Taxi from Termini to hotel?

tjljsc

The reviews on our hotel, Apollo, state that it's about a 15 min walk from Termini to the hotel. As we will be arriving from the airport, with luggage, and in Rome for the first time, I was thinking a cab to our hotel might be easier than walking. Do they have a taxi line at Termini? Any clue as to cost? The hotel is just a few blocks from the Colosseum.

Thanks!

If I'm not mistaken, there is a taxi line at both ends of the station (although I've only used one side). When you get off the Termini train, you'll still have a bit of a walk but I think there are signs.

It's hard to judge what the actual rate would be, as it depends on luggage (there is a surcharge per bag) as well as distance -- and the distance can vary due to one-way streets, and those closed to vehicular traffic. From what you say, however, the charge for the distance shouldn't be more than 10 to 15 euro (at most), plus luggage.

Also, if you are arriving before 7am or after 11pm, different rates apply.

Here's a link to some other things to be aware of when getting a taxi (particularly the part about the correct meter rate):

http://reallyrome.com/blog/2007/11/15/how-to-take-a-taxi-in-rome-and-not-get-ripped-off/

Cynthia, there indeed is a taxi line at both ends of this very large station. To Colisseum area definitely should be 10 Euros max,in my opinion, which is rather dated because we used our Roma Pass for transportation or our legs exclusively for our five days in Rome last month. We only took a taxi to the airport, which is a set rate by law of 40 Euros.

With two people, you'd be better off taking the 40 Euro (set fare) cab from the airport. If you're coming from North America, you'll be coming off an overnight flight. I love the train and use it often when arriving in Rome, but I've been there more than a dozen times and even I don't use it when I have a lot of luggage.

Keep in mind, the train station at FCO is a bit of a walk ... with your luggage. It's several steps up into the train, which is usually quite crowded in the morning, and there's no place to stow luggage so you and everyone else will pile it on seats. In other words, you might well wind up standing all the way (30 minutes) to Termini.

When you arrive at Termini, the track (binario) that the Leonardo Express uses is two full blocks away from the main part of the station, so you'll have to get your luggage back down the steps from the train and pull/carry it a couple of blocks before getting to the taxi stand in front of the main part of the station.

I've done this - the worst time with two elderly ladies and their luggage - and it's not worth it. You will have paid 22 Euro for two train tickets, then another 10 for the taxi. At that point, the 40 Euro with no schlepping will look like a bargain.

I have been to Rome several times. The first time I took the Leonardo Express, thinking it was the same as the Heathrow Express in London. Not even close. The train is packed and moves slow. Since then, I have arranged a ride from the airport to the hotel. Not much more, but simpler and quicker.

Hmm... I'm not sure what the best option is. We're packing light due to luggage fees (one backpack and one rolling carry-on each) on our post-cruise short-haul flight to London. Our hotel is a 15 min walk according to google maps. But... it looks like a solid 12-15 blocks... which seems quite a ways to schlep luggage.

Maybe I should just give in and pay for the airport taxi. This trip is just nickle and diming us to death, so I'm trying to save where we can. I'd hate to spend $$ on unnecessary transport costs and have to cut our actual entertainment budget for the trip.

If you're used to schlepping your luggage, and you're not overpacking, the Leonardo Express really isn't that bad. I think some posters are giving you the worst-case scenario. I did it in November with a 24" roller suitcase and a small carry-on that you can hook to the bigger bag. The path to the train from FCO was not bad. The walk from Termini to the taxi stand was not short, but it was level and pretty easy to negotiate with my luggage.

The car I was in had an area for luggage storage. I was able to sit very close to it, so I didn't feel at all nervous about it. No one had to stand.

That said, it's really not a huge difference between paying 22 euro (for two) plus 12 euro for taxi (estimated), versus paying $40 for a cab direct from the airport. I am often solo, so for me taking the train is a better deal.

Like Cynthia (CruiseMom42), I often travel alone and almost always use the train when I do. However, I'm usually going to Trastevere so I can avoid the Leonardo Express and take the local train for half the price. When I'm with others, I've learned the hard way that the most direct route is better.

I can't urge you enough to spend the extra few Euro on the cab directly from the airport in this case. Perhaps I'm describing the worst case, as Cynthia says, but it can easily turn out that way and start off your vacation on a very sour note. Why risk it?

Also, 12 - 15 blocks from Termini is not what I would call "near" the train station. Depending on which direction you're going, you could encounter some pretty steep hills (remember, Rome is the city of the seven hills, which are now more like nine as the city has grown).

My best guess, given what you've said, it that your hotel is somewhere down Via Cavour or Via ****onale, or along the Veneto-Bissolaati-Orlando corridor. All three are heavy with traffic, the later is particularly hard to walk. Going down Via Cavour or Via ****onale is easier as they are downhill.

[Note - the editing system won't allow the name of the street in Rome to be printed because the first four letters are the same as the name for the German party in power during WWII]

Archived