Christmas Cruise with 20-somethings

niborHS

We are now considering a cruise on the Westerdam for Christmas week, with our 2 sonss, 24 & 21. We have been on 17 cruises, 2 with HAL, but we didn't start going on HAL until they were in college. I don't want to hear anyone telling me that they will be happy on their own, or should be. I don't really care what your child does, if that is the case with them. I know my sons like to find a crowd to hang out with at certain times. Will they have company?

We are now considering a cruise on the Westerdam for Christmas week, with our 2 sonss, 24 & 21. We have been on 17 cruises, 2 with HAL, but we didn't start going on HAL until they were in college. I don't want to hear anyone telling me that they will be happy on their own, or should be. I don't really care what your child does, if that is the case with them. I know my sons like to find a crowd to hang out with at certain times. Will they have company?

Just went to the roll call for that cruise (I see you already posted there) and right under your post is one from a family with 4 kids 12-21 years old ( I think they said they were all girls.) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1043574

I'd say your young men will be VERY happy!! Which in turn, I'm sure will make you happy:p

Joanie, I was actually surprised how short that Roll Call thread was. Not sure that other than the 21 year old their parents would want them hanging out with my sons, but hopefully if we decide to go, there will be others. The colleges are out by that week, but many of the high schools are not, so that is my hope. I have not booked yet, but will be working on what we can get this week.

Suse, I posted a similar question a month or so ago about whether we will be happy trying Carnival because the boys will have more fun. At that time we were considering October. Some woman came on to say that her son doesn't have to make friends on a cruise and my sons should be happy to just enjoy themselves on board and keep themselves amused, or whatever it was she said. I don't want or need a lecture about what someone else thinks my sons should be happy with on a cruise.

Suse, I posted a similar question a month or so ago about whether we will be happy trying Carnival because the boys will have more fun. At that time we were considering October. Some woman came on to say that her son doesn't have to make friends on a cruise and my sons should be happy to just enjoy themselves on board and keep themselves amused, or whatever it was she said. I don't want or need a lecture about what someone else thinks my sons should be happy with on a cruise.

Amen RobinSilver!! You are the mom no matter what age. And you are caring enough, obviously, to care about their needs also.

I cannot even contemplate taking my daughter, granddaughter and/or Son In Law on a cruise with us and NOT caring if there was anything for them to do.

After all, the total enjoyment of the cruise is everyone being happy in your party, no matter the size.

I think that if a few have already posted their kids are coning and their ages, that there will be many more and your sons should have a good time with others in their age groups.

Perhaps if the questions wasn't posted so abrasively, you would get a better response Robin. I have reread both your posts a couple of times trying to figure out how you meant your question as it as come out very abrupt.

With 17 cruises, you know the layout of the day on a cruise, so you know what goes on from bellyflopping to napkin folding 101 to late night nightclubbing. How your sons would fit in, only you would know. You also said you have been on HAL, so you also know the age range that like to travel on HAL.

I have only experience RCCL and Celebrity - which all ages enjoy and can't answer about HAL as I have that trip planned for the spring. I have gone on a 4 day Carnival and that was what I considered a "party boat", so if you like that kind of thing, then the boys would love it.

The internet is a funny thing, it is great for tons of info, but you lose the "tone" on how the information is being conveyed. Perhaps you didn't mean how it came out, and the other poster didn't mean to lecture? But otherwise, keep asking your questions, eventually someone will answer your question, and you will get the cruise you and your family were wanting! Good luck!

Our 20-something sons have always traveled with us during school breaks and holidays on HAL and have great memories. There typically has not been a 20-something organized event; we always felt this age group was left out of the social schedule. however, when we did mention it, something was arranged one evening......(but that was several years ago.) They enjoy the company of each other and find that just seeing the family for a week before we all go our separate ways is very worthwhile. They always make acquaintances-- of all ages! When we can only take the younger son, he easily fits into the day's schedule with us. We prefer the ambience of holidays on HAL. There are usually many large family groups- and they do tend to enjoy one another's company for reasons i stated above. In fact, I always feel a little envious of the large families, but the 3 or 4 of us are just fine too!-

Perhaps if the questions wasn't posted so abrasively, you would get a better response Robin. I have reread both your posts a couple of times trying to figure out how you meant your question as it as come out very abrupt.

With 17 cruises, you know the layout of the day on a cruise, so you know what goes on from bellyflopping to napkin folding 101 to late night nightclubbing. How your sons would fit in, only you would know. You also said you have been on HAL, so you also know the age range that like to travel on HAL.

I have only experience RCCL and Celebrity - which all ages enjoy and can't answer about HAL as I have that trip planned for the spring. I have gone on a 4 day Carnival and that was what I considered a "party boat", so if you like that kind of thing, then the boys would love it.

The internet is a funny thing, it is great for tons of info, but you lose the "tone" on how the information is being conveyed. Perhaps you didn't mean how it came out, and the other poster didn't mean to lecture? But otherwise, keep asking your questions, eventually someone will answer your question, and you will get the cruise you and your family were wanting! Good luck!

ibcruisin, perhaps your type of response is the reason she asked the question in the "tone" the way she did??

If, and I repeat IF, I came off as "lecturing", that is because she asked for some specific answer(s) and I was able to assist.

Why is it that some people, not just this thread, feel the need to be so abrupt and jump down peoples' throats because of HOW they pose a question?

Come on all, let's lighten up a bit and give honest, straight forward answers WITHOUT bickering.

Oh brother! These boys will have a good time. I have never seen kids on board that haven't met others. There are great books and dvds and board and card games in the library if they really get bored but I doubt they will. Please let us know if you do take this cruise.

You are probably right, I should have phrased this differently, but the answer that I got previously was one that I just didn't want to hear again. My sons went on numerous cruises with us during their February school break, and my older son did 2 spring break cruises with his fraternity brothers, but on Royal Carribean. However, when we have travelled during non-holiday weeks, my husband and I kept hearing about how we were like people's children. This did not mean that we did not enjoy ourselves, it was just that we were having a great time with people who were a lot older than us. Those travelling with children during those weeks had young children. I didn't pay attention to how many 20-somethings there were, if any. Now that we are, for the first time, thinking about a cruise that leaves December 20th, I am curious if there will be others their age on HAL. We have ruled out Carnival, and don't think we want to do RCCL either. We are trying to pick something that everyone will be happy with.

Sounds like you are worrying whether there is going to be young people on board since it is a HAL ship. Rest assure that there will be plenty of young people. Lots of families with kids of all ages. We were on a Christmas cruise last year and there were over 200 kids on board and this was on the Statendam.

One thing I have to say about a Christmas cruise on a HAL ship is that it will really feel like Christmas. There will be Christmas decorations everywhere and Christmas entertainment and even Santa Claus.

A friend of mine went on Carnival for Christmas last year and she was so disappointed. Hardly a Christmas decoration anywhere on her ship. She didn't feel as if it was Christmas.

Robin, sounds like you got what I was trying to say and didn't get offended, it was not meant as anything negative :)

Robin, have you ever checked out Celebrity christmas/nye cruises? That I can speak from experience and a 21 yr old. Because of school, this is the best time for us to travel and we have always enjoyed the wide age ranges. Of course that 20-24 year old group some times is hard as they are too old for the teen room and too young for some of the people that hang out at the disco. Last christmas, of course mainly families, but I saw alot of university/fraternity/sorority aged groups of adults (with parents of course). Very evident as they were sitting in the card room and in the buffet area chatting late at night. Plus the rows and rows of seats at the pool, nice to see alot of well behaved young adults having a nice relaxing time between school terms, I guess.

Good luck on your search, it's hard trying to find the right trip for you, your hubby and in my case, my 21yr old. Let us know what you pick!

Robin,

We will be on the same cruise. There will be about 30 of us. 4 of them are girls between 21 and 24. Or more easily translated 1 in law school, 2 seniors and one junior in college. My nephew is a freshman this year. So there will be at least 5 that fit into that age catagory.....This will be the second Christmas cruise on HAL and we enjoyed it last time.

Sails, sounds like your crowd will be perfect. My older son graduated 2 years ago and is working. The younger one is finishing early, in December, and will be waiting to get his law school acceptances.

The reason I am looking into that cruise rather than Celebrity frankly is the price. We love Celebrity, and know that there would be families on that, but with private college tuitions being what they are, I have to think twice. Not to mention law school.

ibcruisin, perhaps your type of response is the reason she asked the question in the "tone" the way she did??

If, and I repeat IF, I came off as "lecturing", that is because she asked for some specific answer(s) and I was able to assist.

Why is it that some people, not just this thread, feel the need to be so abrupt and jump down peoples' throats because of HOW they pose a question?

Come on all, let's lighten up a bit and give honest, straight forward answers WITHOUT bickering.

Not trying to butt in, but the poster you address this to was probably speaking about post #5, wherein the OP speaks about a previous response to the question (not on this current thread) and uses the word "lecture."

Not trying to butt in, but the poster you address this to was probably speaking about post #5, wherein the OP speaks about a previous response to the question (not on this current thread) and uses the word "lecture."

hrhhdhd, I dot not consider you to be butting in:) I did not read the OP's comment well enough, obviously, or I'd have picked that up.

I do not mind being corrected when I am wrong. So please correct any mistakes I make.

You know the old saying, "To err is human," Let me tell ya, I is quite human... A LOT!!!!:eek:

My apologies to ibcruisin for the error.

Thank you hrhdhd for mentioning this and you are exactly right at what I was saying.

My apologies to ibcruisin for the error.

No worries Joanie, I do accept your apology :)

Archived