Just off the Dawn sunday.....

kosoffj

First off – we had a great vacation! The Dawn was an awesome time, a beautiful ship! We had a balcony cabin and sailing around the statue of liberty and sitting on our balcony was AWESOME. We brought our 3.5 year old and he had high high marks for both the kid’s crew and the kid’s pool area which he LOVED (so needless to say we loved J). The food we had was very good (more on this later) and the staff was excellent no complaints.

We are very loyal to NCL, we love freestyle and weren’t fond of the 2 Royal cruises we took. We cruise them 2-3 times a year and will continue to do so. The complaints I have are to share with you guys not to say I am looking for compensation or will never cruise them again (lol).

That said I had some things that annoyed me and I could see putting a big damper on others vacation. We were feeling in real need of a vacation after a rough spring so we let it roll of our backs, afterall we were on vacation and that was the important thing. So here goes:

- The lines on the dawn for dinner are real. First 2 nights 45+ minutes in both dining rooms the THREE times we checked (anywhere from 6-8:30). We gave up the first night and just ate tapas at salsas. I really wanted the special the second night so we persevered. It got better as the cruise went on, but it was the worst I’ve seen on now 14 ncl cruises and they need to do something about it. There was a tone of grousing that “freestyle” doesn’t work and I can see if that was your first time you’d think that.

And the reason is not the new menus (I heard lots of grousing about that – more below – people from the northeast aren’t shy lol) I really think a lot of people don’t want to pay extra for dinner. We heard lots of “I already paid why should I have to pay again”. The specialty restaurants were empty. We met a family of 6 that waltzed into cagneys for dinner. We walked right into le bistro at 8pm and were one of 4 tables. I think with the economy like it is (esp in nyc and the NE) people were unwilling to spend extra $$ for dinner. Maybe they should put trattoria on this ship in the buffet (like other ships I’ve been on – this one had fine Italian dining for a $$$) and make it free or make salsas free to handle the overflow for the main dining? There were also no specials (2 for 1 from 5:30-6:30 like they used to have) for the specialty restaurants, maybe bringing them back would help? But you can’t just make people line up for an hour, like I said we went with it cause we know it’s not usually like that but I can see it really turning some off of NCL.

- The set menus are dull. Sorry guys, I wanted to like them but the couple of times I ordered entrees from them I was disappointed. It’s not that the food was bad, it was just dully presented and not very exciting. Ie: I ordered the steak (I can’t remember which restaurant – sorry) It had a tasteless brown gravy and a soft onion ring ontop. The steak itself was cooked perfectly and was tasty, I was just looking for a little more pizzaz in the sauces and presentation!

The specials on the other hand were fabu, best I’ve had in an ncl main dining room (props to the night with the tuna tartare and rack of lamb). And to those of you who wanted more desserts, they listened! There is now a special dessert of the day as well. Incidentally I thought the desserts were the best I’d had on NCL (props to the cheesecake and pecan pie).DH is allergic to shellfish and the apps lean heavily on shellfish, which made it a little dull for him. That being said we were pleased with most of the salads and the asparagus soup is AWESOME. Hey maybe I should have just ordered apps and dessert lol!

We really like ALL foods (save for DH and shellfish) there isn’t anything on either menu we wouldn’t eat so we are not picky at ALL, I just wasn’t excited by what I ordered. I still think the set menus can work, they just need some work :D (that being said I am someone who likes checking whats on the menu each night ;)

Props for the buffet. I generally hate buffets, but we weren’t thrilled with the combo of the menus and the lines so we went 2 times for dinner. Forget what is on the “steam table” (though whatever Chinese food of the day was there from orange beef to ma po tofu was excellent), the pasta station (biggest list of ingredients I’ve seen so far at one of these) and the quesadilla station (first time I saw this, they made them fresh to order and they were awesome, and the lines weren’t too bad. Nice cheese display with pretzel rolls, marinated artichokes and asparagus and shrimp cocktail and I was a happy girl :). I was a little sad that there was no capuccino machines in the buffet of the dawn and no eggs benedict on the breakfast buffet, but i survived lol

- This last thing made us probably the most annoyed. Apparently they removed concierge service for both gold and platinum. I rarely ever used the concierge. Maybe 3-4 times total on all cruises for a dinner reservation or a little help getting off with our son. But it was a nicety that made me feel special. Ever since we turned gold I always felt a level of personal service, whether it was a letter fro the concierge in the stateroom, or the little nibbles they delivered during the week. All of that was gone from this cruise. Like I said we had a ball, but that little extra thank you for being loyal was missing and I can’t put my finger on it (I’m probably doing a horrible job explaining it) but it was a touch disappointing.

We spoke to the latitudes person in the buffet line about it and she agreed. She said it was a corporate decision and almost nobody agreed with it

That’s it. I can answer any ??? anyone has about the ship or the cruise. I’m sure someone without a 3.5 year old in tow can do better with the ports (we went to the beach!). But I’ll help anyway I can!

bummer on the MDR lines. my parents on are the Dawn this week. good thing i bought them the anniversary pkg. at least 1 dinner i know they won't have to wait in line.i would imagine it can vary from week to week. i'm also wondering if the only had 1 show on those busy dinner nights.

the OTHER thing i can see being a factor on the Dawn is that going to Bermuda makes it tough for dinner. as much as one would like to dine in town, i can see why people would head back to the ship...after all dinner is paid for there.

case in point...DW and i traveled with another couple. we had drinks...and eventually dinner at Beach Bar on Front St. in Hamilton. i think we must have spend $60 (DW and I), on just burgers and a couple drinks (i forget exactly). i'm not complaining at all. just reinforcing the idea of others possibly saying "hey let's just eat on the ship."

zoneph - yeah i agree on the prices in bermuda (one of the reasons we like to cruise there - we don't have to pay the $$ for hotels and dinner!), but these were the first 2 nights too when we hadn't gotten there yet. there just seemed to be the sentiment that people didn't want to pay extra for dinner.

i saw lots of griping on here before i went about long lines in the mdr and i didn't believe it cause except for 1 lobster night on the majesty (one of our few concierge uses lol) i had never experienced it. but it was true.

again it didn't ruin the cruise, we had a BALL, but i could tell it annoyed alot of people!

we bought the anniversary pckg too and had a fabu meal at le bistro! plus since we skipped te champane and cake party (that's the 1 hour kids crew is closed for a pizza party and we had done this many times) we came home with a nice 5x7 of the 3 of us included (we bouht the 8x10 too maybe why they were so charitable with the switch!)

will be our first time on Dawn in September...and looking forward to our trip--and do so appreciate your taking the time to post and your comments...

I thought they were going back to rotating menu..no?

sorry about the MDR waits -bummer...is it still an option to make a reservation of MDR ?

thinking of doing the Anniversary package...glad to hear they did make allowances for photo...

My fiance and I are planning on getting married in Bermuda during a cruise there next May (on the Dawn). Neither of us have ever taken a cruise before. Wondering if you can answer a few questions for me?

1. My fiance and I are on the bigger side. Are we going to have a tough time living comfortably in an inside or ocean view cabin or should we spring for the balcony?

2. Does anyone know what the rates are at the salon?

3. What time do the pools close on board?

4. While in port, can passengers come and go off the boat when they please or do doors close at a certain time?

I have some wedding related questions too.

5. I'm looking to coordinate everything with a planner in Bermuda. I contacted NCL to see how much it would through them. Almost $2500 more than ALL other quotes! I'm thinking about going with Bermuda Bride. Does anyone have experience with them?

6. We are coming into Kings Wharf. We're looking for a beach setting to get married. I would like to stay somewhat close to the port as we will have to take public transportation there multiple times throughout the trip. Does anyone know of any beautiful beaches or locations to have a ceremony around there?

Thanks so much for the help everyone!!

jaja - not sure on the menus i think it's a trial thing so i'm not sure they know when/if they are going. if you want to do le bistro and like wine the anniversary package is a very good deal. we pretty much always get it!

bermuda51310- i'll take a stab at a few

1) it's all what you are comfortable in. we personally never could care for the outside (it's just a porthole on alot of ships) so never sprung for the price increase over the inside (we got one on a gty once before our son was born and all it did was wake us up early. we did the inside for alot of cruises and had no issue with it. when our son hit 2ish it felt small, and we moved to the balcony. i now llloooooovve the balcony, it's just great to sit out there. but if we were cruising alone without him i'd still at least consider and inside.

2)no idea

3)i want to say 10 pm

4) come and go as you please till all aboard the day you leave. there is always a security person there to scan you in or out!

We were on the Dawn in May. We did see lines for dinner at the MDRs, but we never experienced more than a 5 minute wait. There were only two of us. In the past, we only encountered a wait one time (we've been on the Dawn 4 times) and they served us champagne while we waited. I think the problem is the result on not having Impressions as a MDR. If they still had that, most of the lines would be eliminated. I agree that the Specialty restaurants were fairly empty. We had no problems getting reservations and a lot of tables were empty.

What week are you looking to cruise on the Dawn? We are looking at the one leaving on May 23rd.

I will be on that cruise! My fiance and I will be getting married a few days before, so it will be our honeymoon. Super excited! It's gonna be a great cruise!

jaja - not sure on the menus i think it's a trial thing so i'm not sure they know when/if they are going. if you want to do le bistro and like wine the anniversary package is a very good deal. we pretty much always get it!

!

thanks ;)

1. When you dine at specialty restaurants can you order whatever you want and however much of it you want. On a cruise I like to sample new things so sometimes I will order a dinner I like and something I want to try.

2. What are the usual times from shows at night?

3. We usually like to eat around 530-600. Did you happen to notice what the MDR's were like then?

4. Did you see or hear anything about coupon books? I know the debate on here is still whether they exist or not?

5. What deck were you on and how were the room stewards? I was on the gem last year and asked for an extra towel to shower and was told by my room steward I was not allowed to have another one.

My fiance and I are planning on getting married in Bermuda during a cruise there next May (on the Dawn). Neither of us have ever taken a cruise before. Wondering if you can answer a few questions for me?

1. My fiance and I are on the bigger side. Are we going to have a tough time living comfortably in an inside or ocean view cabin or should we spring for the balcony?

Some inside cabins are larger than others and that should certainly be checked. The bathrooms don't change.

2. Does anyone know what the rates are at the salon? A bit more than what we are accustomed to at home but not sure.

3. What time do the pools close on board?

Late but not really sure.

4. While in port, can passengers come and go off the boat when they please or do doors close at a certain time?

Yes. Anytime you want

I have some wedding related questions too.

5. I'm looking to coordinate everything with a planner in Bermuda. I contacted NCL to see how much it would through them. Almost $2500 more than ALL other quotes! I'm thinking about going with Bermuda Bride. Does anyone have experience with them? I have seen other posts about this group so there may be something to that.

6. We are coming into Kings Wharf. We're looking for a beach setting to get married. I would like to stay somewhat close to the port as we will have to take public transportation there multiple times throughout the trip. Does anyone know of any beautiful beaches or locations to have a ceremony around there?

Try 9 Beaches

Thanks so much for the help everyone!!

Best wishes.

Thnaks kosoffj for your honest and detailed review. We too cruise 2 or 3 times a yr. and love cruising. We have tried many cruise lines and love each and everyone for different reasons. In the last 4yrs we have cruised NCL 6 times. We are on the Dawn again this Sept. Last time we cruised the Dawn the Italian and Salsa were free. I do believe that that helped with the overcrowding and lines in the Main dinning rooms. I do agree with you about maybe not charging and helping with the flow in the main dinning rooms. I know its a small charge now, but we still plan on going to a few of the Speciality resturants. The way I look at it,is the prices to cruise on NCL are generally lower then other lines. The couple of times we go to the pay resturants still doesn't add up to the cost of going on another line. That said, I do have a question for you. You mentioned rack of lamb and tuna tartar. Were these items both a special of the day on the same day? I know the couple we are cruising with would love these (its my sister husband's first cruise). When on board I know you can look at the menus, but do they also list the daily specials ahead. This would allow us to decide which days go to the speciality resturants and which days to eat in the main dinning room. My sister cruises for rack of lamb. LOL

Glad to hear that your family still had a marvelous time. Bermuda is a gem!!! We went there on our honeymoon 37yrs ago. We have been there serveral time since, and love the island and the people.

Happy cruising ................................

What is the deal with MDR reservations? Can you make them?

We were on the Dawn last week and made reservations for 3 of the 4 nights we ate in the MDRs. The wait lines seemed to flow much better at Venetian. There are 2 entrance doors, the right is for non-reservations, and the left is for reservations. Our 3 nights at Venetian we had reservations and were seated immediately. We didn't have reservations the one night we ate at Aqua. At Aqua there is only one rather small entrance door, and it's confusing where to line up. The people with reservations had a difficult time navigating through the crowd. A few people were getting vocal because there was no way to tell who had reservations and who didn't. I enjoyed the meal at Aqua, and our wait time was only 15-20 minutes, but we didn't return because of the confusion getting in.

All things considered, we had a great cruise and I would sail the Dawn again.

1. When you dine at specialty restaurants can you order whatever you want and however much of it you want. On a cruise I like to sample new things so sometimes I will order a dinner I like and something I want to try.

In the specialty restaurants you can only order one entree -- but as many of the "sides" as you might want (appetizers, soups, desserts). Sometimes they'll let you order another entree, but usually only if you really didn't like what you were first served.

You can still order whatever and however much you want in the main dining rooms.

2. What are the usual times from shows at night?

Don't know; we don't usually go to shows.

3. We usually like to eat around 530-600. Did you happen to notice what the MDR's were like then?

You like to eat when everyone else likes to eat! When we were on the Jewel in the fall, this half-hour was by far the busiest. We went about 6:15-6:30, and never experienced a wait, except one time, and that was for about 15 minutes.

4. Did you see or hear anything about coupon books? I know the debate on here is still whether they exist or not?

5. What deck were you on and how were the room stewards? I was on the gem last year and asked for an extra towel to shower and was told by my room steward I was not allowed to have another one.

We were on deck 10..don't know that the deck level makes a difference. Don't know why you weren't given another towel! We asked for extra towels and washcloths, and both were brought promptly to the room. Did you call the head of housekeeping (or go by the desk) and ask?

teesa -

1) 1 entree and then as much of whatever else you want. we dined at le bistro and were raving about our escargot so much the waiter brought another one unsolicted ;-) course then we couldn't touch our dessert, but they were kind enough to wrap it to go

2) i think the production shows were like 7/9 or 7:9:30, but there were lots of musical comedy acts that were offered one time and there times varied. do NOT mis fire and ice (particularly the tina turna tribute), dave heenan, second city and bernie martini. didn't care for the magician and we don't go to the production numbers....

3)honestly the first 2 days it was packed the whole time. it was a little better when we got to bermuda. seemd people would flock to 1 restaurant and we'd call both and just go to the other....

4) no idea

5) we got as many towels as we asked for :)

etski -

yep they post the specials for every day next to the menu in the front of the restaurant. they also loop them on tv and post them i nthe freestyle daily.

apparently rack of lamb used to be on the set menu but they took it off in favor of leg of lamb. rack of lamb was the special day 2 (why we waited in line i love it too, i ordered it again at le bistro) as was the tuna tartare app (it wasn't minced more like smale sushi pieces ontop of avocado and red onion - it was absolutely wonderful). i had them bothe the same night and i ahad the asparagus soup and the cheeesecake with berries, it was the best dinenr of the cruise bar none!

have a ball, we did, and are now looking at one in october to the mexican riviera :eek:

I loved your review - we are going on the GEM in March out of NYC. We are taking our son who will be 3 years and 2 months old. My sisters are going with there children so my son will have his cousins with him in the kids crew since they are all in the same age range. My question is about the kids crew - I know I am going on a different ship, people rave about the kids crew, did your son love it and did they do all kinds of different activities?

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip! We were on the Dawn in May and did not experience any long line situations for dinner. We were a group of 6, but some nights only 4 for dinner. Never waited more than 10 minutes for a table, even in prime time. The thing that is a bonus with cruising to Bermuda and the "freestyle" dining, is there is no set time you have to be back on the ship each day for dinner.

Really good posts, thanks cause we'll be on the Dawn in january. I hope Salsas texmex and Impressions italian will be free, but if they have the pasta and quesadilla stations on the buffet, I'll be fine.

Those restaurants haven't been free for some time.

mstmp - he absolutely loved it. this is his 7th cruise (crazy i know but we love to travel!) and his 4th in the kids crew and definately the one he enjoyed the most. i think it has to do with him being a little older and not the other ones being bad!

They did all kinds of activities. they took them to 2 shows, they did face painting, they had free play, they brought in the wii, they did parades, etc etc.... the dawn also has a fantastic jungle gym that had big alure for my little monkey lol. he BEGGED to go each day.

the only real complaining i heard was from kids at the top end of the age range thinkign some of the activities were a bit too young for them. but i think that depends on how much your kids is interested in beign around other kids vs being with you lol ;-)

have a great time!

mstmp - he absolutely loved it. this is his 7th cruise (crazy i know but we love to travel!) and his 4th in the kids crew and definately the one he enjoyed the most. i think it has to do with him being a little older and not the other ones being bad!

They did all kinds of activities. they took them to 2 shows, they did face painting, they had free play, they brought in the wii, they did parades, etc etc.... the dawn also has a fantastic jungle gym that had big alure for my little monkey lol. he BEGGED to go each day.

the only real complaining i heard was from kids at the top end of the age range thinkign some of the activities were a bit too young for them. but i think that depends on how much your kids is interested in beign around other kids vs being with you lol ;-)

have a great time!

Thank you so much for responding, I do agree I think the older kids might get bored but the younger ones love it. He is currently in daycare so he is used to being away from us. And he will be with 2 of his cousins on of them only being 6 months older. So I think they will have a GREAT time. I can't believe he has been on 7 cruises - that is great! I am so excited to go, there are 21 of us 12 adults and 9 kids

yeah i think it depends on the kid. my son is in daycare too (i think that might have alot to do with it) and he just loves to be around other kids and running around playing. i saw lots of 5 year olds having a grand old time in the 3-5 age group (my son had a few friends that were 5), but if anyone was crying not to go in it was mostly the kids at the end of an age range.

we live to travel and it is totally the best easiest way to still bring your child and have a fabulous time. we get a little alone time alot of time with him and the crew absolutely caters to his needs :)

you'll have a great time!

Archived