How many Euros for 12 day Trip....

AnthonyF

If hotels and all tours paid by credit card along with restaurants where possible, how much cash/traveler cheques does a family of 4 (two teens) need?

Right now I think we have $1,200-$1,400.... Is that enough?

I am lost....

If hotels and all tours paid by credit card along with restaurants where possible, how much cash/traveler cheques does a family of 4 (two teens) need?

I am lost....

We spent a month in France, Italy, Croatia, Greece and Spain last year and only brought enough Euros to get by on the first day. There are ATM's on every corner and in every country and we found it much more convenient than being loaded down with cash or travelers cheques.

It was nice to have a few Euros (20) on you so you could stop for a beverage or snack but really there was no need for a lot of money.

This year when we go back, we will have enough Euros to get us through the first few days. Probably a few hundred Euros, then we will take money out at the ATM's in each port. We are going to Egypt this year so I am bringing some Egyptian Pounds, but in the EU contries we will just use the ATM's.

I am lost....

I would get yourself an ATM card with a PIN tied to your checking account. Forget the traveler cheques. The ship will cash them for free, but the exchange rate to convert your dollars to euro onboard will be expensive. You might want to bring some for emergency use only.

ATM's are abundant in Europe, and there is no charge to use them as long as they are Bank ATM's. Some private ATM's might have a charge associated. Using Bank ATM's, the only charges/conversions will be those thru your local bank. Check with them to find out what the fees are. Some charge no user fees and no conversion fees.

Just get money as you need it for drinks, snacks, taxi's, post cards, and the like that you wouldn't normally pay with a credit card. Use your credit card for all the big stuff.

Good advice from both previous posters. I do exactly as they suggest.

When it comes to the PIN, make sure it only has 4 digits. Any more seem to cause issues in Europe. If you have more now, go to your bank and change it to 4.

we have to pay in cash --Euros for our limos to/from ship so that will add to our needs...& we also have a pre-cruise & post cruise stay that will need restaurants etc. So don't forget that if it applies.

We got in on a good exchange rate & will bring that with us..have not totalled what we will bring but your amt seems reasonable--you can get ATM money but amt you can w./draw is limited!

We got in on a good exchange rate & will bring that with us..have not totalled what we will bring but your amt seems reasonable--you can get ATM money but amt you can w./draw is limited!

Both my wife and I have separate ATM cards tied into the same checking account. Our bank has a $600 a day limit, or something close to that, so we can withdraw $1,200 a day. We only needed that much in order to pay cash for some accommodations.

Some ATM machines will only dispense a maximum of 200 or 250 Euros per transaction. If you need more, just put your card back into the machine and make another transaction. Oh, be sure to check with your bank for their transaction/conversion fees. Some charge, and some don't.

I'm not sure if you were asking about how much do you think you will spend or how much you should bring. As for how much to bring, I would reccomend NOT bringing that much cash as that is a lot to lose or have stolen.

As others have stated you can always go to an ATM. And having spent over 3 months in Europe (and a lot of time in other countries as well) I have found that your bank generally gives you the best conversion rate and the lowest fees (usually just a couple dollar out of network ATM fee).

If you were asking from a budget perspective, the sky is the limit. But $100 a day for 4 people seems pretty tight to be honest. Not sure where you are going but you could blow through a $100 on entrance fees to one museum for a family of four. Not to mention any little food items, souvenirs, taxis, subways, etc.

As mentioned, I spent a lot of time backpacking through Europe. I tried to stay around 40 Euro a day, just for myself. Keep in mind that if you are hitting the major cities, and spending the majority of time in tourist areas, things are more expensive. I live in Manhattan and I know where to go and where not to go as lots of places raise the prices for tourists.

Oh, and I wanted to mention I personally never found traveler checks useful. I'm sure they are great if you lose them, but I found that most merchants didn't really like them so I ended up bringing them back home with me anyway.

To clarify I will use credit cards where possible and pre-pay admissions & tours where possible. With all the pickpockets I read about I will carry little $'s with me......

I was wondering about restaurants and credit cards.....]

Thanks,

To clarify I will use credit cards where possible and pre-pay admissions & tours where possible. With all the pickpockets I read about I will carry little $'s with me......

Thanks,

Anthony, that's a great strategy. Most restaurants will take VISA and Mastercard. Just about the only time you will need cash for food would probably be street vendors -- coke, bottle of water, slice of pizza, gelato (yum), and the like. ATM's are all over the place. Just take out 100 or so Euros when you need it.

Concerning pickpockets, get yourself a money pouch that hangs around your neck to hold your valuables under your shirt, and just carry some pocket change. http://www.travelessentials.com/Eagle-Creek-Neck-Pouch.aspx Just be aware of your environment/crowds. I carry my bills on a money clip in my front pocket, and when around crowds, I keep my hand in my pocket.

Thanks,

I think the pickpocket issue is hugely overblown. As I stated I have spent months in Europe traveling with a lot of different people and I have met a lot of different people. I have never met anyone who has been pickpocketed.

I am not telling you to throw caution to the wind but I wouldn't worry about it much. As the other poster said, I too keep my money and credit cards in a money clip in my front pocket. If you don't notice someones hand in your front pocket, you have more problems then losing your money! :)

While the money belt would protect you from being pickpocketed, it wouldn't help you in a mugging as they know many tourists wear them.

Just keep your wits about you and you will be fine.

Archived