Southern Caribbean and Snakes!!

bozza

We were in Chankanaab Park in Cozumel a couple of years ago and saw about a 3 foot brown snake slither through the bush in front of us. Being very interested in wild life I asked one of the Park Rangers what kinds of snakes were found in the park. He replied quite vehemently the there NO snakes in the park. I laughed and filed that one under 'do not alarm the tourists'.

There are some good books about wildlife in the Caribbean. Or people can Google "snakes of the Caribbean." The snake which people should know about is the fer de lance which lives on a few islands.

Those guys should not scare people with their "photo snakes". That is not fair.

There are some good books about wildlife in the Caribbean. Or people can Google "snakes of the Caribbean." The snake which people should know about is the fer de lance which lives on a few islands.

Those guys should not scare people with their "photo snakes". That is not fair.

The guy in St Lucia stands on side of road with his snake draped over his shoulders. He is in plain sight. It is not like he jumps out at you from behind a bush.

Don't worry about him, the Fer-de-Lance is far more dangerous.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who doesn't like these things!! It doesn't matter if he is standing by the side of the road and not jumping out, I would still die!! I don't do jungle tours or anything connected with dense forests in case I see anything. I cannot go in pet shops or reptile houses in zoos, cannot look at them on TV or in papers, hate the rubber ones kids play with and have been like this all my 60 odd years, irrational I know, can't even go to a hypnotist in case they make me look at one!! Perhaps I am just plain crazy!!!! Good job I have a lovely understanding husband.

Yes, I had a snake around my dear neck on a tour on the Isle de Marguerita, Venezuala a few years ago, and it was a big one, don't know what kind. I did it for my grandsons' sake, so they would know Grandma Helen wasn't a "chicken"!

Helen

Well, I don't have to go to the carribean to see snakes, I have them in our backyard! We get rattlesnakes, gopher snakes. We live in the hills on an acre of land and at this time of year, when it's HOT we have to be careful. Two of our dogs were bitten by rattlesnakes but were saved, cost us a fortune LOL! Then we came across a baby rattlesnake, I freaked out, hubby didn't know what to do, it was curled up in our breezeway and didn't look very happy. I had to call the fire department LOL! They came out and took care of it. I HATE snakes. Hubby says that the gopher snakes are good snakes and nothing to worry about, yeah right!

We in the U.S. have plenty of snakes, so shouldn't be too concerned about the Caribbean area in comparison.

The photo snake thing is unfortunate because often the snakes displayed are not native species and non-native species are becoming a problem, especially in the Everglades.

The important thing anywhere is to take excursions with guides if you are new to an area. Also, most good guide books will inform you of travel concerns whether they be snakes to avoid or poor water quality.

Does anyone know of any islands in the southern Caribbean where men offer them to you to have your photo taken with snakes?

I have a real phobia of these and would die if approached, so if I know before hand I can avoid them.

Any help much appreciated.

One time on St Lucia, we were doing the jungle and waterfall off road adventure there was a man with some kids that had a pale yellow boa constrictor in a box, that he would let us take a picture with for money. Since the snake was in a box (banana crate) it was pretty non threatening. The snake looked completely harmless, so there is no significant reason to be afraid of the experience.

jc

We were in Chankanaab Park in Cozumel a couple of years ago and saw about a 3 foot brown snake slither through the bush in front of us. Being very interested in wild life I asked one of the Park Rangers what kinds of snakes were found in the park. He replied quite vehemently the there NO snakes in the park. I laughed and filed that one under 'do not alarm the tourists'.

Could it have been a sea snake? I scuba dive and have never seen one in the caribbean, but I know that they are common in the tropical waters in the Pacific Ocean. They are, very poisonous, fyi.

I did some quick research and it appears you are correct that they try to keep tourists unalarmed. There are no sea snakes in the Caribbean. It does appear that in 1971 a film crew dumped a bunch of boa constrictors on Cozumel at the end of filming a movie. So, apparently they are quite common on the island. :rolleyes:

jc

also in the Everglades as well unfortunately

But ew!...what is the point about taking a picture with the snakes? esp. if they are not indigenous..when I see monkeys, parrots or whatever offered for pictures I often wonder what the attraction is--esp for adults...

also in the Everglades as well unfortunately

But ew!...what is the point about taking a picture with the snakes? esp. if they are not indigenous..when I see monkeys, parrots or whatever offered for pictures I often wonder what the attraction is--esp for adults...

I took one with a boa across my shoulders at the Belize Zoo. I didn't seek it out, but as we were headed toward the parking lot to move on to Altun Ha, a zoo employee walked by with the boa and asked if any of the four of us wanted pictures. Three of us did it, basically on a whim. There was no charge, and it's a fairly cool picture.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who doesn't like these things!! It doesn't matter if he is standing by the side of the road and not jumping out, I would still die!! I don't do jungle tours or anything connected with dense forests in case I see anything. I cannot go in pet shops or reptile houses in zoos, cannot look at them on TV or in papers, hate the rubber ones kids play with and have been like this all my 60 odd years, irrational I know, can't even go to a hypnotist in case they make me look at one!! Perhaps I am just plain crazy!!!! Good job I have a lovely understanding husband.

I was worse than you at one time to the extent that I would not even walk on a lawn for fear of encountering a snake. It got to the point that it made me a prisoner of my irrational fears. The fact that I was in the armed forces made it even worse. I finally sought help and got the therapy I needed. I am fine now and even faced down a ferocious eastern garter snake in my backyard. :eek::D

Imported pythons have been "bothering" the wildlife in the Everglades (upsetting the ecology.) Seems like they were released "pets."

Some of the photo snake pictures show imported pythons. Hope the Caribbean photo boas are native and protected.

The guy in St Lucia stands on side of road with his snake draped over his shoulders. He is in plain sight. It is not like he jumps out at you from behind a bush.

Don't worry about him, the Fer-de-Lance is far more dangerous.

Just back from a stop on St. Lucia(8/19) and there is still the guy on the side of the road with the boa. Our bus slowed and the tour guide asked if anybody wanted their picture with the snake and everyone passed! On Curacao I did get my picture taken with a large Boa!!:) Amazing what a few beers will do:D! The guy in Curacao was by the Queen Emma floating bridge and if we didn't see someone else getting their picture with it we would have walked right by him.

Omg this is so me, I make my hubby go in the store and let me know if there are any tarantulas in it or I wont go in.

We did the Cosol tour in St. Lucia and there was a guy on the side of the road with a huge snake and we stopped and several people got out and had their picture taken with it. I was glad I was in the bus.

That is exactly what I do. And if he lies to me? :eek:

It will be Dinner Reservations for the rest of our marriage. :D

Just kidding. He is very good about it and always comes back honest. ;)

Swam with several off Barbados years ago, totally unaware that they were poisonous. Found out after the fact....Next time, we will not chase them!!!!
Were those poisonous!?! :eek: I saw some when we did our turtle snorkel. I thought they were eels and kept swimming by for a closer look.

Have never seen any sea snakes in the Caribbean area, but there are land snakes on several islands. When we were in Dominica, our guide said there were boa constrictors in the Rain Forest.
Hubby and I saw a small (< 2 ft) green snake on Dominica while we were taking a hike to Emerald Falls. It crossed the trail and disappeared quickly into the folliage.

We saw another one on St. Kitts when we were at the fort. We had walked from the main part of the fort to the area closer to the coast with a building that looks like a brig. There was a small brown one (I have a picture of it) sunning on a rock. I'm not sure what kind it was - probably some form of constrictor. I've seen the guy in St. Lucia too but that wasn't very interesting. I'd rather see snakes in the wild.

We were chasing a sea krate. Venomous, but not aggressive (thankfully..God protects fools and children and we were not children).

Simply described...Black and White rings

OH #$&*! I guess I'm in that fools category also. Our snorkel guide never said a word.

Sounds like these were photo ops with boas or pythons. However, the Fer-de-lance (extremely poisonous) was commonly imported in the 1700-1800's by plantation owners as a deterrent to runaway slaves (according to local lore), and has since become populated in many of the caribbean islands. The other venomous snake common in the tropics are various 62 species of the sea snake.:eek:

In Curacao last month, a man was walking down the sidewalk with a huge python around his neck. I walked out into the street just so I wouldn't have to be near him.

My son wanted to hold the python around him with the guy in Curacao. He would have been pretty easy to avoid if you didn't want to go near him. Just keep a good look out and I am sure you will be able to avoid it.

Just back from a stop on St. Lucia(8/19) and there is still the guy on the side of the road with the boa. Our bus slowed and the tour guide asked if anybody wanted their picture with the snake and everyone passed! On Curacao I did get my picture taken with a large Boa!!:) Amazing what a few beers will do:D! The guy in Curacao was by the Queen Emma floating bridge and if we didn't see someone else getting their picture with it we would have walked right by him.

That means he has been operating that business for 10 years. That was how long ago since I was on St Lucia! :D

jc

Archived