Review of the Ruby by a Newbie (8/8/09)

fridaythecat.u.k.

Hi everyone,

DH and I finished our first cruise on Thursday 20th August, and I thought I would share my observations and thoughts with you.

PRE-CRUISE

Our flights were arranged through Princess, and the only way we could get a direct flight without lengthy waits at various European airports was by flying from London which is about a 2.5 hour drive from where we live (there are a couple of other international airports that are much closer to us). As we had an early morning flight on the 8th August, we made our own arrangements to stay in a Heathrow hotel the night before. Our flight was with British Airways which all now leave from Terminal 5, and there is a great Sofitel hotel there about a two minute walk from the check in desks. However, we chose not to stay there because their car parking is not on site. You drive up, take all your luggage out and then someone drives your car off to a supposedly secure parking area until you return. We have heard stories of cars being left in fields miles away and also DH is very protective of our Audi and doesn't want anyone else driving it, so we decided instead to stay at a hotel with on site car parking which did mean taking a shuttle bus to T5 but it was only a few minutes away.

We had checked in on line 24 hours in advance and on the morning of the flight, we simply went to the fast bag check in, no queues at all, then took a few minutes to get through security and were then ready and waiting to go. All went very smoothly.

ARRIVAL AT ROME

When we got to Rome airport, there seemed to be Princess staff every few yards directing us where to go :) There was a slight heart-stopping moment when the first person we got to couldn't find our names on the list :eek: but then it transpired that the lists weren't totally in alphabetical order (?!!) so we were eventually found - phew!

After picking up our luggage, we got on to the transfer coach and it took about an hour or so to get to the Ruby (which we had seen from the air as we approached the airport!).

EMBARKATION

When we first got into the embarkation area, it looked like complete chaos - people everywhere! However, when we made our way through, it was actually very organised. From the moment we stepped off the coach to the moment we first stepped foot on the ship, was no more than 10 minutes. Very impressive :D

CABIN

We went straight to our cabin - A226, a BD Balcony. I know that this is not the first choice for many people as it is high up and forward, but we loved it. We had the Riviera deck above us and Baha below, so there was very little noise throughout our cruise. We were only two decks down from Lido, so a quick hop, skip and a jump to get up there whenever we wanted, without having to wait for the lifts - erm, sorry - elevators.

The cabin was great for our needs. We were concerned beforehand about the size of the shower, having read stuff on these boards, but we found it absolutely fine, and we also didn't ever have any fights with the shower curtain as it never did try to attack us :D

The only thing we did not like so much was the firmness of the bed, but we didn't let this spoil our cruise. We were so tired most nights that we slept pretty well anyway!

STEWARD

Our steward quickly came and introduced himself. He was called Pairut and was absolutely fantastic! He was ALWAYS smiling and nothing was too much trouble for him, not that we asked him for anything out of the ordinary - only bathrobes and an egg crate. The former were quickly provided, but he couldn't manage to get us an egg crate.

We had a full cleaning service from him both in the mornings and evenings with our ice box being replenished each time. I took this as normal, but we were speaking to another couple at dinner one evening and their steward didn't do this.

FOOD / DINING

I know that this is a very subjective subject. We ate our breakfast in the buffet each morning and found it good, although on a 12 day cruise, it does get rather repetitive after a while.

We also had lunch a few times in the buffet as well, though after a while we stopped eating lunch as all that food was getting a little too much for us!!

We had anytime dining and ate in either Michelangelo's or the Da Vinci most evenings. When we went to the dining room, we always said we'd share tables which meant that we didn't have to wait at all apart from one very notable exception (which I'll get to later). We met some great people from all over the world, but mainly Brits, Americans and Canadians. We really enjoyed sharing time over dinner with these people and had some fantastic converstaions.

Overall we found the food in the dining rooms to be good, but not out of this world. We found the service to be fine most of the time, but again not exceptional.

COFFEE

We thought we would try the free coffee before deciding whether or not to buy a coffee card. After hearing all the horror stories of it on these boards, we weren't too hopeful....but WE LIKED THE SYRUPY CONCENTRATE COFFEE!!! So we didn't buy the coffee card after all!! We did, however, buy a latte each and on another occasion a cappuccino each from the International cafe. On both occasions, the coffee was only just luke warm and had to be drunk straight away before it went cold! We were not impressed at paying $3 for a cold coffee, so decided to stick with the syrupy concentrate stuff instead!

FORMAL NIGHTS

We had two formal nights. I had brought along two dresses, and DH rented a tux. The first formal night we ate in one of the dining rooms and from what I saw, I would say that all the women were smartly dressed - mainly nice cocktail dresses, I saw very few gowns. Of the men, I would say about 85% were in suits, 10% in tuxes and 5% casual, including jeans. But I only observed this so I could report back my findings on this board, I didn't let it bother me if people were wearing jeans.

The second formal night was not so great for us. We decided to see the production show - Once Upon a Dream - before dinner (which was great). However, when we then went to the dining room, we were told that there was at least a 45 minute wait for a table, even with sharing! It was kind of annoying to see others walking straight in as they had reservations, kinda goes against the idea of "anytime" dining in our opinion. Anyways, we ended up going to the buffet instead (having got changed out of our formal garb beforehand!)

TIPPING

We left on our auto tip and gave our steward an additional tip at the end. I don't know what everyone else did (it amazes me when I read on these boards when people say x% of passengers turned off their auto-tips, how do they know??). There was one British couple who we spoke to a few times, that told us that they had turned their tips off, but would tip individually at the end. Additionally, I overheard one American lady say that she was so disgusted at the service that she had turned hers off - as I was ear-wigging part of her conversation to someone else, I'm not sure what she was so disgusted about. The only other thing I heard was when I was in the queue at the pursers desk and I overheard someone else say that they had turned theirs off for the kids, but left it on for the adults.

(PS - Despite evidence of the preceeding paragraph to the contrary, I can assure you that I am not normally a nosy person!!)

STAFF

Overall, we found most staff to be polite and efficient, but not overly friendly. The exception was the bloke behind the pizza counter who seemed to be always grupmy and looked like he had just swallowed a lemon (we only went there twice, so perhaps we caught him on a bad day!).

We bumped into the captain, Tony, twice - both times on the same evening and had a nice chat with him.

We were also admiring one of Wyland's paintings in the art gallery one day, without realising at first that the bloke stood nearby was the artist himself!! We then had a nice chat with him too.

DISEMBARKATION

We had silent disembarkation and it went extremely smoothly. We had to be in Michelangelo's by 10.15. Once there, we were led to the baggage area, found our cases very quickly and easily, and then it was on to the coach for the transfer from the dock at Venice to the airport.

PORTS - will cover these on a new post.

OVERALL

We thoroughly enjoyed our cruise. There were a few minor niggles, which is only to be expected as we don't live in a perfect world, but nothing that was a deal-breaker. We would definitely cruise again (we are thinking next of Alaska), but we will be doing our homework more thoroughly as I have learnt so much from these boards. So, whilst we were impressed with the Ruby, we may choose another line in future, if we are able to get better and fairer pricing from them.

Except for the ports, I think I have covered the main points, but if you have any questions, please let me know :)

We sailed on the Ruby transatlantic in April, and can't remember the name of the Captain back then. Was your Captail Tony, old, frail-looking, and short? We also heard a number of people complaining about the service on that 16 day sailing, and we couldn't believe the line of people looking to remove their grats.:eek: But thanx for your informative review and know that Princess does have other ships that can provide a much more pleasurable experience, so don't forsake them so fast.

We sailed on the Ruby transatlantic in April, and can't remember the name of the Captain back then. Was your Captail Tony, old, frail-looking, and short? We also heard a number of people complaining about the service on that 16 day sailing, and we couldn't believe the line of people looking to remove their grats.:eek: But thanx for your informative review and know that Princess does have other ships that can provide a much more pleasurable experience, so don't forsake them so fast.

No, Tony was in his 40s perhaps? I'm not good at judging ages!! But definitely not frail and not short. He was British. He was very informative with his announcements, particularly in Corfu, we were moored by a very nice yacht which he told us all about. It cost 100 million Euro and was owned by the owner of the Draper company (tools etc).

I didn't think that the service was bad at all, it was polite and efficient. I just didn't think it exceptional. I have taken land based holidays a lot and find the staff in hotels such as the Four Seasons group to be much more friendly.

The only reason I would forsake Princess is because of the debate on pricing - that they seem to rip off us British (and Aussies).... If I could get a similar cruise for less ££££ I would be mad to pay Princess's prices??

No, Tony was in his 40s perhaps? I'm not good at judging ages!! But definitely not frail and not short. He was British. He was very informative with his announcements, particularly in Corfu, we were moored by a very nice yacht which he told us all about. It cost 100 million Euro and was owned by the owner of the Draper company (tools etc).

I didn't think that the service was bad at all, it was polite and efficient. I just didn't think it exceptional. I have taken land based holidays a lot and find the staff in hotels such as the Four Seasons group to be much more friendly.

The only reason I would forsake Princess is because of the debate on pricing - that they seem to rip off us British (and Aussies).... If I could get a similar cruise for less ££££ I would be mad to pay Princess's prices??

Thank you so much for your response regarding the Captain. I guess they have a new Captain now. Well, anyway, I certainly understand your concern regarding prices and perhaps not getting a fair deal; but fortunately there are a lot of choices out there and sincerely hope you have many years ahead with wonderful cruises in store for you.:)

Good review, thanks, I enjoyed the read.

You mentioned you are thinking of Alaska. Up front I will say Princess is my favorite. However I will still recommend you consider them for Alaska. They have many ships there every summer. My first cruise was Princess to Alaska and we did a cruise tour with 5 nights on land before our cruise. It was awesome! If you can do it financially I think a land and cruise combination is a great way to see Alaska. JMO and something for you to think about.

Princess is not the only line to offer this but I think they do a great job in Alaska.

Good review, thanks, I enjoyed the read.

You mentioned you are thinking of Alaska. Up front I will say Princess is my favorite. However I will still recommend you consider them for Alaska. They have many ships there every summer. My first cruise was Princess to Alaska and we did a cruise tour with 5 nights on land before our cruise. It was awesome! If you can do it financially I think a land and cruise combination is a great way to see Alaska. JMO and something for you to think about.

Princess is not the only line to offer this but I think they do a great job in Alaska.

Thanks for your thoughts! On our sea day on board the Ruby we went to an Alaska sales-pitch-type talk to find out more about it, so we learnt a bit about the itineraries and also the land tours. We will consider Princess, definitely, as we enjoyed our first cruise with them so much, but we will also be much more savvy the next time around and compare what else is out there and what we can get for our buck (or, rather, our pound :D)

As promised, below are my thoughts re the ports (poetry?!!?)

Before I start, though, I would just like to say that on our next cruise, this is the one thing that we would approach differently! Basically, we did very little homework before the cruise as we just kind of thought we'd see how we felt on the day about what we felt like doing. WRONG!! On any future cruises we will be much more organised before we leave home and do much more thorough research on each port!!

So here goes...

ROME

Being as we had Princess flights and transfers on the day of embarkation, we didn't actually see any of Rome at all! (although DH has been a few times before), so I can't actually let you know anything about the city at all, unless you want to know about the airport?? Hmmm, perhaps not - let's move on!

MONTE CARLO

We were looking forward to this port as the day was DH's birthday and he is a big fan of motor sport and the Grand Prix.

It is a tender port, and as per Princess's efficiency, we had no problems at all leaving by the tenders to go to shore.

We wandered around the harbour area looking at all the expensive cars and even more expensive luxury yachts. We also traced some of the grand prix circuit on foot and stopped off at a couple of cafes along the way to people watch. It was a Sunday so a lot of the shops etc were closed.

Sounds quite boring probably to you guys, but we had a nice day!

When we went to get the tender back to the ship, there was quite a long queue. Some folks were complaining as it was very hot and there was no shade, but Princess did provide chilled water which we thought was a nice touch.

LIVORNO

Sorry to disappoint, but DH and I have visited Tuscany/Florence/Pisa quite a lot previously, so we stayed on board. Livorno itself didn't look like a very exciting place to visit, so we didn't bother to get off. Also, we were surprised by how many other people did likewise - there were loads of people still on board, we thought that the ship would be much emptier than it was. But we had a nice relaxing day on a deck at the front by the spa pool.

NAPLES

OK, so here we did do something a bit more exciting. We decided that we wanted to visit Pompeii. We are not normally people who sign up to things like ship's tours as we prefer to do things independently, but bear in mind what I said at the beginning about no preparation!

So we leave the ship with no map or anything, and embark on what I called "OUR big adventure" but what DH quickly termed "MY big adventure" (i.e. mine, not his!). We are quickly accosted by a taxi driver who says that he will take us to Pompeii for 90 Euro, which was signifantly cheaper that the ship's tour, though obviously not guided or anything, and DH was very tempted, but I wanted to carry on with my adventure, so I ended up having to stand my ground and insist on taking the train, not only to the very persuasive taxi driver, but also to my "D"H!!!!

So, I decide to try to find the train station. DH has by this time decided he is not going to be of any help at all :mad: There was a big city map just outside the port area which I quickly pounced on, but unfortunately it seemed to show everything except where the station was!

Luckily, I spied a tourist information place nearby, and after queueing for at least 15mins, found out that there was a bus (#1) that stopped just outside that would take us to the station. Not only that, but I bought the tickets for the bus and the train there - they cost less than 5 Euro each.

So we wait a few minutes for the bus, get off at what looked suspiciously like the station, which luckily it was, hopped on the train and within 40 minutes or so, we were at Pompeii - yipee! The only thing was then that we had to queue in the hot sun (by this time it was mid-day) for about an hour to get in. Entry fees were 11 Euro each. We then wandered around Pompeii which was huge, but easily do-able on your own, particularly if you get a good guide book.

We then retraced our steps back to the ship, and DH enjoyed telling everyone that evening at dinner about how good "OUR" adventure had been. Hmmmmm.....

One note about Naples itself, as we did have a bit of a wander around after we got back from Pompeii. We did not like what we saw of the city at all - lots of litter and grafitti (sp?) everywhere.

SANTORINI

This was one of our favourite ports. Again it was a tender port and again we didn't take the ship's tour. The port TV channel warned of horrendous queues for the cable cars to take you up into the main town, but we are British, so we enjoy queueing! We weren't put off by this.

Again, the tender process was very efficient, and when we landed we joined the queue for the cable cars. The queue didn't look as bad as we had been told, and we also soon got chatting to a very nice Canadian family who were right behind us. We queued for perhaps 20 mins, but as we were chatting, it didn't seem bad at all.

Once at the top, and out of the main town area, the views were fantastic and we had a great day wandering round. There is not really much there, but the "vibe" of the place was great and we had a lovely time - views, cafes, people watching....

Tender back to the ship was fine, straight on with no queueing.

KUSADASI

We decided not to go to Ephesus. Although we have heard it is fantastic, we have been to loads of ruins (mainly in Egypt) and didn't fancy going there. So instead we wandered around the bazaar, laughing at the "Genuine Fakes" signs and picking up bargains along the way. DH is not a haggler, but I love it, and I bought a few things for well under half the original asking price.

Observations here - I was expecting to get loads of hassle from the vendors, similar to what we experienced in Egypt, where they just don't leave you alone. But here I was pleasantly surprised as, yes, you did get stopped and asked to buy stuff, but a polite "no" meant that they soon backed off.

Again, we had a great day and really enjoyed this port.

MYKONOS

The journey from the ship to the town centre is a couple of miles along a road with no sidewalk, so we did as the ship's staff suggested and bought tickets (7 Euro each) for the shuttle bus.

This was an OK port, some interesting sights, particularly some windmills and "little Venice" - houses built right by the waterfront. It was nice to walk around, but not an awful lot there. Some nice designer shops.

ATHENS

We had got the impression from the ship's tour staff and on the info provided, that Pireaus is a long way from Athens, so we decided on this occasion to take a ship's tour. We wish we hadn't! This was one of the most disappointing aspects of our entire cruise and the only thing I formally complained about.

The tour cost $129 each and was meant to be a full day visiting the Acropolis and then going to the Corinth canal with a transit through it. The Acropolis was the main thing we wanted to see, but we thought it would be nice also to see something different, i.e. the canal.

We left at 7.30am which although early was in fact very wise as we got to the Acropolis by about 8.15 when it was relatively quiet and not at the hottest part of the day. However, our guide was pretty useless and didn't give us any pertinent info about the site at all, she kept waffling on about Greek legends <yawn>. We only had just over an hour there, with no time to explore on your own. We were very disappointed.

We were then taken to a souvenir shop (obviously some friend of the guide's), but we didn't buy anything, though others did, and then it was off to the canal which was an hour's drive away.

We transited the canal on a boat and back again, and it was then about 12 o'clock. So the main two things of the tour had been completed by lunchtime.

We then went off to lunch at a local hotel, where we stopped for an hour and a half (more time than we had spent at the Acropolis!) before being taken for a photo opp of the canal from the road. Immediately after this photo opp, we then stopped for a further 45 mins at a roadside service area for coffees etc. But remember this was only just after lunch!!

We then took a leisurely drive back to the port (you could tell the coach driver was definitely not in a rush!) and got back one hour earlier than scheduled.

I wasn't happy at all with the tour - i.e. the afternoon was pretty much a waste of time, we didn't spend long enough at the Acropolis, nor learn anything about it, our guide was nice but not informative. So the next day I filled in a feedback form as I think it is important that Princess know our thoughts. A couple of days later, I got a very nice letter in return which reassured me that they will take my comments on board (which is what I wanted) and also a 15% refund of the cost of the tour (which was appreciated, though not expected).

Another note here - at dinner in the evening, we were sat with 4 Canadians (two couples). One couple had done their own thing and taken the train to the Acropolis. They said it was very easy to do. 1 Euro each on the train, and the station was very easy to find.

KATAKOLON

This is the gateway for Olympia. To be honest it seemed that a lot of people we spoke to had had enough of visiting ruins by this point. We didn't go to Olympia and just wandered around the town which took all of 10 minutes as it is very small. A nice place, but small.

CORFU

We didn't really like this port. We walked into the old town area which was some distance from the ship (a couple of miles) and which seemed even longer in the heat. There were a few nice old buildings and fortresses to look at and take pictures of, but not really our cup of tea. We then walked all the way back to the ship which seemed even longer...

VENICE

Another highlight of the cruise! Luckily, instead of arriving at our scheduled time of 10pm, we got in at 6pm. Sailing into Venice was spectacular from the ship! We also wondered how spectacular it would have been to be on the ground and watch the beautiful Ruby sail by! We might go there one day just to do this!

We bought the ship's shuttle tickets ($15 each) to get into Venice. Although it did get dark relatively quickly, it was still breath taking. As we are only a couple of hours away by air, this is one place that we have said we will definitely go back to for a long weekend, so that we can see the wonderful sights in the day time.

Sorry if I have bored you all with my waffle, again I will be happy to answer any questions if I can.

The cruise is over already?? Wow that was fast. :eek:

Great review thanks!! :)

Tony Yeomans would be the Captain. We talked at length as he has some relatives from my familes area around Buxton. ;)

Hi Colo!

Yes, the time soon sped by!

For once, I have to contradict you, I am sorry!

I have just dug out the Princess Patters and the captain was Tony Draper. He's originally from Scotland but now lives in Cornwall.

Hi Colo!

Yes, the time soon sped by!

For once, I have to contradict you, I am sorry!

I have just dug out the Princess Patters and the captain was Tony Draper. He's originally from Scotland but now lives in Cornwall.

Oops I heard Tony and short and frail and assumed Yeomans.

Oh well sorry. :)

Hi Friday welcome back,

I find Princess can be hard work, they do not tell you about all the things going on, what free things you can get, as I have more than a fewcruises under my belt, I find that I am able to enjoy the ships and whats on offer more, that said I still find that some times I have to tell the ship what it should be doing or offering.

Price is a big issue you need to shop around, the best advise I can give

is us a FCC select your cruise and book it through Princess wait until last week before payment is due, then shop around for the very best price,

if good buy if not transfer to another cruise and do same.

Thanks for posting.

One question if you could get Princess to change one thing what would it be.

yours Shogun

Hi Friday welcome back,

I find Princess can be hard work, they do not tell you about all the things going on, what free things you can get, as I have more than a fewcruises under my belt, I find that I am able to enjoy the ships and whats on offer more, that said I still find that some times I have to tell the ship what it should be doing or offering.

Price is a big issue you need to shop around, the best advise I can give

is us a FCC select your cruise and book it through Princess wait until last week before payment is due, then shop around for the very best price,

if good buy if not transfer to another cruise and do same.

Thanks for posting.

One question if you could get Princess to change one thing what would it be.

yours Shogun

Hi Shogun

Thanks for your comments and all the very useful advice you gave to me beforehand (particularly in relation to the issue I initially had with the flights).

We considered buying an FCC whilst on board, but decided not to. The reason being that although we really are seriously considering taking an other cruise, probably to Alaska, we really are not sure that it will be with Princess. We were talking to some other Brits on the train to Pompeii who were sailing on RCL (there were 2 RCL ships docked in Naples when we were there). They seemed to have a much better deal and equal service than us. This backs up things I have read on these boards. So we are not ruling Princess out, but will be much more informed and do more research before we book our second cruise.

In terms of the one thing I would change? That's a tough one! I suppose, other than the pricing thing, the only thing I had any real issues with was the ship's tour and the information (not) given for those who wish to travel independently. Of course, I understand that Princess would rather you take their tours rather than you travel independently, so perhaps they don't want to give info on the latter. But the ship's tours are quite pricey and you get very little information. On the Ruby, the tour desk had very limited opening hours: 7am - 10am in the mornings and something like 5pm - 7pm in the evenings, which meant that there were quite often queues. If they gave more detailed info up front, you wouldn't need to queue to ask about it! By the way, we were not the only ones who complained about the Athens tours. We were chatting to a couple who went on a different ship's tour in Athens, and they said that a lot of people on that tour were queueing at the tour desk to complain :eek:

Having said all that, we take a lot of responsibility for our disappointment. As I said, we do prefer to travel independently and we did next to no research before leaving home - lesson learnt :D

If I'm not mistaken a UK passenger does not have to buy - just register

We got a letter whilst on board saying that to get the FCC we had to pay £75. I didn't thoroughly examine the letter as I didn't intend buying one for the reasons already outlined, but I got the impression that you had to buy it on board.;)

We got a letter whilst on board saying that to get the FCC we had to pay £75. I didn't thoroughly examine the letter as I didn't intend buying one for the reasons already outlined, but I got the impression that you had to buy it on board.;)

They may have changed it. But in April 2009 you only paid £75pp as the deposit when you actually booked the cruise and you also had 4 years in which to make the booking

Hi Friday,

The FCC is free and gives you a low despoit when you book, that way if you book and then change your mind do not lose much.

yours Shogun

I obviously didn't read the letter too well, then :eek: With hindsight I should have booked it, but I didn't have all the great advice of the good folks on here at the time (internet was way too slow and expensive to log on to CC!). Yet another lesson learnt for the future :D

Archived