Photos of the new Canada Line YVR -> Canada Place

scottbee

It looks like you'd get off at Canada Line-City Centre, then walk a couple of blocks west to Burrard (Sutton Place is Burrard & Robson approx)

OR you could ride all the way to Waterfront and take a cab the short distance to the hotel.

Does this sound right, Scott?

Ell52 ~ Thanks for your reply. I thought we could go all the way to Waterfront but then I would feel silly taking a taxi the short distance to the hotel. Think I'll wait and see how I feel that day as to which stop I end up getting off at :p

Yes it is Waterfront Station you want for the Pan Pacific....you will be within 150 paces from it.

Does that mean that it would make sense to exit the Cordova (slightly uphill) exit or should we still exit at Hasting and Granville (slightly downhill)?

Ideally I would prefer to walk downhill but if the Pan Pacific is actually that close...

Thanks everyone for your input and help!

Does that mean that it would make sense to exit the Cordova (slightly uphill) exit or should we still exit at Hasting and Granville (slightly downhill)?

Ideally I would prefer to walk downhill but if the Pan Pacific is actually that close...

Thanks everyone for your input and help!

While all the signage will probably send you to the Cordova St exit, and it looks on a map like it might be closer, I think the Hastings&Granville one is the better choice. The distance walked will actually be similar as you have to walk a block east (underground) to get to the cordova exit, and then backtrack, and as you noticed, Hastings -> Canada Place is slightly downhill, whereas Cordova to Canada Place is uphill.

Both have escalators and elevators so either will work with luggage.

Pic 137 of 140 shows the hours of operation from YVR northbound to be: (first train) 04:55 to (last train) 01:36....but according to the canada line site here (link) it shows YVR to waterfront to be 5:10 a.m. 12:57 a.m.

I'm confused. Was that pic from the airport as it seems like is has to be...and so the true last train is 1:36 am or do you think they are wrong and the website is correct?

I'm curious because my flight gets in at 11:42pm and I hope to still make the last train but I will have to still go through customs before I can get to it. Hopefully I can still make the 12:57am one if that is the last train.

Pic 137 of 140 shows the hours of operation from YVR northbound to be: (first train) 04:55 to (last train) 01:36....but according to the canada line site here (link) it shows YVR to waterfront to be 5:10 a.m. 12:57 a.m.

I'm confused. Was that pic from the airport as it seems like is has to be...and so the true last train is 1:36 am or do you think they are wrong and the website is correct?

I'm curious because my flight gets in at 11:42pm and I hope to still make the last train but I will have to still go through customs before I can get to it. Hopefully I can still make the 12:57am one if that is the last train.

The pic was at the airport station.

We're coming into Vancouver several days before our cruise and will be staying at the Hotel Vancouver downtown (great President's Club special rate). Is there a near-by skytrain station? Would it be worthwhile for us to get transit passes, and do those include the Skytrain as well as in-city transportation? We'll come in on a Wednesday evening for a cruise leaving Sunday, and we like using public transit whenever we can. Also, we'll stay Saturday night at the Hotel Vancouver Waterfront on a HAL pre-cruise special. Should we plan on a cab between hotels, or is there a public transit link that wouldn't be too crowded on a Saturday? Thalpnks in advance for your help.

"I'm confused. Was that pic from the airport as it seems like is has to be...and so the true last train is 1:36 am or do you think they are wrong and the website is correct? "

The website is correct and the signs at the airport have now be changed - just got back from another ride on the Canada Line and made a point of saying to myself to check out that info - will upload a picture with the new times a little later.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

We're coming into Vancouver several days before our cruise and will be staying at the Hotel Vancouver downtown (great President's Club special rate). Is there a near-by skytrain station? Would it be worthwhile for us to get transit passes, and do those include the Skytrain as well as in-city transportation? We'll come in on a Wednesday evening for a cruise leaving Sunday, and we like using public transit whenever we can. Also, we'll stay Saturday night at the Hotel Vancouver Waterfront on a HAL pre-cruise special. Should we plan on a cab between hotels, or is there a public transit link that wouldn't be too crowded on a Saturday? Thalpnks in advance for your help.

2½ blocks from the hotel Vancouver to the "Vancouver -City Centre" station.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.282623,-123.119552&spn=0.004276,0.011362&z=17

I would think unless you have a day of going a bunch of places, buying tickets one at a time will work out best. Especially given you arrive on an evening, when the system reverts to a single zone. ($2.50 airport -> downtown). Transit tickets include Skytrain, Seabus and the bus system. For more info http://translink.bc.ca/

Scott - Thank you so much for taking the time to take and post all those pictures. It really gives us a much better feel and confidence going into all of this now. You have answered all my questions. I do just want to clarify which exit I should use. I am staying at the Renaissance (Marriott). Should I use the Granville/Hastings or Cordova exit?? I am such a visual person. If I see things on a map I'm fine, but can't seem to figure out which direction I will be facing when I exit and which way to walk when I come out the exit. Sorry :o Thank you again.

Scott - Thank you so much for taking the time to take and post all those pictures. It really gives us a much better feel and confidence going into all of this now. You have answered all my questions. I do just want to clarify which exit I should use. I am staying at the Renaissance (Marriott). Should I use the Granville/Hastings or Cordova exit?? I am such a visual person. If I see things on a map I'm fine' date=' but can't seem to figure out which direction I will be facing when I exit and which way to walk when I come out the exit. Sorry :o Thank you again.[/quote']

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.287095,-123.116419&spn=0.008552,0.022724&z=16

You definitely want the Hastings street exit, as the Marriott is on W.Hastings (1133 W.Hastings).

Distance wise it's a toss up between the Yaletown/Roundhouse stop and Vancouver City Center - take the latter as it is level vs the former which is a gentle climb up.

Hope this helps and enjoy your stay at the Best Western - I can see the hotel from my condo.

Cheers

Dennis

... The Bestwestern Downtown Vancouver please. It's at 718 Drake St.

Thanks in advance!

Pat

718 is approx Granville & Drake, I'd say probably better to get off at Yaletown. see map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.276457,-123.120174&spn=0.017107,0.045447&z=15

I know most posters are heading from YVR to the cruise terminal but, we'll be travelling from Nanaimo to YVR on a Thursday morning (Oct. 8th). We've done the bus from the Ferry Terminal to downtown numerous times (#257 Express) but, this time, want to hook up with the Skytrain. I'll go to Translink and plunk in our details to see what comes up but, any tips from those in the know? Our time is quite tight as our flight leaves at 12:20 p.m. We're going to catch the 6:00a.m. ferry out of Departure Bay, hope to get the 8:25a.m. #257 from HB then.....Skytrain from where? Fingers crossed that even with traffic we'll make YVR by 10:30 or so.

Oh, does a transfer from the #257 work on the Skytrain - sorry if you've already answered this, I did read all the posts but, just skimmed really.

I know most posters are heading from YVR to the cruise terminal but, we'll be travelling from Nanaimo to YVR on a Thursday morning (Oct. 8th). We've done the bus from the Ferry Terminal to downtown numerous times (#257 Express) but, this time, want to hook up with the Skytrain. I'll go to Translink and plunk in our details to see what comes up but, any tips from those in the know? Our time is quite tight as our flight leaves at 12:20 p.m. We're going to catch the 6:00a.m. ferry out of Departure Bay, hope to get the 8:25a.m. #257 from HB then.....Skytrain from where? Fingers crossed that even with traffic we'll make YVR by 10:30 or so.

Oh, does a transfer from the #257 work on the Skytrain - sorry if you've already answered this, I did read all the posts but, just skimmed really.

You might be better off taking the Duke Point ferry to Tsawwassen, then onto the #620 to Bridgeport Station and transfer to Canada Line-YVR. Seems more direct.

Just a thought.

ell

In Oct, the ferry leaves Nanaimo at 06:30, but yes, the 257 takes you to waterfront, and then the same 2 zone ticket will take you to YVR on Skytrain from Waterfront.

The other option (if you really did want to be earlier) is the 0545 DukePt - Tsawwassen, then the #620 to Bridgeport, and Skytrain for the last 2 miles into YVR. May not be an option for you anyway, as Duke is a lot harder to get to on the island side, as you're probably aware of.

I love your pictures of the Skytrain. We were thinking about taking the Airporter form the Airport instead since I do have some mobility issures and am bothered if walking too far at a time. Would the airporter be better, would we catch it about in the same direction as the skytrain. I hope that makes sence. We will be getting a cruise ship at Canada Place on Sept. 16th. Thank you for you help.

I love your pictures of the Skytrain. We were thinking about taking the Airporter form the Airport instead since I do have some mobility issures and am bothered if walking too far at a time. Would the airporter be better, would we catch it about in the same direction as the skytrain. I hope that makes sence. We will be getting a cruise ship at Canada Place on Sept. 16th. Thank you for you help.

If you're in a wheelchair, then Skytrain would be fine, as it's all level access w/ elevators. You'll actually walk about 3x the distance inside the airport than you do to get and get off Skytrain if that helps put it in perspective. Also, double check about the Airporter, as I believe they're closing down soon.

If you have difficulty walking more than a block at a time, probably a taxi is best and can drop you door to door.

The Canada Line and Skytrain generally work extremely well if you have reasonable mobility and can handle your own luggage. However if you have a problem with any of these than I would suggest an alternative mode of transportation. The YVR Airporter will remain in operation until 9/30/09 after which it will shut down; there current fare is about $14 per person. A cab fare from YVR to Canada Place will cost you just under $35.

Archived