Harbor Cruise or just ferry

Nancy53

We have decided to do the Taronga Zoo on our visit to Sydney in November. I understand that you get there by ferry (which is supposed to be half the fun). If we get there by ferry then should we also do the Sydney Harbor Cruise or are they the same.

We are only going to be in Sydney for two days so time is crucial.

Is it also worth going to the Sydney Tower?:confused:

The ferry to Taronga will give you an experience of the harbor, but the harbour cruise, if the dinner one, gives a night time view and a fairly good dinner (esp the one that used to be called Sydney 2000) I harbour is your interest take the Darling harbour or the Manly ferry in addition to the Taronga.

Can't advise on Tower, never done it and have little interest is going to great heights to see things, not my cuppa.

http://www.sydneyferries.info/

If you buy a day tripper bus and ferry ticket, you can cruise all day and night to wherever you choose to go on the harbour. I never tire of doing this every time I visit Sydney, as it is a wonderful relaxing way of visiting Sydney's beautiful ocean and harbour beaches.

As the ferries depart from Circular Quay, you will sail past the Opera House and under the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

I wouldn't waste the money on a harbour cruise. As Marion says, if you buy a ticket that covers a whole day, you can spend all the time you like on the different ferries. The ferry to the zoo is a great and also the Manly Ferry is the other one I would suggest.

If you still want to spend time on the water, then take the Watson's Bay ferry and have lunch at Doyle's. That is a lovely way to spend a day in Sydney. You could either have lunch at the restaurant which is right on the water or you can buy take away fish and chips and eat them on the grass which is close to where you pick up the ferry.

http://www.doyles.com.au/ After eating lunch there you could catch the bus back to the city which would give you a different view of that city.

Enjoy, Sydney is a great place to visit. I have never been up in the AMP Tower but I would recommend Bridge Climb and the view from the top of the Bridge is fantastic.

http://www.bridgeclimb.com/

Jennie

I was in Sydney before my cruise in Feb and used the ferries as hop-on-hop-off siteseeing. The harbour is beautiful, you have to see it to appreciate it. Took the ferry to the zoo and rode the cable car to the top, then meandered down to the dock. The birds in the aviary are amazing. I'm going back next March to see more of this incredible country.

CAL

I've done both the Harbor cruise and the ferries and definitely think the ferries are the way to go. I didn't want to waste time eating on the cruise when I really wanted to explore the harbor sights. And agree that doing the Manly ferry is a good idea as is the ferry to the zoo even if you don't actually do the zoo. For us, the zoo, while a nice one, is just a zoo but worth it for the amazing photos we took looking back on Sydney with a giraffe in the foreground. what a wonderful souvenir.

Probably best to buy a all day ticket.Probably allow 4 hours.

Circular Quay back to Circular Quay.

Inner Harbour.

Take the all stops to Meadowbank Wharf service.Follow signs, walk to Meadowbank Station about 500 + metres.Alternative is catch the connecting bus to West Ryde Station.

Catch train to Hornsby Station in direction of Epping (direction north).

Change Platforms /Tracks at Hornsby Station for City via North Shore Line.Alight at St Leonards Station.Walk to bus stop at front of station and catch the 144 Manly Wharf or Manly Bus.The bus is a pleasant ride via Military Road and Spit Bridge.

Alight at Manly Terminus.Walk to wharf.Join Manly Ferry for Circular Quay.

Refreshment stops can be Meadowbank or West Ryde,Hornsby, St Leonards, Manly.

This is a loop tour and easy as easy.

Enjoy

Here is the link for info on the day tripper ticket and includes info on discounts by showing your ticket to some of the cities attractions

http://www.cityrail.info/tickets/casual/daytripper

We use these tickets as they are great value for a day out. valid for Bus/Rail/Ferry all day within the city/metro area

You can use the ticket also for the Manly ferry but NOT the Manly Jet Cat. The Manly Ferry is a great trip, The zoo is also good for some great city/harbour photo opps.(apart from seeing the animals) Enjoy your stay.:)

I live in Sydney and I can't imagine why anyone would want to catch our trains for a scenic experience!!! I used to do that loop everyday and there is not much at all to see from the trains- and the trains are notoriosly bad- dirty etc. There is nothing to see at Meadowbank station and only the back of houses on the line- as in most cities.

I agree that the bus to the zoo can be nice but instead of the loop which would take about 90 minutes simply catch a train From Wynard- about5- 10 minutes walk from the Quay- over the bridge to St Leonards- 15 minutes- disembark and catch the Manly bus- would take about 30 - 45 minutes to get to Manly - the bus is slow. If you had the money I would consider a cab. Catch the ferry back.

Another lovely place you can go to by bus is Balmoral Beach- a beautiful harbourside beach in one of Sydneys most up market suburbs- train from the Wynard to North Sydney - 5 minutes- bus 20-25 minutes. There are some great reataraunts at Balmoral. You could then catch the bus or walk up a BIG hill up to Spit Junction and catch the Manly bus from there - 25 minutes to Manly. I really think you would see the best of Sydney that way. Some stunning sceney and lovely houses.

fromQs\

Probably best to buy a all day ticket.Probably allow 4 hours.

Circular Quay back to Circular Quay.

Inner Harbour.

Take the all stops to Meadowbank Wharf service.Follow signs, walk to Meadowbank Station about 500 + metres.Alternative is catch the connecting bus to West Ryde Station.

Catch train to Hornsby Station in direction of Epping (direction north).

Change Platforms /Tracks at Hornsby Station for City via North Shore Line.Alight at St Leonards Station.Walk to bus stop at front of station and catch the 144 Manly Wharf or Manly Bus.The bus is a pleasant ride via Military Road and Spit Bridge.

Alight at Manly Terminus.Walk to wharf.Join Manly Ferry for Circular Quay.

Refreshment stops can be Meadowbank or West Ryde,Hornsby, St Leonards, Manly.

This is a loop tour and easy as easy.

Enjoy

I agree, a trip to Balmoral is well worth the effort. We love the restaurants down there especially "Bathers Pavillion". A walk along the beach is great and the houses in that area are superb.

It makes for a great day out. If you have time do it and if it is warm enough, go for a swim in the harbour, it is netted so no sharks can get through!!

Jennie

I live in Sydney and I can't imagine why anyone would want to catch our trains for a scenic experience!!! I used to do that loop everyday and there is not much at all to see from the trains- and the trains are notoriosly bad- dirty etc. There is nothing to see at Meadowbank station and only the back of houses on the line- as in most cities.

I agree that the bus to the zoo can be nice but instead of the loop which would take about 90 minutes simply catch a train From Wynard- about5- 10 minutes walk from the Quay- over the bridge to St Leonards- 15 minutes- disembark and catch the Manly bus- would take about 30 - 45 minutes to get to Manly - the bus is slow. If you had the money I would consider a cab. Catch the ferry back.

Another lovely place you can go to by bus is Balmoral Beach- a beautiful harbourside beach in one of Sydneys most up market suburbs- train from the Wynard to North Sydney - 5 minutes- bus 20-25 minutes. There are some great reataraunts at Balmoral. You could then catch the bus or walk up a BIG hill up to Spit Junction and catch the Manly bus from there - 25 minutes to Manly. I really think you would see the best of Sydney that way. Some stunning sceney and lovely houses.

fromQs\

nenasmum

I Totally Reject Your Negativity of What i am Proud to Show our International Visitors.

It's surprising you find there's nothing to see on the inner harbour Jetcat from Circular Quay to Meadowbank and the northern and north shore railway lines and the route i described . Just think about this route carefully and the topography it covers. Far easier and cheaper to leave the car (or indeed taxi!) behind and open one's gaze to the passing scenery instead of being stuck in Sydney 's endlessly choked traffic.

I make a point of taking all of our international CC friends on that journey and they comment on how good our public transport is, the beauty of all the harbourside houses and their gardens and park- and bushland including Meadowbank.

If our transport system is as bad as you're implying it's strange that the same journey after 10 am is full of our senior citizens taking similar journeys with their friends on their $2.50 excursion tickets and striking up conversations like most friendly Australians would with other passengers especially our overseas visitors.

We live on one of the most beautiful harbours in the world and on alighting at Meadowbank (after a beautiful journey on the inner harbour) there are views to Olympic Park and beyond. The journey by ferry , train and bus,ferry displays some very nice examples of Australian home achitecture and gardens ranging from simple to grand. Homes and units on the northern and north shore railway lines as well as backyards and flowerbedded parkland around the stations and bushland reserves are a delight to the eye, visible from trains for anyone who has the time to sit and look out at the scene they're passing through, all for the price of a ticket to any destination within an extraordinarily generous radius of Sydney. We don't know how lucky we are to have such an amenity.

Instead of repeating the politicised mantra that all our train services are "notoriously bad, dangerous etc", a sure way to help undermine their image in the public's mind, I would recommend a journey as soon as possible like the one I've described so you can see what beauty there is all around, easily and cheaply accessible, as it should be in country like ours.

• 3 weeks later...

All you native Aussie's, are there any other restaurants on the waterfron close to where a ferry would drop you off besides Doyles? Are they all that pricey or am I reading it wrong.

We are thinking of just buying the ferry pass and take the day riding the ferry and maybe getting off somewhere to have lunch on the water.

Any suggestions appreciated

Thanks

Pat

Pat I highly recommend this venue. Its right at the ferry wharf and its casual and VERY POPULAR in everyway.(Inner Harbour Jetcat Meadowbank services)

http://www.sydneyrowingclub.com.au/homeDraft.html

OR

Walk up the slight hill from the ferry wharf (inner harbour services) or adjacent to Milsons Point Railway Station.

http://www.kirribilliclub.com.au/index.php

Your very welcome at both the clubs and its not necessary to be a member at the above clubs/venues.

Or for something simple why not take a picnic on board the ferry ie, buy fish and chips at the Circular Quay Railway Station (eastern end) or from the David Jones department store Food Hall.

fromQs\

Totally agree - the train trip is horrible. Why would someone who only has 2 days waste time looking at suburban houses out of a train window? I really wouldn't recommend the bus either. Stick to the ferries - much nicer things to look at.

Good suggestion about Sydney Rowing Club campingman. I live at Cabarita and we regularly get off the ferry at Abbotsford on the way home and go to the club for dinner and then catch a later ferry home. Reasonably priced and great views

It's surprising you find there's nothing to see on the inner harbour Jetcat from Circular Quay to Meadowbank and the northern and north shore railway lines and the route i described . Just think about this route carefully and the topography it covers. Far easier and cheaper to leave the car (or indeed taxi!) behind and open one's gaze to the passing scenery instead of being stuck in Sydney 's endlessly choked traffic.

I make a point of taking all of our international CC friends on that journey and they comment on how good our public transport is, the beauty of all the harbourside houses and their gardens and park- and bushland including Meadowbank.

Although I hadn't thought of it that way before, I can see the appeal. It's not the show-stopping world famous sights, but still does have different points of interest.

It probably depends on your inclination; just as some people prefer beach holidays whereas others prefer cultural sights, if you are interested in scenery this is worthwhile.

Archived