Advice 3 day Precruise LA tourist stuff- Hotel

Pamangela

I do not want to interup your post, but after reading thru I realize a lot of my questions have been answered here as to where to stay. We are cruising on the Sapphire Princess from, cruise docs say, Los Angeles? We will also be arriving on a Wednesday and will now stay at the Sportsman Lodge and will have a rental car. My question is how do I return the rental car the day of the cruise? We are sort of familiar with the area, our daughter was stationed at ElToro in the early 90's and we visited alot in her 4 years there. Want to do the Santa Monica Pier/Venice Beach area, driving around the Southern LA beaches, Huntington, Newport etc. maybe the Warner Studio tour and Hollywood, never took a tour so that might be a option. My main concern is getting to the pier and then to the airport after our cruise. Had considered just staying at LAX hotel but the Sportsman seems like a neat place. Thank you

I do not want to interup your post, but after reading thru I realize a lot of my questions have been answered here as to where to stay. We are cruising on the Sapphire Princess from, cruise docs say, Los Angeles? We will also be arriving on a Wednesday and will now stay at the Sportsman Lodge and will have a rental car. My question is how do I return the rental car the day of the cruise? We are sort of familiar with the area, our daughter was stationed at ElToro in the early 90's and we visited alot in her 4 years there. Want to do the Santa Monica Pier/Venice Beach area, driving around the Southern LA beaches, Huntington, Newport etc. maybe the Warner Studio tour and Hollywood, never took a tour so that might be a option. My main concern is getting to the pier and then to the airport after our cruise. Had considered just staying at LAX hotel but the Sportsman seems like a neat place. Thank you

HEY LOVEJAKE! You are doing EXACTLY what I am doing.. and we, too, are taking Sapphire. I guess you will want my reviews upon returning which I will be most happy to share. :)

Between Curt & Steve and an few other who posted, they are THE most knowldgeable helpful people I've ever met! And have felt honored they have taken such attention to detail for me. :o

And on that note, I say I need to keep searching now for the touring aspect, and what's the best to do on each island in the Riviera. Now who's the expert to seek out there??????

You may want to check into car rental agencies that allow for one-way rentals (renting at the airport office but drop off at the office nearest to the port). Many people who rent a car pre-cruise will drop off their party and luggage at the berth (you'll be sailing from the World Cruise Center in San Pedro, which is the Port of Los Angeles), return the car, then catch the agency's shuttle or take a taxi back to the pier. I would suggest trying to talk to the local office here directly (some rental agencies do allow one-ways, but often you can get the wrong info checking just the web site).

You may want to check into car rental agencies that allow for one-way rentals (renting at the airport office but drop off at the office nearest to the port). Many people who rent a car pre-cruise will drop off their party and luggage at the berth (you'll be sailing from the World Cruise Center in San Pedro' date=' which is the Port of Los Angeles), return the car, then catch the agency's shuttle or take a taxi back to the pier. I would suggest trying to talk to the local office here directly (some rental agencies do allow one-ways, but often you can get the wrong info checking just the web site).[/quote']

The car rental is exactly what we do in Florida departures, so that will be my first step. Right now we are deciding on arriving early pre cruise, or just arriving Friday later and using the Princess hotel transfer program to the port. Or arriving on Wednesday and using Princess transfers to the airport after the cruise. We want to do Venice Beach and thought Saturday or Sunday there might more going on. Think I am leaning towards the cruise first and then staying until Monday. Will call to see what agencies have port pick up, early research shows only Enterprise. Thanks for any advice since we have never sailed from the West coast and previous trips we only had to worry about getting there, stayed with our daughter who lived there.

OK... I think CJW -you recommend Redline Tours over the others, correct?

Or anyone else with opinion? Tx or Steve? Or Patti?

We will be doing Warner Bros and want to see if we can do both in one day???

Also, very important question!!! :D

Where would be the closest LIQUOR store by Sportsmen's Lodge? I was trying to locate a true visual of the street but with mapquest is too hard to figure out.

Thank you thank you :cool:

Fortunately in LA, you can get liquor at grocery stores and some drug stores. My hubby says there's a Ralphs on Coldwater (apparently near where the pipe broke the other day). I seem to remember a Ralphs or Vons on Laurel Canyon Blvd at Ventura Blvd. Either one would have booze. There's also a drug store across the street from there; it may be a CVS or Rite Aid (I don't remember). Also there's a liquor store east of there in a shopping center (there's a Dupar's and Giogios Restaurant -- we usually go there once or twice a year -- and Traders Joes, which would have liquor). If you have a car, that should be doable as long as you can find parking...it's often packed.

Fortunately in LA' date=' you can get liquor at grocery stores and some drug stores. My hubby says there's a Ralphs on Coldwater (apparently near where the pipe broke the other day). I seem to remember a Ralphs or Vons on Laurel Canyon Blvd at Ventura Blvd. Either one would have booze. There's also a drug store across the street from there; it may be a CVS or Rite Aid (I don't remember). Also there's a liquor store east of there in a shopping center (there's a Dupar's and Giogios Restaurant -- we usually go there once or twice a year -- and Traders Joes, which would have liquor). If you have a car, that should be doable as long as you can find parking...it's often packed.[/quote']

I don't mean beer or wine, but vodka. :D Can you actually buy vodka at your local CVS or grocery store? :eek:

Regular alcohol can be purchased at non-liquor stores. I can't drink because of my tummy, but I have seen various types of alcohol at our Ralphs (grocery chain). That's where my hubby buys his wine. Our local Target just stocks wine and mixers. I'm not sure about Walgreens (don't remember seeing any booze there), but I remember seeing the aisle in CVS (drug store chain here) and it seemed to have a decent variety.

Hey CJW... I found one of your older posts that included food links near Sportsmen's.... :D so I took the liberty of copying your wonderful info on this thread for the other's here who are benefiting from all this great pre-cruise advice from you, Steve, TX, Patty, etc.

OK.. here's YOUR links and advice... and THANK you for these!!:

That being said, there are far more nice, good food options near here than any other area hotels, including the breakfast, lunch and dinner in the hotel restaurant (there are at least two)...

Nearby food options:

http://www.lepainquotidien.com/

http://www.jerrysfamousdeli.com/

http://carneytrain.com/index3.html

http://www.bajafresh.com/

http://www.ahisushi.com/

http://www.risottorestaurant.com/

and there's always Subway...

There is also a Ralph's Grocery Store across the street for inexpensive eats...

http://www.ralphs.com/Pages/default.aspx

Between Curt & Steve and an few other who posted, they are THE most knowldgeable helpful people I've ever met! And have felt honored they have taken such attention to detail for me. :o

That's the special perk just for this forum........you get personal experience from the West Coast BOYZ...:D:D

They RAWK!!

I don't mean beer or wine, but vodka. :D Can you actually buy vodka at your local CVS or grocery store? :eek:

You can!! Isn't that cool?

All day Sunday even!!:)

Have an awesome trip!!

Hey CJW... I found one of your older posts that included food links near Sportsmen's.... :D so I took the liberty of copying your wonderful info on this thread for the other's here who are benefiting from all this great pre-cruise advice from you, Steve, TX, Patty, etc.

OK.. here's YOUR links and advice... and THANK you for these!!:

That being said, there are far more nice, good food options near here than any other area hotels, including the breakfast, lunch and dinner in the hotel restaurant (there are at least two)...

Nearby food options:

http://www.lepainquotidien.com/

http://www.jerrysfamousdeli.com/

http://carneytrain.com/index3.html

http://www.bajafresh.com/

http://www.ahisushi.com/

http://www.risottorestaurant.com/

and there's always Subway...

There is also a Ralph's Grocery Store across the street for inexpensive eats...

http://www.ralphs.com/Pages/default.aspx

We haven't been able to access the Internet for the last few days (bad cable box at our outside curb that got replaced this morning; and would you believe one of our phones stopped working today too). I would definitely recommend Jerry's Deli as a must do. There's also another restaurant that is very popular that Steve often recommends, Micelis. That was where we had our wedding rehearsal dinner and our first anniversary dinner.

And I do assure you that many drug stores and grocery stores do stock alcohol. You can even buy it on Sunday (I lived in Missouri for a couple of years and at least at that time, you couldn't buy a lot of stuff on Sundays). CVS and Rite Aid would have a decent selection, as does Ralphs and Vons.

In my home town in Wisconsin you can buy anything just about anywhere. Gas Stations, Wal-Greens, Wal-Mart, you can even buy a 6-pack or bottle from your local bar and go home with it. But then again its Wisconsin.

I moved to Colorado and was surprised you couldn't, until a couple of months ago, buy anything with alcohol in it on Sundays. You also get weak beer in anything but a liquor store! I thought it was funny you can get anything you want from anyone in Wisconsin, and in Colorado you have to go to the liquor store to get anything worth while!

http://www.portoflosangeles.org/recreation/cruises.asp

I re-searched my rental car price and found it even cheaper than originally booked. So I called them. Not only did I secure an even better rate on my Enterprise rental, but also got it in writing that there is no extra charge for drop off in San Pedro. Plus the above site specifies a free ride to the pier!

OK. I still need to book my tour...

Redline Tours? the full all day to book is suggested?

Or can we just do it all ourselves??

OK. I still need to book my tour...

Redline Tours? the full all day to book is suggested?

Or can we just do it all ourselves??

Please follow my advice on this, and only book a Redline Tour (don't use another tour company).

Get the Hollywood Movie Star Experience on a weekday.

They'll pick you up from your hotel.

You can't beat it for a great all around LA tour and experience.

Anything extra that you want to do, you can do yourself after that...;)

CJW...I need your help!!

We will be staying at the Doubletree San Pedro for a couple days pre-cruise in November. So far, we had decided not to get a rental car. I have got us tickets to the American Music Awards at the Nokia Theatre. Now...what is our best option for transportation? I expect traffic would be heavy. How much time should we allow? We have to be in our seats at 4pm.

Thanks.

CJW...I need your help!!

We will be staying at the Doubletree San Pedro for a couple days pre-cruise in November. So far, we had decided not to get a rental car. I have got us tickets to the American Music Awards at the Nokia Theatre. Now...what is our best option for transportation? I expect traffic would be heavy. How much time should we allow? We have to be in our seats at 4pm.

Thanks.

You do not have a rental car...

You should get a booking with one of these companies, as you will need a private car for this:

http://www.execucar.com

http://www.karmel.com

I really wouldn't recommend you to attempt public transportation, as it will be too unpredictable and confusing for an event like this for someone who isn't a local.

You should really try to get there as early as you can, and plan with snacks etc in your purse...

(They'll be checking for security, so just make them very, very small, and compact).

On Sunday, it will only take about 30 minutes to get from San Pedro close to downtown - but since you and everyone else with a ticket will be heading to the Nokia you need to plan more time.

There will be more traffic as you get closer, and parking/valet and getting from parking/valet to your seat can be a mess.

I would leave San Pedro at about 1:30 PM, with the idea that you'll get there by 2:30, and into your seats by 3 or so.

The later in the day, the huge-er the traffic mess. I've known several people who are so late, they have to get out of the car and walk. You don't want that...

Have a good time, and let us know how it goes...

Edited by Curt Jerome Wild

We would like to do a tour on the day before our cruise but we are staying at the Queen Mary hotel. Will any tour company pick us up from there, or if not where is the nearest pick up place, and how do we get there please?

The only tour company I recommend that picks up from San Pedro and Long Beach is Sunseekers:

http://www.sunseekertours.us

But, you have to already be at your hotel ready to go by 8 or 9 AM.

They don't do any mid afternoon tours (it takes too long to get from Long Beach or San Pedro and back for that).

If you are going to be at the Queen Mary that early in the morning on the day before your cruise - then it's a great tour, and it will work for you.

If your schedule is different than that, then let me know as you'll have to do something different (like take a car or shuttle to Hollywood)...

Edited by Curt Jerome Wild

You do not have a rental car...

You should get a booking with one of these companies, as you will need a private car for this:

www.execucar.com

www.karmel.com

I really wouldn't recommend you to attempt public transportation, as it will be too unpredictable and confusing for an event like this for someone who isn't a local.

You should really try to get there as early as you can, and plan with snacks etc in your purse...

(They'll be checking for security, so just make them very, very small, and compact).

On Sunday, it will only take about 30 minutes to get from San Pedro close to downtown - but since you and everyone else with a ticket will be heading to the Nokia you need to plan more time.

There will be more traffic as you get closer, and parking/valet and getting from parking/valet to your seat can be a mess.

I would leave San Pedro at about 1:30 PM, with the idea that you'll get there by 2:30, and into your seats by 3 or so.

The later in the day, the huge-er the traffic mess. I've known several people who are so late, they have to get out of the car and walk. You don't want that...

Have a good time, and let us know how it goes...

Thank you so much for the info. I'm guessing the car service picks you up after the show too.

Edited by pjbeau

Would anyone know if Lucille Ball's home is included in the star tour... or if it's in the nearby neighborhood? I am a serious Lucy lover.... and hope to see something of when comedy like Lucy's was just that... simple, silly and fun. She was the QUEEN of comedy! :)

I also wanted to know where the Hollywood Plaza Hotel was where they supposedly stayed when Ricky was working in LA - and the Hollywood Hotel that appeared in the background? Also the Brown Derby (I read there's a shadow of it left?) and the Knickerbocker Hotel where Fred lived?

And thank you CJW. Guess Redline it is.

Does anyone also know if there are any big happenings to be aware of (for good and bad) for Sept 30th thru Oct 3rd? We'll be visiting LA from LI in 8 days! We will be cruise critics and land critics and reporters!!

Edited by Pamangela

Would anyone know if Lucille Ball's home is included in the star tour... or if it's in the nearby neighborhood? I am a serious Lucy lover.... and hope to see something of when comedy like Lucy's was just that... simple, silly and fun. She was the QUEEN of comedy! :)

I also wanted to know where the Hollywood Plaza Hotel was where they supposedly stayed when Ricky was working in LA - and the Hollywood Hotel that appeared in the background? Also the Brown Derby (I read there's a shadow of it left?) and the Knickerbocker Hotel where Fred lived?

And thank you CJW. Guess Redline it is.

Does anyone also know if there are any big happenings to be aware of (for good and bad) for Sept 30th thru Oct 3rd? We'll be visiting LA from LI in 8 days! We will be cruise critics and land critics and reporters!!

Apparently one place Lucy and Desi lived was in Chatsworth in the San Fernando Valley. Someplace off of Devonshire near Winnetka or Corbin (kinda near me). Not sure if the house is still there, but there is a private road around there. Supposedly, it was a little conclave for stars at the time. I would doubt if any tour would come up here (which could be why a lot of celebrities live in the Valley).

I just found a site where we COULD have gotten tickets for this shows taping on Friday eve, Oct 2nd at 5:00.

I am so SICK!!!! tHE TAPING OF tWO & A hALF mEN!!! It is SOLD OUT!!

wE SO SO SO SOOOOOOOOOOO want to go!

We are HUGE fans of that and The Big Bang Theory, too, whcih we wont be in town for... but TWO & A HALF MEN!?!!! omg...OUR FAVORITE SHOW (WITH bIG bANG!) i AM SOOO DISAPPOINTED!!!

Does ANYONE have an "in' so we can be a viewer of this sbow?

Please???

Edited by Pamangela

Pamangela - Could you share the site for the taping? My sister and I are going on the NCL Star November 7th, but flying in the morning of the 6th (Friday). If they would have something available for us to see it would be great.

Thanks to all of you for educating me on LA and what to do, where to stay, where to eat! I've enjoyed reading this thread and making plans.

Denise