Photos of the new Canada Line YVR -> Canada Place

scottbee

Will be taking the Canada line train on Sunday Sept 27th from YVR to Waterfront station for our cruise. What type of fare do we have to buy? 3 zone? What is the best way to get from Waterfront station to Canada Place check-in?

Will be taking the Canada line train on Sunday Sept 27th from YVR to Waterfront station for our cruise. What type of fare do we have to buy? 3 zone? What is the best way to get from Waterfront station to Canada Place check-in?

there are no zones on evenings/weekends, so the answer is 1 zone $2.50 (weekdays normally it's 2 zones $3.75)

The best way to get to Canada Place is to exit using the Granville St exit (not the Cordova St one that 90% of the people are heading toward). This puts you on the street at the corner of W.Hastings and Granville.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.286073,-123.11348&spn=0.004276,0.011362&z=17

From there, 1 block up, 2 over and your at the cruise ships. There's a photo in my album which clearly shows both the Granville St exit and the whale tale of the Carnival Spirit to give you an idea of how close it is

Thanks for this Scottbee.

Can I ask you a question please. Is the St Regis hotel within a reasonable walking distance of one of the entrances to the Canada Line station?

Many thanks again for all your useful information on these boards.

This helps so much, I feel like I can do this now without too much worry. The only question I have is where you validate the pre paid tickets. What is that, and do we tourists have to worry about that going to and from the airport and downtown?

If you are buying a single fare ticket, you don't have to worry about validating. There will be a date and time stamp on the ticket. This will likely be the case for most visitors/tourists.

You only validate prepaid tickets (the ones that come in a book) at a machine -- to stamp date and time to prevent re-use. If you do use prepaid tickets, you MUST do this. There is a hefty fine if you're caught without a validated ticket.

The St Regis would be two blocks from the Vancouver Center station - exit station to the Street - walk down one block on Granville to Dunsmuir - turn left and in less than a block you are there - it is possible to do this underground by walking through the Mall and then into Granville station and out onto Dunsmuir by the hotel but it is a bit complicated + it would only work during mall hours.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

This helps so much, I feel like I can do this now without too much worry. The only question I have is where you validate the pre paid tickets. What is that, and do we tourists have to worry about that going to and from the airport and downtown?

You can buy pre-paid tickets in books of 10 which are a little cheaper than one offs if you travel transit a lot. When you use them, they need to be endorsed. For example 10 two zone tickets are $28.50, vs $37.50 if you bought them individually.

For an out of town visitor, it's not worth it, just spend the $3.75 at the regular ticket machine (which are endorsed as you buy them)

Thanks for this Scottbee.

Can I ask you a question please. Is the St Regis hotel within a reasonable walking distance of one of the entrances to the Canada Line station?

Many thanks again for all your useful information on these boards.

The St Regis is at the corner of Granville & Seymour, and right next door to the Granville station on the old :-( line.

The previous poster on this got it backwards; from Vancouver city center head two blocks on Granville and turn RIGHT. Alternately, ride it to Waterfront, use the 'Granvile/Hastings' exit, walk two blocks up Granville and turn left onto Dunsmuir

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.280208,-123.104811&spn=0.017106,0.045447&z=15

Scottbee ~ Thanks for all of the information and pictures. A visual is good. We will be flying into Vancouver on September 10 and will be staying at the Sutton Place (good price via Priceline:D) and would like to take the Canada Line but after looking at maps and reading other posts I still can't figure out which stop we would exit. Help please!

Scottbee ~ Thanks for all of the information and pictures. A visual is good. We will be flying into Vancouver on September 10 and will be staying at the Sutton Place (good price via Priceline:D) and would like to take the Canada Line but after looking at maps and reading other posts I still can't figure out which stop we would exit. Help please!

It looks like you'd get off at Canada Line-City Centre, then walk a couple of blocks west to Burrard (Sutton Place is Burrard & Robson approx)

OR you could ride all the way to Waterfront and take a cab the short distance to the hotel.

Does this sound right, Scott?

Hello,

Thanks for the information on the YVR - Canada Place rail.

I am familiar with YVR and Canada Place, but could you tell us some more regarding luggage handling? Are there elevators at YVR and where you get off the train so that you do not have to haul luggage up or down stairs? The pictures are great but I probably missed seeing the elevators.

My wife and I once moved our luggage from the Avis office in Vancouver to Canada Place in the rain and we even went too far, that is, beyond where the embarkation for the ships begin. We had to make our way through the corridors of the Convention Center and parking garage. And finally we made it to Embarkation. Sounds like a hassle but it really was great fun.

O'Canada, why is it you do so much really well and do the right thing so much of the time?

Thanks Scott - yes it should be right - I didn't mention the Waterfront Station exit because you have to walk a little uphill.

For the Blue Horizon it will be the Vancouver Center Station.

Some inspiring entreprenuer should make a listing of which hotels are closest to each of the stops.

I noticed on the news that some of the cabbies have come to the realization that people are going to want to use a cab for the short distance to the hotels from the stations once the weather turns so I see more cabs being parked near the stations.

Cheers

Dennis

Hello,

Thanks for the information on the YVR - Canada Place rail.

I am familiar with YVR and Canada Place, but could you tell us some more regarding luggage handling? Are there elevators at YVR and where you get off the train so that you do not have to haul luggage up or down stairs? The pictures are great but I probably missed seeing the elevators.

My wife and I once moved our luggage from the Avis office in Vancouver to Canada Place in the rain and we even went too far, that is, beyond where the embarkation for the ships begin. We had to make our way through the corridors of the Convention Center and parking garage. And finally we made it to Embarkation. Sounds like a hassle but it really was great fun.

O'Canada, why is it you do so much really well and do the right thing so much of the time?

Photos 15 and 16 show the quite large elevators that are big enough to easily put luggage carts into, you can take the YVR luggage carts pretty much right to the platform.

http://picasaweb.google.com/vancouvercruise/CanadaLineYVRToCanadaPlaceWaterfrontStation#5371846361352008354

You never have to haul anything up and down stairs. There are elevators at all stations, and escalators at most (both up and down at the major stations, at least up at most stations).

Some inspiring entreprenuer should make a listing of which hotels are closest to each of the stops.

A good idea.

I was surprised how many people unaware of the new Skytrain were taking it anyway. Lots of lineups at the ticket machines as people figured it out and were slightly lost (I answered a lot of questions from tourists). I think most European and Asian travellers are used to a system like this, so it wasn't so much of a foreign concept as it seemed to be to the Americans, although a lot of US airports are getting onboard with similar systems, SFO&BOS jump to mind, and next year SEA.

It looks like you'd get off at Canada Line-City Centre, then walk a couple of blocks west to Burrard (Sutton Place is Burrard & Robson approx)

OR you could ride all the way to Waterfront and take a cab the short distance to the hotel.quote]

This is right aaccoding to google maps... we're coming in on Sep20 for one nite. the research I did indicates that it is only 0.4km.... from the City Centre stop...west on Robson to Burrard and left on Burrard. 5 to 10 min walk ..about 3 1/2 blocks. We're planning on using Canada Line, and the cab fare we save will go towards dinner :D

And thanks Scott for the great pics. City Centre stop is one before Canada Place right??

Thanks

OR you could ride all the way to Waterfront and take a cab the short distance to the hotel.quote]

This is right aaccoding to google maps... we're coming in on Sep20 for one nite. the research I did indicates that it is only 0.4km.... from the City Centre stop...west on Robson to Burrard and left on Burrard. 5 to 10 min walk ..about 3 1/2 blocks. We're planning on using Canada Line, and the cab fare we save will go towards dinner :D

And thanks Scott for the great pics. City Centre stop is one before Canada Place right??

Thanks

Yep, it's the 2nd to last stop. The last stop is called WATERFRONT.

This map shows it quite clearly

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.281524,-123.116055&spn=0.017105,0.045447&z=15

Archived