Does anyone here prefer an inside room?

scrapulous

Hubby thinks a window isn't necessary, since we're not planning to be in the room except to sleep and shower, and he'd rather save the extra money for drinks. Are the inside rooms usually smaller, or is the only difference the lack of a window?

Typically inside cabins are smaller than any other. That said, Holland America has some of the biggest insides of any. With the exception of the Prinsendam most insides are around 180 sq. ft. or more, which for us is just fine. We find we sleep better with an inside because it is so dark and we don't get woke up by the sun shining into our room:D.

We prefer them and always book them.

Cheers,

Hubby thinks a window isn't necessary, since we're not planning to be in the room except to sleep and shower, and he'd rather save the extra money for drinks. Are the inside rooms usually smaller, or is the only difference the lack of a window?

Inside staterooms on some ships are smaller by significant sq. footage, especially on older ships, but very close to the same on newer vessels. But it really depends on the ship you are considering. And sometimes the price difference is not that large when spread out over the length of the cruise when looking at a cost per day per person.

Inside stateroom is DARK.....and if you like to sleep... these are the staterooms for you as they have -0- natural light ! Personally I prefer the natural light and something to look out at when awakening, or possible storms at night and lightning to view, etc....

It's all a personal preference and I hope you find the stateroom accommodations that meet your needs.

It depends on the ship! On Carnival, all of the rooms are about the same size, on most ships! On RCI, the inside cabins are much smaller, especially on the older ships.

Always check the deck plans for your ship before you select a cabin.

Personally, I would NEVER sail in an inside...however, my mom thinks like your husband--why spend the extra for a place to sleep?

Personal preference is the key to this choice!

I'm another one of those folks who really NEEDS some natural sunlight coming through. I would be happy with an obstructed view (lifeboat in my view) so long as SOME light was coming through. I thought I was alone in my need, until I was talking about my husband about arrangements for a cruise we're planning, and he told me how he really wanted "at least a window, unobstructed", for our next cruise.. :)

I prefer the price of an inside cabin. I like to cruise more often, rather than pay for an OV or balcony for a solo. But I have a cove balcony on my upcoming Dream cruise, because it was the same price as interior, and less than OV at the time I booked. EM

We've only cruised twice. Both times we chose an outside room with a view. We have passed by inside rooms while the attendant was cleaning and I have to say I don't think I'd like an inside room. The only lights come from the lamps, they did look small and room layouts looked cramped. But then again it depends on the ship you're on. Some lines may have different layouts.

As noted below, the inside rooms are DARK with no light except for the lamps. They do have a bow camera that is broadcast on the TV so that you can see "outside". The rooms tend to be smaller.

On the voyager/freedom class RCI ships, the inside cabins on deck 6 through 8 in the center part of the ship have windows that look out onto the inside promenade. The promenade is designed to look like a typical old street scene and they have activities such as parades frequently. There also is light from the overhead skylights so the rooms are not that dark. However you cannot look out over the ocean and the rooms across from you can see in your window as well as the pax on the promenade below.

I always get a balcony because I not only like looking out but also experiencing the ocean breezes. As a result I do spend some time in my stateroom relaxing. I do love to have room service for breakfast on my balcony while dressed casually. They always call first which gives me time to hop out of bed and put on some clothes. It is almost breakfast served in bed!

Hi, I have been on 20+ cruises and my first cruise was an inside stateroom. That was the first and last time I did an inside stateroom. Since then I have done oceanview, balcony and suites. For the money, I didn't think a suite was worth it. However, for the difference in cost between the inside stateroom and the oceanview---Please do not do an inside stateroom!!!! And honestly, when you look at the difference in cost between the oceanview and balcony - it's worth booking the balcony.

Hope this helps you!!

Not that we're veteran cruisers or anything, but my DH and I both agree that the cost savings for an inside cabin far outweighs any benefits of an oceanview or balcony. But that's just us. :o

I don't know about the accuracy of that blanket statement, as of lately, there have been some great promos out their on a few cruiselines where an oceanview could be had for an inside rate or slightly more !

I actually like inside cabins. I like that they are dark, so its perfect for sleeping. I usually get one closer to the top of the ship so its easier for me to get outside in the morning with my coffee. I'm also not in my cabin very often, so I don't think I'd get much use out of a balcony. The only time I would ever get an ocean view would be if it was cheaper than an inside.

Well that depends on your ship. Our recent Cunard ship ( QV ) had similar sized staterooms wherever you were located. We had a balcony cabin, but others on our table were very happy indeed with inside cabins. The lighting is first class, there is full climate control, and the money they saved paid for all of their on board bills and more than a few excursions. the outside view staterooms often have limited views, btw, as thats where the lifeboat/tenders hang.

I actually like inside cabins. I like that they are dark, so its perfect for sleeping. I usually get one closer to the top of the ship so its easier for me to get outside in the morning with my coffee. I'm also not in my cabin very often, so I don't think I'd get much use out of a balcony. The only time I would ever get an ocean view would be if it was cheaper than an inside.
Your not in your cabin because its an inside room.

Well that depends on your ship. Our recent Cunard ship ( QV ) had similar sized staterooms wherever you were located. We had a balcony cabin, but others on our table were very happy indeed with inside cabins. The lighting is first class, there is full climate control, and the money they saved paid for all of their on board bills and more than a few excursions. the outside view staterooms often have limited views, btw, as thats where the lifeboat/tenders hang.

Your statement is not really accurate.... On MOST mainstream cruiselines i.e. CCL, RCL, Celebrity, HAL, Costa, Princess and a few others, there are MANY oceanview staterooms w/out ANY obstructions.....;)

Your not in your cabin because its an inside room.

Not so. I had a balcony on my last cruise and I was in my room the same amount as when I get an inside room. Its a matter of preference. I prefer to be out on the public decks and areas, while others prefer to be on their balcony. ( I should have re-worded my original reply to state the fact that I HAVE had a balcony before, but I wouldn't do it again because the added cost would not be worth it. )

Do I prefer a inside cabin?? Is this a trick question??? All things being equal, if it didnt cost extra, Id never book a inside .... wait, as a matter of fact I usually book a cabin so I can see the ocean at least. I dont really like waking up in the dark and not knowing if the sun is up.

I got a promenade cabin on RCL last time and liked it to see parades .... but missed seeing the ocean too. I felt cut off.

Usually an interior is cheaper and as it gets closer to sailing sometimes prices will drop. I just caught a d2 price drop which is close to the price of an interior so moving on up. i usually take an interior and on Royal Caribbean have never had a problem with size. In fact, while it's nice to have a balcony on a warm weather trip I really like having no outside light to sleep by and that's about the only time I'm in the cabin. There are benefits to each cabin and it depends on what you are willing to pay for what.

If I were traveling alone, I would probably get an inside (and save money for other activities on the cruise). The dark does not bother me. But DH HAS to have some natural light. ( WE tried an inside once and decided not to do that again - Though the insides are very economical) Last cruise we got an obstructed ocean view cabin (Lifeboat outside window) - same price as inside but we still got natural light minus the view.

It depends on the ship! On Carnival, all of the rooms are about the same size, on most ships! On RCI, the inside cabins are much smaller, especially on the older ships.

Always check the deck plans for your ship before you select a cabin.

Personally, I would NEVER sail in an inside...however, my mom thinks like your husband--why spend the extra for a place to sleep?

Personal preference is the key to this choice!

Actually on Triumph and up sizes, inside cabins are 185 s.f. and OVs are 220 s.f. might be more ships that have larger OVs than those that dont.

When people generalize that ALL Carnival cabins are larger than RCL's and never mention that RCL balconies are bigger on newer ships, I object too.

.... just noting the exceptions. We love those 220 s.f. OVs. I just upgraded to one this week and happy to have the larger cabin.

As noted below, the inside rooms are DARK with no light except for the lamps. They do have a bow camera that is broadcast on the TV so that you can see "outside". The rooms tend to be smaller.

On the voyager/freedom class RCI ships, the inside cabins on deck 6 through 8 in the center part of the ship have windows that look out onto the inside promenade. The promenade is designed to look like a typical old street scene and they have activities such as parades frequently. There also is light from the overhead skylights so the rooms are not that dark. However you cannot look out over the ocean and the rooms across from you can see in your window as well as the pax on the promenade below.

I always get a balcony because I not only like looking out but also experiencing the ocean breezes. As a result I do spend some time in my stateroom relaxing. I do love to have room service for breakfast on my balcony while dressed casually. They always call first which gives me time to hop out of bed and put on some clothes. It is almost breakfast served in bed!

I'm with you. If there are balconies on a ship I want one, and for the same reasons.

We have done all three (inside/OV/balcony) in our prior cruise experiences.

For me, it’s a value proposition in picking the types of cabin. Depending on the cruise line/itinerary/season, there is a huge price gap in going from an inside view to an OV or balcony.

We are going on an Alaska cruise in 4 days and for Alaska many people consider balcony a “must” and therefore place a high price premium on it. For example, in Alaska for June 2010 sailing, some cruise lines are $100 more per person to upgrade from inside to OV, but $700 more per person to go from inside to balcony. Multiply that by 2, you have to ask yourself if it’s worth $1,400 to do this upgrade. Whereas in Mexico or Caribbean, the upgrade price isn’t nearly as steep to obtain a non-inside cabin.

If you are cruising in the northern waters in the summer time like Alaska, sunset isn’t until after 10:30 PM and sunrises around 4 AM, so if you are bothered by the lights peeking through the curtains, an inside cabin might work better for you.

Another issue about inside cabin is that if you are prone to motion sickness, it’s doubly bad in a dark enclosed cabin when the ship is rocking sideways. Many people suggest to look at the far horizon during this period, but you can’t do that if you are in an inside cabin.

Archived