Fleece in MDR?

LindaKE

Would a fleece suit, pants with hem not cuff and button jacket over a top, be considered workout clothes for the MDR at night? I'm trying to figure out what to wear in case our luggage isn't delivered in time on the first night. In Boston in October, I'll probably think the fleece feels good since I get cold easily.

Would a fleece suit, pants with hem not cuff and button jacket over a top, be considered workout clothes for the MDR at night? I'm trying to figure out what to wear in case our luggage isn't delivered in time on the first night. In Boston in October, I'll probably think the fleece feels good since I get cold easily.

Call it what you will, but sweats are sweats...

Most of the time, you can get away with wearing what you wear to board the ship to dinner on the first day. If you'll be wearing something that would not be appropriate for the MDR, you should pack a change of clothing in your carry-on for dinner.

...BTW, it is always a good idea to have a change of clothes in your carry on just in case your main luggage is delayed.

Yes, it probably would be considered work-out clothes. You may well get away with it the first night -- every cruise line is a little lax on their dress code on the first night, in case folks don't get their luggage "in time", but please don't think it appropriate to wear other nights in the main dining room.

"In time" is relative, of course. With freestyle dining on NCL, there is no set time for dinner...so if your luggage is a bit late, you can always delay a bit. Or as the others suggested, a change of clothes in your carry-on that might be more appropriate is an excellent option any time you travel, and risk losing luggage.

Getting cold easily can happen on those fall cruises. I have a wool scarf that folds down to "almost nothing" that gets thrown into my carryon. Comes in handy on chilly airplanes as well as cold dining rooms.

When I cruised on the Jewel last October, we boarded at noon and all our luggage was in our cabin by 2:30.

We always pack a change of clothes in our carry on. Usually something nice enough to wear to a nice restaurant. No suits of course, but something decent.

Something we would never have to "ask if this is okay".

Hmmmm... maybe I just came across something. New thought:

If you have to ASK,then maybe it is not appropriate.

(yes, for those true freestylers, this is your darn cruise and you can wear any darn thing you darn well want to wear and if those darn people do not like it, then they can go to H E double L L, darn it!)

O.K. I just asked because the one I was looking at really looked like a nice casual pants set that would be comfortable to travel in. The pants looked like any other pair of casual, pull-on slacks, and the embroidered, button front jacket had no cuffs and no hood. If it hadn't been made of fleece, it would never have even dawned on me that it shouldn't be worn in the MDR on the less rigid first night.

I tried to wear a pair of shorts to the MDR one evening and they gently pulled me aside and said it was against the rules. The girl was very kind about it and with the way it was presented to me, there was no problem running up to the cabin and quickly changing while they held my group's table.

So, my opinion is to go ahead and give it a try. If you are comfortable and think you look nice, maybe they will think that, too!

And, if they don't, I'll bet they'll be gentle with you.

I tried to wear a pair of shorts to the MDR one evening and they gently pulled me aside and said it was against the rules. The girl was very kind about it and with the way it was presented to me, there was no problem running up to the cabin and quickly changing while they held my group's table.

So, my opinion is to go ahead and give it a try. If you are comfortable and think you look nice, maybe they will think that, too!

And, if they don't, I'll bet they'll be gentle with you.

Same thing happened to us. Second night of 13-night TA cruise, we didn't know about the no jeans rule, and they gently pulled us aside and told my DP he wouldn't be able to go into the Grand Pacific MDR in his jeans. He didn't bring any other style of pants (our last cruise before that was Alaska, where jeans were always allowed [also before Freestyle 2.0] so we didn't realize), so we ate in Magenta (smaller MDR) most of the time.

But they were very kind about it. Hey, their ship, their rules. I salute them for enforcing it.

AND as someone else said, they're very forgiving on the first night. That's why we didn't know about the no jeans rule--we both wore jeans into the Grand Pacific for the first night. Like others have said, your bags might be late on first night, so they're sort of lenient.

--Michael

I've seen some very nice looking pant suits made in a variety of knits, including fleece. Perhaps it's because I live in a climate that gets colder than -50 at least once a year, but in my opinion, there is a difference between sweat pants and casual pants that just happen to have a fleece lining. I owned a vest and pant set when I was pregnant that was a very pretty blue fleece and I wore it out many times that year, as well as to work.

Just like denim, it's just another fabric. The important thing is presentation.

Both DD and I wore lululemon yoga pants to main dining rooms on several occasions. They are comfy, hemmed, loose (except in the right places). Modern workout wear is very stylish and not the elastic waist/cuffs of days gone by. Be warm. Be comfortable. If you wear a nice top with them and don't look like you came from the gym (hair, makeup of whatever), I bet no one will know what the fabric is.

Both DD and I wore lululemon yoga pants to main dining rooms on several occasions. They are comfy, hemmed, loose (except in the right places). Modern workout wear is very stylish and not the elastic waist/cuffs of days gone by. Be warm. Be comfortable. If you wear a nice top with them and don't look like you came from the gym (hair, makeup of whatever), I bet no one will know what the fabric is.

Oh, my---- workout pants for dinner in the MDR. NCL is getting really casual! I don't miss the formal nights at all when I cruise NCL, but I still like to see people make a little effort to look nice for dinner. I also don't mind a neat pair of jeans. In my opinion only, you can dress them up with a nice top but they are still workout pants, and belong more in the gym than the MDR.

On the first night out, the dress code is relaxed. They are aware that it sometimes takes luggage a while to get to pax rooms.

To enforce the dress-code when it could well be impossible for a passenger to do anything about it would be toad-like on their part, so they don't do it.

Just like denim, it's just another fabric. The important thing is presentation.

That's how I feel as well. If your fleece "outfit" looks presentable enough to meet NCL's description of "resort casual", it would be fine by me! I have a very nice pants outfit made of waffle knit that is not only "resort casual", but "business casual" as well. I have also seen fleece outfits that are quite nice.

It's pretty hard for anyone here to make a fair statement without actually seeing it. Otherwise that image of a "workout suit" comes to mind for some. But I suspect I know what you're talking about and doubt it should be a problem. :)

Before you make fun of CanadaFour you might wan to google lululemon pants. They are yoga pants that go for $100 a pair and are really stylish with the right shoes and top. It's not like wearing sweatpants. I don't have the pleasure of owning any, I just work in a rich mall.

Before you make fun of CanadaFour you might wan to google lululemon pants. They are yoga pants that go for $100 a pair and are really stylish with the right shoes and top. It's not like wearing sweatpants. I don't have the pleasure of owning any' date=' I just work in a rich mall.[/quote']

They may cost $100/pair but they are still workout pants---- just fancier ones. I still don't think workout pants and sweat pants belong in the MDR for a nice dinner, no matter how much you paid or dress them up.

Before you make fun of CanadaFour you might wan to google lululemon pants. They are yoga pants that go for $100 a pair and are really stylish with the right shoes and top. It's not like wearing sweatpants. I don't have the pleasure of owning any' date=' I just work in a rich mall.[/quote']

My only comment on this whole subject is that I honestly could not care what someone wears to dinner as long as it covers up enough of their body and it is clean (free of smells). What never fails to amaze me is how people justify what they wear by how much it cost. Cost does not make something appropriate or inappropriate. No flame intended at all from me. Just pointing out that the fact her pants cost $100.00 does not influence them being ok to wear in the MDR. Being a big guy my clothes always cost a lot of money and I probably have shorts that cost close to $100.00 but they are not appropriate for the MDR. Someone in slacks and a shirt who got them at their local discount store and paid $30.00 on everything they have on from head to toe would be more appropriate than I would be in shorts.

Just because they are expensive still doesn't make them pretty. They were made for gym/workout wear and I don't call fine dining working out. Although some at the troughs would argue this point.

And lets face it the retail market reallcaters to one sex and they will pay whatever if they like it.

I think this is the misconception. The outfit the OP described - in my opinion - is not for working out. It's definitely a fleece pantsuit, but the jacket doesn't sound like exercise wear - do you work out in a buttoned jacket? She didn't say 'hoodie', she said 'jacket'. Of course, I agree with whichever poster said we'd really have to see it to know, so I'm just talking about what I pictured when I read the description. (as I'm sure everyone is) I posted earlier in the thread that I had a very nice maternity outfit made out of fleece - it was most definitely NOT workout wear, it just happened to be constructed out of fleece.

I'm sure my point of view is influenced by the fact that I sew, and so the way I look at it, you can make pretty much anything out of any fabric you want (within reason). As for yoga pants, I have a pair that I wear under a very nice dress (wore it out for my anniversary on Wednesday and got compliments all night). It's a beautiful, printed and beaded black georgette with kimono sleeves that falls just above my knee, and I prefer it with the pants - which are a black silky knit. I have never and will never work out in these pants. I also have some palazzo pants that are made of a similar fabric.

My point is that style is style, function is function, and fabric is... well... just fabric. Constructing something out of fleece does not make it 'sweats'. Dance or yoga pants can be beautiful garments that are never worn (or in some cases intended) for dancing or yoga. In short, what something LOOKS like is much more important than what it is made of or what the technical term for its design is.

For example: Should a woman wear a babydoll to the main dining room? The answer would depend on what kind of babydoll it is: lingerie, tee shirt, top, dress...? I've got at least one of each; one of the dresses is black crepe with a sequined bodice, which was certainly acceptable when I wore it on the Pearl in January; I didn't bother to pack any of the lingerie.

Perhaps the OP could provide us with a picture of the outfit in question... at least that way we'd be giving informed opinions rather than speculating based on our ideas of what fleece 'looks like'.

It,s your cruise you paid for it.

Totally irrelevant as to whether something is appropriate or not. Paying for something does not guarantee the payer 100% control over all other aspects of a business relationship, or grant the payer complete infallibility and absolution of all responsibility.

I'm the OP. I tried to copy the picture from the catalog, but it must have some sort of protection because the script copied, but the picture didn't. Based on what I hear you saying, it would probably be acceptable, at least for the first night, but since some would find it offensive, it will be better to not wear it. Sorry to stir up a hornets nest. Thanks everyone.

gee you didnt even see a picture of it...quick to judge hard to tell when you dont even know what it looks like...lots of ACCEPTABLE SWEATs out there....hey WEAR it if it makes you feel GOOD--first night especially

Really? Never seen a pair. Sweats belong in the gym.....or on Gwen Stefani...but rarely anyplace else.

Based on what I hear you saying, it would probably be acceptable, at least for the first night, but since some would find it offensive, it will be better to not wear it.

In my experience, the dress code on the first night is just barely "no shoes, no shirt, no service." So I'd say you can safely wear the outfit in question on the first night, and then ask the hostess if it would be appropriate on other nights. That should resolve the issue without rubbing anyone the wrong way.

I have a pare of black windpants that I occasionally wear in the MDR (with a polo shirt). They have no obvious "athletic" markings or features, and from 5 feet way are indistinguishable from other types of casual pants. I've never had a problem with these and I point this out simply to demonstrate that the overall look is probably more important than the specific function.

Really? Never seen a pair. Sweats belong in the gym.....or on Gwen Stefani...but rarely anyplace else.

Really-- are you changing your position on dress in the main dining room--

what makes them different than baggy shorts, a tank top, and a backwards

baseball cap--in fact they may be even better in appearance.

Big Green

Archived