we take this way too seriously

travelgyalrox2

I'm talking about cruising, or rather, www.cruisecritic.com

Does anybody else think that too much of these boards makes u forget what cruising is really about (just....fun !) when its actually supposed to make u know more? but it is addictive...

Not me. I do take planning vacations, cruising and otherwise, seriously. Once I'm there, the works been done and I can kick back and really relax.

You are right, we sometimes go overboard on expressing subjective option as if that is Truth Incarnate.

But cc provides a lot of good info and it's just fun to take part in for many of us. Keeps we thinking about cruising in between cruises!

As to the complaint-type threads:

Some people think it makes them sound sophisticated if they knitpick ships and cruises; others, I'm afraid, are laying our their plans to ask for compensation for a torn carpet that ruined their cruise.

Others have legit complaints that need to be passed on.

You can usually tell the rationale for the complaint-type threads.

Most threads though are just fun or informative.

Denny

I've found a lot of the information here very helpful to me, an occasional cruiser. I picked up a lot of small tidbits from the veterans that really improved my vacation this summer.

What fascinates me are the brand advocates. There are posters who vehemently defend their cruise line of choice against any and all critics. As a professional marketer myself, I'm envious of the marketing folks at the cruise lines who have direct access to their most vocal and loyal customers. What a gift!

I use Cruise Critic to plan and help me when I need to know something about the places we will be visiting. It is helpful to get advise from people who have been there and done that, when we are going someplace for the first time. Example, we will be going to England next year and I feel, thanks to the information, I have gathered on here, that we can make the most of our time there and make our own way to the port. I am greatful there are those who share their experiences so we may not make the same mistakes and save money and/r time.

No, these boards don't make me forget in the least all the reasons we love to cruise and what cruising is all about for us. Learned a long time ago that one can't take some of the post here too seriously or personally. There is from time to time facts posted but most of the info is opinion which of coarse is always subject to personal preferences, thoughts, and experiences. :)

it is not the cruise. Not the cruise line. Not the food. Not the ports. Not the potential problems. It's the time spent on the boards trying to pass the time before we go. Drives us all nuts. That's part of the allure of cruising. Ain't it great??? Harry :cool:

Yes.

Of course we take it way to seriously at times, but it's great fun to do it anyway.

And, while I never use CC to plan a trip, I've used it to get information about various ports and to plan private excursions with others from a roll call and a whole bunch of other things. And I share my oh-so serious :eek: opinions at times, too!

I've also made some good friends - not from cruising but here on CC - and have even met some of them in person now.

I'm hopelessly addicted to CC, even when I don't have a cruise booked :rolleyes:

There are some who take it all too seriously, some who don't take it seriously enough and some who just love to criticise people as sport.

Besides being informative it can be very entertaining.

I think it's lots of fun talking about cruises, the ships, the lines, the ports, the likes, dislikes differences, etc and sharing experiences and information and answering questions, comparing notes, etc. Sometimes though, I do think some folks get a bit too carried away with questioins like, "do you think a category "D" cabin on "A" deck is better than a category "D" cabin on "C" deck? or...are the balconies bigger in the 4000 series cabins than the 3000 series cabins? After all, it's a 10 day vacation, you're not buying a condo that you're going to live in for the rest of your life. I've never seen anyone ask who was going to a resort for a week "do you think the rooms on the 8th floor are better than the one's on the 7th floor?" or does "Such and such" resort serve Pepsi products or only Coke?"

Some of the questions amaze me.

Firstly that folk can't find out things for themselves (how far is it from Civitavecchia to Rome? Googling it is quicker than asking on this forum - I am sorely tempted to reply "350 miles":)).

Secondly the tiny things people ask about (what fruit juices are available at breakfast?) - ???? - what? If its only orange are you gonna cancel your cruise??? Jeez, there's some very very bored people around!

But these forums are great research for things which matter, info from those who've been there, done that.

And, as other posters, all part of the anticipation.

Each to his/her own

Happy cruising to all.

John

I agree with all the above regarding cc. I have been here for a few years and dont post often however I read most posts and have learned valuable info from this site. I think the roll calls are great for learning what others are doing on your cruise and using it as a guide line for excursions

Most people live lives centered around the little things that affect them. Most of the mundain questions are asked by first time cruisers. They are individually important questions and I don't see any question asked to be less important than another. We all know that I am smarter than anybody else and, you feel the same. Hummmm. Makes for an interesting interaction between us huh? So many people, so many opinions, so many thoughts and more importantly, so little time. Methinks we are all here to expand our horrizons and that is a good thing. Sail away cures all ills. Harry :cool:

Archived