Opinions Wanted: 9 Days Too Much For a 14 Month Old?

kicker

Our granddaughter will be 14 months old next June when we're looking at a 9 day cruise on Enchantment OTS (Norfolk works as a port for us). We could also do the 5 day as an alternative - the 9 day is much more attractive.

For anyone who's traveled with an infant before: what's your opinion? Do you think a 9 day is too long? It would be parents, 2 grandparents and aunt to help out, so it wouldn't be just 2 people having to care for her. Last year we cruised with a one year old who made our dinners an absolute delight, though I realize not everyone has the same opinion of young travelers.

All comments positive or negative will be appreciated. Thanks.

Don’t think there is any problem with the infant as she will not really care where she is; the real issue is with the parents and other family members who must CONSTANTLY care for the infant. At home, when she is napping, and you can walk around the house. On a ship you are tied to the cabin. That could get “old” after a few days. The cabin will be loaded with baby items so do be sure to get a comfortable space.

I see many families traveling with babies and wonder how they do it.

If this is something that the family really wants, then go for it, understanding that there may always be a family member who may miss dinner, a show, an excursion to care for the infant.

We waited till our( now grown) children were 6 and 11 to cruise.

Please try the family board as there is great info over there.

M

Not at all, we took our son on a 14 day cruise to Europe before, he was a year and a half and did great. Just be aware that they do need to take their naps, either on a stroller or in the cabin. We always try to keep his regular routine wherever we go with him. A happy baby, makes a happy mom. If the baby is miserable, you WILL be miserable, so just know that you will be somewhat limited. Other than, you will have a great trip, go for it!!

4 years ago, we took our grandson who had just turned 2. Besides grandparents and parents, we also had an aunt. It worked wonderfully! The only glitch was the fact that we had to pay full airfare for him, although he was only 2 years and 3 days old. I think a 9 or 11 day cruise would be too much, though.

I think it also depends on the baby. My kids are older now, but I wouldn't have tried this with my first daughter as she was miserable if she got too far off schedule or was over stimulated. Also, she prefered her familiar surroundings, and did not sleep in a stroller. My second daughter would have been able to handle this, and would catch up on her sleep in a stroller. She would be friendly and excited. So, I think you have to know your baby and what works for them.

As an FYI...you can now pre-order diapers and wipes and they will be delivered to your cabin upon arrival. Might not be the most economical way to do it, but sure would be more convenient than bringing a whole extra suitcase full of diapers. Baby food can be pre-ordered too.

My main concern would be the itinerary. Are you going to be "out at sea" for a couple of days at a time? I'd worry about getting quick medical care if something were to happen to the toddler. Children are so susceptible to everything! If the toddler were to get ill near a port...are the hospitals at these ports as good about quality care as the hospitals stateside?

Other than the above issues, I think it's great that you want to spend quality time with your family. :)

Lots of good advice, pro and con. And CruisinManiac: you're right about babies, or anyone with a medical condition. The 9 day would be 2 sea days at the beginning and end of the cruise. I know, when our own kids were younger, we always made sure we knew where the nearest hospital was anytime we traveled. We already reserved the 9 day (wanted to make sure we could get adjoining cabins), but we haven't totally decided yet. Lots of things to think about, so thanks again, everyone.

I am sure that everything will be fine and you will have a wonderful trip, but...

The main reason I mentioned about the baby getting ill (over anyone else), is that the ships infirmaries are not equipped to care for emergencies involving children. Yes, they have band-aides, etc.., but they don't have the diagnostic equipment and or any life saving machines that fit a small child. When you are at sea for two days, that means you are far away from land. I assume that you are purchasing travel insurance?

We have done many cruises with our now 5 year old. Her first cruise she was 14 months old and it was a 7 nighter. A good amount of time. Her second cruise she was a smidge over 2 and that was a 12 nighter. Both were fine. Like someone said before it depends on the child. She didn't nap to much in her stroller but after we did what we did during the day she would nap from about 4 or 5 until around 7:30 or so and then we we go to 8:30 dinner. We are now going on a 10 night in October with her and our younger DD who will be just about 14 months at the time. She will take her naps in the stroller around her normal nap time but she won't be able to handle late dining so we are opting for My Time Dining this time around. Me personally a 9 nighter would be fine. Oh, my parents and FIL will be joining us for this cruise as well.

Our granddaughter will be 14 months old next June when we're looking at a 9 day cruise on Enchantment OTS (Norfolk works as a port for us). We could also do the 5 day as an alternative - the 9 day is much more attractive.

For anyone who's traveled with an infant before: what's your opinion? Do you think a 9 day is too long? It would be parents, 2 grandparents and aunt to help out, so it wouldn't be just 2 people having to care for her. Last year we cruised with a one year old who made our dinners an absolute delight, though I realize not everyone has the same opinion of young travelers.

All comments positive or negative will be appreciated. Thanks.

My 5 year old started traveling at 3 months. Before she turned 2 she was on a cruise, flight to rome, flight to Hawaii, and trips to mexico and canada. She has more stamps in her passport than most adults. Kids are very flexible if the adults around them are flexible. Some nights you will make it all the way through dinner with no problem and some nights someone is going to be eating in the wind jammer then going to the baby pool. I say go for it. Make the kid diamond before she turns 5!

Thanks again to all. I never go on a cruise without travel insurance. As I mentioned, its not til next June, so we've got a lot of time to prepare, and at 14 months, who knows how much she'll be walking, etc.. By the way, she's already very advanced for her age (3 months)! Yeah, I'm not a bragging Grandpa or anything....

For someone who has been there and done that twice with less then 2 year olds I will say it will more too much for you then for the 14 mo. old. Your daughter will not remember a thing unless you show photos as she grows up. She will have no recall of that cruise. So because it's really your cruise to remember I would do the shorter one for now and longer one later. Baby's can get sick when away from home surroundings more easily. A sick baby at sea.... not a pretty picture for you. Even with the extra help on board why cause extra misery on them? They need to enjoy the cruise too. While today's mega family ships are better equiped to handle little ones because of that age not being able to enjoy it why bother. Go for the shorter one you'll be glad you did.

The good thing about cruising along the East Coast is that you are never really that far out to sea. So, the two sea days put you within fairly easy access to mainland medical help if needed. (I've cruised out of Charleston and have watched 2 medical transports - both by boat because the ship was quickly able to get near enough to the coast. One time was the Captain! :eek:)

It looks like the EoS is very kid friendly with the splash deck and all. The ad pics show several little ones playing about in the water streams.

No matter which you decide on, you might want to check with her pediatrician prior to sailing. The doc might prescribe some meds to take along in case...you know meds to take at the first sign of stomach bug/upset, H1N1, swimmers ear, etc. Of course, you'd still want to visit the ship's doc in the event of the little one having any problems.

My parents started taking me on trips when I was a little one, too. It was great and I cherish the pictures of those vacations. Even if I don't remember it all myself, the pictures are priceless. And, it made me learn to be a good traveler from the get-go! :)

Enjoy whichever option you decide upon! You'll definitely not regret the family memories.

I think with your concern and asking the question you are headed in the correct direction.

You have received excellent advice thus far. I think the main area of concerns will be the limit of freedom when the baby needs to rest. Of course with 5 adults that should work will. Also I would check with the doctor and see what they say and what they suggest you take in case if the baby gets ill. Another thing would be to get good travel insurance. This way if indeed something happens you will be covered.

I would not have even thought of taking my babies cruising but that does not mean you should not. I see from others that not only is it done it is done with a good outcome.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Archived