I've booked my last Carnival cruise

Rockitman

I feel your pain...when rooms for a week are now going for $450 or so PP... and I paid 2K for me and my husband...

I think I will wait to book last min also to get a better deal.

Waiting is certainly an option, if you don't care what cabin you get. But OP wanted a cat 11 and those are almost never available last min. A better option is to book ES and then you can get price adjustments up to 2 days prior to sail date.

Quite honestly, I don't see this being Carnival's fault. This type of stuff happens all the time in all facets of life, especially travel. It's life.

You book a 30 day advanced airfare and are happy as a clam with it. Then on the plane you find out the yokel in the middle seat next to you went on Priceline two hours ago and found a last minute fare that was 1/2 of what you paid. The airline isn't going to refund you the difference. So are you not flying that airline anymore? Or your TA gets you a great deal on a rental car and hotel and then you're in the check in line for the car and you overhear the bozo in front of you crowing about the great deal he picked up on Orbitz with a luxury car and an ocean suite at your hotel all for less than you'r epaying for the rental car. Do you not stay at the hotel or change rental car companies?

Anytime you make a decision based on the information at hand at the time you made the decision and you are pleased with the decision you made, you can't go rueing the day you made the decision because later on down the road some different information comes to light that wasn't available when you made the original decision.

You booked a great cruise in January. It's still a great cruise in September. Don't get all gloomy gus because by chance months after the fact you stumble across what might have been a better deal if it had been available in January. Just go and have the good time like you were expecting back in January.

This really doesn't seem fair. In may I had booked an OV for my mother through my TA. I later saw the BL were going at a cheaper rate than what I paid for the OV. My TA told me Carnival usually won't make any changes after balance has been paid. She said it was tough, but she did get them to change the cabin from OV to BL.

Many times a TA doesn't want to do the work to get you a lower price because it reduces their commision. It's has nothing to do with when the balance is paid either, it becomes harder when you enter the penalty phase.

Going on my 5th cruise with Carnival this September. I was a good boy and booked this thing way back in January. Paid my fair share for a Cat. 11, got a small military discount and though it's much more expensive than other rooms, I wanted to splurge this time.

So it ran me around $2400 for 2.

I get on Yahoo cruise yesterday and see that all the rooms have a special Resident Rate price now. If your zip code qualifys, and mine did, I live in Calif., Long Beach is the port, I could now book a Cat 11 for 2 for $1800.

I called my travel agent and he was sorry, but he let me know of Carnival's policy that once fare is paid in full, there's no discounting.

I then called Carnival and the agent suggested that I may be able to upgrade to a Cat 12. Called my travel agent back, and he had already looked into that and since I had booked with a military discount, I was not eligible to do this.

So Carnival's telling me to not book my cruise until the last minute I guess.

Not the way I like to operate and I probably wouldn't be crying so loud if it was just a hundred bucks or so difference, but $600???

Come on Carnival, don't you see what you're causing with this absurd policy? I'm thoruoughly disgusted with this cruise line and will be taking my business elsewhere for my next cruise.

Go ahead and flame away Carnival fanbois, you know you want to, but it's a total bull#### policy, it ain't fair. At least offer some Carnival bucks or something, don't just shut to door in my face, a loyal cruiser up until now.

Does anybody have a link or number to register complaints with them?

Try this link http://www.whogivesadamn.com

Those who talk about waiting until the last minute - sometimes that doesn't work well either. We booked 2 months in advance after watching rates for several weeks. I'm glad we didn't wait any longer, as right after we booked, rates just went higher. If we had waited, our cabin would have cost us almost $300 more per person. I'm thinking it probably will depend on when you are cruising, too. Ours was in the summer, so that probably made a big difference. I've only done 4 cruises, so I am not an expert just yet.

Going on my 5th cruise with Carnival this September. I was a good boy and booked this thing way back in January. Paid my fair share for a Cat. 11, got a small military discount and though it's much more expensive than other rooms, I wanted to splurge this time.

I get on Yahoo cruise yesterday and see that all the rooms have a special Resident Rate price now. If your zip code qualifys, and mine did, I live in Calif., Long Beach is the port, I could now book a Cat 11 for 2 for $1800.

I called my travel agent and he was sorry, but he let me know of Carnival's policy that once fare is paid in full, there's no discounting.

I then called Carnival and the agent suggested that I may be able to upgrade to a Cat 12. Called my travel agent back, and he had already looked into that and since I had booked with a military discount, I was not eligible to do this.

Not the way I like to operate and I probably wouldn't be crying so loud if it was just a hundred bucks or so difference, but $600???

Come on Carnival, don't you see what you're causing with this absurd policy? I'm thoruoughly disgusted with this cruise line and will be taking my business elsewhere for my next cruise.

Go ahead and flame away Carnival fanbois, you know you want to, but it's a total bull#### policy, it ain't fair. At least offer some Carnival bucks or something, don't just shut to door in my face, a loyal cruiser up until now.

You'll have to take a number and get in the back of the line. Another person who books and doesn't know the fare rules.

If at the time of booking there was no ES rates yet your TA should have given you the opportunity to switch to that fare when it became available. Oh wait, the TA would then have to do more work and get less money.

Enjoy whichever cruiseline you choose for your future bookings. Loyalty is so over rated. Just be loyal to yourself and you'll have no complaints.

Bill

I'm sorry for what happened. We always end up like you did. If we book early, the price goes down, if we wait, surely it goes up. Anyway, I was wondering which ship you are booked on. We just sailed on the Paradise and before that on the Splendor. They were both fantastic. If you are on the Splendor, I wonder if you are on the Spa deck if that's Cat. 11? We were and it was great. I really hope you can shake this off before your cruise and enjoy yourself in spite of the problem. I think cruising is so amazing and healing in many ways. Thanks for your post. Good luck.

I feel for you, I just had the same problem. What your TA needs to do is fill out the paperwork for ES Claim. It's one simple form posted on Carnival's website. Since you booked under the ES Rate, (I'm assuming you did) and took the military promotion, you need to tell Carnival in this form that you want to switch promotions to the Resident Rate which is much lower.

I had also submitted a cost analysis for their review. Which was accepted. It will take 3 to 4 days to hear back from Carnival via email. But, this system does work only if you are persistant, fill out the form, indicate the source of the lower rate. I too had paid in full. ES Rate then Senior Rate dropped $300pp, forfeited my previous promotion of $240 OBC and after alot of frustration I did receive the full difference as an On Board Credit (OBC). Walked away with $665 OBC. By the way I also offered that they could upgrade me to a Cat 12 for no additional cost, due to OBC and the upgrade being the same cost. They didn't go for that.

Good Luck and have patience.

The OP didn't book ES, he booked Military Rate. With Military Rate (same for FunSelect, Past Guest, Resident, and 55+) there's no Price Adjustments afrter final Payment Deadline. Submitting an ES form is incorrect and futile, as is a "cost analysis".

OP should have done his/her homework before booking. You book early to get cabin selection and any price drops up to Final Payment Deadline, or you book Early Saver for a good price and price adjustments up to 2 days before sailing (at cost of non-transferable booking and non-refundable deposit), or you book late for maybe a great deal and maybe poor (or no) cabin selection.

ken

.........and that way is common sense !!!!!!!!! Am sure that if Carnival was a much, much smaller company........they'd do something to calm you down. Pronto !

Okay........having said that.......what we do in a case like this, where we can show that we are STEADY repeat customers:

When convenient, after the cruise, write a registered letter to the PRESIDENT of Carnival.

Explain in a calm manner that you'd like him to consider compensating you in some other fashion........on your next cruise. That any reasonable "gift" would be truly appreciated. And close by saying how well a job Carnival has done for your family on these prvious cruises (list them): and how you'd like to continue this wonderful company/customer relationship.

With us, almost always something good happens.

p.s. have a fantastic cruise !

If he booked ES it won't matter. Doesn't he get the OBC for any promotion he would qualify for which is less than the current ES rate for his category room? Or am I still completely ignorant to the ES rules?

If he booked under ES then he will get the lowest rate being advertised that he qualifies for....this happened to me Wednesday, my booking is paid off, I now see a residential rate that is lower, so I submitted the online claim form and whala 2 days later I see an OBC listed! He should be ok IF he booked with the ES for sure.

The incentive is the rate is usually about 30% lower. That would be enough incentive for me.

I think its thinking like this is why Carnival was able to just put in the change last 12/1/08 with hardly a whimper from Carnival pax. I thought suddenly implementing a new rule saying no more reductions after final payment was crummy (and Im using a nicer word than Im thinking)

No, firefly, there still wouldnt be an incentive. No way would I have locked myself into a non-refundable deposit if I could get price drops with a PG rate...

This is notthe rule on all cruise lines. Celebrity continues to drop prices on a cruise we are on. Even after final payment the monies are refunded on credit card. Friends on the same cruise have seen four price drops, two after final payment. All were refunded by asking agent to go to Problem Resolution people.

The only time a cruise line should refuse to return monies is ifthe new promotion specifically says "New Bookings ONLY!).

I am just furious with Carnival, Royal Caribbean, HAL, Princess, Celebrity and NCL! I am just fuming with fury and frustration!!!!!

I am wanting to book a cruise, and I qualify for a veterans' discount, a senior-citizens discount (not the kid thing of 55 and older, but the REAL thing of 65 and older), a teacher's discount because I taught for 16 years, and a discount for being a member of AARP and AAA and the Charlotte Racquet Club. These cruise lines are refusing to give me all these discounts at the same time, even though I am eligible!!!!!!

I am going to so waaayyyyyy take them to court, just as soon as I finish with my lawsuits against my local supermarket for not refunding me the special sale price they had on some meat and canned items last week. I bought the exact same items last April and had to pay full price!!!!!

I drive a 2004 Chrysler Sebring convertible. I saw in the newspaper the other day where the same car dealer which sold me mine is now selling it for $10,000 less!!!!!! I am calling my lawyer immediately to demand that I be given the difference.

What is this world coming to?????

(Besides being increasingly filled with greed and whining?) :D:rolleyes::eek:

Do you seriously think other lines have a different policy? Lots of luck finding it!

Do you seriously think other lines have a different policy? Lots of luck finding it!

Actually RCL still does give price drops right up to sailing. Carnival started this policy last Dec, but RCL didnt join in. If I was in the OPs shoes, Id be upset about prices dropping that much too. I think Carnival is getting to be a tightwad ... probably has to in this economy .... but I hate this policy myself.

This is notthe rule on all cruise lines. Celebrity continues to drop prices on a cruise we are on. Even after final payment the monies are refunded on credit card. Friends on the same cruise have seen four price drops, two after final payment. All were refunded by asking agent to go to Problem Resolution people.

The only time a cruise line should refuse to return monies is ifthe new promotion specifically says "New Bookings ONLY!).

Yep, Celebrity is owned by RCL, same policy. They still give price drops on rates right up to sailing. I dont know why Carnival folks think everyone changed the rules when Carnival did.

Those who talk about waiting until the last minute - sometimes that doesn't work well either. We booked 2 months in advance after watching rates for several weeks. I'm glad we didn't wait any longer, as right after we booked, rates just went higher. If we had waited, our cabin would have cost us almost $300 more per person. I'm thinking it probably will depend on when you are cruising, too. Ours was in the summer, so that probably made a big difference. I've only done 4 cruises, so I am not an expert just yet.

I agree, there pros and cons to booking late. The only pro is really the reduced price. The cons are 1) you probably won't get the dining arrangement you want 2) you may not get the cabin category you want 3) you probably won't get the exact location on ship you want.

So, if you don't mind any of these things, then booking late may work out fine. Works for me. Sometimes I book early and sometimes I book late.

I disagree with your thinking. As a sailing comes closer, there is a greater risk of the unsold cabins sailing empty. Since the company would rather make *some* money on the cabin than none, it makes sense to discount them.

Archived