Noordam or Solstice mid-Dec So. Caribbean?

V and S

We are about to book a cruise for mid-December RT Florida (so we don't have to fly out to an island). We've narrowed it down to Celebrity Solstice 12/13 7 day FLL-San Juan-St. Kitts-St. Maarten-FLL, Aquaclass balcony or Holland Noordam 12/11 10 day FLL-Half Moon Cay-Tortola-Martinique-Barbados-St. Lucia-St. Maarten-FLL, balcony. We just cancelled a reservation on Seabourn because, even with the discounts, it was just a little too much of a stretch for us this year, but we hope to sail with them someday in the Med.

About us: we are 49 and 40, take ballroom dance classes, we both teach at universities, V loves (adores) high tea, S is a martial artist, V is a fine artist, neither of us are big drinkers/partiers. We've been on Princess, Disney, and RCCL and were very disappointed with the food, but loved kayaking in Cabo and relaxing at the beach on Castaway Cay, and we loved most port days, in general.

We'd so much appreciate the opinions of those who've sailed on either or both of these lines/ships! They both look lovely. (We are cross-posting here and on the Celebrity board.) Cruise Critic posters have been so helpful in the past. Thank you!! :)

Celebrity doesn't allow smoking on their balconies and HAL currently does. If it is important to you that you either be able to smoke on you verandah - or not smell the possible aroma of smoke from any neighboring verdandahs, that could be a decision maker.

We did the other half of the Noordam cruise last yr and had a great time and are doing the 12/11 half this year. We enjoy wandering around different ports, talking with the locals, trying some of the foods and just relaxing. We did have quite a few retirees on our cruise but they were very active. I love going to tea and HAL has Indonesian, Viennese and Dutch teas in the dining room and regular teas in the lounge. We have always been satisfied with the food and service on HAL and keep coming back.;)

Thank you for the responses! We have only been to the Bahamas and, although I've read some about the various islands, it's hard to get a "feel" for the itineraries. We had a very bad experience on another line regarding the food, too, so that is very important to us (as I ended up literally losing 10 pounds I didn't have to lose!) :o

I've sailed both ships and would go with Noordam because 1) the 3 extra days, 2) what I think it a superior itinerary (Barbados is my favorite Caribbean island; Tortola, St L and St M are very nice), and Noordam is my favorite ship of the 8 lines I've sailed. Don't get me wrong - Solstice is beautiful and brand new - but nothing beats the aft pool, Explorations and hyrdopool / thermal suite on Noordam.

Thanks, GMoney! You sure have sailed a lot! 361 days! I have read the Caribbean board, but it is both overwhelming and a little confusing, in that people from all ships post there. I'm glad to hear you think the Noordam has a superior itinerary--it seemed good to us, too, but then, what do we know?!?

I have heard about the Baths excursion from Tortola, which sounds lovely. Any others you'd (or anyone else) recommend?

Thanks, GMoney! You sure have sailed a lot! 361 days! I have read the Caribbean board, but it is both overwhelming and a little confusing, in that people from all ships post there. I'm glad to hear you think the Noordam has a superior itinerary--it seemed good to us, too, but then, what do we know?!?

I have heard about the Baths excursion from Tortola, which sounds lovely. Any others you'd (or anyone else) recommend?

The Baths are very nice and worth seeing for sure. Can be a little crowded, but still worth it. Stop and Pussers and have a Painkiller #8 before you return to the ship. :eek:

Other than that, it really depends on where your interests lie, but please do yourselves a big favor and spend your Barbados day at Crane Beach. Google it. It's beautiful, uncrowded, and you can have a lovely lunch at the Crane Hotel.

On St M, you can't go wrong with Orient Beach, or rent a car and drive to Marigot.

Even the posters on the Celebrity board agreed! We've booked the 10 day Dec. 11th Noordam out of FLL and are really excited.

Thanks so much to all of you. I believe the posters on the HAL forum are amongst the kindest and most polite on this entire site. :)

Archived