MTD Tips

We have signed up for MTD on our upcoming FOS cruise. In looking through cc it seems that we may or may not always have the same wait staff, therefore how do you give out the tips on the last evening if you had different wait staff each night. Do we still receive vouchers for the wait staff or is this done differently with MTD.

Kristina

I know that we don’t have to do anything, but they usually provide vouchers and envelopes that you can put extra cash in if you desire to do so, so my question is do they still provide the vouchers for the wait staff if you are doing MTD and if so who does the envelope go to?

I am also interested in hearing how MTD works on Royal Caribbean. We did not have a good experience with a similar program on Princess.

In short, when we tried MTD on Princess we found that our party of 6 could not be accomodated during the times that we wanted to dine. Many times there was a :45 minute or more wait for a table. In addition, some of the dining rooms had smaller capacities which meant longer wait times. I think some of the problems what we had on Princess were because the ship that we were on was not designed to accomodate the number of guests taking advantange of the program.

We did sign up for MTD on the Enchantment this time only because one person in our party is diabetic and needs to eat during a given time of day. I would be interested to hear other cruisers experiences with MTD esp. if they used the program on the Enchantment.

I know that we don’t have to do anything, but they usually provide vouchers and envelopes that you can put extra cash in if you desire to do so, so my question is do they still provide the vouchers for the wait staff if you are doing MTD and if so who does the envelope go to?

Are u asking if you wanted to pay beyond the prepaid grats -that u were required to do for MTD ?

When we usually pre-pay our gratuities, on the last day they used to give us vouchers and envelopes to hand out to your wait staff and room attendant (maybe they don’t do this anymore), but if this is still the case whom would I give the vouchers for my wait staff to if I had different wait staff all week.

The MTD is done in a separate section of the dining room. The waiters who work in that area KNOW you are on MTD and the tips have been prepaid. They are not expecting an envelope the last night. If you would like to give something extra to one or more of the waitstaff you can do that also.

We have been charging our tips to our onboard account for years. Doing so for the MTD was no different. We received vouchers 24-48 hours before the final dinner. We had outstanding service in the DR and added an additional tip to the vouchers with a note. Although we ate at different times each night, we had the same waitstaff, so it was easy to distribute the envelopes.

The MTD is done in a separate section of the dining room. The waiters who work in that area KNOW you are on MTD and the tips have been prepaid. They are not expecting an envelope the last night. If you would like to give something extra to one or more of the waitstaff you can do that also.

Yep that's how I understand it.

I believe the OP is asking HOW to do the last part -grats for service beyond the norm when different wait staff is involved.

I would just add to put a note in the envelope & give it to the wait captain or MaitreD if you want to be sure it gets to the intended.

Tips for MTD are pooled, so if and to whom you hand those vouchers does not matter. Your prepaid tip will be shared. Now if you want to give something on top you should give it personally to the person you think it should go to. I don´t know if additional tips would be pooled as well or not.

Ok... so I think I get it. It is not really necessary to hand out the vouchers on the last evening as those tips are pooled, but if I wanted to tip anyone extra I could that on an individual basis. Thanks cc'ers!

Tips for MTD are pooled, so if and to whom you hand those vouchers does not matter. Your prepaid tip will be shared. Now if you want to give something on top you should give it personally to the person you think it should go to. I don´t know if additional tips would be pooled as well or not.

We talked to our waiter on Serenade and asked that question. He said the pre-paid tips are pooled, but add'l cash to a specific person is theirs to keep. We wanted to make sure they got to keep the extra we gave them since they were so wonderful to us all week. BTW - we had the same staff every night, in the same section, and even had the same table 3 nights out of the week.

On Monarch, we had different waiters, so just gave the envelope to the waiter we had on the last night. Since the tips are pooled, if doesn't matter if you give them out or not or who you give them to.

We have signed up for MTD on our upcoming FOS cruise. In looking through cc it seems that we may or may not always have the same wait staff, therefore how do you give out the tips on the last evening if you had different wait staff each night. Do we still receive vouchers for the wait staff or is this done differently with MTD.

Kristina

We've done MTD twice, once on the Jewel and once on the Radiance. You prepay your tips so you don't have to concern yourself with who gets them. You will receive vouchers showing you paid and you can hand them to the waitstaff you have on the last night. Actual distribution will be done by the cruiseline and is shared among the MTD waitstaff.

You are certainly free to give above and beyond to anyone you wish.

Jackie

Archived