Can a ship just "leave early" without advance warning?

clerky96

I was following the post about the families that were left behind and someone posted that ships can leave early. I didn't realize that ships could leave the port early. That is a frightening thought. Does it happen very often? :eek:

I was following the post about the families that were left behind and someone posted that ships can leave early. I didn't realize that ships could leave the port early. That is a frightening thought. Does it happen very often? :eek:
The only reason they leave early unannounced is for a clear and present danger to the ship, such as a severe weather change. Last one I heard of was Grand Cayman last spring when the wind shifted and increased, so they had to move the ship to South Point. They had agents at the tender dock to assist passengers to get to the new tendering location.

Enjoy

Ron

somewhere in the thousands and thousands of post I have read on CC there was one about a ship leaving port early.

I remember it appeared they sent word out over the entire island. I believe a CCer was sitting at table in a restaurant and someone ran in and announced all Carnival passengers had to get back to the ship. I'm a little fuzzy on the details. Maybe someone has a better memory than me.

Ships don't have the authority to just leave when the notion strikes -- in fact, in every major port I know of, the ship is brought into the port and is taken out of the port by an official pilot from the port operations staff. Ships are assigned specific "appointments" with the pilots, at or shortly after the scheduled departure time. Now if everyone is onboard and the pilots aren't busy, I'm sure there's a possibility. But generally, unless there is a real threat to the ship remaining in port, the ship isn't likely to leave early.

Yes, if all the passengers and bags are aboard, a ship can leave. Last fall, on our transatlantic cruise on the Splendor, we left two ports about fifteen minutes early as everyone was on board.

Doc

Yes, a ship can leave port early. There was a case where a ship was tendering into the Falkland Islands and a storm came up where the ship had to go back out to sea. They ended up leaving 300 people still ashore.

There have been a couple of cases where a ship had to leave an embarkation port early because of an approaching storm.

While it is rare for it happen, the chance does exists.

Dave

If the ship leaves a port early for some avoidable reason, does the cruise line have an obligation to catch passengers who have been left behind (through no fault of their own) up to the ship? Or are we on our own? I must say that I never like to venture too far from the ship. In fact, whenever possible, I like to be able to see the ship from wherever I am in port.

Yes, a ship can leave port early. There was a case where a ship was tendering into the Falkland Islands and a storm came up where the ship had to go back out to sea. They ended up leaving 300 people still ashore.

There have been a couple of cases where a ship had to leave an embarkation port early because of an approaching storm.

While it is rare for it happen, the chance does exists.

Dave

When the ship left the Falklands early, Did they come back later for the 300 people they left stranded? Did the cruiseline foot the bill for any hotel room fees, expenses that those passengers incurred? Basically, how was the incident resolved?

Yes, if all the passengers and bags are aboard, a ship can leave. Last fall, on our transatlantic cruise on the Splendor, we left two ports about fifteen minutes early as everyone was on board.

Doc

LOL! You reminded me of my Celebrity cruise. We were the "youngsters" and usually the last one's to get back to the ship (but within the time frame the cruise line suggested) A couple of times it felt like they slammed the door behind us and took off before we got through security!

On our first-ever cruise, we were sitting on a beach in Bermuda. Left the ship at about 10:00. Weren't supposed to be back on ship till around 5. Our ship had these very distinctive green and white stripped towels, and we were laying on them. Heard a long horn blast - didn't think anything of it, as it was only about 2:00. Some local guy came up to us and said that we'd better high-tail it back to the ship - that horn was a signal they were getting ready to set sail:eek: We literally ran back to the ship, and were the last ones- - they pulled up the gang-plank as we boarded. We found out that a hurricane had unexpectedly changed directions, and was coming towards us! The captain decided to leave early to get out to a "safe" area at sea. We still laugh about that experience to this day. (believe me - I wasn't laughing then!)

time4u2go, I hate to steal the thread, but I have to ask if you are from "Nawlins". The P. A. Thomas streetcar makes me think you may be. One of my customers was a son of Perley Thomas, the man whose company built those cars.

Doc

time4u2go, I hate to steal the thread, but I have to ask if you are from "Nawlins". The P. A. Thomas streetcar makes me think you may be. One of my customers was a son of Perley Thomas, the man whose company built those cars.

Doc

I spent some time there and loved it there! And I definitely remember the name Perley Thomas!

On a related note, there was a thread about how tendering back to a ship had to be terminated early due to bad weather. People were stranded on (I believe) RCCL's private island overnight. I forget what the outcome was for them.

OUCH.....now i really hate tendering

somewhere in the thousands and thousands of post I have read on CC there was one about a ship leaving port early.

I remember it appeared they sent word out over the entire island. I believe a CCer was sitting at table in a restaurant and someone ran in and announced all Carnival passengers had to get back to the ship. I'm a little fuzzy on the details. Maybe someone has a better memory than me.

I think it was Costa Maya. Maybe somebody can dredge that thread up.

I was ont he Liberty last September on a rerouted cruise. We stopped at Grand Cayman for a 7am to 4pm port stop. The first odd thing was we were not in the normal location to anchor, that was the first hint of problems. A fair number of passengers were off and on tours (independent and ship-sponsore) and at 9:30 the weather report changed and other factors changed as well. There was bad weather coming and was expected by late afternoon and the captain decided to reduce out stop and leave at 1pm. All tours were cancelled at 9:45 and they told everyone else that if they choose to go to the beach for a few hours to NOT go in the water as the current was too strong. It was later learned that a divermaster for a scuba tour was swept away from the dive boat as the scuba tour was to start and the other divemaster got everyone else back in and they went after the other diver and found him a short time later.

2/3 of the ship was back on board and them they made an annoucement that at least 1/3 of the ship went on their own and and they will leave as soon as te rest are aboard. They send out reps to the usual spots where tourists go and everyone was back on by 2:30 and the tenders were rocking and a rolling!!! We left immediately and within an hour or two we knew the storm had hit cuz the ship was a rocking and a rolling...was rather fun trying to get dressed to go to the dining room and the water was sloshing out of all pools as we rocked and rolled!

They may reposition, but not leave and forget X number of passengers!!

I think it was Costa Maya. Maybe somebody can dredge that thread up.

Costa Maya isn't an island, but yes, it did happen back in 2006 where there were quite a few folks ashore and the weather was bad...the ship and pier were getting beat up quite badly...they turned everyone around and told us all to head back onto the ship. The folks that left for the ruin tours earlier that morning were the last ones on the ship (not sure if everyone was accounted for, because they sent folks to round up the excursions), and they had to dodge the water geysers from between the seams in the pier running toward the ship! :eek:

It was pretty freaky...I had a port-side (literally) balcony so I was watching for my cousin, since she was on the Mayan ruins tour. I was supposed to go horseback riding that day. :(

The ship won't ever leave early unless:

1. Everyone is back on board and accounted for
  2. There is an emergency, most likely deteriorating weather

In the latter case the ship would not go very far and there would be arrangements to get everyone back onboard in a safe manner.

This is definitely not a cause for any concern.

When the ship left the Falklands early, Did they come back later for the 300 people they left stranded? Did the cruiseline foot the bill for any hotel room fees, expenses that those passengers incurred? Basically, how was the incident resolved?

They were put up for the night on a British Army base as there were not enough hotels. The ship did return the next day for them.

Dave

Doc

Other streetcars were made by Elmer von Dullen. They are called Von Dullen cars. He was the manager of the rail dept. He restored a lot of the earlier streetcars before fabricating those of his own design. He currently resides in Destrahan, LA. I used to race four-wheelers and jetskis with his son.

Dave

Where did you hear that the ship "left early"? None of the news reports I have seen said anything about the ship leaving early. Can you post a link to where you are getting this information?

Archived