Photos of the new Canada Line YVR -> Canada Place

scottbee

Dave, good question but I don't know, I have never used a cc for transit, I used to just purchase the books of tickets....but see your point you don't want to have pay a foreign transaction fee 3X. I am sure that someone will have the answer though...just stay tuned.

Puterdude - how about cash (CD), will that work? I can pick up some before we sail I am sure. I guess it would be $10.50 for 3 - does it take change? I even have an old $1 bill here at home but I doubt it would take it.

DaveOKC

Canadian cash will work for sure and the machine will give change. You can go to a bank or currency exchange at YVR if you wish. While the old $1 & $2 bills are still legal tender, I doubt that the new fangled machines are programed to accept them.;)

Puterdude - how about cash (CD), will that work? I can pick up some before we sail I am sure. I guess it would be $10.50 for 3 - does it take change? I even have an old $1 bill here at home but I doubt it would take it.

DaveOKC

For the life of me, I can't remember if you can buy multiple tickets at once.

The machines do take change (bills & coin), but I suspect it wont take the old $1 and $2 bills as they haven't been in general circulation for eons (20yrs). You can easily get a C$20 (or $10) doing currency exchange onboard, or walk outside of Canada Place, and buy a couple of coffees at Starbucks with a US$20 and use your C$ change you'll get in return.

They'll be plenty of opportunities to get C$ in the 2-3 blocks you need to walk to get to the subway entrance.

It appears to be a 2 or 3 block walk from the last stop to the port ( when travelling from the the airport). Is this a reasonable walk considering most people will be hauling their luggage?

Is there a problem with carring luggage on the Canada line. Also would tranfering lines be a problem?

It doesn't appear that the luggage issue has been covered in previous posts.

Thanks

As the trains are servicing the airport, they have been made to handle luggage. However, this has compromised the amount of seating available. They are also allowing bicycles on these trains as well.

The walk from Waterfront to Canada Place is definitely doable if hauling luggage. Keep in mind there is still construction taking place on Granville Street. I have seen people with their luggage at the corner of Granville/Pender struggling somewhat over the gravel on the sidewalk.

We are taking the skytrain to Canada Place on Sept. 16. We have Canadian money, but I am wondering since someone mentioned "old" bills, if we need to exchange them for current.

2 of us: We have $5, 1986 date on it

We have $2, 1986 also on it

And 2, 25Cent silver coins, 1979

Is this money too Old for the machines?

I thought this was going to work nicely, since the total for 2 would be $7.50.

Tell me, Canadians, will this work? or do I need to trade it in for something more current. Don't want to get all the way out to the sky train only to have the money rejected in the machine.

Thanks.

We are taking the skytrain to Canada Place on Sept. 16. We have Canadian money, but I am wondering since someone mentioned "old" bills, if we need to exchange them for current.

2 of us: We have $5, 1986 date on it

We have $2, 1986 also on it

And 2, 25Cent silver coins, 1979

Is this money too Old for the machines?

I thought this was going to work nicely, since the total for 2 would be $7.50.

Tell me, Canadians, will this work? or do I need to trade it in for something more current. Don't want to get all the way out to the sky train only to have the money rejected in the machine.

Thanks.

I would advise against using the $2 bill. We haven't had those in circulation in quite awhile. In a previous post when it mentioned "old bills", they were referring to those bills no longer in circulation like the $1 bill and $2 bill. It doesn't matter the age of the coins or denominations higher then $5 bills.

So if I use a $20 Canadian, do you get change in coins? Is the $1 and $2 now in coins? If I went to the currency exchange and traded in the $2 bill, would they give me 2 $1 coins?

Sorry, it's been a while since we have been in Canada.

If I put in 2 $5 bills, what kind of change do I get, coins? Thanks okay

Anybody want my $2 bill?

So if I use a $20 Canadian, do you get change in coins? Is the $1 and $2 now in coins? If I went to the currency exchange and traded in the $2 bill, would they give me 2 $1 coins?

Anybody want my $2 bill?

Canadian currency at this time consists of a $1 coin (called a Loonie, because of the minted picture of a Loon on the back of the coin).....a $2 coin (called a Toonie - for obvious reasons) and, bills in $5, $10, $20, $50, $100, and $1000 denominations. Coins less than $1 are in the same denominations as yours. If changing a $20, just state the amount of coinage (including the Loonies, and Toonies) needed. :)

Anybody want my $2 bill?

Yes I fear you would get you change in $1 & $2 coins, we call the $1 coin a "loonie" as it has the image of a loon on it and dispite the fact the $2 coin has the image of a bear on it we call it a "toonie".

Yes, you could go to a bank at YVR and get your $2 bill broken down into two loonies; I am not sure that a currency exchange would do it for you as that is not their real purpose.

Not sure how many people are travelling on those two $5 bills but lets assume it is two, then your total fare, at least to the end of this year, will be $7.50 so you will get back two quarter and likely 1 toonie but it could be 2 loonies.

Sure I would love your $2 bill just leave it with a porter at Canada Place and tell him I will be by to pick it up on 9/19, I am sure he will oblige.:rolleyes:

Anybody want my $2 bill?

If you put in two $5 bills for a $7.50 charge, you'd get three coins in return, a $2 coin and 2x 25¢ coins. Maybe two $1s and not a $2, but you get the idea.

If you want to swap your money around, the currency exchange in the airport will do it, or buy a coffee ($2.00), pay with a US$10 which they'll credit you for Cdn$10.50 typical merchant exchange rate, and you'll get $8.50 in Canadian change. Will that do the trick?

We (3 of us) used the Canada Line on August 18. We were going to the Fairmont Waterfront.

Very limited signage at the airport, (actually hardly any) had to ask where it was.Baggage carts can not be used once you get to the bridge. We bought Zone 2 tickets. Getting off at Waterfront was very confusing, as there are no signs to let one know what street you come out on, or even show that you could get to the Fairmont without going to street level.Very confusing, plus there was construction on the street

Now when we were leaving Vancouver we found out that taking the elevator to the concourse level we had no problem finding the elevator and getting on the Canada Line.

I would love to know who counted the 100 paces in a previous post. My DD who is 5'11" and all legs jokingly said "how long were this persons legs, this is more than 100 paces LOL

Thanks Vancouver for the Canada Line, also thanks for the free luggage carts. Perhaps Toronto can learn a few things from you.

I think I understand the currency now. Will definitely try to exchange the $2 bill for a toonie, but if they won't do it we will use two $5. Thanks everyone for your help.

I have been wondering about the 100 paces myself. Seems it it more like a couple of blocks. But, we have luggage on rollers, are walkers, so I think we will do ok.

I'll talk to the porter about leaving the $2 with him for you later, but I bet it stays with him, tee hee.

I think I understand the currency now. Will definitely try to exchange the $2 bill for a toonie, but if they won't do it we will use two $5. Thanks everyone for your help.

I have been wondering about the 100 paces myself. Seems it it more like a couple of blocks. But, we have luggage on rollers, are walkers, so I think we will do ok.

I'll talk to the porter about leaving the $2 with him for you later, but I bet it stays with him, tee hee.

How dare you, I have absolute faith in the honesty of the International Brotherhood of Longshore & Wharehouse Union....over the years they have been the epitome of integrity if not the watch dogs of moral conduct on the west coast of Canada and the US. My $2.00 bill is as safe with them as it is in a bank.:rolleyes:

Re the 100 paces, I will wear the hairshirt for that. But if you stay in Waterfron Station and come up at the Howe St. exit you are not much further than 100 paces from Canada Place. Now I will need to pace that off when I am there in Sept.

As for the post re signs in YVR....the airport is a busy place and there are lots of signs....it is easy to get confused. Not that that is an excuse and I am certain that others may find the same problem. However I equally certain that the Canada Line people and the YVR folks will work to clear up as much confusion as possible.

Hi. We're thinking of using the skytrain to get to the Metropolitan Hotel at 645 Howe Street (close to West Georgia St). Would you be able to advise as to which stop would be closest to the hotel, or would the airoporter bus drop us off closer to the hotel?

Hi. We're thinking of using the skytrain to get to the Metropolitan Hotel at 645 Howe Street (close to West Georgia St). Would you be able to advise as to which stop would be closest to the hotel, or would the airoporter bus drop us off closer to the hotel?

Your closest stop will be Vancouver Centre which is at Georgia and Granville...from there you will have a walk of about 1.5 blocks to the Metropolitan. Once out on Georgia St. you will walk one block west to Howe St, turn right towards the mountains and you will see the Metropolitan on the left hand side or west side of the street. The walk is very safe and level...maybe just a little downhill on Howe St. Not sure when you are cruising but the Airporter will cease operation on 9/30/09:)

645 Howe is half way from Dunsmuir to W.Georgia. The hotel is exactly half way (makes no difference) to get off at Waterfront (use the Granville St exit) or Vancouver City Centre.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.2834,-123.117213&spn=0.008552,0.022724&z=16

With our flight arriving at YVR at 9 PM, is customs open 24 hours and would you suggest taking the Canada Line to the Pan Pacific? If so, any easy directions would be appreciated. Thanks,Donna

Customs is open as long as flights are still arriving.

If you are staying near Canada Place and don't have much luggage it would be a good way to get into the city.

Keith

With our flight arriving at YVR at 9 PM, is customs open 24 hours and would you suggest taking the Canada Line to the Pan Pacific? If so, any easy directions would be appreciated. Thanks,Donna

Yes, Vancouver is a 24 hour port of entry. The last international arrivals of the day are AS701/SEA which arrives at 11:57pm, and CX889/JFK @ 01:30am, and often even later on charter flights from popular tourist locations like Mexico and Cuba.

And yes, Skytrain will work great to get to the Pan Pacific. As for easy directtions, there's a photo essay of how to do it step by step at the beginning of this thread

Just got back from Vancouver the other day and used the skytrain to get to the airport. Very nice and quick and cheap!

We were staying at the Delta Vancouver Suites on West Hastings & Seymour. It was a short one block walk down the hill to the Waterfront station from the hotel. We had an early flight so we left the hotel at 5:15 AM and we were waiting for the train by ~5:30. It took about 25 minutes to the airport and the station at the airport is right across the street at the front entrance of the airport.

There is plenty of room for luggage. It was $3.75 each for a 2 zone ticket and we used our CC right at the machine. You don't do anything with your ticket, just hold onto it in case someone wants to see it. It is on the honor system that you have a ticket, there is no ticket booth or anything like that to put your ticket in. You could walk right on the train without paying if you wanted to.

Ticket Machine

Inside Car

Archived