Can a ship just "leave early" without advance warning?

clerky96

I was on the Carnival Victory last May and we were scheduled to leave Nassau at 2:00am. My girlfriend and I were looking out at the port on our balcony when the ship started pulling out. I looked at my watch and it was around 1:45am. We couldn't understand why it did that and I have not seen that before, although I must admit that was only my 4th cruise. Although we didn't see anyone running toward the ship we hoped no one was coming from Senor Frogs and thinking they still had a few more minutes.:eek:

I was on the Carnival Victory last May and we were scheduled to leave Nassau at 2:00am. My girlfriend and I were looking out at the port on our balcony when the ship started pulling out. I looked at my watch and it was around 1:45am. We couldn't understand why it did that and I have not seen that before, although I must admit that was only my 4th cruise. Although we didn't see anyone running toward the ship we hoped no one was coming from Senor Frogs and thinking they still had a few more minutes.:eek:

If everyone is onboard and accounted for, the ships will, at times, leave early.

Where did you hear that the ship "left early"? None of the news reports I have seen said anything about the ship leaving early. Can you post a link to where you are getting this information?

Someone in that thread mentioned they had heard of instances where ships leave early. The poster you have quoted didn't say THE ship from the article about the stranded vacationers left early.

Where did you hear that the ship "left early"?

I wasn't talking about that particular ship, just ships in general. In one of the posts on that thread someone mentioned that they had been on cruises where the ship left early. I'm not talking about the 15 min early because everyone is onboard; I'm talking about the "X # of hours" early. I just didn't realize they do that.

Yes, if all the passengers and bags are aboard, a ship can leave. Last fall, on our transatlantic cruise on the Splendor, we left two ports about fifteen minutes early as everyone was on board.

Doc

I don't think I have ever seen a port where people were not boarding right up to the last minute.

I'm talking about the "X # of hours" early. I just didn't realize they do that.

Yes, they can, and they do, but if everyone is not onboard they do not go very far... just to a safe spot. The remaining passengers will be assisted in getting to the ship via tender, most likely. If that was not possible and the ship could not wait until the weather improved, I think Carnival would assume responsibility for the passengers' situation. I do not think that happens very often.

I was ont he Liberty last September on a rerouted cruise. We stopped at Grand Cayman for a 7am to 4pm port stop. The first odd thing was we were not in the normal location to anchor, that was the first hint of problems. A fair number of passengers were off and on tours (independent and ship-sponsore) and at 9:30 the weather report changed and other factors changed as well. There was bad weather coming and was expected by late afternoon and the captain decided to reduce out stop and leave at 1pm. All tours were cancelled at 9:45 and they told everyone else that if they choose to go to the beach for a few hours to NOT go in the water as the current was too strong. It was later learned that a divermaster for a scuba tour was swept away from the dive boat as the scuba tour was to start and the other divemaster got everyone else back in and they went after the other diver and found him a short time later.

2/3 of the ship was back on board and them they made an annoucement that at least 1/3 of the ship went on their own and and they will leave as soon as te rest are aboard. They send out reps to the usual spots where tourists go and everyone was back on by 2:30 and the tenders were rocking and a rolling!!! We left immediately and within an hour or two we knew the storm had hit cuz the ship was a rocking and a rolling...was rather fun trying to get dressed to go to the dining room and the water was sloshing out of all pools as we rocked and rolled!

They may reposition, but not leave and forget X number of passengers!!

I think this was the event that was buried in my mind. thanks

Archived