Doge's Secret Iteineraries Tour

auducky2

We did this tour 3 years ago. Since it is reserved, it is a small group. The tour guide takes you to the upper level of the palace, not where the public usually goes. We saw the jail cell that held Casanova and took the walk across the Bridge of Sighs that he did on his way to jail. There were other hidden rooms that we saw too. All in all it was quite interesting. At the end of the tour the guide lets you off where the public tours the palace. You are free to do that part on your own, no extra admission.

I did it with my partner and five year old. We were all disappointed actually, although it's not geared up to children and we had real problems when he needed a wee....they weren't the least bit sympatheic and tried to say that once off the tour we couldn't be let back on again. E60's is alot for 15mins so we put up a fight and ended up with a private tour with a very sour host. Joining the next tour group along apparently not an option. They take it very seriously and questions are frowned on.

Anyway I digress. The tour does take you into some back rooms but they are very basic (wooden cabins) and don't have any artifacts in them apart from the odd table or chair. They must of spent at least 20 mins explaining mezzanine levels which they show you for no reason at all really.You do see Casanova's cell but as I say it has nothing in it and looks like it was built yesterday, completely pristine - no graffiti, bloodstains etc. Same with the torture chamber. We felt like we wasted an hour +. The rest of the Palace has beautiful art on every surface and the Bridge of Sighs and the prison beyond is very atmospheric. Unfortunately we had spent so long on the tour we had to rush through the rest.

If you are a real history buff maybe it's worth it but if you want a glimpse of something special I would spend longer in the rest of the Palace.

My experience was the positive one of cruisingrus, not of Maime. The examination chamber particularly was a highlight.

But, as Mamie so aptly states, this certainly not a tour geared at all to children.

One more point: you go to some very small rooms, so it could be beastly hot in the summer. (We were there in October.)

I think people enjoy this tour because things are explained to them. The fact is these things are interesting but the actual rooms are far from it. So what are you getting that the rest of the world doesn't see....not much. The torture room (sorry to spoil the surprise) is a couple of wooden cells on a mezzanine level (obviously) so they can look out on some poor soul hanging by arms from the middle of the room.Apparently the fear of torture works as well as actually torturing someone and the screams of the current victim would usually do the trick. Ventians liked the psychology of torture to being openly sadistic. There, thats the big secrect on the secret tour. Same as now really ....you do the tour because you want to see what others won't and fear what you may miss!. Most of the rest of the tour is about how the offices were run etc.

You do get the run of the Palace afterwards but we were amazed at how interesting these public rooms were compared to the tour ones.

I would also say that they make a big deal about the lead roof to some cells - freezing all winter, unbearable in summer so be warned if you do the tour in hot or cold weather (we did it on a warm sunny day but in Feb)

Again maybe worth it if you have time but room for room not that interesting.

Okay, now I'm confused......several recent posters suggested this as something their teens really enjoyed. But it's not kid friendly?

What would my teen find particularly interesting? This tour isn't something I was planning on doing until the suggestion turned up as something a teen would enjoy in Venice.

Okay, now I'm confused......several recent posters suggested this as something their teens really enjoyed. But it's not kid friendly?

What would my teen find particularly interesting? This tour isn't something I was planning on doing until the suggestion turned up as something a teen would enjoy in Venice.

Well, way too verbose for a five-year-old. If a teen has an interest in history, I think he/she would enjoy it a lot. I personally would not have taken my teens, particularly the one too squeamish and not very interested in history. There certainly is no art to see on this tour. Again, as in so many cases, it depends on the teen.

We thought it a fascinating look behind the scenes, and particularly enjoyed the Casanova references.

Francesco’s Venice is a series on DVD which is very good and tells you in very atmospheric ways about the gory history of Venice. I would suggest you watch a bit of this so your teens know what they are getting into.

Venice is a bit like a giant theme park... no one lives there now who isn't there for the tourists.

Do a gondelier ride as it's very slow and quiet and they will tell you about the history to every building you pass. Theres an island you can go to that still has human bones everywhere from the plague years ...poor people got thrown in the lagoon, rich people got buried on the Island. Once you know abit about the history you can do your own really interesting tour . The Bridge of Sighs and the dripping water torture..I hated that idea as a teen and it reducded me to tears without a tour guide in sight!!

The Secret tour might appeal to teens actually because they do go into detail...just don't expect too much if you want amazing sights. Really any tour where someone can tell you what you are looking at is good. Otherwise Venice does look abit like a scuffy and very expensive Disneyland

Francesco’s Venice is a series on DVD which is very good and tells you in very atmospheric ways about the gory history of Venice. I would suggest you watch a bit of this so your teens know what they are getting into.

Venice is a bit like a giant theme park... no one lives there now who isn't there for the tourists.

Do a gondelier ride as it's very slow and quiet and they will tell you about the history to every building you pass. Theres an island you can go to that still has human bones everywhere from the plague years ...poor people got thrown in the lagoon, rich people got buried on the Island. Once you know abit about the history you can do your own really interesting tour . The Bridge of Sighs and the dripping water torture..I hated that idea as a teen and it reducded me to tears without a tour guide in sight!!

The Secret tour might appeal to teens actually because they do go into detail...just don't expect too much if you want amazing sights. Really any tour where someone can tell you what you are looking at is good. Otherwise Venice does look abit like a scuffy and very expensive Disneyland

He's got a pretty good idea of the history of Venice. :cool: And I'm sure the torture aspect wouldn't faze him -- we've visited various dungeons and odd ghoulish spots like the Capuchin crypt in Rome. (Which I found oddly peaceful...)

Unless Venice has completely changed since my last visit, I can't agree with your last statement; to me, it's more like a painting come to life, not a theme park. Especially if one wanders away from the touristy areas a bit.

I really enjoyed this tour. The contrast between the public rooms and the private, working rooms is dramatic, and I think part of the impact of the tour.

I think a lot of it, like all tours of this kind, depends on the guide. Ours was very open to questions, obviously really enjoyed what she did, and was good at sharing the every-day life of the workers and the leaders.

Then again, I get museum'd out at times, and loved getting a slice of how Venice was run when it was one of the most important powers in the maritime world.

We took the tour last year and thought it was great. We had a small group and a very enthusiastic tour leader. The guide was Italian, but had studied in England so her English was excellent and she was quite dramatic when explaining things. She also was really knowledgeable and eager to answer questions. Our son (16 at the time) really enjoyed it. The Casanova room was very interesting. Maybe all guides are not equal, but ours was excellent. I would highly recommend the tour, but it certainly would not be for a 5 year old.

We took the tour last year and thought it was great. We had a small group and a very enthusiastic tour leader. The guide was Italian, but had studied in England so her English was excellent and she was quite dramatic when explaining things. She also was really knowledgeable and eager to answer questions. Our son (16 at the time) really enjoyed it. The Casanova room was very interesting. Maybe all guides are not equal, but ours was excellent. I would highly recommend the tour, but it certainly would not be for a 5 year old.

Thanks; I agree, there's a big difference between 5 and 18. Somehow I initially missed that the poster's child was so young.

Was in Venice last Sept. and had booked the Secret Int. Tour. But, we never made it to the tour! We were having so much fun walking the streets of Venice, that we decided to completely skip the tour. No regrets.

Archived