What made you miss your Carnival Roll Call Meet and Greet?

ManyMore

These are the things that I think may have made it successful:

1. It was scheduled for the second day, (a sea day) after lunch.

2. I arranged for a dedicated room (one of the lounges) for us, so there could be no confusion about where/when to meet. We had a bartender, and set up the room so that people could socialize. I advertised this frequently on our roll call.

3. We had a couple of things open for people to participate or not, as they wished: a Yankee swap and a cabin crawl after the M&G. Some people participated in one, some in both, some in neither, but it was something specific they wanted to do.

4. I made a roster of cabin numbers, and delivered, the night before, a reminder of where and when the meet and greet was.

What great ideas! The last one I organanized was at Atrium Bar at 5:00 on first sea day and no one showed! Kinda discouraged me from trying again. And, not sure I'd want to work as hard as you did but if someone as wonderful as you arranged it, I'd sure be there!!!

I am currently planning to set up the M&G for my next cruise, and I will follow all of the guidelines above. I hope it works a second time around!

I have made it to all of mine that were scheduled!!!

I think it is the simple fact that some spouses are wierded out by the Roll Call "Internet Friends" Meet and Greet! My wife was one of them but i talked her into the first one and it gets easier each time!!!! We have meet some really AWESOME people at the M&G!!!

I missed my last one because the timing was at 5pm on embarkation day. I believe the time ran into sailaway (sailaway started late) and when we got back to Cruise Critic there were a lot of people who missed the meet and greet. It sounded good when the time was set. I definitely made it to the ship on time but was too tired to go. I took a nap. My first meet and greet in 2007 was scheduled for our 1st sea day. That was a better timing and I made that one.

Hubby and I had every intention of going to the meet and greet but we got so wrapped up in enjoying everything the first sea day that we absolutely forgot. I realized we missed it about 10 minutes after it was over and I had already paid for both of us before the cruise. I must get some sort of alarm and carry with me to bring me back to reality about keeping an appointment. I tend to forget about time when on a cruise...:D

2. I arranged for a dedicated room (one of the lounges) for us, so there could be no confusion about where/when to meet. We had a bartender, and set up the room so that people could socialize. I advertised this frequently on our roll call.

3. We had a couple of things open for people to participate or not, as they wished: a Yankee swap and a cabin crawl after the M&G. Some people participated in one, some in both, some in neither, but it was something specific they wanted to do.

4. I made a roster of cabin numbers, and delivered, the night before, a reminder of where and when the meet and greet was.

What great ideas! The last one I organanized was at Atrium Bar at 5:00 on first sea day and no one showed! Kinda discouraged me from trying again. And, not sure I'd want to work as hard as you did but if someone as wonderful as you arranged it, I'd sure be there!!!

I am currently planning to set up the M&G for my next cruise, and I will follow all of the guidelines above. I hope it works a second time around!

It really wasn't that much work. A few e-mails with the coordinator on the ship, a stop by the purser's desk to confirm after boarding, and about 30 minutes of walking around the ship. I grouped the cabins according to floor and front/back of ship (using the deck plans) and just went from back/bottom floor up to back/top floor... across to front/top floor and back down. Really it wasn't more than 30 minutes of walking. Helped work off the dinner I had. :-)

I missed one last year due to late sailaway. We planned on a sailaway get together once we pushed off but we left so late that we had to get ready for dinner instead so I missed it.

Very well said.... I could not agree more.

I have to agree-- having a Meet and Greet on the day we set sail is just too hard for me. We usually have so much going on that I just want to get into vacation mode first-- then meet and greet. The next morning would be ideal!

I'm so glad some of you agreed with me. I was beginning to think I must be the ugly duckling in this thread, with all this talk about wearing ribbons, Mardi Gras beads, secret handshakes, :D etc. and one suggestion of paying $22 pp for the right to drink unfettered for 2 hours ! ! :eek:

Actually the best M&G I ever experienced was while waiting in line to have my carryons x-rayed. Someone was yelling my name furiously from the crowd behind me. As I turned I noticed a lady with her husband and 3 children all jumping up and down and waving feverishly. They had recognized me from my webshot site pics in the signature of all my posts on the ROLL CALL ! ! :eek: We were about 5 minutes ahead of them, so we waited for them to board the ship with us. By the time we all came to the M&G meeting the next morning, we were already well acquainted with each other. :D (later during the cruise did Randi's Happy Horses in Mazatlan with them)

So much here I agree with & am learning about

I'm the board chatter & DH wonders about my sanity.

"Why do you want to talk to & meet with strangers?"

I am not into the how much you can drink chats (think that may apply to certain cruise destinations & time frames more than others)

The one I did plan never happened as the cruise was cancelled. We were to meet aft Lido deck after muster drill but that was a short cruise.

For identification we had decided on chili pepper necklaces as it was to be a Mexico destination.

I am now planning my first one for a longer cruise with 5 sea days up front but as of this posting we are still a small group.

I don't want to wait too long to hold it, we have several solos who might like a friendly face.

I don't want to have it too early either.

I know the feeling of not wanting to be rushed the first day.

Last Hawaii cruise even missed seeing us going under the Lions Gate Bridge

Then the where?

Sept can be warm for the deck or cool & rainy for departure & the first day.

Hmmmm

So much here I agree with & am learning about

I don't want to have it too early either.

I know the feeling of not wanting to be rushed the first day.

Last Hawaii cruise even missed seeing us going under the Lions Gate Bridge

Then the where?

Sept can be warm for the deck or cool & rainy for departure & the first day.

Hmmmm

If you call Carnival and ask for "ship's services", and then explain the situation, they will give you the name, number, and e-mail addy for the person who organizes rooms on-board. You DO NOT have to pay anything to get a room. Yes, you can do the $22 thing, but it is not required -- they will set aside a room, usually with a bartender for free. That is what we did.

That is *much* better, IMO, than the whole beads/caps/colors thing. Too confusing.

And make it for the second day. People will be more settled and less frazzled.

Lots of us join the roll calls for our ship and cruise but often never make it there and never meet anyone they made friends with prior to the cruise. I really hope we have a good number show up for ours so I thought.... let's see what causes most to miss it so we can try and avoid as much of that as possible. What made you miss yours?

Full ship - Sensation Sailing on 8/20 and I think there was only 4-5 on our roll call

My reason also. I think a Meet'n'Greet on sail day is ridiculous, unless later on after the ship is at sea maybe. Many paxs are beat on the first day, then have to crowd a M&G into exploring the ship, eating something from the buffet, getting a few drinks, unpacking, and sailaway. Too hectic I think.

My first M & G...I fell asleep after unpacking....

The 2nd I attended...nice to meet the faces to the s/n....we met on the Lido deck around 3PM...sat at a table and chatted....

This past cruise, our Roll Call never planned to meet....

My first M & G...I fell asleep after unpacking....

The 2nd I attended...nice to meet the faces to the s/n....we met on the Lido deck around 3PM...sat at a table and chatted....

This past cruise, our Roll Call never planned to meet....

Hmmm. Speaking of NO SHOWS!!!!! :D

:D

Tom

Tom and Cheryl,

I know that you are going on a later Dream cruise, but I think at one time you had planned to be on the Inaugural cruise on the 21st.

At any rate, I expect to post as many pics as I can, probably linking them to my picasa or picnik account.

Can't wait to see the Dream and can't wait to tell all.

Tom and Cheryl,

I know that you are going on a later Dream cruise, but I think at one time you had planned to be on the Inaugural cruise on the 21st.

At any rate, I expect to post as many pics as I can, probably linking them to my picasa or picnik account.

Can't wait to see the Dream and can't wait to tell all.

Really looking forward to great reviews and a lot of pics!!

Although being on the first sailing would be wonderful - it was nothing I had ever planned. Perhaps you were reading my (wishing) mind! :eek:

Tom

The cocktail reception is really nice and even if I didn't get my money's worth in drinks I would think it was worthwhile to spend some time in the company of new friends or at least acquaintances.

My favorite roll call was on a cruise I did not go on. My nephew was getting married over Christmas on a ship and I could not attend. I posted on the roll call and some folks were nice enough to give a shout out to my nephew and his wife. It really tickled him to be congratulated by strangers.

If you call Carnival and ask for "ship's services", and then explain the situation, they will give you the name, number, and e-mail addy for the person who organizes rooms on-board. You DO NOT have to pay anything to get a room. Yes, you can do the $22 thing, but it is not required -- they will set aside a room, usually with a bartender for free. That is what we did.

That is *much* better, IMO, than the whole beads/caps/colors thing. Too confusing.

And make it for the second day. People will be more settled and less frazzled.

Thank you some much for the info. I will definitely look into that one.

Haven't missed one yet. I always identify myself, with what I'll be wearing, so that people can see me. I've met numerous people from the M&G on the line waiting to get on board. DF thinks that I'm crazy for "talking to these people" before we get on the ship. It establishes friendships and you never know who you'll meet. I've not had a bad meet and greet yet.

Oh and for those going on the Miracle next July 18, 2010, I'll be the fabulous bride running up and down the halls screaming "I'm married, I'm married!"

Okay, for a first time cruiser, I can imagine what a meet and greet is but why do the cruise critics as a group do so????? I do look forward to meeting everyone on the cruise!!!!! My husband is a professional Santa so you won't miss us!!!!!

How do I post a photo of us?

• 2 weeks later...
Okay, for a first time cruiser, I can imagine what a meet and greet is but why do the cruise critics as a group do so????? I do look forward to meeting everyone on the cruise!!!!! My husband is a professional Santa so you won't miss us!!!!!

How do I post a photo of us?

I would reckon because CC is the most popular internet mediums for most folks

I've only missed one (my first cruise) and planned 2 of 'em

I patterned a M&G on the Freedom after what Tom/Cheryl did.

Reserved a room (they have lots), Carnival provided bartenders (cash bar, seems more favorable than a set price for "all the drinks you can")

Contacted the ships CD, he came down and welcomed everyone aboard, it was much fun!

Confusing perhaps was the "private party" sign, not saying it was for the M&G, although, if I saw "anyone" lurking outside the door, I invited them in (and a few had never heard of CC or the M&G!)

I wear my hat of course, and it seems to help folks recognize me 'cause they usually point and say something like "there's the dork!"

Methinks for the next one though, there will either be 2, one sailing day, one next morning, or just next morning, providing it's a sea day

I like the idea of some sorta "game" or pot gamble or such (with the price of drinks, a dollar or two just simply won't make that much difference)

Okay, for a first time cruiser, I can imagine what a meet and greet is but why do the cruise critics as a group do so?????

Because we LOVE each other so much! (and we speak the same language, and have the same 'addiction' and it's always interesting to match faces to the 'screen names' we have been chatting with for several months!). I have made a great number of cruise friends thru the roll calls and subsequent meet and greets and I am still in touch with many of them today!

We've only missed one in our five cruises. The goal was for all of us to meet on the lido deck, near the pool, with the CC'ers wearing red caps/leis. After asking about four people if they were from CC and they weren't, I got shy and gave up.

I organized a very well attended M&G in June. I believe everyone came, at least for a while.

Hey I want to be on your next cruise.......actually this next cruise(Sat) we have several M&G set up so everyone can meet at least once....and one we arranged with Carnival at $12.00pp for open bar for one hour......great idea...everyone wants that......you just have to plan it and have it paid for one month out..........

Lee

Archived