Register with US Embassy

Born4Travlin

I thought I would post this URL for anyone who is interested and is as nervous as I am about surrendering my passport to the Cruise Line for International Travel. In speaking with the US Embassy, they encouraged me to register on line which ports I would be visiting in case of an emergency, lost or stolen passport, or any unforeseen problems that might arise while ashore/abroad. They also warn against surrendering your passport at Oversees Hotels, which may ask for them.

I thought it was a great idea so I am passing it along. There are good contact numbers as well under "Conact Us".

https://travelregistration.state.gov

They also warn against surrendering your passport at Oversees Hotels, which may ask for them.
Interesting...

In all of our European trips we have always turned our passports over and have never had a problem. They've usually been returned within a few hours.

On our last Med cruise, the only time the cruise line needed to hold our passports was when we were in Turkey. They were returned the evening we left the last Turkish port.

I have always been under the impression that turning passports over was more than just a custom. I though it was a law of the country we were in. Is that not the case? Can we refuse to turn them over?

Lew

Interesting...

In all of our European trips we have always turned our passports over and have never had a problem. They've usually been returned within a few hours.

On our last Med cruise, the only time the cruise line needed to hold our passports was when we were in Turkey. They were returned the evening we left the last Turkish port.

I have always been under the impression that turning passports over was more than just a custom. I though it was a law of the country we were in. Is that not the case? Can we refuse to turn them over?

Lew

You cannot refuse to turn them over to the Cruise Line as they have the right to refuse you passage, but the U.S. Embassy strongly suggested not turning it over at Hotels abroad. They should be making a copy for their records not holding your passport. That is why they suggested we register with them in case your passport gets stolen or lost, etc. Maybe a few years ago it was not such a concern as it is now for Americans travelling abroad. At least that is what I got from the Rep at the Embassy. I was very surprised to learn that I had to turn it over to the Cruise Line. I have travelled extensively abroad for business and have never had to turn my passport over to anyone, so this surprised me. My concern was enough to call the Embassy and I am glad I did. I hope the website will encourage anyone with concerns to register. It cannot hurt!!! :)

Most hotels I have stayed in while in Europe do as the previous poster says, they photocopy the main page during check in and hand it back. Hotels, apartment rentals, etc., at least in Italy, by law must report the passport numbers of their guests.

Exceptions to this have been when I was checking in as part of a large group. In order to move things along, they took all the passports and we individually stopped by the desk later that afternoon to pick them up. I suppose we could have refused and simply waited for them, but we were interested in getting into our rooms quickly and didn't think too much about it.

Edited by euro cruiser

I'm not really sure what benefit there is from registering. I doubt it would expedite anything, as the site says you would still have to provide acceptable proof of your identity -- such as your passport, or a copy -- should you need assistance. And if you are on a cruise, it would be highly unlikely that they would be able to contact you (or would need to do so) if there was "civil unrest"??

I suppose it can't hurt anything though.

I have scanned the front pages of my passport, and I always email this to myself just prior to a trip outside the US, just in case anything should happen to my passport. No, it's not a substitute for the real thing, but it is a good starting point if yours has been lost or stolen. Probably a more practical tip.

As others have said, hotels do not hold your passport indefinitely. In some places, they do have to note your passport number in order to comply with local regulations. Often I've had a reputable hotel take my passport and return it within a few minutes. Not really something that I find worrisome.

The reason you need to turn in your passports on a cruise would be to get visa that are needed for ie. Turkey, Egypt, Russia... An agent from the country will board the ship on a prior port go through the passports and issue the visa. Your passport will be returned to you before that port, i would think unless you get your own visa you won't be able to leave the ship(or have to get the visa while in port, if you can)

This reminds me of something that really bothered me on an NCL cruise a few weeks ago.

NCL held our passports upon check-in, telling us they had to because of the G-8 summit that had already concluded in Rome. We were told we could retrieve them a couple of days later.

When the time came to pick them up, we were told to report to one of the lounges. There was a long line, so when I got to the desk I asked if I could pick up all the passports for my family. They happily handed me eight passports (associated with four different rooms) that had four different last names and never questioned whether I had any right to them. That bothered me.

This reminds me of something that really bothered me on an NCL cruise a few weeks ago.

NCL held our passports upon check-in, telling us they had to because of the G-8 summit that had already concluded in Rome. We were told we could retrieve them a couple of days later.

When the time came to pick them up, we were told to report to one of the lounges. There was a long line, so when I got to the desk I asked if I could pick up all the passports for my family. They happily handed me eight passports (associated with four different rooms) that had four different last names and never questioned whether I had any right to them. That bothered me.

This was my exact thought when I first learned that the cruise line would take my passport and what initially prompted me to call the Embassy. If by shear accident it was given to someone else and they did not return it, how would I return to the US without being held up on Italy. I may sound overanxious, but as we all know "There Is a Frist Time for Everything" and I didn't want it to happen to us. Thanks for the reply:):)

I'm not really sure what benefit there is from registering. I doubt it would expedite anything, as the site says you would still have to provide acceptable proof of your identity -- such as your passport, or a copy -- should you need assistance. And if you are on a cruise, it would be highly unlikely that they would be able to contact you (or would need to do so) if there was "civil unrest"??

I suppose it can't hurt anything though.

I have scanned the front pages of my passport, and I always email this to myself just prior to a trip outside the US, just in case anything should happen to my passport. No, it's not a substitute for the real thing, but it is a good starting point if yours has been lost or stolen. Probably a more practical tip.

As others have said, hotels do not hold your passport indefinitely. In some places, they do have to note your passport number in order to comply with local regulations. Often I've had a reputable hotel take my passport and return it within a few minutes. Not really something that I find worrisome.

It will expedite things should you need the Embassy to get involved. They have the rights to your passport by your Registering and can intervein on your behalf to allow access back to the US. My registering was not because of my fear of "Civil Unrest", it was due to the fact I would no longer be in control of my freedom to return to the US should I need to. I posted mainly for those individuals that have never travelled abroad and had the same feelings as me when it came to giving up their passport. Also, I always travel with a copy, but a copy will not help you get back home. Registering will.

It will expedite things should you need the Embassy to get involved. They have the rights to your passport by your Registering and can intervein on your behalf to allow access back to the US. My registering was not because of my fear of "Civil Unrest", it was due to the fact I would no longer be in control of my freedom to return to the US should I need to. I posted mainly for those individuals that have never travelled abroad and had the same feelings as me when it came to giving up their passport. Also, I always travel with a copy, but a copy will not help you get back home. Registering will.

I am not sure where you are reading that?

Here is what is stated under the section on "Why should I register?"

"Millions of Americans travel abroad every year and encounter no difficulties. However, U.S. embassies and consulates assist nearly 200,000 Americans each year who are victims of crime, accident, or illness, or whose family and friends need to contact them in an emergency. When an emergency happens, or if natural disaster, terrorism, or civil unrest strikes during your foreign travel, the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate can be your source of assistance and information. By registering your trip, you help the embassy or consulate locate you when you might need them the most. Registration is voluntary and costs nothing, but it should be a big part of your travel planning and security."

And under "How can the embassy or consulate assist me while I am abroad?"

"U.S. consular officers assist Americans who encounter serious legal, medical, or financial difficulties. Although consular officers cannot act as your legal counsel or representative, they can provide the names of local attorneys and doctors, provide loans to destitute Americans, and provide information about dangerous conditions affecting your overseas travel or residence. Consular officers also perform non-emergency services, helping Americans with absentee voting, selective service registration, receiving federal benefits, and filing U.S. tax forms. Consular officers can notarize documents, issue passports, and register American children born abroad. Most embassies and consulates have web sites with more information.

Registration through this website is NOT considered proof of U.S. citizenship. If you apply for any American citizen services from the embassy or consulate while abroad, you will be asked by the consular staff to provide proof of U.S. citizenship, such as a U.S. passport or American birth certificate."

So, where exactly does it state that you are giving them "the rights to your passport" as you state? Perhaps I am missing something? :confused::confused:

Of course a copy will not get you home. But it will HELP you to get a new passport, which you will need whether or not you register your travel at this site. At least, that is how I understand it.

"Millions of Americans travel abroad every year and encounter no difficulties. However, U.S. embassies and consulates assist nearly 200,000 Americans each year who are victims of crime, accident, or illness, or whose family and friends need to contact them in an emergency. When an emergency happens, or if natural disaster, terrorism, or civil unrest strikes during your foreign travel, the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate can be your source of assistance and information. By registering your trip, you help the embassy or consulate locate you when you might need them the most. Registration is voluntary and costs nothing, but it should be a big part of your travel planning and security."

"U.S. consular officers assist Americans who encounter serious legal, medical, or financial difficulties. Although consular officers cannot act as your legal counsel or representative, they can provide the names of local attorneys and doctors, provide loans to destitute Americans, and provide information about dangerous conditions affecting your overseas travel or residence. Consular officers also perform non-emergency services, helping Americans with absentee voting, selective service registration, receiving federal benefits, and filing U.S. tax forms. Consular officers can notarize documents, issue passports, and register American children born abroad. Most embassies and consulates have web sites with more information.

Registration through this website is NOT considered proof of U.S. citizenship. If you apply for any American citizen services from the embassy or consulate while abroad, you will be asked by the consular staff to provide proof of U.S. citizenship, such as a U.S. passport or American birth certificate."

So, where exactly does it state that you are giving them "the rights to your passport" as you state? Perhaps I am missing something? :confused::confused:

Of course a copy will not get you home. But it will HELP you to get a new passport, which you will need whether or not you register your travel at this site. At least, that is how I understand it.[/quote

If you do not think this is a worthy service to Americans, then don't register. I just hope you never lose your passport or the copy you travel with and have to stay an extended period of time abroad on your dime. I am reporting what I directly heard from a US Embassy Official for those others that might be interested. That is why so many of us use CC.

Of course a copy will not get you home. But it will HELP you to get a new passport, which you will need whether or not you register your travel at this site. At least, that is how I understand it.[/quote

If you do not think this is a worthy service to Americans, then don't register. I just hope you never lose your passport or the copy you travel with and have to stay an extended period of time abroad on your dime. I am reporting what I directly heard from a US Embassy Official for those others that might be interested. That is why so many of us use CC.

Are you the same person as the OP??:confused:

Anyway, I never said it was not a worthy service, and I'm sorry if it came across that way. It just seemed to me that, based on my interpretation, the initial poster's (your?) statements might be overpromising a bit, and I was trying to point that out...

I have traveled outside the US for over 30 years and have not yet lost my passport. That's certainly not to say that I don't take all reasonable precautions to ensure that doesn't happen for each new trip.

I research everything meticulously, and I've learned it's always best to verify things, which is one reason why I am trying to get clarification from you. Many times I've been told one thing on the phone by someone who perhaps THOUGHT they knew the right answer, only to find later -- when confronted with the actual situation -- that the reality is quite different. I'd rather have something in writing.

While I wouldn't hesitate to contact the embassy if I needed help, I feel that most of the burden is on me to retain my passport and, failing that, to have a copy readily available.

On my Princess cruise they didn't even let me take my DH's passport, i guess it depends on each ship/captain?

Are you the same person as the OP??:confused:

Anyway, I never said it was not a worthy service, and I'm sorry if it came across that way. It just seemed to me that, based on my interpretation, the initial poster's (your?) statements might be overpromising a bit, and I was trying to point that out...

I have traveled outside the US for over 30 years and have not yet lost my passport. That's certainly not to say that I don't take all reasonable precautions to ensure that doesn't happen for each new trip.

I research everything meticulously, and I've learned it's always best to verify things, which is one reason why I am trying to get clarification from you. Many times I've been told one thing on the phone by someone who perhaps THOUGHT they knew the right answer, only to find later -- when confronted with the actual situation -- that the reality is quite different. I'd rather have something in writing.

While I wouldn't hesitate to contact the embassy if I needed help, I feel that most of the burden is on me to retain my passport and, failing that, to have a copy readily available.

Agreed!!! Yes I am the original poster and didn't realize I was logged in under my partners login.

OK, can someone simply please explain to me how registering would help me if my passport were lost? (Of course, I also carry several color photocopies when I travel.)

Nothing that I have read so far on this thread provides that information.

Thanks for your assistance.

Pam

Edited by CintiPam

• 7 years later...

So I went to STEP and registered my stops on my cruise, and then I clicked "finished". It just brought me to the home page. No "thanks for registering", no email to confirm I registered.... is that it?

*confused*

You should have received a confirmation email such as the last one I received below:

Smart Traveler Enrollment Program Confirmation

Thank you for notifying us of your upcoming travel plans through the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)!

This email is to confirm your recent enrollment. This information is only accessible to authorized U.S. Department of State Embassy and Consular personnel in the event that emergency assistance needs to be provided to U.S. citizens and nationals who are traveling abroad.

If you would like to make any changes, please visit
and log in to update your data. For more information about traveling or living in a specific country, or to learn more about passports, visas and other consular services, please visit

The U.S. Department of State Smart Traveler Enrollment Program generated this email. Please do NOT reply to this email, as this email address does not accept inbound mail.

I suggest you return to the website and give it another try.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

This is an excellent idea.