How bad is Med in Aug?

sciencemom45

HI,

We are planning a med cruise for next summer. We would prefer to go July but other family members need to go in August due to work, etc in July. We have been warned not to travel in Med in Aug because it is too hot, too crowed, etc. Anyone have any thoughts? Is there really that big a difference beteen early July and mid August?

Thanks

HI,

We are planning a med cruise for next summer. We would prefer to go July but other family members need to go in August due to work, etc in July. We have been warned not to travel in Med in Aug because it is too hot, too crowed, etc. Anyone have any thoughts? Is there really that big a difference beteen early July and mid August?

Thanks

Big different!!

Hot-> July: hot to very hot - Aug.: very hot

Crowed-> July: not to much - Aug.: very much

Winds-> July: calm - Aug.: very bad for some islands (Mykonos, Santorini)

Prices-> July: normal (until 15th-20th) - Aug.: a bid higher

Fafos refers to the melteme (sp?) winds, which really affect your ability to tender at some of the Greek islands from late July through September (or October?). We missed Delos/Mykonos last September due to rough seas and returned in early June, when the sea was smooth as glass.

HI,

Thanks

Some say hot and unbearable, others say hot and crowded. We went last two weeks of August, yes its hot and can be crowded, but we still had a wonderful time. If its the only time that works I'd still go, its better then not going at all. If you do private tours you can avoid long walks and always have the AC of the van closeby to take you to your next place. Some places you do have to walk and a hat/umbrella are a good thing.

Happy planning

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from Celebrity Solstice's Eastern Med Cruise (8/7-17). I was expecting it to be unbearably hot but was pleasantly surprised by the weather. It was in the mid 80s most days, low 80s in Santorini and Mykonos. It was breezy most days. Several local people commented on how nice the weather was so I guess we just lucked out. We were also lucky in terms of crowds. In most ports we were the only large ship so the crowds were manageable.

We just returned from an eastern Med cruise in early August. Yes, it was hot -- probably in the 90's every day -- but no hotter than where I live in suburban Washington DC. In fact, while I was gone the temperature at home was higher than it was in our ports.

The challenge with the Med in August is not just the weather although yes it is hotter and more humid in August than in July although it is hot then as well. The other challenge is that this is the month when many in Europe vacation as well so it is very crowded in most of the ports of call.

Keith

HI,

Thanks

Yes Greece in August can be unbearably hot but I don't think there is a tremendous difference between the two months. Of course it can vary you may luck out and get weather in the 80s other times it may get to an unbearable level it all depends.

Yes, it was hot but Athens was fabulous and not hot as we expected, our guide told us that it was the coolest day in 2 months. The worst was Rome where I thought I would melt in the ruins- we were soaked everyday that we were out touring, even in the morning. The restaurants were closed in Rome for the holidays (8/16-8/21). It was the end of our trip and I was VERY ready to come home to NC and REAL a/c. I agree with the cruiser that said get a personal guide/driver. We had "George the taxi driver" and I can't say enough about him- for around 250 Euros we had a really full day seeing everything. He can't go into the sights with you but that's OK, that is what guidebooks are for! He gave us the history and background as we drove between sights. It was so great to not have to worry about driving or catching metros. If I go back to a med cruise it will be in the Fall. I really think the water will still be warm but it won't be so beastly. I think their were less crowds in some areas becuase of the break for holidays, ie the Vatican.

HI,

Thanks

Both July and August in the Med are very hot and even worse very crowded. That said I would rather go then than not at all and we have just returned from such a trip as it had to be in school holidays. Given the choice I would prefer to travel in late May/early June for Med cruises but not everyone has that option.

Yes, the Mediterranean is VERY HOOOOOOOOOT.

I'm from Barcelona (Spain), and here we are in 30ºC as in July as on August. But this is not the warmer part from the Med. In Grece or Turkey they usually arrive to 50ºC in summer. The best months to come here to do a cruise are May-June. But I alwaus travel on Agust (cause my parents work) and I'm well everywhere I go (sometimes I feel I'm becoming liquid... just joking:p). Last year I arrived to 59ºC in Turkey, and here I am.

Yes, the Mediterranean is VERY HOOOOOOOOOT.

I'm from Barcelona (Spain), and here we are in 30ºC as in July as on August. But this is not the warmer part from the Med. In Grece or Turkey they usually arrive to 50ºC in summer. The best months to come here to do a cruise are May-June. But I alwaus travel on Agust (cause my parents work) and I'm well everywhere I go (sometimes I feel I'm becoming liquid... just joking:p). Last year I arrived to 59ºC in Turkey, and here I am.

Welcome to the cruisecritic boards! We will be visiting Barcelona for the first time in mid-May 2010 and look forward to our three days there very much.

We were there last week. Rome was the worst - very hot and humid. I thought our other ports (Messina, Athens, Kusadasi and Crete) would be worse, but they were not as humid so they were actually not bad, especially early in the morning.

HI,

Thanks

We cruised from July 27 to Aug. 8 this year, and it was hot (temperatures in the 90s every day, though at some ports there was a cooling breeze). It was also very crowded. Since many Europeans take the month of August off, it might be a bit less crowded in July.

We just returned from Celebrity Solstice's Eastern Med Cruise (8/7-17). I was expecting it to be unbearably hot but was pleasantly surprised by the weather. It was in the mid 80s most days, low 80s in Santorini and Mykonos. It was breezy most days. Several local people commented on how nice the weather was so I guess we just lucked out. We were also lucky in terms of crowds. In most ports we were the only large ship so the crowds were manageable.

We were there in mid to late August and experienced the same weather and crowds. Our only really crowded port was Kusadasi. There were five ships in port that day and Ephesus was terribly crowded and hot. But that is the only port where the crowds and heat had an effect on our experience. I guess be prepared for anything and go with the expectation that it will be hot and crowded. You won't be disappointed if it is and anything else will be a pleasant surprise!

Archived