Passport Question!!!

VABeach

Does anyone know the CURRENT, as in today, Passport Regulation for sailings to the Bahamas????

Leaving Friday with a group of 7 girls, some have passports, some don't.

Cruiseline said "Birth Certificate & ID is fine.....". Paper work now says "Birth Certificate and ID is fine..... if you are sailing Summer of 2009, you must have a PASSPORT"!!!! :eek:

Does anyone know TODAYS RULES???

Thanks so much!

Jenny

Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative

Areas that fall under the WHTI:

• Canada
  • Mexico

Please Note: The WHTI-compliant documents described below are acceptable for entry or re-entry into the United States. You may be required to present additional or different travel documents when entering foreign countries, including countries in the Western Hemisphere. Before you travel, make sure you know the entry requirements of the country you plan to visit. See Country Specific Information for more information on the country you are traveling to.

AIR TRAVEL

ALL PERSONS traveling by air outside of the United States are required to present a passport book or other valid travel document to enter or re-enter the United States.

LAND AND SEA TRAVEL

ALL PERSONS traveling by land and sea outside of the United States are required to present a passport book/card, or other valid travel documents to enter or re-enter the United States.

The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Security’s website:

• Effective June 1, 2009, all U.S. citizens are now required to present a passport book, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document when entering the United States.
    Please Note: Children under age 16 will be able to continue crossing land and sea borders using only a U.S. birth certificate (or other form of U.S. citizenship such as a naturalization certificate.). The original birth certificate or a copy may be used. See the Department of Homeland Security's Ready, Set.. Go! for more information on the changing travel requirements.

The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory.

U.S.PASSPORT AND WHTI COMPLIANT DOCUMENTS:

• U.S. Passport: U.S. citizens may present a valid U.S. passport when traveling via air, land or sea.
  • The Passport Card: The passport card is only valid for land and sea travel between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean region, and Bermuda.
  • WHTI-Compliant Travel Documents for U.S. citizen travel via land and sea, as of January 31, 2008:
    • Trusted Traveler Cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST)
    • State Issued Enhanced Driver’s License (when available)
    • Enhanced Tribal Cards (when available)
    • U.S. Military Identification with Military Travel Orders
    • U.S. Merchant Mariner Document when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business
    • Native American Tribal Photo Identification Card
    • Form I-872 American Indian Card

For further information see U.S. Customs and Border protection.

ABOUT WHTI

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative is a result of the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 (IRTPA), requiring all travelers to present a passport or other document that denotes identity and citizenship when entering the United States.

Please Note: The WHTI-compliant documents described above are acceptable for entry or re-entry into the United States. You may be required to present additional or different travel documents when entering foreign countries, including some countries in the Western Hemisphere. Before you travel, make sure you know the entry requirements of the country you plan to visit. See Country Specific Information for more information on the country you are traveling to.

The goal of WHTI is to strengthen U.S. border security while facilitating entry for U.S. citizens and legitimate foreign visitors by providing standardized documentation that enables the Department of Homeland Security to quickly and reliably identify a traveler.

Federal Regulations

Other Relevant Links

smaller_print.gif Printer friendly version small_ev.gif Email

img_1941.jpgOther Government Websites

About Us | Feedback | Contact Us | Email this Page | Print | Search | Top of Page

This site is managed by the Bureau of Consular Affairs, U.S. Department of State. External

***** do we do now???? We leave FRIDAY.

OMG. We booked this June 19. The cruise line TOLD US A BIRTH CERTIFICATE AND FEDERAL ID WAS ALL WE NEEDED. Plane tickets and everything are already paid for, and so is the cruise, obviously. :mad:

One of the important things for "women" to know is....if you have ever been married and or divorced............they require "proof of marriage", and or, proof of divorce". Essentially they want to know how you got from your "birth name" to the name you have now if it is different than on your birth certificate. Have to have documents to prove all that stuff to get a "passport".

Does anyone know the CURRENT, as in today, Passport Regulation for sailings to the Bahamas????

Leaving Friday with a group of 7 girls, some have passports, some don't.

Cruiseline said "Birth Certificate & ID is fine.....". Paper work now says "Birth Certificate and ID is fine..... if you are sailing Summer of 2009, you must have a PASSPORT"!!!! :eek:

Does anyone know TODAYS RULES???

Thanks so much!

Jenny

to and from the Bahamas is considered a close loop sailing--this is from the NCL web site:

Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda, Alaska (SEATTLE), Mexican Riviera, Or Canada & New England Cruises

For closed-loop sailings (cruises that depart from and return to the same U.S. port), you need a valid passport, proof of citizenship and a valid government-issued photo I.D. (driver's license with a photo), or any other WHTI compliant document. Proof of Citizenship examples include: an original or state certified copy of a U.S. or Canadian birth certificate, certificate of U.S. naturalization, original certificate of U.S. citizenship, or a U.S. Consular report of your birth abroad

Unquote

BG

One of my friends also doesn't have a passport. Though we leave in two weeks, that is not enough time for her to get one. I researched a lot and my impression is the same as above, she will not need one for a closed loop (out of miami to the bahamas and back to miami).

Please let us know if this isn't the case!

Hopefully your cruise will go wonderfully with nary a bump in sight!

As a couple of other posters have already said, US citizens do NOT need a passport for a "closed loop" cruise. An original or certified copy of your birth certificate plus a government issued photo ID such as a drivers license is sufficient.

Here's a link the the Customs and Border Protection page that explains it, plus a direct quote from that page:

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

I believe everyone is alright with BC and DL.

What typically bothers me is that people do not research the PP regulations and then run into snafu's or brain damage at the last minute. The ever changing reg's was one reason why I just went ahead and got a PP a few years ago. It seems to take a bit of the self inflicted agony out of planning a cruise and other travel.

One should probably just bite the bullet and get one as it's not going to get any easier.

I believe everyone is alright with BC and DL.

What typically bothers me is that people do not research the PP regulations and then run into snafu's or brain damage at the last minute. The ever changing reg's was one reason why I just went ahead and got a PP a few years ago. It seems to take a bit of the self inflicted agony out of planning a cruise and other travel.

One should probably just bite the bullet and get one as it's not going to get any easier.

That's why we just finally went ahead and got the darn passports. They are always good and we have no worries as to whether we need them or not.

***** do we do now???? We leave FRIDAY.

OMG. We booked this June 19. The cruise line TOLD US A BIRTH CERTIFICATE AND FEDERAL ID WAS ALL WE NEEDED. Plane tickets and everything are already paid for, and so is the cruise, obviously. :mad:

don't panic if you are leaving and returning to the same port you only will need a birth certificate and an drivers license. per NCL

Thank you everyone for your responses. You are right, it is considered a closed loop sailing.

I have been working long hours at both jobs to prepare for leaving town and was a little tired and caught off guard last night when the paperwork said "Summer of 2009 must have passport".

I had checked a while back, and asked when we booked, so I wasn't prepared to read she needed one. Thank goodness she doesn't. <whew!>

Thanks again for the clarifications about the fine print. ;)

Thank you everyone for your responses. You are right, it is considered a closed loop sailing.

I have been working long hours at both jobs to prepare for leaving town and was a little tired and caught off guard last night when the paperwork said "Summer of 2009 must have passport".

I had checked a while back, and asked when we booked, so I wasn't prepared to read she needed one. Thank goodness she doesn't. <whew!>

\

don't stress, have a good time. They'll let you on. I hear it is really up to the country you are visiting to let you off the ship @ ports. Worse case you'll have the ship to enjoy. don't worry these countries all want our revenue:)

I still can't figure out why most people think that they don't need a passport in today's society. It absolutely amazes me that someone that is traveling would not have one.

With everything going on, why would you risk the chance of not being able to get home if something happened? Bloody amazing.

I still can't figure out why most people think that they don't need a passport in today's society. It absolutely amazes me that someone that is traveling would not have one.

With everything going on, why would you risk the chance of not being able to get home if something happened? Bloody amazing.

I totally agree. Just get a passport and all the worrying and fretting is over....easy peasy!!! If you can afford to cruise, you surely can afford a passport.

We finally just said, forget about it, and got passports though our upcoming cruise doesnt require one....

boy were we glad we did!

We found out what my wife thought was her birth certificate, had used for entry to the USA on crusies multiple times, gotten replacement ss cards, as well as her job docs etc, was just a piece of paper the Army gave her parents when she was born and not valid legally. (she was born on a US Military in Germany to American Parents...her parents never reported her birth to the embassy in Germany).

Of course this made getting her a passport a bit difficult, but atleast we found out from the State Dept instead of a customs official when coming back into the usa.

All I can say is, if you have serious problems getting a passport, contact the local office of either one of your Senators or Reps. Sen. Graham and Congressman Wilson's staff bent over backwards and had my wife approved without additional documentation in less than 72 hours from when we first called.

We finally just said, forget about it, and got passports though our upcoming cruise doesnt require one....

boy were we glad we did!

We found out what my wife thought was her birth certificate, had used for entry to the USA on crusies multiple times, gotten replacement ss cards, as well as her job docs etc, was just a piece of paper the Army gave her parents when she was born and not valid legally. (she was born on a US Military in Germany to American Parents...her parents never reported her birth to the embassy in Germany).

Of course this made getting her a passport a bit difficult, but atleast we found out from the State Dept instead of a customs official when coming back into the usa.

All I can say is, if you have serious problems getting a passport, contact the local office of either one of your Senators or Reps. Sen. Graham and Congressman Wilson's staff bent over backwards and had my wife approved without additional documentation in less than 72 hours from when we first called.

My nephew had the same issue with his birth certificate since he too was born in Germany to US Military parents. When he applied to be an EMT with the NYFD, he had to get that all straightened out to prove he was legal to work in the US. He finally just got a passport to resolve all that in the future.

One of my friends also doesn't have a passport. Though we leave in two weeks, that is not enough time for her to get one. I researched a lot and my impression is the same as above, she will not need one for a closed loop (out of miami to the bahamas and back to miami).

Please let us know if this isn't the case!

Hopefully your cruise will go wonderfully with nary a bump in sight!

You can pay extra for expedited passports. Contact your local passport place and ask about it.

Just went in June, NO PASSPORT NEEDED.

I mean, if you have it, great. But if not...BIG DEAL PEOPLE, some people DO book last minute cruises. Doesn't make us irresponsible for not having one...sheesh!

No, it doesn't make you irresponsible but with the ever changing requirements you might not be able to book that last minute cruise if you don't have one. It just makes sense to get one.

Archived