£900 award after cruise is ruined

zider

I think that "small annex" they were referring to is the Britannia club" dining room....whic in fact I prefer!...loved that they were offerred 2000 pounds prior to the court case which they turned down!:p:p

Sounds like it, doesn't it? It looks to me like another case of sensationalist reporting and an outcome approaching common sense.

:)

I think that "small annex" they were referring to is the Britannia club" dining room....whic in fact I prefer!...loved that they were offerred 2000 pounds prior to the court case which they turned down!:p:p
I wondered about that - and it would seem odd since the Britannia Club is more expensive than Britannia since it's single seating. It also has quite a few staff from the old QE2 Queens Grill, or at least so I've heard.

So out of a fare of GBP250/day, GBP150 is the value of dinner in the Britannia?

Can I just pay the hundred pounds a day and eat in the "fast food buffet" or the "dining annex"? Please? Pretty Please? :D

I have also been seated in the "back room," it is not very large and not as luxurious as the main room, and you cannot hear any "music". However it did not ruin my cruise which was my 10th with Cunard.

Not sure what was meant by the "fast food buffet" on the first night. I would use that term to refer to the Kings Court, but I have never been "forced" to use that as apposed to the Britannia. (Only time tht is the ONLY place is lunch on embarkation). it is true of course that not everyone gets their choice of time, perhaps they wished to dine at a certain time and chose to go to the Kings Court rather than the time asigned.

Any one on line who was on the same cruise.?

As for illness , that is a risk we all take when travelling "in a crowd"I have also been ill on at least two cruises.but again took that to be an risk which may or may not happen.

It is unfortunate that they did not accept the original offer, and will now most likely "bad mouth" Cunard.

I had a bad experience on QV (wrote about it in my review) but these events would not stop me booking again, indeed I have done other cruises with Cunard since that time.

There is a small room off the rear of the Britannia on the other side from Britannia Club which is referred to as the annex. I call it purgatory because you do feel removed from everything. I actually was seated there for dinner on a crossing and have also been seated there for breakfast several times.

In English Law because the award was less than they had already been offered and turned down, they could be held responsible to pay all the costs of the case, ie both theirs and Cunards. Isn't life great.

That would be normal - costs from the point of the offer being made. Which will be hugely more.

I also wondered how they managed to spend that much on the holiday in the first place - flight upgrades?

There is a small room off the rear of the Britannia on the other side from Britannia Club which is referred to as the annex. I call it purgatory because you do feel removed from everything. I actually was seated there for dinner on a crossing and have also been seated there for breakfast several times.

And on the deck plan on the Cunard US website, this room on the starboard, aft side of lower Britannia is also labelled "Britannia Club" even though it is not! Bugs me every time I look at it!;)

And Cunard.
Cunard in fact have been rapped over the knuckles for the judge made a interesting ruling that sets a president for any future cases lIn his lengthy ruling Judge Roger Ibbotson threw out the Hoylands' claim that company was liable for their illness, but he accepted that they should receive compensation for Cunard's failure to seat them in the Britannia Restaurant as they had expected so if they do not seat you in the right Restaurant they have to pay you compensation of £150 a day per head.

How can a restaurant "be overbooked by 140 passengers" anway?? Surely it will seat all Britannia cabin people, or do they work it like aircraft, knowing that a percentage will always be eating elsewhere?

How can a restaurant "be overbooked by 140 passengers" anway?? Surely it will seat all Britannia cabin people, or do they work it like aircraft, knowing that a percentage will always be eating elsewhere?

School holidays the Q.V was also overbooked this year but they used the Todd English as a back up & some people complained about that as well.

Some people are never happy.

So they were in a room at the back, big deal. I have not eaten in there, but I sat near it one day at breakfast or lunch and it did not look that bad. They would get the same food as everyone else. It's not like they were outside the dinning room on a folding table with plastic plates.:rolleyes:

I hope they do have to pay the court costs and for a 2 day case, they will not be cheap.

School holidays the Q.V was also overbooked this year but they used the Todd English as a back up & some people complained about that as well.

Complain? :eek: I'll be very happy to dine at Todd English... unless they charge you of course...

I am also surprised to hear that the dining room is overbooked. I think it more has to do with the desired seating being fully booked. That's why this couple was "forced" to eat at the Kings Court as they couldn't be accommodated at their desired time.

Complain? :eek: I'll be very happy to dine at Todd English... unless they charge you of course...

I agree with you but i believe that there are some people that are never content and will complain about anything, those people i steer well clear of i cruise to relax & enjoy myself.

I agree with you but i believe that there are some people that are never content and will complain about anything, those people i steer well clear of i cruise to relax & enjoy myself.

I suppose though it is also to do with hopes and expectations etc.

If you read these boards, the majority of posters enthuse about Cunard, understandably, and so a new traveller will build up a certain image of their forthcoming holiday. Similarly, some posters will not tolerate any criticism of Cunard, even when people make a legitimate complaint.

Just last evening, I was talking to someone who sailed QM2 earlier this year but is doing a world cruise with P & O in January. The lady said she didn't like the 'two class' system on QM2. When we sailed, that didn't bother me in the slightest, in fact the only time I thought of it, was when I assumed that P D James, one of the guest speakers, would not be staying Britannia class - although she regularly strolled around the decks.

Hopefully, when we sail next week, the experience will be as good as I am hoping it will be and as I remember.

Sounds good to me!! Perhaps they'll be overbooked on October when I sail on her ;)

No line is perfect and justifiable complaints should be made (as I have had to do in the past on QE2), else things won't improve, but this just sounds silly.

PS: I happily accepted Cunard's offer on that occasion!

The two class argument is often used when I sail with P & O - 'we won't sail Cunard because it has the different classes!!!'. They have this on an aeroplane so why not on a ship! No-one knows where you dine unless you are asked outright which generally means 'how much did you pay for your trip?'. I am quoting this from a very good article I read last year in the Times about the imminent demise of QE2! It's such a shame that some people wont' even consider Cunard because of this class fear!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Some people are never happy.

So they were in a room at the back, big deal. I have not eaten in there, but I sat near it one day at breakfast or lunch and it did not look that bad. They would get the same food as everyone else. It's not like they were outside the dinning room on a folding table with plastic plates.:rolleyes:

I hope they do have to pay the court costs and for a 2 day case, they will not be cheap.

why would you be so critical of the claimants and wish them ill will, the only knowledge you have of the case is from a small Newspaer article, you sat near to where they were seated, well that makes you qualified doesn't it! The Hoylands clearly felt aggrieved enough to take the case as far as they did, without peoiple like them large companys would never be challenged and could do what they like.

why would you be so critical of the claimants

Probably because they have been seen to be greedy. :(

The ONE time i had a serious issue with Cunard (that was concerning mis-advertising only) they made a very generous compensation offer which i happily accepted, no need to go to Court. :D

A lot of others did let it ruin their Cruise and probably did take the matter to Court.

We had an excellent time in a lovey QG Suite on the Signal deck of QE2.

I have also dinned in that annex and it was lovely and peacefull :)

Archived