Dining Options

Luke Warmwater

I have sailed twice on Celebrity, only because people in the UK cannot easily book with US travel agents who invariably offer on board credits, etc. Celebrity is one line where you can still do this.

I am enquiring whether, generally, the dining options have improved recently. When I sailed on the Galaxy in 2006 and on the final Christmas cruise of the Zenith, we had little option for dinner except assigned dining. We had tablemates from hell both times and little option for other places to eat. Has this changed or does it depend on the ship concerned?

Most ships still offer the casual dining option which is a sit down service in the buffet area. While I have never done this option, I have read very positive comments about it here on CC. Additionally, you have a room service option, eating the pasta/pizza in the buffet area and on most ships, the alternative pay restaurants such as Murano.

As Albert said, there is speculation that they will role out an option to traditional dining in September but nothing firm at this point. This information came from a newspaper article in USA Today in which the writer interviewed execs at Celebrity. Here's a link to the article.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=68333869.blog

The new Solstice class ships have many more options...

Besides casual dining, which we especially enjoy because the service is so outstanding, there is always the option to ask the maitre'd to move you away from the offensive tablemates. Celebrity is usually very intuitive at matching people up but I have seen tables reformed after a day or two.

Are all the tables one size? How many people to a table? How do they usually compose the tables? We're a family of 4: 38, 38, 10, 9. Should we expect to be seated with another family with children? I hadn't thought of this part of the deal at all when booking. When DH and I go away without the kids to resorts with dining, we ask for a table for 2 (and get it). We are such quiet people! Our tablemates are probably going to 'hate' us because we just don't do small talk well. Maybe our 10 year old can care the conversation. He talks non-stop ;-) (Although he might not around 'strangers'.)

Are all the tables one size? How many people to a table? How do they usually compose the tables? We're a family of 4: 38, 38, 10, 9. Should we expect to be seated with another family with children? I hadn't thought of this part of the deal at all when booking. When DH and I go away without the kids to resorts with dining, we ask for a table for 2 (and get it). We are such quiet people! Our tablemates are probably going to 'hate' us because we just don't do small talk well. Maybe our 10 year old can care the conversation. He talks non-stop ;-) (Although he might not around 'strangers'.)

They do have table of 4s but unless you have asked for it they will probably put you at an 8 top with another family.

They do have table of 4s but unless you have asked for it they will probably put you at an 8 top with another family.

Another family would be fine! I'd just hate to have 4 other adults feeling like their meals were somehow less than they should be because they had to sit with 2 children (well-behaved but still children!) and their introverted parents.

No, not yet, but rumour has it they are starting open dining/mytime dining called Celebrity Select Dining this autumn. My guess is they will trial it on a few ships first, like they did on RCI. Can't wait.
Heard they were going to do it on Equinox, really hope so because we loved My Time on RCCL and Anytime on Princess. Have sent 2 emails asking about it but surprise, surprise, the UK office don't seem to want to reply.

Another family would be fine!

There's a fair chance, unless they give you 4. Check what your reservation request shows for table size. I understand with children they do try to match children with children if that is the situation.

teacher23--check out the roll call for your cruise. You will "meet" fellow cruisers and get input on excursions they are considering or booking and maybe get in on some private ones if they have room for more or find out who to contact to make your own arangements. I usually take the ship excursions, but many prefer the private ones.

We were very happy with the ones we took on our 6/3 Med cruise on Summit this summer.

Also check the destination boards for each port.

Archived