For $200 Difference- The E1 or D1?

It's only $200 difference total for the three of us to upgrade to a D1 from an E1. We are in 7250, which is a great location, and the D1 is 7370, four cabins behind the hump. So basically its giving up a little better location for the sofa bed instead of pull down bed. Which would yall do :confused:?

I don't know if RC will assign them at this time to a party of three since these are four person cabins but all four E1s on both deck 6 and 7 which have a sofabed are available for your Freedom 06/06/10 cruise. These are in a great location also as they are the first cabins at the front and last ones at the back of the hump, #7330, 7630, 7348, 7648, 6330, 6630, 6348 and 6648.

A D1 has a 14 sq.ft. larger (200 vs 214) cabin with a 15 sq.ft. larger balcony (53 vs 68). Only you can decide if this is worth the cost of an extra $200 for a seven night cruise.

I'd save the $200. Think how much fun it will be to get on the ship with that much extra money in your pocket!

You won't miss the few extra feet. But you'll always remember the fun you had with the money (i.e. shore excursion, shopping, drinks, specialty restaurant). You could even spend the $200 now and buy some gift certificates and have them sent to your room. We did this once and it was great having prepaid certificates to use to buy photos, drinks, etc. We did this for my in-laws too, and they loved having bottles of wine delivered to their room every couple of days!

You might even be able to walk off the ship not owing a dime :)

Have fun!!

Karen in Kentucky

At first I was going to say that the D1 wasn't worth an extra $200 but, you put in that info about three of you. With three people, I'd take the little bit of extra room the D1 offers. An E catagory stateroom is cozy enough with 2 people let alone 3.

You are talking about 22 extra square feet of space in the room. That's about the same amount of space a single twin bed takes up. It's probably added to the length of the cabin, so your cabin will be about the same width, but three feet longer. You are also talking about moving up three decks. That will make getting up to the pool and Windjammer an easier climb, but might make coming back from the diningroom, shore excursions, and shows a six or eight flight climb/elevator ride.

Personally, I'd save the $200 for other fun stuff. But, lucky for you, the choice is yours, not mine!:)

We upgraded to the D1, only because of the sofa bed instead of the pulldown. We've done 3 an an E1 twice and it was fine as far as space, but we've never had a D1 so we'll see how it goes.

Is the view worse behind the hump than in front of it? Thats my only concern at this point. Thanks for the posts!

We upgraded to the D1, only because of the sofa bed instead of the pulldown. We've done 3 an an E1 twice and it was fine as far as space, but we've never had a D1 so we'll see how it goes.

Is the view worse behind the hump than in front of it? Thats my only concern at this point. Thanks for the posts!

I think you made a wise choice. I'm usually the first person to say "save your money - what you have is perfectly adequate", but I find the pull-down bed to make the room rather claustrophobic, and having the sofa bed instead makes a huge difference!

A D1 has a 14 sq.ft. larger (200 vs 214) cabin with a 15 sq.ft. larger balcony (53 vs 68). Only you can decide if this is worth the cost of an extra $200 for a seven night cruise.

I guess I am confused as the website shows a D1 has 214 sq ft inside the cabin and a 68sq ft balcony whereas the E1 has 177 sq ft inside the cabin but a larger balcony with 74 sq ft.

I would go for the larger cabin for $200. You will still have a great location, but, for me, the larger cabin size is more important with 3 in the cabin.

Enjoy!

Look at the deck plans for the Voyager on the RCI website. There's a key that shows what extra accomodations a cabin has. A * (for example) is a stateroom with a third pullman bed. Cabin 7592 (again for example) has one of those. Here's a link. Click on the deck plans option.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/class/ship/home.do;jsessionid=0000KTfHl6YpvWNFMulArmF0aGB:13hldil87?br=R&shipClassCode=VY&shipCode=VY

You are better off with a D1 than an E1. The size of the cabin makes a

difference with 3 people. Unless the D1 is a terrible location for you

I would take that cabin.

You are better off. I was in an E2 on the Navigator. Same cabin space

as the E1 and I was by myself and it was cramped at 183 feet. An

upgrade to a D category would have been more spacious.

You would appreciate the extra space for sure.

Look at the deck plans for the Voyager on the RCI website. There's a key that shows what extra accomodations a cabin has. A * (for example) is a stateroom with a third pullman bed. Cabin 7592 (again for example) has one of those. Here's a link. Click on the deck plans option.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/class/ship/home.do;jsessionid=0000KTfHl6YpvWNFMulArmF0aGB:13hldil87?br=R&shipClassCode=VY&shipCode=VY

Unfortunately that's not always correct. We chose a * in order to have the pullman and ended up with an uncomfortable sofabed. We have had Es and a D and would save the $$ as we couldn't tell much of a difference. Like another poster said, maybe 3' deeper.

Thanks for the link and the tip that it might not be right. For us, it says pullman, but DD will be 4, so no matter how short the sofa, she can prob just sleep on it if the height doesn't work. thx Apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread. We have our first balcony in Jan., so don't have anything to add to the conversation.

• 5 weeks later...
I don't know if RC will assign them at this time to a party of three since these are four person cabins but all four E1s on both deck 6 and 7 which have a sofabed are available for your Freedom 06/06/10 cruise. These are in a great location also as they are the first cabins at the front and last ones at the back of the hump, #7330, 7630, 7348, 7648, 6330, 6630, 6348 and 6648.

Do you happen to know if 6330 has a bigger balcony than say 6348? The picture on rccl.com looks like it's slightly bigger (different angle on the hump).

Archived