Bring a fan on the ship

:) My husband and I have never even thought about a fan. With the a/c or heat we have never needed one. Once I hit the bed with the rocking motion of the ship I am out. The white noise machine does sound good though. I never seem to have any room in my suitcase for all my clothes let alone a fan.

I thought I was so smart last year on our trip to Europe to bring my noise machine ... until the first night we stayed in Southampton and my plug wouldn't work!! The thing takes batteries but it never dawned on me I couldn't plug it in, because I knew I could on the ship. Thank goodness the hotel had a fan we could use (especially since they did not have air conditioning)!

I may have to jump on this battery operated fan bandwagon ... especially if I remember to bring the batteries!! :p

Does any one bring a fan with them? is it needed?

I thought it was just me...but I recently purchased a fan to bring along with me. I need air blowing in my face to sleep. Got it from Rite-Aid store and it will lay flat in the suitcase. Air-conditioning on the ship is just not enough for me, I need the extra air. I also sleep with a fan on everyday, even in the winter, and our thermostat is set at 70 degrees.:D

Do you see something other than a beach chair? Baby stuff! :D

Ok...this is funny. When I saw that picture, I couldn't figure out what was so funny! :confused: I was focused on the yellow train case and thought to myself...what's so funny, I used to have one just like that, only pink!

I never even noticed the beach chair...LOL:o

Howdy all.

I remember before going on our first cruise to Alaska on Princess, back in 2003, people kept saying to bring a bungee cord to hold the sliding door open in our minisuite.

I don't remember if we used it in such a cold climate, but I was wondering if the sliding doors still don't stay open on their own, and if I should pack one for our upcoming Baltic Cruise.

We were going to bring our Nesspresso brand Espresso machine with us too. It uses coffee pods, so they're easy to pack and not messy, but then we realized that we're 220v in Australia, and we'd have to get a step-up converter in order to make it work properly... UNLESS it's safe to use the shaver plug in the bathroom... anyone know?

Other than that, I've heard that duct tape is a must to bring along on cruises. It has 101 uses, as long as you know how to wield it properly!

Howdy all.

I remember before going on our first cruise to Alaska on Princess, back in 2003, people kept saying to bring a bungee cord to hold the sliding door open in our minisuite.

I don't remember if we used it in such a cold climate, but I was wondering if the sliding doors still don't stay open on their own, and if I should pack one for our upcoming Baltic Cruise.

We were going to bring our Nesspresso brand Espresso machine with us too. It uses coffee pods, so they're easy to pack and not messy, but then we realized that we're 220v in Australia, and we'd have to get a step-up converter in order to make it work properly... UNLESS it's safe to use the shaver plug in the bathroom... anyone know?

Other than that, I've heard that duct tape is a must to bring along on cruises. It has 101 uses, as long as you know how to wield it properly!

You have made my day about the Nespresso machine. My son is the manager of the Nespress boutique in Perth and has a travel Nespresso complete in a carry case. They took it to Bali and we are taking it to HK next year (on the Legend of the Seas - he asked me what sort of power they would have) :D

Aren't they the best buy of all time.

Regarding your question about the shaver plug: It didn't work for my 220V hair straightener, BUT on the Sapphire and Diamond there is a 220V plus under the bed (it has one of the bedside lights plugged into it). It is the bed closest to the bathroom. I get 2 US adaptors and take 2 powerboards so can get everything plugged in I need. You could use an extension cord to set your Nespresso up in a convenient place.

I guess you are on the Ruby or Emerald (?) and I don't know if they also have that 220V outlet. Hopefully someone else can help you.

Beryl

A small cabin fan has been on our mandatory list for years. Always on the nightstand for noise/air circulation while sleeping.

Wow. Welcome back!

No fan for us. With our (usually) inside cabins, we've never had a problem getting the temperature comfortable, and there is virtually no noise heard in the cabin. However, it does just go to show that what one person relies on as standard cruise packing paraphenalia, others tend to discount as unnecessary. I guess our over the door shoe rack and a second universal remote control for the TV would qualify as superfluous to many; to us, they are part of cruising.

I guess our over the door shoe rack and a second universal remote control for the TV would qualify as superfluous to many; to us, they are part of cruising.

Don't need the shoe rack, or the remote, but would not think of traveling without a fan or duct tape. We like it cool enough to hang meat when sleeping. Many calls to maintenance over the years rarely gets the results we would like, so the fan helps to solve the problem.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=122538-59644-1050&lpage=none

OMG, NO NO NO, the shaver plug will never take that. It is a very low wattage for shavers only!

Yeah, didn't figure that would be a good idea. Certainly don't want to start a fire on the ship! It's just not worth it for a few bucks for espresso everyday!

You have made my day about the Nespresso machine. My son is the manager of the Nespress boutique in Perth and has a travel Nespresso complete in a carry case. They took it to Bali and we are taking it to HK next year (on the Legend of the Seas - he asked me what sort of power they would have) :D

Aren't they the best buy of all time?

Regarding your question about the shaver plug: It didn't work for my 220V hair straightener, BUT on the Sapphire and Diamond there is a 220V plus under the bed (it has one of the bedside lights plugged into it). It is the bed closest to the bathroom. I get 2 US adaptors and take 2 powerboards so can get everything plugged in I need. You could use an extension cord to set your Nespresso up in a convenient place.

I guess you are on the Ruby or Emerald (?) and I don't know if they also have that 220V outlet. Hopefully someone else can help you.

Beryl

Yeah, they're the best. They make a perfect cup everytime (even the crema on top is correct) and the pods keep the coffee fresh and mean no clean-up or messy coffee grounds hanging around!

I actually think my husband would have more fun going to the International Cafe for his coffee, but he's really miffed that they want to charge 2 punches for a double espresso, which is what he drinks. He hates milk. The thing that doesn't make sense to him (and he's been in the coffee business a long time) is that a coffee drink with milk actually costs much more to produce because milk is more expensive, than a coffee with two coffee shots! Yet you can get a milk based coffee drink for once punch, but have to pay two for a double espresso. He considers this a huge rip-off.

Anyway, maybe someone out there knows if there's a 220v plug besides the shaver plug on The Emerald, but I doubt there is. There are a couple ships that were previously the "of the seas" company ships that Princess now owns, and are 220v or have at least some 220v plugs, but this is the first time I have heard any of the grand class princess ships have a 220v other than the shave plug.

It would be handy in expensive Copenhagen too, but there won't be any 220v there, so we'd have to bring a step-up converter, and it's just not worth it.

My husband bought the new Citi espresso machine a few months ago, but I think it's actually bigger than the older one we have... one of those teensy dome shaped ones with the horseshoe sort of lever where you put the coffee in.

We don't have a carry-case for either yet, because we've never brought it along.

And due to a bout of tinnitis about 8 months ago, I had to stop drinking caffeinated coffee, so I only have decaf... would be handy for that... the tinnitus went away completely after a week, once the headaches stopped!

Yeah, they're the best. They make a perfect cup everytime (even the crema on top is correct) and the pods keep the coffee fresh and mean no clean-up or messy coffee grounds hanging around!

I actually think my husband would have more fun going to the International Cafe for his coffee, but he's really miffed that they want to charge 2 punches for a double espresso, which is what he drinks. He hates milk. The thing that doesn't make sense to him (and he's been in the coffee business a long time) is that a coffee drink with milk actually costs much more to produce because milk is more expensive, than a coffee with two coffee shots! Yet you can get a milk based coffee drink for once punch, but have to pay two for a double espresso. He considers this a huge rip-off.

Anyway, maybe someone out there knows if there's a 220v plug besides the shaver plug on The Emerald, but I doubt there is. There are a couple ships that were previously the "of the seas" company ships that Princess now owns, and are 220v or have at least some 220v plugs, but this is the first time I have heard any of the grand class princess ships have a 220v other than the shave plug.

It would be handy in expensive Copenhagen too, but there won't be any 220v there, so we'd have to bring a step-up converter, and it's just not worth it.

My husband bought the new Citi espresso machine a few months ago, but I think it's actually bigger than the older one we have... one of those teensy dome shaped ones with the horseshoe sort of lever where you put the coffee in.

We don't have a carry-case for either yet, because we've never brought it along.

And due to a bout of tinnitis about 8 months ago, I had to stop drinking caffeinated coffee, so I only have decaf... would be handy for that... the tinnitus went away completely after a week, once the headaches stopped!

We also have one of the old domed sort; it has served us faithfully for years and the amount of coffee we go through is quite horrifying: we love it.

Why don't you put a posting up with that sort of heading: 220/240V power point on Emerald or Help wanted with power outlets on Emerald.

I have no idea why that one was under the bed on the Sapphire, but it was a God send for my hair straightener. I found out about that on cruisecritic, so you will probably get some help. We are on the Diamond next month so being the Sapphire's sister ship I am hoping it will have the same outlet.

Have fun

Beryl

Does any one bring a fan with them? is it needed?

DW and I are booked on Emerald 10/18 and LOOKING forward to it! I am a very hot natured person and DW is very cool natured (in our house I am in "t" shirt and shorts and she is in sweats). On EVERY cruise we have been on (15+) we have had the "thermostat" set to the coldest setting. On almost every cruise, even she has been warm in our cabin. We just got back from an Alaska cruise on the Saphire (June 09) and I thought, "of all the cruises, this one we will be chilly in our cabin" not so. We had to ask the cabin steward to get maint. to help cool our room (it was our 1st and hopefully only inside cabin cruise...no balcony to open the door on and cool off). That being said, we have never considered taking a fan, we just learn to enjoy the warmer temps...probably what makes DW enjoy cruising so much.

OK. So a few days ago I went poking around looking for a fan. I saw a few; quite inexpensive. Actually downright cheap. (Walmart). However, I might have to forgo a pair of shoes in its stead. Since I have survived up to now w/o it, I will survive without it. Now a coffeepot...........that's a whole other story. :D

We also have one of the old domed sort; it has served us faithfully for years and the amount of coffee we go through is quite horrifying: we love it.

Why don't you put a posting up with that sort of heading: 220/240V power point on Emerald or Help wanted with power outlets on Emerald.

I have no idea why that one was under the bed on the Sapphire, but it was a God send for my hair straightener. I found out about that on cruisecritic, so you will probably get some help. We are on the Diamond next month so being the Sapphire's sister ship I am hoping it will have the same outlet.

Have fun

Beryl

To tell you the truth, I'm PURPOSELY not pursuing that! I know my husband will like the Internation Cafe and will like the ritual of going there to get his coffee, and I'd rather not take that away from him, because he will feel obliged to use the Nespresso if we bring it.

He's just not keen to have to argue with them about charging him for two shots if he wants a double espresso.

Hehe, you should see our electronics store we bring with us whenever we travel. He has to keep working remotely when we are on holidays, and I usually check in with work and fix up a few things every few days (he's a travel agent, and I'm a programmer).

Because we're unsure of how usable the ship's internet will be, we are bringing our normal laptops with us, as well as smaller "netbook" style ones to carry to ports, since there's so much free public wifi in that part of the world.

So, along with our iPhones, we'll have 6 internet-enabled devices with us for two people. Plus my 160Gb iPod to hook to the TV for silly sitcoms to fall asleep to!

Luckily, as this is normal practice for us, we have our power supplies sorted, and actually use American plugs for everything, because they're smallest. Good for us that pretty much all electronics today are dual auto-switching voltage!

Archived