NCL Majesty - Dec.11-18

Pleasan7

Our trip on Dec.11-18, aboard the Norwegian Majesty leaving out of Charleston, SC was very enjoyable. We drove to the port about 1 pm. My husband drove by and checked out the parking the night before. It is very well done with uniformed officers directing you through the lines. Leaving your luggage and then boarding the ship. Normal check-in and picture taking. We were in a semi-obscured view cabin 805. Really had a nice view as the ladder in front of it was not used (door at the restaurant above our cabin was always locked.)

The day you board the ship is the fire drill at about 3:30 pm and they do check your name off the list as having attended. The captain is very thorough about the information provided. The television will show the tape on a special channel incase you did not or were unable to hear the announcements. It is a good ship for this route as most of the shops, theatres and restaurants are down on 5 so that there is plenty to do till you get down to the warm Caribbean. When we awoke on day two, we were down to the Florida coast so it was comfortable out on deck. I did get to lie out when we were not in dock.

I personally enjoyed every meal. I liked breakfast from the buffet on deck and since we were just below the very front of the ship – we ate inside the lounge there every morning. The restaurant mid-ship on 5 seems to be the dresser of the two large restaurants. Families were in evidence in the restaurants and they will try to seat you as you wish. We loved our waiters and they were always gracious and helpful. We did not choose the Bistro so I cannot review it.

During the day on our cruise, they had a special group in the front lounge. It was an a-cappella quartet “Sound Celebration” that had won the national contest. They were fun to sing with as they let us join them on the stage. It was not advertised much or I think they would have had a larger group in attendance. The evening shows are very enjoyable especially the comedian Rudi Macaggi. Made for an enjoyable night. Sorry we are early to bed people so the only late night thing we attended was the Thursday night Chocoholic Buffet. It is wonderful! They have two lines just alike and we sampled several simply delicious chocolate creations.

Ports:

The first port we stopped at was Grand Cayman. We were shuttled in by boat. It was 82 above and below the water. We skipped the first two dive flags that we saw and went on to Don Foster’s Dive Shop. The shop is in a wonderful location. He has a pool, some picnic tables, and lounge chairs. We chose to shore dive and they had all the gear we needed. We saw a boat full of cruisers go out from his shop to dive. We easily assembled our gear next to the ladders and walked down into the water. We chose to swim out on the surface to the buoy indicating the start of the reef. It was a good twenty to thirty feet the little bit that we dove. There was an unusual current flowing to the south. The person we spoke to at the shop mentioned that it is usually a still place to dive. I did see a number of different species of fish. Very colorful. At one point I looked over to my husband and there was a barracuda just beyond him in the water. He turned when I pointed but did not see it. It stayed for just about a minute then swam off lost in the light. It was a beautiful day so I did take some pictures underwater. The ones of us swimming came out good but I don’t have enough experience to get clear fish shots.

That night the ride was bumpy and when we docked at Cozumel we found out that Grand Cayman had a mild earthquake that night. Also, Cozumel had just had a storm go by. The weather was once again clear and beautiful but the waves were up. They were continuous so we telephoned Chellie with Eagle Ray Divers and cancelled. She was very understanding, refunding us the deposit. She later mentioned that the dock was closed so they would not have gone out that day. We were very disappointed to have not gotten to dive. We walked back to the ship changed and came back in, you walk up and through a mall because they are working on the road right there. We caught a taxi to Chankanaab National Marine Park. It has a cultural attraction walk that I like to take, it is also fun to watch people swim with the dolphins. They do have too many dolphins to support in the small area that is fenced in. I saw at least 10 and one had a baby. It was not a good location because Chankanaab is the location of a fish breeding ground. It is a small lagoon in land with two entrances. Tunnels that they used to let divers use but had to stop as the divers kicked up too much silt and disturbed the fish. The fish population is greatly decreased since I was there 10 years ago. The cab driver mentioned how the reef is suffering because of the increase in the visitor and population of the island but I wonder if it is not the decrease in the tropical fish that are coming to breed at Chankanaab. Less see how productive can it be to have a fish predator (dolphins) trapped outside a fish breeding ground (and not getting enough fish?). I bet they eat everything that comes within reach. (Stepping down off soap-box)

That night was again rocky. The shuttle into Key West was very smooth. My husband and I chose to walk across Key West and get our photos at the Southern most point. I really enjoyed this beauty walk and pleasant city. Sorry, we are not drinkers so I do not have a favorite spot here. Sunset was lovely!

All together we had a very enjoyable cruise. I love the laid back nature of the cruise. Gentlemen do bring your golf shirts as those were appropriate everywhere. The last night did seem to be dresser as was the Captains party Sunday night so you might want your coat and tie for those two but it is really not necessary. We were late getting to port due to a passenger who had a heart attack and was taken off in Jacksonville, Fla. Disembarkation was smooth. We did not choose to lug our luggage off the ship because we were so close to the top of the decks that were called first. We sat up in our favorite lounge at the front of the ship drinking coffee and tea till our deck was called. Makes for a good ending to a very enjoyable cruise. Retrieved our luggage and caught the shuttle to our car. Look down the line of shuttles and move toward the one at the front, as he will fill before moving the line. Overall a wonderful cruise!

Hi Salty,

Last May, I was on the Majesty in Cabin 715 forward. The motion was minimal during most of our cruise from Boston to Bermuda. However, one day of our return was exceptionally bouncy. I needed to hang on to furniture to remain upright.

I did not encounter motion sickness thanks to Bonomine.

Barb

Thanks, Barb, that is good to know. Our room is pretty near where yours was, and I think the seas in the trip out of Charleston should not be as bad as between Boston & Bermuda (at least I hope not!)

At least there should be very little engine vibration in the front. Last cruise, I was on a similar ship in the back. The vibration did not bother me, but some others in our party near us could not sleep because of it and camped out in the lobby until the staff reluctantly gave them a new room. :eek:

The motion out of Charleston was not very noticeable. You should of coarse take the medicine if you suspect motion sickness as a preventative. I think the only reason the rocking was bad for us was because of the storm that hit Cozumel before we arrived. I would expect that 6 and 7 should be better locations and I never noticed noise from engines etc anywhere on the ship.

There are 3 dive shops on your right in walking distance of the ship and the reef is right there. Water was clear but there was a slight current - probably caused by the storm that was going by to hit Cozumel. You could not tell in Grand Cayman - It was a lovely day. I would probably choose one of the first two shops to snorkel from as the reef looks to be shallower there. At the third shop where I was it is a good depth for diving.

I hope you both have great weather.

Carol

Hi! I am also from Knoxville,TN and planning to go on the Majesty in March. Did you drive from Knoxville? If so, How long did it take? I am worried about going over the mountain in Asheville and running into construction that might make us MISS THE BOAT!

Thanks for the review, it is always helpful.

I would NOT try to drive from Knoxville to Charleston on departure day. To me the stress of possible delay wouldn't be worth the savings of a single motel night.

The most direct route is about 6 hours. I would suggest, though I realize it may be impossible for you, trying to leave Knoxville by 4pm Friday with a goal of Charleston about 10pm. You could arrange to stay in or near Charleston Friday night and go to sleep Friday knowing you're in Charleston and can leisurely visit Charleston and make your way to the ship at your leisure. Better yet would be leaving KTown early enough on friday to enjoy dinner Friday night in Charleston.

KtoC.jpg

I usually stay right over the Cooper River Bridge in Mount Pleasant. You can stay at the Red Roof or Masters Inn for relatively cheap (about $45 per night).

I agree w/ Greg, don't chance it.

p.s.

We experienced a little bumpy ride when we left Charleston on 11/27 but did not get sick. You could just tell the ship was bouncing up and down a little!

p.p.s

Greg, have you decided on your next cruise?

I drove to Charleston from 2 hours north of Knoxville in 7 hours. That was with 3 short stops for gas and RR. We left on Friday night and doves to Asheville, NC and got to Charleston in plenty of time (especially considering the boat was delayed from the previous trip.)

The ideal thing to do would be go down the night befor, find a cheap motel room, and enjoy downtown Charleston befor the boat leaves.

Archived