Advice 3 day Precruise LA tourist stuff- Hotel

Pamangela

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off that way.

If I wasn't working and headed for Alaska in 12 days, I would gladly come and pick you up and show you around. Nope, I wouldn't even ask you to take me on your cruise. :)

Smiles........Kitty (Nan)

Didn't take it personally at all, Kitty. ;)

... And THANK YOU for that most generous offer!!! WOW! I think I am going to love Californians.... you are just so very sweet Kitty Nan! I might have taken you up on your offer, too! :D

..but Alaska sounds great- Enjoy!!!

Nice call on the Getty villas. I forgot that one. Both Getty's are amazing. Griffit Observ is a nice couple hour adventure. I do not know about a long or short tour at Warner Bros. I only did the studio tour, without any meals. I dont know if I have already or not recommended eating at Casa Vega in Sherman Oaks. It is on Ventura Blvd ( I believe at the corner of Fulton) Great food and I have always spotted some sort of celeb there. If your looking for something to do at night, you may want to check out the Groundlings Theater on Melrose. It is an Improvisational/sketch comedy show. You may run into celebs there, not to mention enjoy performances by some probabable future celebs. ALot of Talant has gone thru that theater. A trip to the Grove located On fairfax and 3rd (I think). It is a shopping center with courtyard. Coffee shops, restraunts, theater...ect..ect...Farmers market. Also a good place for celeb sighting.

You will not see alot if any celebs doing touristy stuff. Cause they are not tourist. So dont be dissapointed if you dont see any.

the enterprise car rental is now at the Crown Plaza..but, the hotel does

have a shuttle to the pier.

here s a idea..

you can get pretty good deal bidding on Priceline..many of us have gotten it for less than $100..enterprise is located there as well..rent the car and do what you want..

day of cruise you can just take the shuttle to the pier..

Pam,

I'll try to throw around some "no car" options...

[Of course, like all Angelenos, I have trouble conceiving of life in LA without a car]...

For three nights, I'd look at one of two options:

Universal City or Santa Monica...

Universal City (there's a Hilton and a Sheraton right in the Universal complex) puts you close to those sites you mentioned. You would likely have to get a cab to Warner Bros., but you could walk to Universal Studios, hang out at the very popular "Citywalk" at night...or go to one of my faves for dinner--Miceli's on Cahuenga)...You could get to Hollywood (Grauman's Chinese, Walk of Fame, Hollywood & Highland) by use of the Metro...For a larger tour of the stars' homes (as it were), the tour companies will pick you up at these hotels...You will need a shuttle service or taxi to take you from LAX to Universal and from Universal to the pier...An option here is to fly into Burbank Airport instead...a short shuttle or taxi ride away...

Santa Monica...I would use a tour company that picks up at the hotel to take a tour of Hollywood, Beverly Hills and so on...Warner Bros might be a little tough to do from here--an expensive cab ride...But nightlife abounds...Third Street Promenade, Santa Monica Pier...and you've got lots to do between here and Venice and Marina del Rey...plus the Santa Monica "Big Blue Bus" is one of the better public transit units in the area if you want to take atruip up to Westwood, Beverly Hills or the Getty...Again, you would need a shuttle LAX to Santa Monica and Santa Monica to the pier...

Hope that helps...

Steve I Love your outline.... now...

1) what hotels are suggested there (with maybe shuttles? or at least BREAKFAST!)

2) where the heck can I get a good map to map out all the places I want!!

Thanks for the info!!! you are all the best!

Steve I Love your outline.... now...

1) what hotels are suggested there (with maybe shuttles? or at least BREAKFAST!)

2) where the heck can I get a good map to map out all the places I want!!

Thanks for the info!!! you are all the best!

If you are looking for printed maps, the place I always go is the Auto Club...Los Angeles is so big that in order to get to street level detail, it requires several maps...The main tourist sites are mostly in their "Central and Western" area map--which includes Santa Monica, Hollywood, BeverlyHills, etc. and the "San Fernando Valley" map--which includes Universal City, Burbank, etc. You can also create and print maps using Google.maps and other internet sites...

Hotels in these two areas:

Universal:

As I noted before, there are a Hilton and a Sheraton right in the Universal complex...outside, but in the area, the more popular places to stay are the Sportsmen's Lodge and the Beverly Garland.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/search/hotel_detail.html?propertyID=83

The Sheraton has a "Shuttle Service within Surrounding Area (Limited)"...which I believe only takes you to places in the immediate area--including the Metro Station.

http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/BURUCHF-Hilton-Los-Angeles-Universal-City-California/index.do

I don't know if they priovide a shuttle.

http://www.beverlygarland.com/

They have a free shuttle to Universal, CityWalk and the Metro Station.

http://www.slhotel.com/

I don't know if the Sportsmen's Lodge provides a shuittle...it is a fair distance from the tourist sites--a little too far from Universal to walk...But I also know some of ny compadres here--like Curt Jerome Wild--are very high on the Sportsmen's Lodge as a place to stay in this area. It is close to shopping and restaurants...

Santa Monica:

A lot of my favorite hotels here are a bit on the "pricey" side...but incredibly well located...

http://www.loewshotels.com/en/Hotels/Santa-Monica-Beach-Hotel/Overview.aspx

http://www.fairmont.com/santamonica/

http://www.lemerigothotel.com/

http://www.shuttersonthebeach.com/

You are not going to find shuttles from these hotels...but they are all very convenient walking distance to the Santa Monica Pier, the Third Street Promenade, Palisades Park and the beach...

The area also has some more reasonably priced hotels of varying quality...

http://doubletree1.hilton.com/en_US/dt/hotel/SMOPCDT-Doubletree-Guest-Suites-Santa-Monica-California/index.do

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=Santa+Monica+hotels&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&view=text&ei=FmiVSurHJZXKNa_rsPoH&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=more-results&resnum=1

Check out reviews on this board by Curt Jerome Wild...he has actually researched many of these hotels...and ones in nearby Venice--just down the beach...

There are lots of choices...

Good luck...

Ah Steve...TY.... I've just looked into your hotel suggestions and find them way above my budget.

We took the boards advice and rented a car, so we are not locked in to public transit.

any other suggestions?

Which is better location for a hotel ...Santa Monica or Universal City/LA?

Ah Steve...TY.... I've just looked into your hotel suggestions and find them way above my budget.

We took the boards advice and rented a car, so we are not locked in to public transit.

any other suggestions?

Which is better location for a hotel ...Santa Monica or Universal City/LA?

I like Santa Monica better...better weather, more restaurant choices...at the beach...

Here are some more reasonable hotel links courtesy of my compadre Curt Jerome Wild:

These are IN Santa Monica...and lots cheaper than the ones I gave you before (that was the "luxury" tier):

The Hotel California

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=451075

Cal Mar Suites

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=423818

Holiday Inn

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=699622

That Holiday Inn isn't great, but it's reasonably priced and walking distance to attractions...It is right on the Freeway, though...

These are Curt's suggestions in Venice--the beach town just South of Santa Monica--a little "funkier"...If you've ever watched the classic "California" beach clips in movies and on TV--the girls roller skating in bikinis, the muscle guys lifting weights on the beach, the bicyclists, the street entertainers, etc.--THAT is Venice Beach...

Jamaica Bay Inn

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=679886

Inn at Venice Beach

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=679916

Foghorn Inn

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=724713

Hope maybe one of these fits your budget and strikes your fancy...

I am just starting to plan my early dec trip. Based on other threads I believe I am going to fly into LAX, take Super Shuttle to San Pedro and stay at either Crown or Doubletree, depending on which one Priceline gives me. I also wanted to fly in a few days ahead, and I do not want to rent a car. I can't imagine there is not something like a Grayline Tour bus that would do major tourist sights. Will contact the hotel when I book to see what they know, and continue reading cruise critic (and trip advisor).

Thanks again for all the input. I try to help put folks that cruise out of Port Canaveral since I live closeby.

Fran

I also wanted to fly in a few days ahead, and I do not want to rent a car. I can't imagine there is not something like a Grayline Tour bus that would do major tourist sights.

Fran,

There is only one tour provider that picks up at San Pedro/Long Beach area hotels:

http://www.sunseekertours.us/

I would contact them about a Hollywood/LA tour. They do an 8 hour tour for $79 pp and are based in Long Beach...

The other tour companies usually only pick up from Hollywood and West Side hotels.

Depending on how many days you are planning on spending, there are other things you can do using taxis (which will be expensive)...or even public buses if you are daring and adventurous...

Remember, you are quite a distance from most of the major LA area tourist spots...

You can reasonably spend a day, if you like, in Long Beach...it's only a 6 mile taxi ride away and has attractions like the Queen Mary, the Aquarium of the Pacific and a very touristy couple of shopping/restaurant areas in Shoreline Village and the Pike...You only need a taxi back and forth...getting around Long Beach is easy on the free "Passport" shuttle...

Another easy day trip from San Pedro if you are there multiple days is the boat across to Catalina Island...

http://catalinaexpress.com/

This leaves right out of San Pedro and only takes about an hour to an hour and a half in each direction...

Good luck...

eye yi yi....

OK advice people!!!

Updated DH on possible hotel ideas... in Santa Monica. I narrowed it down to three (I thought very good) choices... but now he has THINKS he wants to stay right in the heart of LA- *holding hands in the air!*

....and we do have the car rental.

So, I plead, please...

Ideas in the LA area so we can walk outside and enjoy the evening. I think CJW, TX & Steve had some good ideas in the begining of this post----

I'm sorry- I am getting sooo perplexed. (still hoping to convince Santa Monica= nice choice, but... for now) I need more ideas.

He would love:

similar to Sportsman -( heated Pool, parking included and maybe continental breakfast in hotel?) but Sportsman is not really near anything much. Or am I wrong?

thanks to everyone for all your previous help. Still might go back to these

Edited by Pamangela

I know of a few hotels, but have never stayed in any of them.

There's a Holiday Inn Express in Century City on Olympic Blvd. It is probably about 1/3 to 1/2 a mile to the Westfield Century City, an open air mall with a movie theater.

There's a boutique hotel in Beverly Hills called Maison 140, it's a converted apartment building next to a residential area. But it is within decent walking distance of some shopping. I was curious and checked the rates, they're not bad, given the area.

There are 2 hotels in Culver City within walking distance of Howard Hughes Center, and the Westfield Fox Hills (though you have to walk under the freeway.) They are a Radisson and a Four Points. The Four Points is on the same side of the freeway as the Westfield and the Radisson is on the same side as Howard Hughes Center.

I have not read reviews on any of these hotels, so these are not endorsements, just what I know of that may have good rates.

eye yi yi....but now he has THINKS he wants to stay right in the heart of LA- *[/i]holding hands in the air!*

....and we do have the car rental.

...please... Ideas in the LA area so we can walk outside and enjoy the evening...

Pam, here's the deal:

You cannot look at LA like any other city you may know...

Maybe you could say we're "heartless"...

Most cities in the world are built around a central "Downtown"...most of the business, the jobs, the culture, etc. is there...with residential areas spreading out from spokes all radiating in toward the hub...Everyone commutes into downtown to work, then back out to the suburbs to live...

NYC, with Manhattan as the hub, fits that model...

But NOT LA...

LA has been described as 100 small cities run together...

There are dozens of "Downtowns" spread all over the megalopolis...

Here's the historical version of how LA came to be this way:

LA started out in not one, but three or more locations...

Father Junipero Serra and the Franciscans founded Missions where they found large groups of Native Americans living, each a day's travel apart (in 1700s terms)...But, because of the natural drinkable water situation, the Amerinds did not live along the coast, but inland, at the base of the mountains--where the streams flowed down. So, Missions were built at San Gabriel and at San Fernando--both in inland valleys....The, the Spanish always sent soldiers to protect the Missions--usually near each Mission...But, neither of these Missions were considered very important, so they decided to build just one Presidio (Fort) to cover both...and placed it roughly halfway between--in what is now Downtown Los Angeles.

The Spanish also handed out large tracts of land (Ranchos) to wealthy individuals...and this pretty much divided up the area amongs several different families...Each of these families eventually choosing to subdivide and sell off their holdings at various and seemingly arbitrary times (The last such Rancho to be developed being the Irvine Ranch in Orange County, giving rise to the relatively new city of Irvine)...

With the actual Los Angeles being far inland and of no particular economic value (other than being along the Los Angeles River where it once emerged from underground at the Glendale Narrows), other nearby cities grew in importance depending on where they were located and by who. San Pedro and Long Beach had economic importance--actually controlling the harbor and international trade and shipping (so much that in the early 1900s, the City of Los Angeles annexed the City of San Pedro so as to control at least half of the harbor).

Santa Monica and Venice grew in importance as beach resorts...Beverly Hills came into existence and grew just as the very lucrative Motion Picture business was taking hold in the city...The moviebusiness grew so wealthy and controlled great pieces of land...so that, at one point or another, they were able to develop some of their studio lots into mini-downtowns--giving birth to Century City (20th Century Fox) and Warner Center (Warner Bros.)...

As each small city grew, they pretty much spread out into one contiguous megalopolis...but with functional "Downtowns" in Downtown LA, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Century City, Warner Center, Pasadena, Newport Beach, Long Beach and other places...

Remember the movie Chinatown? The Water District scandals? Insiders knowing where the water was going buying up land for personal gain? Based on a true story--though misplced a little in time for theatrical effect--actually took place in the 1910s...And, part of the deal became that if a city wanted in on the water supply--that was owned by the City of LA--they had to allow themselves to be annexed into the City...Many cities bought in...others--like Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Culver City, etc. did not (they had independent water sources)--even though they are now completely surrounded by the City of LA. So, when you look at a map of LA, the city limits make very little aesthetic sense...

Historical sites, Cultural Centers, Museums, tourist attractions and other sites are pretty much spread out as well...

So...there is no "central" LA...at least not in a tourism sense...

The movie industry started in Hollywood (Paramount Studios and others), so a lot of the old show biz attractions are there--Walk of Fame, Grauman's Chinese, etc. But the movie and TV industry today has mostly moved north of there to the Universal City/Burbank Area...so, a lot of the current production, tours, theme park stuff are in that area...

But, a lot of the original tourism areas were the beach cities--so, from Redondo in the South Bay up to Malibu is really the hot tourism area--with Santa Monica and Venice at its heart...and tourist sites like the Venice Boardwalk, the Santa Monica Pier and the Third Street Promenade are found along the Western edge of the city...

LA's great benefactors--the folks who gave us art museums and such--generally placed these where they themselves lived. Huntington and Simon in the Pasadena area, J Paul Getty lived in Pacific Palisades (between Malibu and Santa Monica)--so he (or his foundation) put his museums there (the Villa at his own home, the later Getty Center just inland at Brentwood along the 405)...

So, when you say your dh wants to stay "right in the heart of LA", he needs to realize there is no such place that will make any sense to anyone...Santa Monica or Hollywood or Burbank or several other places are just as much the "heart of LA" as any place...

None of us locals will ever recommend you stay in Downtown LA--although there are a few choice historical sites in the area--it's just not a very tourist-friendly place to stay...

Santa Monica is actually fairly convenient to a good portion of tourist areas and is more pedestrian friendly than most places in the city...

Staying in Beverly Hills or West Hollywood or in the Fairfax District may make you a little more centrally located, but also a little more crowded and urban...and not necessarily with as much to comfortably walk to...

With a rental car, you may also want to look into whether a hotel charges for parking--in some locales it could get expensive...

IOW, you may be looking for something that doesn't exist...

I went to AAA and got a tour book yesterday and I agree there is plenty to do in San Pedro and Long Beach. Defintely want to do the Queen Mary and the Aquarium. San Pedro has an excellent web site with lots of info. I don't mind using a city bus, when I was in Anaheim a few years ago I took the city bus down to Malibu, another one to Long Beach, and had a blast. I am narrowing options down. Seems super shuttle from LAX to San Pedro, price line at Crown or DBT. The ship has a post cruise tour of LA that is only $46 and drops off at LAX, where I can get a shuttle to a local hotel and fly home the next day.

Have you taken the Cataline Express over to the island?? How rough is it?? Don't want to get sick before my cruise :).

Thanks for info.

Fran

Pam, here's the deal:

You cannot look at LA like any other city you may know...

Maybe you could say we're "heartless"...

IOW, you may be looking for something that doesn't exist...

:eek: W O W!!! :eek:

All I can say after reading your review, Steve.....

You basically kicked my DH's butt with your very full, very informative and extremely detailed and enlightening review!!! I think you convinced him that it's either Santa Monica(Cal Mar or SeaView with balcony) or else, Sportsman Lodge... even though it seems kind of remotely located.

Thank you for your time and trouble!! And I sincerely mean this. This "West Coast Board" has been most interesting one with what I believe the most knowledgeable advisers .... referring to both you and Curt-CJW. I bow to both of you. :)

Again....WOW. Thank you!!

:eek: W O W!!! :eek:

All I can say after reading your review, Steve.....

Yes, my compadre Steve is awesome at such info!

You basically kicked my DH's butt with your very full, very informative and extremely detailed and enlightening review!!! I think you convinced him that it's either Santa Monica(Cal Mar or SeaView with balcony) or else,

I really recommend CalMar over SeaView, just so you know...

The location is simply better, and if that's an issue for your DH, then it's only one block from the Third Street Promenade in Downtown Santa Monica.

Sportsman Lodge... even though it seems kind of remotely located.

I personally love this hotel, and think it could be what you are looking for in a central location.

It's very close to Universal, Hollywood, and the WB Studios. Very easy to drive to Getty Center and Beverly Hills from there.

If you can wait a bit (until later tonight or tomorrow) - then I can post a bunch of actual pictures of it, and links to some reports of people who stayed there...

It's a great choice for the money.

Thank you for your time and trouble!! And I sincerely mean this. This "West Coast Board" has been most interesting one with what I believe the most knowledgeable advisers .... referring to both you and Curt-CJW. I bow to both of you. :)

Again....WOW. Thank you!!

I'll check back later, and add the Sportsmen's Lodge info and pics if you want.

I absolutely will wait, Curt.

And I thank you, too, for going the extra "miles" you're going for advice and help. I also read that there was the red line(?) (or some public mean of transportation) available from Sportsman?

Even though we rented a car, DH & I enjoy a relaxing drink or two :D in the evening and neither one of us will ever drive with a drink. Getting out of the hotel (we're in CA for three nights) and enjoying nightlife is kind of 'up there'.

[..and feel quite honored for this personalized help and advice. :o

You both are just wonderful and an asset to CA tourism! ]

Again, many thanks to both of you for your continued experience/ knowledge/advice!

Yes, my compadre Steve is awesome at such info!

I really recommend CalMar over SeaView, just so you know....

OOPsa.. I had meant "Ocean View" (with front balcony room only) not SeaView...

...but I think Sportsman's Lodge just has enough pluses for us- and the least costly of the three-

Okay, so let me copy and paste some info on Sportsmen's Lodge from past posts, where I helped people with Sportsmen's Lodge planning:

Okay, so here is a tentative plan on this trip without a car...

Fly into LAX early Wednesday.

Get a SuperShuttle from LAX to The Sportsman's Lodge in Studio City (Hollywood). It will be $64 for 4 people.

On an early Wednesday it should only take you 30 to 45 minutes (no freeway traffic).

Check in.

Again here is the link to my pictures and review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...php?p=12760409

Over the next two days, if you see a big bus, or any big semi trucks parked in any of the various parking lots - it means that there is a big musical act staying at the hotel.

Sportsman's Lodge is one of the few nice hotels in the Hollywood area that has parking lots big enough to hold the tour buses.

These will be people who are playing The Universal Amphitheater, The Hollywood Bowl, or The Greek Theater.

At any point right next to The Sportsman's Lodge is Jerry's Famous Deli.

www.jerrysfamousdeli.com

p_03.jpg

Open 24 hours. Huge menu. It's a hangout for young Hollywood and all the various workers from the nearby movie studios. You never know who you could see there.

There is also Carney's which is a lunchtime quick food hangout...

http://www.carneytrain.com/

2795861240079337728iqFeka_th.jpg

There's also Pinz bowling center right near there...

http://www.pinzbowlingcenter.com/

51d66586d74d1f8a571407d54811f8f7.jpg

If you are a fan of either Desperate Housewives or Scrubs, this is the bowling alley they use on those shows for filming.

Then, if that is not enough...

Sportsman's Lodge will give you a free shuttle back and forth to Universal Studios!

Why is this good for you?

Take that free shuttle and head up to Universal City Walk Hollywood.

Dinner. Cool shopping.

http://www.citywalkhollywood.com/

8249a185c4c37f312bb57fcb28f0e0d6.jpg

If you want from there, you can hop on the Red Line train and take it one stop to Hollywood and Highland for more food and shopping.

www.hollywoodandhighland.com

870a42d44ed0295b7e6397391ec467d9.jpeg

Of course that is an lot for one day, but I wanted to give you options.

You could save Hollywood and Highland for Thursday as well, and just enjoy the incredible pool at the Sportsman's Lodge. Best hotel pool in LA.

And just to give you some perspective...

e54822a52cf7ea8a38de71f256469248.jpg

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=16565470&postcount=39

More to follow...

Edited by Curt Jerome Wild

Thursday...

Get one of the Hollywood Tours from Red Line Tours (absolutely best most knowledgeable Hollywood Tours).

http://www.redlinetours.com/

Check one of the value packages! You will get everything you want.

This one The Hollywood Movie Star Experience is everything you need!

http://www.redlinetours.com/redline/hmse_weekdays.php

It includes Sony Studios during the week (when you are there) and it is one of the best real working studios around. Less touristy, more real.

You will be walking around studios and soundstages!

Check that out.

It should take all day.

Here's the tentative itinerary from their information:

Weekday Itinerary (Mon - Fri)

The Hollywood Movie Star Experience is a Partnership between Starline Tours, Red Line Tours & Sony Pictures Studios.

This is the only tour that gives visitors the complete picture of Hollywood: from a look inside the original movie palaces, nightclubs, hotels and Oscar venues, to a tour of one of Hollywood’s most famous studios, to a look at where the stars of today party, shop and live. It is your best chance to see a star!

Proposed Itinerary (all timings below are approximate):

8.00am - 9.15am

Hotel Pick-ups. Drive-in customers may park and pick up bus at Chinese Theatre at 8:45am.

IMPORTANT: After you purchase your tour youu must call Starline Tours at (800) 959-3131 to reserve your seat on the tour coach. This is a requirement regardless of whether you are driving to the start point or if you are being picked up from your hotel.

9.15am - 9.30am

Starline to transfer/load tour buses at Jane’s House (Starline Terminal)

9:30am - 11:15am

Star Homes Tour including Sunset Strip and Rodeo Drive

11:15am - 11:45am

Drop off passengers at Sony Studios on Culver Blvd. for Food Break,

Security Check-in & Rest Break

11:45am - 12:45pm

Walking "highlights tour" of Sony Pictures Studios

8cae1662e08fe4ebe816f63a486f97d4.jpg

12:45pm - 1:15pm

Pick up passengers at Overland exit to Sony Studios & Transport to

Hollywood & Highland

1:15pm - 2:15pm

Time for lunch and shopping at Hollywood & Highland

2:15pm - 3:30pm

Red Line Tours “Historic Hollywood Tour" including:

• Grauman’s Chinese Theatre (where stars' handprints and footprints are immortalized in cement).
  • Disney’s El Capitan (with its fully restored 1926 interior)
  • Egyptian Theatre (the birthplace of the movie premiere)
  • The Prohibition Speakeasy for the Embassy Club where the stars drank.
  • The home of the first Oscar ceremony

3:30pm

Return directly to Hotels (except Woodland Hills returning at 6pm). If visitors wish to stay in Hollywood to shop at Hollywood and Highland, they will have to make their own way back to their hotels.

Hang out more at Hollywood and Highland. You are so close there that you can easily do more shopping on Hollywood Blvd. and around the area.

It is perfectly safe there and very touristy during the day.

45fbdcd44c717f7ef4d8f7789f5fb869.jpg

To get back to your hotel, you all can just hop in a taxi (probably about $10 bucks) or take the Red Line Metro Train to Universal again.

f882f036c0b23aa09374e7c95249d157.jpg

Call The Sportsman's Lodge. They will pick you up from there with their free shuttle.

And here's their report when they returned...

Just wanted to come back and give you a thumbs up after staying at the Sportsmens Lodge in Studio City. We loved the hotel, loved the pool (just as you said) and the whole area that we were in. It was a great suggestion and to be honest, I was a little skeptical from the beginning and even moreso when we pulled into the parking lot. But once inside, I wasn't disappointed at all. We even saw Brett Michaels at our hotel! So thanks again for all your help in planning our trip to the West Coast.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=972096

Here are some of my pictures of the actual hotel:

f4cce602c3a1a9ad75c1999a8be282a6.jpg

http://www.froggypic.com/image/08/f4cce602c3a1a9ad75c1999a8be282a6.jpg

9d23693b3eb8f68fe166a93cd45b9599.jpg

http://www.froggypic.com/image/08/9d23693b3eb8f68fe166a93cd45b9599.jpg

c49a0110c97c412e23472a449cc2e4d1.jpg

http://www.froggypic.com/image/08/c49a0110c97c412e23472a449cc2e4d1.jpg

ce7dbf00ec161d97c1df8bfd44ebdd7a.jpg

http://www.froggypic.com/image/08/ce7dbf00ec161d97c1df8bfd44ebdd7a.jpg

things nearby...

43e01d7a39f594f9a5693ae937cc102a.jpg

http://www.froggypic.com/image/08/43e01d7a39f594f9a5693ae937cc102a.jpg

Now, they have a free shuttle to and from Universal - so you can go back and forth to any Universal City Walk restaurants/bars without a car.

From there you can easily take the Red Line to Hollywood and Highland, which is quite happening at night now (or you can even take the Starline Hop On Hop Off Bus which will take you all around Hollywood and Beverly Hills - and to some great clubs and restaurants near Sunset Plaza).

Whenever you get back to the Universal stop, just call Sportsmen's Lodge and they'll come pick you up. They are really great if you aren't driving a car.

I'll be gone for a few days, but will check back later.

Hope this helps.

Be sure to look at all the different rates online when booking Sportsmen's Lodge (AAA, Early Saver, etc.)

to Curt:

Mwwwahhh! Seriously, you are the BEST! :D

...and with what ever decision we make, [-because I'm going to check out your choice #2 -]

I do promise a thorough review ...PLUS lots of pics!

Edited by Pamangela

...book rental car? *check!*

_________________with Enterprise! for under a hundred for three days!

...book hotel? *check!*

________________ Sportsmen Lodge! Was looking at Best Western, but couldn't find it for under $146/night + $20-parking. Sportsmen? great price + $10-parking.

....plan where we're going? *uhhhhhh... still planning just the 'right' combo, But(!) Just might take the one day and a half out to do all of your POI on Curt's drive tourist view!

_______________THANK YOU again for all the wonderful guidance and advice.

I WILL be posting opinions...

OPINION/REVIEW:I already have one: hotels dot com told em last night they'd honor another's site price and if I hadn't double checked it tonight, I would have been OVERcharged $120+ MORE. I canceled THAt reservation asap. Got to say two reps I spoke to were just not helpful or lied. I better not have to wait for my prepayment to appear back on my charge card. I canceled due to their INEPT person I spoke to last night at 2:30 AM... and lied to me!

And tonight? A pretty rude person who gave me a song-and-a-dance.

Edited by Pamangela

...book hotel? *check!*

________________ Sportsmen Lodge! Was looking at Best Western, but couldn't find it for under $146/night + $20-parking. Sportsmen? great price + $10-parking.

....plan where we're going? *uhhhhhh... still planning just the 'right' combo, But(!) Just might take the one day and a half out to do all of your POI on Curt's drive tourist view!

_______________THANK YOU again for all the wonderful guidance and advice.

I'm so excited for you!

It is one of the few true Hollywood Hotels left, and still in great service!

When you are there on the balcony, overlooking the pool, just realize that you are in the same place that Elvis hung out, and the Rat Pack!

Very few of those original hotels left!

Let me know if you need or want any further sightseeing info before your trip.

Take lots of pics by the pool, keep your eye out for any tour buses in the parking lot - as that means there are some music stars at the hotel.;)

Don't forget to use the wonderful free shuttle to and from Universal when you need...

Oh!

http://www.casavega.com/

Casa Vega for walking distance local hangout - possible celebrity sightings.:D

I'm so excited for you!

It is one of the few true Hollywood Hotels left, and still in great service!

When you are there on the balcony, overlooking the pool, just realize that you are in the same place that Elvis hung out, and the Rat Pack!

Very few of those original hotels left!

Let me know if you need or want any further sightseeing info before your trip.

Take lots of pics by the pool, keep your eye out for any tour buses in the parking lot - as that means there are some music stars at the hotel.;)

Don't forget to use the wonderful free shuttle to and from Universal when you need...

Oh!

http://www.casavega.com/

Casa Vega for walking distance local hangout - possible celebrity sightings.:D

Oh wlll now you got me even MORE excited! ELVIS stayed at Sportsmens Lodge, too!??? WOW. I happen to see Elvis in concert here on LI... although he was in his heavier days! (yeah, I was a teenager then). Someone posted that you can park in the street and not get hit with parking charges. Any fact to that?

Hopefully all that street flooding is over. Here in NY? That might take weeks to fix!

Casa Vega! Will def do that, too!!! Thank you for the suggestion. I did not know!

And we do have that rental car, except the other eves we might rely on public transportation so neither one of us has to drive. I just need to make sure I can find the closest place to return it near the pier.

...and I would LOVE to bring home a story that I chatted with someone famous. One memorable time I had once was sitting at the bar with Richard Marx's ("Right Here Waiting" & "Should've Known Better") band up in Atlantic City. And also chatted with Richard numerous times at a M&G. (I'm a HUGE Marx fan-atic). I jusr want a good story to bring home to BRAG about with my friends and will need and ASK for a pic with them!!!

Anyway, by all means, I am so open for suggestions.

I am so in for Warner Brothers & the whole walk of fame/Mann's Theatre & one evening at the Santa Monica Pier. And would love to see some of the Hollywood glitzy homes and sites.

Please Curt. I respect your advice!!!

...and as I said, I will most definitely take pictures.. and give reviews.

As you can see, i love to "talk".