What time flight out of Newark on return?

warmwinds

We're cruising on Celebrity Summit next July to/from Bermuda - I called and they said they won't tell me "what time to not make a flight before" until 6 mos. out. Well, we want to use FF miles and want to be sure we get our tickets, so would like to book as soon as FF seats become available, in a few weeks. Anyone have any past experience (on any cruise line), that if the ship arrives at Bayonne at 7am (the current schedule), what time is "safe" to book a flight out of Newark?

I wouldn't book a flight before noon to 1 pm...although if the disembarkation goes smoothly you can make an earlier flight. The Bayonne cruise port is just a few minutes from EWR.

Personally, I don't want the anxiety of worrying whether I will make my flight, so I'd rather have to kill an hour in the airport (as bad as that is) rather than worring about delays in disembarkation, traffic jams, etc.

That's my problem - we can take a 12:38, and then nothing after that until 4:30.

The 12:38 should be fine....as long as the ship is on time and there is no other problem...

you are less than 20 minutes from the airport and by 10 or shortly thereafter everyone will be off the ship..arrange for a car service to meet you...

Instead of looking for a car service do they just have taxis lined up like at other ports? We also have priorty with Celebrity so we're usually in one of the first groups off. I didn't realize the airport was so close - that's great. Plus, it will be a Sunday so hopefully traffic won't be too bad.

But don't want to lose my question about taxis?

Instead of looking for a car service do they just have taxis lined up like at other ports? We also have priorty with Celebrity so we're usually in one of the first groups off. I didn't realize the airport was so close - that's great. Plus, it will be a Sunday so hopefully traffic won't be too bad.

But don't want to lose my question about taxis?

The story on taxi there is hit and miss sometimes there are plenty sometimes there are not. Its not like Manhattan where NYC has 11000 licensed cabs. Mostly the cabs and car services charge about the same....you are in a hurry- are afraid of missing a plane and yet you want to nickle and dime for the chance of a cab being there?

HOW did you come to the conclusion my motivation was nickel and dime???? It was because I've been in situations where booked car services DID NOT SHOW, or we wasted time looking for them...whereas if you just take a taxi one would hope they'd be lined up outside a cruise port. If they aren't it's the first port I've ever been to where that has not been the case.

Please don't insult people unless you know the facts.

Ahem. But since two of you have confirmed this hithertofore unknown to me situtation about the paucity of taxis at Port Liberty, I will arrange one (next year of course, so I'm not in a hurry right now :)

outside of Major cities cabs that you hail are almost unheard of. either you call or make pre-arrangements for them. Local car services in NJ will charge about $40 or slightly more for you to have a car reserved for you to pick you up. You talked about waiting for a cab to come and that you would be off early. I pointed out you are in a hurry spend the extra money for a car to be reserved. You took umbrage at that....If you noticed my posts in NYC I many times suggest a yellow cab(which you don't make a prearrangement for)...I know your situation you explained it. I suggested you make a prearrangement with a car service you instead ignored that for a "cab". I don't offer you an apology....

I don't expect taxis to be cruising the streets of New Jersey, but I certainly expect them to be at a cruise port. Apparently I'm wrong. I've had bad experiences (no shows) with both NY and NJ companies (we used to live in NJ and used Airbrook all the time - not sure they're even in business anymore, it was a while ago). I've had bad experiences with Carmel in New York - horrible, unsafe drivers. Not saying a taxi would be any better, but since I thought taxis would be readily available (I now know this is not true) I figured I'd take my chances than deal with a no-show.

I took umbrage only at the fact you thought my motivation was cost. I don't care if you apologize to me or not, but you did insult a perfect stranger for no reason. If you can't see that then it's your problem, not mine.

I don't expect taxis to be cruising the streets of New Jersey, but I certainly expect them to be at a cruise port. Apparently I'm wrong. I've had bad experiences (no shows) with both NY and NJ companies (we used to live in NJ and used Airbrook all the time - not sure they're even in business anymore, it was a while ago). I've had bad experiences with Carmel in New York - horrible, unsafe drivers. Not saying a taxi would be any better, but since I thought taxis would be readily available (I now know this is not true) I figured I'd take my chances than deal with a no-show.

I took umbrage only at the fact you thought my motivation was cost. I don't care if you apologize to me or not, but you did insult a perfect stranger for no reason. If you can't see that then it's your problem, not mine.

car services tend to be more reliable in NJ. I haven't attack you. I just said don't nickle and dime it. Its you who took umbrage to that and responded as well....

Please give me the names of some reliable car services in New Jersey - we'll need one to go from EWR to Manhattan, then from Manhattan to Cape liberty (would I have to get a NY company to do that?), then from Cape Liberty back to EWR. Really, this whole argument was silly. I really would like to know your recommendations. Thanks.

Oh, and I think the cruise transfers usually take longer since they wait for the bus to fill up, load all the bags...I'd rather lock and load.

anytime after 1pm should work out fine..

take your time, have breakfast, hideout till they

throw you off..:D

Sorry, but this really annoys me. The OP has already said their preferred flight leaves at 12:38, and a couple of us who actually live in the area, cruise from Bayonne, and know how far the port is from the airport have confirmed 12:38 should not be a problem. There were not that many posts on the thread before you joined in. Please read the thread before posting so you don't give a conflicting and not particularly correct or relevant answer.

Please give me the names of some reliable car services in New Jersey - we'll need one to go from EWR to Manhattan, then from Manhattan to Cape liberty (would I have to get a NY company to do that?), then from Cape Liberty back to EWR. Really, this whole argument was silly. I really would like to know your recommendations. Thanks.

Oh, and I think the cruise transfers usually take longer since they wait for the bus to fill up, load all the bags...I'd rather lock and load.

My preferred service is Concorde Limousine, 732-577-0023. Although they are based in central NJ (Freehold), a couple of years ago they bought a company based in the Bayonne area to give them more cars, drivers and coverage in that area of the state.

I have used them for years and they have never missed a pick up. They can be a bit on the pricey side, and I'm also not sure if they really want to do a short run like Cape Liberty to EWR, but call them and ask. Otherwise , hopefully one of the local residents who post here will jump in with a name.

almost any one will do the EWR to Manhattan. The airport cabs there are about the cheapest and most reliable for a car. Manhattan to Cape Liberty is tough because they rip you off for this. Try Arecibo and see what they charge(7187836465). I would also try the one that NJHorseman recommends. Finally back to the airport try http://jerseyonelimo.com/ they are located in Bayonne and these as well

http://www.bayonnenj.org/taxi.htm

all the Jersey ones tend to be expensive-more expensive than the NY ones fors the same mileage trip.

and good luck! really

Thanks so much! I've been in a position before where I've had to take a regular taxi from Manhattan to EWR, it was just meter plus tolls both ways. Would that be the same to Cape Liberty? I can't see why not - since they aren't allowed to pick up at EWR they probably wouldn't be allowed to pick up there, either.

Anyway, this is way too premature to be worrying about that aspect, I really just wanted to know about the flight times because of the FF mileage tickets issue.

I really do appreciate all the kind answers.

Thanks so much! I've been in a position before where I've had to take a regular taxi from Manhattan to EWR, it was just meter plus tolls both ways. Would that be the same to Cape Liberty? I can't see why not - since they aren't allowed to pick up at EWR they probably wouldn't be allowed to pick up there, either.

Anyway, this is way too premature to be worrying about that aspect, I really just wanted to know about the flight times because of the FF mileage tickets issue.

I really do appreciate all the kind answers.

No New York rules require a cab to take you to EWR for the Meter plus $15.00 and round trip tolls but they are NOT required to take you anywhere else in NJ and if they do they can name their own price and its normally a rip off $100.00 to the Bayonne Cruise terminal

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml

anytime after 1pm should work out fine..

take your time, have breakfast, hideout till they

throw you off..:D

Will be taking a cruise out of Bayonne in Oct. What do you think about an 11am flight if I use the Express Walk-off to get off the ship as early as possible. I have read the ususal time off starts at 8:30.

DO you think I am taking too much of a chance for that 11am flight out of EWR?

Thanks

Will be taking a cruise out of Bayonne in Oct. What do you think about an 11am flight if I use the Express Walk-off to get off the ship as early as possible. I have read the ususal time off starts at 8:30.

DO you think I am taking too much of a chance for that 11am flight out of EWR?

Thanks

You already asked this question on another thread, and I already answered it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=20649982#post20649982

We are on the Explorer on Oct. 1. We arrive at Newark at 1:18. Is this going to give us enough time to get to the ship. Cruise leaves at 5:00 but we need to be there 90 minutes before.

Its about 1/2 hour to the cruise terminal by cab. It normally takes half and hour before you luggage gets out. So as long as you are on time you will be ok not fine ok...personally it cuts it too close for me given the delays at NY airports....

We are on the Explorer on Oct. 1. We arrive at Newark at 1:18. Is this going to give us enough time to get to the ship. Cruise leaves at 5:00 but we need to be there 90 minutes before.

as long as your flight isn't late........or cancelled.:eek:

that gives you 2 hours...SHOULD be OK...the airport is only about 15 minutes or so away, BUT there is construction...and there's always traffic.

personally i wouldn't cut it that close (but i would most likely never fly into a port the day a cruise were to sail)

Archived