Beach at Fort Lauderdale

calenita

it depends on what is happening out in the ocean......last time i was there it was a little rough (they had red or yelow flags up meaning the ocean was a little mean)....but you never know.

as for packed?? possibly-still vacation time for many people though it shouldn't be too bad.

What is the beach like at Fort Lauderdale? Is it pretty rough/wavy? We are staying at the Westin Beach Resort this weekend. Will it be pretty packed? Thanks all.

Probably busy but Fl colleges and a lot of schools start next week so probably not as packed. Green flags are flying, only a 30% chance of showers and chop is predicted to be only 2 feet. Bill doesn't appear to affecting that part of the coast too much.

Have a great weekend and cruise.

The Fort Lauderdale beaches attract a good number of people on sunny weekends, but finding beach space (unlike finding a nearby parking space) has never been a problem. The water's great--just watch out for the kite-surfers.

The surf isn't as smoothe as the caribbean but it's still pretty smoothe in the summer. Last weekend there was a lot of seaweed though, which can happen in storm season. It won't be packed, but there will be people around for atmosphere. The beach is pretty wide, so there's plenty of room for everyone. The Westin has a walking bridge, so that you don't have to cross A1A traffic.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back and we LOVED the beach at Fort Lauderdale. We just hung out there for three days before our cruise. As I said we were at the Westin. The waves were perfect for the kids. Just enough but not too rough. The water was VERY clear and warm. The beach was not crowded at all. We used our lounge chairs from the hotel and would rent a beach umbrella too. It was a great beach. Not crowded at all. The beaches in the Bahamas were much more crowded and don't even get me started on how crowded the beach was at Great Stirrup Cay! So we loved Fort Lauderdale and will be back.

P.S. - also lots of places to walk to and we never took the water taxi although this could have been an option.

Archived