Advice 3 day Precruise LA tourist stuff- Hotel

Pamangela

Ok, so many threads.. i just want some straight out advice/answers/guidance and was told to come here for the experts...

We're coming in noon on a Weds. staying til Sat Princess Cruise out of San Pedro.

Want to do the touristy stuff:

Warner Bros., Rodeo Drive, Mann Theatre & see Hollywood sign & do the stars homes. Need a hotel with night life for night lifel Love the embassy suites to stay in. And we will have no car.

What hotel is recommended.... for the 3 nights.

would love the airport pick-up to hotel...

And then need ride to Port on Saturday. How long of a ride & much will that cost? Is there a special service with a straight price?

I need HELP!

Hey Pamangela!

You caught me at a good time tonight to answer some specifics and help you.

But I need to confirm a few things first...

#1 It sounds like you aren't renting a car, and don't want to do that?

If so, then we need to get you a hotel with lots of things in walking distance, safe, but easy access to transportation.

#2 When you say nightlife, what do you mean exactly? Restaurants? Nice nightclubs? Music venues? Comedy shows?

#3 General budget range? This is tricky, because I've got a few to recommend highly - but I don't want to lead you in a direction too low or too high for your budget.

For 3 days though, you want to be out of San Pedro or Long Beach. And not in Downtown LA either...

So, let me know - and I can get you started!:D

Hey Pamangela!

You caught me at a good time tonight to answer some specifics and help you.

But I need to confirm a few things first...

#1 It sounds like you aren't renting a car, and don't want to do that?

If so, then we need to get you a hotel with lots of things in walking distance, safe, but easy access to transportation.

#2 When you say nightlife, what do you mean exactly? Restaurants? Nice nightclubs? Music venues? Comedy shows?

#3 General budget range? This is tricky, because I've got a few to recommend highly - but I don't want to lead you in a direction too low or too high for your budget.

For 3 days though, you want to be out of San Pedro or Long Beach. And not in Downtown LA either...

So, let me know - and I can get you started!:D

Hi Curt! Are you my lifesaver?? I hope so! I'm sorry I didn't write back last night... hopefully you'll get an opp in the next day or so...:D

Ok. No car rental. Yes to easy access to the 'tourist attractions'. Ideally, Warner Bros. Studios, Rodeo Drive, Mann's Theater & a bus tour of the star's homes... maybe be able to see that famous "Hollywood" sign? in 2 1/2 days. ;)

Night life? Just not stuck in the hotel or just the hotel room for the rest of the evening wartching TV- yuk. :eek: Being able to walk outside, down the block, and not in a seedy area. Just not in the middle of no where! Just 'life', and places to eat besides the hotel itself.

Budget? How tactfully asked-lol. We're middle class america. Would love that 'continental breakfast' hotel like a Comfort Suites or Embassy Suites, Hyatt... no little dumpy motel, but also no $200/night either.... (Hopefully one that has airport pick up from the LAx airport.)

Transportation service to the hotel to pier... Is there a limo/taxi/transport service we can hire for a set fee on that Saturday that you could recoommend? I'm thinking it's maybe an hour, hour and half to pier from some LA parts, so afraid of the cost... curious to an estimate on this. Could it cost $50? $100?

I am so overwhelmed and not sure WHERE to begin! Help Curt! Want to do it all (we live near NYC and we laugh at all the tourists... but this time I want to be that tourist!!!!

..and THANK you in advance!!:)

Hi Curt! Are you my lifesaver?? I hope so! I'm sorry I didn't write back last night... hopefully you'll get an opp in the next day or so...:D

Ok. No car rental. Yes to easy access to the 'tourist attractions'. Ideally, Warner Bros. Studios, Rodeo Drive, Mann's Theater & a bus tour of the star's homes... maybe be able to see that famous "Hollywood" sign? in 2 1/2 days. ;)

Night life? Just not stuck in the hotel or just the hotel room for the rest of the evening wartching TV- yuk. :eek: Being able to walk outside, down the block, and not in a seedy area. Just not in the middle of no where! Just 'life', and places to eat besides the hotel itself.

Budget? How tactfully asked-lol. We're middle class america. Would love that 'continental breakfast' hotel like a Comfort Suites or Embassy Suites, Hyatt... no little dumpy motel, but also no $200/night either.... (Hopefully one that has airport pick up from the LAx airport.)

Transportation service to the hotel to pier... Is there a limo/taxi/transport service we can hire for a set fee on that Saturday that you could recoommend? I'm thinking it's maybe an hour, hour and half to pier from some LA parts, so afraid of the cost... curious to an estimate on this. Could it cost $50? $100?

I am so overwhelmed and not sure WHERE to begin! Help Curt! Want to do it all (we live near NYC and we laugh at all the tourists... but this time I want to be that tourist!!!!

..and THANK you in advance!!:)

Some of the places you mentioned you might be able to see on a tour. But Warner Brothers may require some transportation as it's in Burbank on Pass. So if you don't have a rental, you may end up paying for several taxis to get around, depending on all the places you want to see.

As for getting between LAX and your hotel, don't count on any free shuttle, unless you're staying near the airport (which you will not want to do). You'll have to get a taxi or shuttle (Supershuttle, etc.) or end up getting that car rental. Same thing for the hotel to the port, unless you stay in San Pedro or Long Beach, both of which seem not to be the best option for you.

oh boy.... so.... the best location is where???

and cost back to pier is to use super shuttle? cost?

and we need to see if Warner Bros can pick us up? ora shuttle/cab would cost??

im so screwed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

oh boy.... so.... the best location is where???

and cost back to pier is to use super shuttle? cost?

and we need to see if Warner Bros can pick us up? ora shuttle/cab would cost??

im so screwed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Warner Brothers doesn't provide shuttle service.

Warner Brothers doesn't provide shuttle service.

boo hoo. OK, Cruisin'. Thank you!-

I am guessing my best bet is to Mapquest it all and choice the best midpoint location. I would have figured SOMEone might have also done a 3 day prior and wanted to do the same touristy stuff as we do... and thought I'd find the perfect solution. .. ahhh, but not yet!

Oh well- if anyone has a clue and a plan, please pass along your suggestion as we are SO o[en to ideas! Thank you!

Are you sure you don't want to rent a car? LA is not at all like NY City where there is so much safe, public, convenient transportation! Everyone in So. Cal. drives their own car...everywhere! :o Mainly because our publie transport is so poor and limited and also because everything is so spread out. Perhaps the freeway systems are somewhat daunting but I think you can now get rental cars with GPS systems...that should make it far easier to find those special places you want to see! I think Enterprise has an office very close to the San Pedro pier...you might want to consider them...pick one up at LAX and then return it to the pier? LuAnn

Hello OP...I know you want to not have to rent a car, but after living in Studio City for two years...if you want to see anything, you need to rent a car. You can do so fairly inexpensivley. Best bet is do go to hotwire or priceline. if you go to price line, name your own price....and bid on economy....you can sometime get upgraded at no cost. For about 20 bucks a day you get a car. much cheaper that airport transfer to hotel and taxi for three days. return car to aiport in morning and take transfer there to pier. Curt my have better advise as I have not lived there for almost two years, but have been back to visit several times. Sportsman Logge on Ventura Blvd may be best lodging for you. I know they had just built a new Hampton Inn in Van Nuys...but if you dont rent the car that would be a no go. I highly recommend Warner Bros tour....very good. Seeing the hollywood sign is a drive by kinda thing. Best viewing location would be sunset and Gower, or hollywood blvd and gower. Since you want to do hollywood walk of fame....Park in the Hollywood & Highland center. Get validated at starbucks or any other vender in the mall and walk up and down the Blvd. Parking there puts you right out at Mann's Chinease and the Walk of fame. Down there they have star maps but you can also get them online. Doa google search of star maps or movie star homes in hollywood. If you stay at the sportsman lodge, eat at Casa Vega....lots of celebs eat there. I once ate lunch there and most of the cast of Desperate houswives were also eating. It is on Ventura Blvd. Sportsman lodge is also right at Coldwater Canyon. That will take you through the Hollywood HIlls into beverly hills. Ventura has lots of shopping and coffee shops and celebs are all around....but you have to look close, they dont look like they do on tv. ANother fun thing to do is go to google maps and type in studio city or hollywood ca, zoom in a bit and it will show you were some things are and you can get a good idea of where everything is. Have fun....I miss LA.

Edited by tximprov

Hi LuAnn & TXImprov...

THANK YOU!!! You both have very very valid points... and hubby and I are now MAYBE considering renting a car. The thing is, I wanted him to not have to worry about driving since I am a bit nervous driving in the 'unknown' and YES.. all those traffic jam stories scare me!:eek:

OK... TX, you also made very very valid points AND marked me out an almost definitive plan. I love it.

Open to ALL suggestions... we also wondered if the

1) Venice Beach is worthy of a stop over.

2) San Diego Zoo?

__I think we needed to come to CA even earlier than 3 days prior to cruise. Sooo much to see! :D Want to do it all!

...now another question I have- I read in these posts that one of the rental agencies is right near San Pedro pier. Do you know which one it is? We truly did not want to go back to the airport, except as a last resort- and someone said this car rental will bring you to the pier.

i think I will look up that hotel you suggested. I would LOVE do some star gazing! That would be incredible! :)

Curt my have better advise as I have not lived there for almost two years, but have been back to visit several times.

Sportsman Logge on Ventura Blvd may be best lodging for you. I know they had just built a new Hampton Inn in Van Nuys.... .

TXImprov, I just looked up the Sprtsman Lodge and it seems they don't have lodging there- weddings, banquets, restaurant- but I did not see pricing for rooms. the site does say they were rennovating- maybe they're not renting rooms anymore???

I will be looking into New Hampton Inn next.

And yes, Curt- any other outline suggestions from the expert? The car might be the way to go. We might have to give in and accept EVERYone's advice as it seems to hard to 'do it all' with out the costly price tag of cabs in LA> guess it's not the same as the city here in NY.

Too bad about sportsman lodge....you have the Universal Hilton right there at Universal Studios....If you fly into Burbank ( dont know if your already booked) there are severl Brand hotels in that area. Of course even if your flying into LAX you could stay there. Curt would really know better about your hotel options. As I said, It has been almost two years since I lived there. Have fun either way....

is awesome...in fact I was just there yesterday AM! If you are a zoo member you get a free entrance pass for a year so it's easy to go and just see a "slice" of the zoo each time.

It is considered the best zoo in the world (remember I am a SD native ;)) but that would really take an entire day out of your schedule to get down here, see the zoo and get back to LA..probably better to save that for a time when you sail out of SD...next time!? :D LuAnn

Pam,

I'll try to throw around some "no car" options...

[Of course, like all Angelenos, I have trouble conceiving of life in LA without a car]...

For three nights, I'd look at one of two options:

Universal City or Santa Monica...

Universal City (there's a Hilton and a Sheraton right in the Universal complex) puts you close to those sites you mentioned. You would likely have to get a cab to Warner Bros., but you could walk to Universal Studios, hang out at the very popular "Citywalk" at night...or go to one of my faves for dinner--Miceli's on Cahuenga)...You could get to Hollywood (Grauman's Chinese, Walk of Fame, Hollywood & Highland) by use of the Metro...For a larger tour of the stars' homes (as it were), the tour companies will pick you up at these hotels...You will need a shuttle service or taxi to take you from LAX to Universal and from Universal to the pier...An option here is to fly into Burbank Airport instead...a short shuttle or taxi ride away...

Santa Monica...I would use a tour company that picks up at the hotel to take a tour of Hollywood, Beverly Hills and so on...Warner Bros might be a little tough to do from here--an expensive cab ride...But nightlife abounds...Third Street Promenade, Santa Monica Pier...and you've got lots to do between here and Venice and Marina del Rey...plus the Santa Monica "Big Blue Bus" is one of the better public transit units in the area if you want to take atruip up to Westwood, Beverly Hills or the Getty...Again, you would need a shuttle LAX to Santa Monica and Santa Monica to the pier...

Hope that helps...

Edited by Bruin Steve

Tx, LuAnn & Steve,

Anyway- quick fact from me- I am booked to arrive in LAX.

...San Diego Zoo: you have a good point LuAnn. Hubby wanted that on his 'to-do' list.

...TxImprov: I found another link with rooms to Sportsman. I think it looks very sports/hunting lodge type and not so sure i loved it, although I LOVE the idea that i could run inot someone that just happens to be staying there... Wouldn't that be FUN and a great story to tell back home! I might try the other hotel ideas.

...and Steve..(wow Steve... you really are all over the boards with a world of info!! Love it, thank you!)and loved your outline! Very helpful info! We might be 60/40 for car rental as it just might be similar cost?? And if we did, I thought I read that there might be a car rental near the San Pedro pier that will scoot you over? Don't know which one... and then I think they charge more to pick up from LAX and drop off at another location?

that said- going to sleep on these. thinking you all are very right about just renting a car.

Q? If the zoo is out, what would be a suggestion for :

1) a 'do not miss' this... or

2) an 'off the beaten path' idea?

THANK YOU THANK YOU... i am so out of my element on the other side of the US here. I know FL and PR and the Caribbean well enough, but this is new territory for me to figure out. So appreciate advice!!!

If your a movie fan, as I am...(also Im a part time commercial actor...) You cant miss Warner Bros studio tour. Walk of fame is just a sidewalk...but the studio is where it all happens....The Getty and/or Griffith Observatory or also awsome. There is just so much to do it really depends on what your looking for.

Ok, so many threads.. i just want some straight out advice/answers/guidance and was told to come here for the experts...

We're coming in noon on a Weds. staying til Sat Princess Cruise out of San Pedro.

Want to do the touristy stuff:

Warner Bros., Rodeo Drive, Mann Theatre & see Hollywood sign & do the stars homes. Need a hotel with night life for night lifel Love the embassy suites to stay in. And we will have no car.

What hotel is recommended.... for the 3 nights.

would love the airport pick-up to hotel...

And then need ride to Port on Saturday. How long of a ride & much will that cost? Is there a special service with a straight price?

I need HELP!

It is obvious that you have never been to So. Cal. You WILL need to rent a car. I can tell you straight, that every place you want to see will be at least 1/2 to 1 hour driving time depending on traffic. If you are in LA and want to see the San Diego Zoo, that is at least 2 hours driving time from the LAX area. I live in Oceanside and that is about 40 miles north of the Zoo and it take me at least 45 minutes to get there depending on traffic. I am abour 50 mles south of LAX and about 70 miles from Warner Bros Studio. That will give you an idea how spread out we are here.

There is no shuttle to Warner Bros. Rodeo Drive is on the other side of town from Warner Bros. You will find everything is very spread out here.

Not like the East Coast States where you can drive to 5 states in a couple of hours.

I had friends visit from the East Coast and they wanted to go to San Francisco to shop and come back in a day. I asked them what airline they would like to go on. They thought I could dirve them up in a couple of hours. They had no idea that it would take at least a 10 hour drive from where I live and a 10 hour drive back.

You best bet would to try to find a central hotel and see if you could book a tour to some of the places you want to see in the LA area and then see if you could book a tour to the San Deigo area. This would save on driving the freeways and both of you could relax and enjoy your 3 day stay.

Good luck to you.

Smiles.........Kitty (Nan)

If your a movie fan, as I am...(also Im a part time commercial actor...) You cant miss Warner Bros studio tour. Walk of fame is just a sidewalk...but the studio is where it all happens....The Getty and/or Griffith Observatory or also awsome. There is just so much to do it really depends on what your looking for.

What's funny is I consider myself a frustrated actor's mom. (Our son is an actor.. mostly stage (Shakespeare), and some TV & film. He does not allow me to go with him to 'star gaze', never gets a pic or an autograph, -because "you don't do THAT!"....so I am doing the gazing in LA.)

...Warner Bros. is my choice of studios as opposed to the commercial Universal. Not sure if we should do the shorter one or the longer one with eating at the studio. Do you think it's worth doing the loinger one?

Is the Getty Griffith Observatory an all day tour...or a couple of hours?

thanks for taking the time out to even reply to my questions!

@Kitty...

I'm LEARNING here... getting the HUGE picture of how big LA is! yes... just leaving Long Island and going up to Lake George is only 4 hours and end to end on LI is maybe an hour, hour and a half.

Narrowing down:

Skipping the Zoo. Heard it's an all dayer.... not stressing over that.

..and conceding to renting a car. Got that great advice already and am heeding it!! I just need to find out which car rental is near the pier- and who will let me rent from airport and drop off to pier.

\

Thanks for the great advice! Narrowing down IS making decisions!!!!

Is the Getty Griffith Observatory an all day tour...or a couple of hours?

Getty.....Griffith Observatory...

Two different things...actually, three...

The Getty is an art museum...Actually two museums...

J Paul Getty was actually my neighbor (though late in his life, he lived in England most of the year and only lived here part time...But, he IS buried on the property...Getty's LA house was in Pacific Palisades (though they always call the museum "Malibu", Malibu is actually a short hop further up the coast)--right behind my parents' house...in the mid-70s, much to my parents' and most of the other neighbors' dismay, Getty built a museum on the property, down in the canyon below his house...and left a rather large estate to a foundation to run the museum and collections...A few years back, the collection considerably outgrew the facility, so the foundation bought another piece of property--on a hilltop overlooking the city in the Sepulveda Pass area near Bel Air/Brentwood and built a larger museum...

The original museum is now called the Getty Villa and houses the "Antiquities" Collection...The newer museum is called the Getty Center and houses most of the other art collections...either property is worth a few hours on their own...both are also architectural masterpieces...They are among the world's great museums...

http://www.getty.edu/museum/

The Griffith Observatory sits on a hilltop in Hollywood in the middle of Griffith Park. Griffith Park is one of the largest city parks in the world--over six and a half square miles...It was a gift (1896) to the city from Real Estate Developer Colonel Griffith J. Griffith (seriously, that was his name! He was a very wealthy, but somewhat eccentric and notorious gentleman who actually served time in prison for shooting his wife)...Griffifth also left a trust fund after his death in 1919 to fund the park's improvements--including the Greek Theater and the Observatory--which was completed in 1935

It also includes the LA Zoo, the Greek Theater and the Autry Museum, depending on your interests, all interesting sites in and of themselves...

http://www.lacity.org/rap/dos/parks/griffithPK/index.htm

The observatory alone is easily worth a couple of hours...

http://www.griffithobservatory.org/

A little note here--the HOLLYWOOD Sign is actually located in Griffifth Park and was originally built in 1923 as an advertisement for a real estate development...the originl sign was longer--it said "HOLLYWOODLAND"...

By 1978, it had fallen into disrepair and the refurbishment was organized by none other than Alice Cooper and funded by 9 donors, each of whom funded the refurbishment of one letter including Cooper (who paid to rebuild one of the Os which was completely gone), Andy Williams, Hugh Hefner and Gene Autry...

Don't worry about the Sportsman Lodge being very "hunting" oriented. I haven't been in the hotel rooms (as I live in the Valley about within 15 miles away from there), but grew up having many a "special occasions" meal there with my family in the restaurant. My family was as far away from being a sporty type of family and we never felt out of place.

Again, if you're planning to go on the Warner tour, I would go along with the rent a car crowd here. I've been there a couple of times in the past (not on the tour, but for job interviews) and it's in one of the business areas of Burbank...probably best to have your own transportation to get there.

@Kitty...

I'm LEARNING here... getting the HUGE picture of how big LA is! yes... just leaving Long Island and going up to Lake George is only 4 hours and end to end on LI is maybe an hour, hour and a half.

Narrowing down:

Skipping the Zoo. Heard it's an all dayer.... not stressing over that.

..and conceding to renting a car. Got that great advice already and am heeding it!! I just need to find out which car rental is near the pier- and who will let me rent from airport and drop off to pier.

\

Thanks for the great advice! Narrowing down IS making decisions!!!!

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off that way. It is just that LA is so big and spread out and people just don't realize that you can get from A to B, but not A to C or D or C to D.

Just to show you how my mind thinks, I was in Vermot visiting friends and they told me that we were going to Upper New York and then on to the City for the day. Well, my mind was in California and my eyes must have popped out of my head becasue I was just astounded! How do you get from Vermont to NYC in a day? Then my friend showed me the map. My goodness all those states plus would fit into California. We were only a couple of hours away from NYC. That was amazing to me. If you travel California from San Diego, the bottom to the top of Northern California up by the Oregon Border. It would take you 2 days.

I am sure you will find a tour that goes where you want to go. Check with the Hotel, and I am sure they will have some tours to the places you want to see. Good luck to you and I hope you have a wonderful time here. If I wasn't working and headed for Alaska in 12 days, I would gladly come and pick you up and show you around. Nope, I wouldn't even ask you to take me on your cruise. :)

Smiles........Kitty (Nan)

Edited by kittyspite

so much to see and experience..and not enough time or money..:confused:

a deliema most of are in nowadays..

since could be a once in a life time experience..id still go on the budget and rent a car from Enterprise..things are pretty spread out in LA and it could get more costly cabing it.....on debarkation day..drop the car off at

Enterprise in San Pedro and grab a shuttle to the pier..

disneyland..to big to see in one day..Universal Studio s is getting big to..might get a VIP card and move to the front of every line..

you could spend the day on Catalina..not as exciting as the nightlife..but, its a don t miss destination if your in the LA area..

Edited by deepnite10

The Getty is an art museum...right behind my parents' house...

Wow.. very impressive!!

Steve,,,, you are so very informative. Thank you for all that wonderful info and facts. I didn't have a clue.. and learned a lot from you tonight!

Estate Developer Colonel Griffith J. Griffith (seriously, that was his name!

now THAT is pretty funny. Poor guy!

A little note here--the HOLLYWOOD Sign is... said "HOLLYWOODLAND"...

By 1978, it had fallen into disrepair and the refurbishment was organized by none other than Alice Cooper and funded by 9 donors, each of whom funded the refurbishment of one letter including Cooper (who paid to rebuild one of the Os which was completely gone), Andy Williams, Hugh Hefner and Gene Autry...

'the' snake head biter Alice Cooper? Learn something new all the time. Thanks again, Steve!

so much to see and experience..and not enough time or money..:confused:

a dilema most of are in nowadays..

rent a car from Enterprise......drop the car off at

Enterprise in San Pedro and grab a shuttle to the pier..

disneyland..to big to see in one day..Universal Studio s is getting big to...

true true true, deepnite.

I see renting a car in our future.... and thank you. Looked and saw Enterprise IS the rental at the pier. Wonderful. Now to find the discount codes to get the best deal I can....

as for Disneyland & Universal? Been there, done that in Florida so those were two place not on the 'bucket list'-lol