)

Our first cruise was in 1980 on the Island Princess sister ship to the Pacific Princess famous for the TV show The Love Boat. It was our 25th anniversary and the ship held about 600 passengers. It was an Inland passage (Alaska) cruise. We still love cruising. The Island Princess has a very special place in our hearts. We thought she was such a beautiful ship.

First cruise was our honeymoon in 1970.

It was on NCL. I think it was the Norway but not sure.

We had a porthole in the room but the room was so small that both of us couldn't walk around at the same time!

The bathroom WAS the shower! We had to dry the toilet after every shower!

The bed was a glorified twin that had some kind of metal pan under it that made noise every time you moved and it was our honeymoon ..... :eek::D

Still. it was the most wonderful, relaxing week and we were hooked!

Oh and it was either $195 each or $195 for BOTH of us for the week!

There was another honeymooning couple at our dinner table that had never been out of their very small town before and didn't know about tips so didn't show up for the last dinner and breakfast.

My first cruise was on the SS Norway way back in the late 70's or early 80's. Then on to the Song of America, and a few more - cannot remember the name of the ships, but it was RCCL and Norwegian. Then quite a long break until 2002 and Princess. Addiction started then and continues strong:D.

My first cruise was on the Yarmouth in 1964 round trip to from San Francisco to Seattle fo r the World's Fair. My mother thought it was a good way to for our family to go. We had bunk beds in the cabin and the bathroom was down the hall. It was a great trip and I had to wait until the '70s until I cruised again.

My first cruise was on a Disney Cruise to the Bahamas when I was 9 years old. I went with my grandmother and mother. I was sick most of the time but still had fun. I remember I watched a special on the Titanic before going on the cruise and got totally scarred and stressed out!

I will never forget this memorable experience.

Our first cruise was the Carnival Celebration. Her first summer sailing. I remember skeet shooting, and hitting golf balls off the back of the ship! We sailed the Norway too. I remember the smells of the ship on the Norway. Like an old battle ship!

I didn't cruise until 2002. It was on the Carnival Sensation. I really didn't enjoy it. I think the biggest problem was that it was only a 4 night cruise. Because of that, it was really more of a booze cruise attitude which I didn't like. It almost turned me off from sailing again.

As you can see from my signature it took a while for me to try it again, and only because I got such a great deal on HAL.

I loved the second cruise and have cruised every year since then

SS Alaska, Alaska SS Co. Late August 1954, Seattle to Alaska & return. This was the last voyage of this ship. Carried both cargo and a few hundred passengers. Our last port in Alaska was Kodiak and when we sailed from there the entire population of the area was there to see us off. Our cabin opened onto the deck and the bathrooms were down the deck aways. Wonderful never to be forgotten trip, took a small seaplane out of Wrangell and landed on the Mendenhall glacier, nowadays they use Helicopters. In those days it was really a grand glacier to be seen.

PAT CC

My DH and I were having marital problems and decided we needed to get away. With only 1 week notice, we were forced with an inside cabin and you all know the size of the bathrooms. You can sit on the "john" take a shower and brush your teeth at the same time. We were living in Fl at the time and picked a 3 day cruise to Nassau and during this cruise, we met a group of Canadians who got us into trouble, but we loved it. Needless to say, my DH and I fixed our marriage and have celebrated our 52nd anniversary not long ago. I believe it was 1972 and can't remember the name of the ship

Our first cruise was in July 2004 on the Dawn Princess to Alaska. It was our honeymoon and we had a fantastic time. It totally got us hooked, and within 2 weeks of being home, we had our next one booked!!

We've since tried to take 2 cruises a year!!

Archived